French Revolution again: The Scarlet Pimpernel

The Scarlet Pimpernel  by Baroness Orczy

published 1905

 



I recently read several novels about the French Revolution, and realized that I had been intending also to read this book – recommended by a couple of people, in the past and currently – here in the comments:

Johan22 July 2024 at 18:53

Everything I know about the French revolution I learned from the Scarlet Pimpernel. (Well, at least I am sure those books have coloured my impressions of it forever.)

Clothes In Books23 July 2024 at 17:31

Totally understandable. With me it was Biggles - if there had been a time-travelling entry with Biggles goes to the Bastille I would have known much more about the French Revolution.

So I got hold of it. It is certainly an easy read – a tense and exciting adventure, concerning the rescue of aristocrats from France. The Scarlet Pimpernel is the nom de guerre of the leader of a group of brave dashing chaps. It is impossible to spoiler this book now: Sir Percy Blakeney is the Scarlet Pimpernel, something which is theoretically only revealed a long way into the book.

Sir Percy seems to be a lazy, dandyish fop, easily dismissed and disregarded. We know better. His wife Marguerite – a Frenchwoman – has no idea that he is the brave Pimpernel. They initially loved each other deeply, but have become estranged after an incident which makes no sense (either as an inciting incident or in its ultimate sorting out).



She, trying to protect her brother, accidentally gives away information which implicates the Scarlet Pimpernel. Then she realizes what is happening:

Percy . . . Percy . . . her husband . . . the Scarlet Pimpernel . . . Oh! how could she have been so blind? She understood it all now—all at once . . . that part he played—the mask he wore . . . in order to throw dust in everybody’s eyes. [Ellipses in the original]

This is more than halfway through. She takes off to try to warn him and save everyone. There is a lot of jeopardy and exciting adventures: the structure, and the nature of the exploits are actually splendid. (Happy ending assured).


A pimpernel is a small red flower....

For a positive view of the book, do read my friend Chrissie: someone who loved The Scarlet Pimpernel as a teenager and decided to revisit it.

Are you sensing perhaps that I am working up to a big HOWEVER? It was an exciting and interesting book, but I had a huge problem with the simplicity of its views: those poor old aristos having a hard time while the wicked peasants rose up and behaved viciously and badly.



Of course the story of the Revolution is not straightforward, and no-one can read about the Reign of Terror without being horrified. But no reasonable person could read about the situation in France before the Revolution without being horrified. Nothing is black and white, but huge areas of life in 18th century France were simply indefensible. More than 100 years later the Baroness Orczy had had plenty of opportunity to balance the history, but made not the slightest effort to do so. It’s just an adventure story, but I couldn’t enjoy the judgement, the evil peasantry, the lovely aristos in danger, without the slightest consideration of what had come before, and the realities of what those aristocrats had done to deserve their fates.

that seething revolution, three hundred miles away, in beautiful Paris, now rendered hideous by the constant flow of the blood of her noblest sons, by the wailing of the widows, and the cries of fatherless children.

There had been a lot of wailing widows and fatherless children in the lives of those who became revolutionaries.

It is quite likely that if I had read it as a teenager I would have been enchanted by it…



When I looked it up, I found that a play of The Scarlet Pimpernel – also by Orczy – had preceded the book, which was basically a novelization. Everything about it has always been phenomenally successful – the play, the book and any number of films.

The book is seen as having introduced the idea of the dual-hero: the man who has a low-level life, perhaps rather despised, while secretly being a superhero. Mild-mannered Superman or Spiderman are seen as following in a direct line.

I doubt they would be quite so popular if they were rescuing English families from the US War of Independence, with the evil Americans described as wicked and heartless.

Baroness Orczy also wrote some detective stories – short stories featuring The Old Man in the Corner. He is one of the detectives parodied in the Agatha Christie collection featuring Tommy and Tuppence: Partners in Crime. (It’s The Sunningdale Mystery)

In the revered school stories of Antonia Forest, Nick and Lawrie join the Girl Guides and help form a new patrol, for which the name chosen is Scarlet Pimpernel. (Autumn Term) – not that they are in it for long.

Illos are cigarette cards from the NYPL collection.

 

Comments

  1. Not one fichu? No imaginary specks of dust on the Mechlin lace at a man's wrist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely correct - the book is full of lace and fichus. But I got carried away by the politics.

      Delete
  2. It's interesting to compare her detective stories with this one, Moira. They're so very different (at least in my opinion) in outlook, etc.. And don't get me started about the attitude in the book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I haveonly read a couple of her crime short stories, and am definitely left wanting to read more, despite my revolutionary arguments!

      Delete
    2. Of course, you are absolutely right, Moira! All I can say in my defence is that rereading something that made such an impact when I was a teenager seems to have taken me back to those innocent days, when it simply wouldn't have occurred to me to be critical in this way. And in its favour it does have a splendidly active female character. Chrissie

      Delete
    3. Absolutely, and as I say, I think I'd have been the same. And yes - she is excellent. I feared that her setting off to the rescue would prove a disaster, slowing down the men (as would have been the case in many books), but she was very good value.

      Delete
  3. Makes A Tale of Two Cities look almost well-balanced by comparison! At least Dickens showed how cruel the aristos could be, but he couldn't condone the revolutionaries' violence either. IIRC the Pimpernel films focus more on the action and romance than the politics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right - Dickens did make a real effort to be even-handed.

      Delete

  4. "Everything about it has always been phenomenally successful – the play, the book and any number of films."
    Including a Looney Tunes cartoon starring Daffy Duck as 'The Scarlet Pumpernickel' !

    https://archive.org/details/the-scarlet-pumpernickel-1950-restored

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't there even a Broadway musical once?

      Delete
    2. Daffy Duck sounds pure gold!
      Yes, I think there was a musical. The number of adaptations is startling.

      Delete
    3. Not only have I never read The Scarlet Pimpernel, I don't think I've even seen any of the screen versions (unless Carry On - Don't Lose Your Head counts ...)
      Sovay

      Delete
    4. Oh I saw that - I remember little about it except that I was the right age to enjoy it enormously.

      Delete
  5. I must have read this when young enough to focus on the romance - but I think I saw the movie first (I swoon for Anthony Andrews) so was predisposed to like it. I agree the innocent aristos and evil upstart peasants are overdone but the purported blood lust of the French Revolution always revolted me. I didn't like how the Opening Ceremonies in Paris last week made a joke of Marie Antoinette's severed head either! When I worked for Bantam Books years ago there was a really dreadful trilogy by Iris Johansen with book 2 set during the French Revolution. In one scene, several revolutionaries killed and drank the blood of some nuns who happened to be in the wrong place (Iris moved on to serial killers). UGH!

    Your review of Autumn Term predates my finding your blog! What a great book! I only found the Marlows as an adult but they quickly became favorites in my family. A kind fan once photocopied all the non-school books and sent them to me from Germany because they were so impossible to find at the time. Glad to say I own proper copies of all her books now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Revolutions - whether their underlying philosophy is 'good' or 'bad' - all seem to have their indefensible aspects. 'Liberty, what crimes are committed in your name!' as Madame Roland said at the guillotine.
      Nancy Mitford always said the French have very inconsistent attitudes on Marie Antoinette - she wrote dismissively about her and was very much excoriated in Paris (where she was living). 'Why do we dance on Bastille Day, then?' she asked...
      It's never simple, is it?
      I was lucky enough to read the Forest books as a child. I can remember picking up End of Term in the library and thinking 'maybe it's not a school story, with that title.' It blew me away, I read and reread it, and I've been a superfan ever since. It took me a long time to get my own copies of all the books though!

      Delete
  6. My favorite Sir Percy will always be Leslie Howard, and Merle Oberon the most stunning Marguerite. Not that the later versions haven't been very good! (But the Richard E Grant miniseries actually killed off Marguerite later in the series, which I just can't forgive.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Killing Marguerite sounds like a terrible mistake.
      Such a wonderful role, you can see why the great romantic leads queued up to play him.

      Delete
  7. Zorro must have been directly inspired by the Scarlet Pimpernel too, with a good bit of Robin Hood thrown in. I think Zorro first appeared in the 1920's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she obviously set off a whole raft of similar heroes. 1919 apparently.

      Delete
  8. I read the Scarlet Pimpernel books when I was pre-teen, and I've never quite dared reread them. I don't think I liked Marguerite much because Sir Percy - and his broad shoulders - was my first literary crush and I wanted him all to myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we were all like that with our teenage literary crushes - no-one else was good enough for them.

      Delete
  9. Yes, the negative judgement of the Revolution is very clear. One wonders whether worries about communists played a role in the negative depiction.

    It is amusing how many real-life rescuers have been giving nicknames based on the pimpernel theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose in Russia they were having their first go at revolution in 1905. She originally wrote about it in a 1903 play. Obv my knowledge comes mostly from unrespectabe fiction, but it seems as though there was a lot of fear of anarchists, bomb throwers, assassins in that era - with some justification.
      It is, yes, very interesting to see which characters/tropes completely enter the language. I don't think you'd have necessarily expecting Pimpernel. But obviously there was a need for a quick way of defining 'a secretive person, possibly with a double life, who quietly goes and saves & rescues others, and can't be found though they seek him here, they seek him there.'

      Once I started looking into it, it reminded me of Robinson Crusoe, who very much left the world of fiction to enter the world.

      Delete
  10. I always tend to view the French Revolution in much the same way that Sellar and Yeatman summed up the English Civil War as an 'utterly memorable Struggle between the Cavaliers (Wrong but Wromantic) and the Roundheads (Right and Repulsive)'. Idealogically, I'm with the rebels, but The Scarlet Pimpernel is such a wonderful book, with a gorgeous, dashing, romantic hero!














    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know, I thought of that too, but couldn't lay it out as nicely as you do! I looked up to see what they said about the French Revolution in fact, and it was intriguingly non-committal I thought.
      I think about their division into R& R and W&W about once a month - it's surprising how often it seems to cast a light on everyday life. Against considerable opposition, it may be the best line in the book....

      Delete

Post a Comment