The French Revolution & Hilary Mantel & Dickens

A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel

published 1992

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

published 1859

Thunder of Valmy by Geoffrey Trease

published 1960




I recently went to see the opera Andrea Chenier, by Giordano, at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden. It was a gala night, because it was the final performance by conductor Antonio Pappano, the much-loved music director at ROH for many years, and there was wonderful singing from Jonas Kauffman and Sondra Radvanovsky and an extraordinary atmosphere in the theatre – it was a delight to be there.

The plot concerns the French Revolution, and is loosely based on the story of the real-life Andre Chenier, a poet who (#spoileralert) did not survive the revolution.

This led me to think a lot about that period of French history, and to see that it might be time to read the only one of Hilary Mantel’s books that I have never read: A Place of Greater Safety, 1992.

I am a huge fan of Mantel – and the tribute I wrote for the i newspaper when she died, here, is probably the piece of work I am most proud of from the past few years. There are posts about her other books all over the blog.

But this book – mmm. It is 750 pages long, and very detailed, and very well-researched. She wrote it some time before it was published – she was terribly surprised that no-one thought it would be a bestseller, and that she couldn’t get anyone to take it.

She says: 'I had never been to Paris when I began to write. This did not matter. In my dreams of Europe, I had found the keys to the gate of an unknown city. For the constant and passionate imagination, no documents or passes are needed. It did not seem to me that I was writing of dead people or events that were distant and frozen. I was working at a transformative moment in the history of Europe… I was at one with the work I did.'

Of the reviews at the time, Vogue is helpful:

‘Concentrating on the tortuously interwoven relationship between its three most important protagonists, Robespierre, Danton and Desmoulins, Hilary Mantel has pulled off the apparently impossible … an ambitious, gripping epic … The host of minor characters and the swirling mob who form the necessary background to the story are never lost from sight, but are expertly marshalled on and off the bloodstained stage … a tour de force of the historical imagination’

 

Apparently another review said she should concentrate more on a novel and less on history – I can see the point of this rather aphoristic remark, and perhaps that is what she did in her masterwork, the Wolf Hall trilogy.

I set myself targets to read so many pages a day, and some of it was hard going. There is a huge number of characters, and because fact-based many of them have the same forename: Louis? Which one would that be? I read an e-book, and although there is a list of characters in the beginning that is not very helpful when you are on a Kindle. (and not that helpful anyway).



She did a remarkable job of showing us the lives of Danton, Robespierre and Desmoulins. I was unfamiliar with the story of Camille Desmoulins, while knowing something of the other two – he was a wonderful character:

‘Camille, you’re taking your solicitor to confession with you?’

‘A wise precaution. No serious sinner should neglect it.’

And: ‘I never know why Hope is accounted a virtue,’ Camille said. ‘It seems so self-serving.’

It is always helpful to remember that Gerard Depardieu played Danton in a 1980s film, as he seems natural casting and it is an easy way to picture him.



Robespierre is ‘the sea-green incorruptible’ and when I was at school I wondered what that meant. Aha, I thought today, it will be easy to find out now in the age of Google, but I couldn’t find any convincing explanation of what the phrase means. (I do know what incorruptible means – it’s the sea-green I’d like to know about).

I realized how much it helps when reading Tudor history that I already know a lot about it (lady-in-waiting called Jane? Well we know who she is) – much much less about French history. But boy do I know a lot about it now. I will say that by the final section I was truly enthralled – I knew what was going to happen, but it was still unbearably sad, gripping, tense, heart-breaking. I far exceeded my target for pages read - I couldn’t put it down as it moved towards its terrible ending (very Cromwell).

It made me think about the nature of revolution, of politics, of the cost to people, about leaders who squabble and then turn on each other.

OF COURSE (this is Hilary Mantel) she had some incredible turns of phrase and descriptions: 

- [Danton to Desmoulins:] ‘The filthy business was necessary, but at least I had the grace of soul to pretend it was nothing to do with me. You, you’d have fluttered up to take the credit for the Massacre of the Innocents. So don’t look down on me from whatever ledge of higher morality you’re perched on today. You knew. You knew it all, from the beginning.’

- Outside the door Fabre took out a silk handkerchief and dabbed his face. It had been the most unpleasant morning of his life – if you excepted the morning in 1777 when he’d been sentenced to hang.

- [the toddler] talked a lot now – mostly in a meaningless language, as if he knew he were a politician’s child.

I could see and imagine many of the characters very clearly. I was astonished to realize how young the main players in the revolution were, and how intricate the connections among them.

When I wondered how much Mantel had made up I remembered these words from her introduction to the novel: 'The reader may ask how to tell fact from fiction. A rough guide: anything that seems particularly unlikely is probably true.'

The revolutionary newspaper run by Jean-Paul Marat was called The People’s Friend, which was hard to take seriously as this was also the name of a particularly sweet magazine, full of nice stories, that you used to find in the dentist’s waiting room back in the day – and is still going strong, the longest-running women’s magazine in the world. (Marat’s journal lasted three years.)


One of these items is stained with the actual blood of Marat

 

When I’d finished the book, I COULD have read a serious factual book about the French Revolution, for interest, but instead I turned to Charles Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities. This was a sad disappointment – I loved this book when I was a teenager, with its heroic self-sacrifice, famous lines and touching romance. I am a big fan of Dickens, but this was not the book to reinforce that – it seemed sentimental and at times ridiculous, although you had to respect his wish to show the causes and results of the revolution, while ploughing on through a strange plot, an odd time structure, and some very stupid behaviour by the characters. But there were odd moments when I remembered why I had loved it all those years ago – the phrase ‘recalled to life’, and the sinister secret note reading

‘Drive him fast to his tomb. This, from jacques’

Came back to me in a flash and still gave me the genuine frisson. And Sydney Carton is at least an unusual and intriguing character.



I also read, for old time’s sake, Thunder of Valmy by Geoffrey Trease (1960). He wrote great books for children ( and has featured on the blog for his what-would-now-be-called-YA series of Bannerdale books) – and I do remember that when we did the revolution in history lessons at school, my nonchalant knowledge of the era, gained from this book, quite impressed the teacher – the oubliettes, the lettres de cachet, the three-tier system, the Tennis Court. (All of course feature in the Dickens too). And Thunder is still a great read – exciting and adventurous and giving a young person or an old person a great deal of useful background.

Comments

  1. I believe the description 'sea-green incorruptible' was first used by Carlyle in his history of the French Revolution. That doesn't explain what it means!

    I read A Place of Greater Safety when it came out and I remember that I liked it but nothing else about it. A Tale of Two Cities is not one of Dickens' books I'm likely to read again and, like you, I'm a huge fan. But, do admit, once met, the characters are unforgettable. Unlike Mantel's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's not just me! I think you're right about Carlyle. And I read one explanation online which said Robespierre was 'as incorruptible as the sea is green'. Which it isn't really...
      Time will tell if I find Mantel's French characters memorable...

      Delete
    2. I researched the phrase "sea green incorruptible" and got green eyes, green veins, green cockade in hat... The French just called him L'Incorruptible.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. This reminds me of being a teenager: I had a lot of questions about life, and I couldn't understand why it was so hard to get answers, and why no-one else was bothered. (eg why is the same word, cataract, used for a waterfall and for an eye problem?) As I say above, I LOVE the era of Google and looking things up instantly, but sometimes a problem is still insoluble...

      Delete
  2. It sounds rich and ambitious, Moira. And that's such a delicate balance, isn't it: how much story to tell vs how much background information to give. I love Mantel's writing, so at some point, I'll probably read this one. It may wait, though, because it sounds like this one needs an investment of time and energy (and this isn't a criticism; that sort of book can be fantastic).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's quite the commitment, but in the end I was very glad I had read it...

      Delete
  3. I haven't read that Mantel but A Tale of Two Cities was my favorite Dickens. This is possibly because I was a knitter back when I read it but also possible that it stood out during a year of high school when we read some books I hated like Invisible Man. And I do love Trease and remember as a child the peasant approach in this book, not atypical of him, although I didn't know that then - the American edition is titled Victory at Valmy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested to know if you'd reread the Dickens recently? Until a short time ago I would have said it was one of my favourite Dickens books too...
      I did like the knitting, though not sure why she had to knit secrets into the fabric. And still remember my charming brother saying 'and if she wanted to change to red wool she could just dip it intothe blood from the executions...'
      Trease was superficially similar to many YA writers of historical novel - but completely diffferent because he was so leftwing, and I loved that about him, then and now.

      Delete
    2. I too remember enjoying Geoffrey Trease's historical books in my youth. I wasn't aware of the Bannerdale series at that time - I like the sound of them and they're on my list, but all unaffordable or just plain unfindable at present.
      Sovay

      Delete
    3. They are hard to find: I reread all of them a few years ago (and enjoyed them very much) but it was quite the search to find them. As a picture of young people of their era they are fascinating and authentic-seeming. I remembered a lot about them.

      Delete
  4. I tried to read this years ago - long before Wolf Hall - because I liked some of her earlier novels so much. I got bogged down and lost interest. I decided that I wasn't going to go back to it and it went to Oxfam. I do like your quotations from it, but not enough to make another attempt.( I've been published in one of those periodicals - twice. Clue: no bloodstains).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! So impressed, need to hear more. Short stories...? When I started looking at the website for People's Friends, I was quietly impressed, it's obviously a very professional operation. I was thinking I might pick a copy up next time I'm in a newsagents.

      Delete
    2. People's Friend was beloved by one of my grandmothers - the other, however, considered it "soft" and had no time for it.

      A Place of Greater Safety is on my list of books I feel I ought to read, and possibly will read in that dim distant future when I have more time, but I keep picking it up in Oxfam and then putting it down again and drifting back to crime.
      Sovay

      Delete
    3. Yes I can see People's Friend would divide grandmothers.
      And the Mantel is a very heavy book to pick up, in both senses. I can see where other items would be more attractive.

      Delete
  5. Sorry. That was Chrissie. You probably guessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One was a crime short story set in a cathedral with a feel-good ending (the most published of all my short stories) and the other was my only non-crime short story about coming to terms with a death of a parent. I wouldn't say either were soft exactly but I know what Sovay's grandmother means - and The People's Friend is none the worse for that. Chrissie

      Delete
    2. Indeed it isn't, and to be fair to the People's Friend, that grandmother considered any form of reading "soft". If she found my mum reading a book as a child her usual reaction was "As you've got nothing to do you can turn out the kitchen cupboards" or similar. She had many sterling qualities but tolerance of interests she didn't share was not among them.
      Sovay

      Delete
    3. I love these glimpses of the past and grandmothers!
      And am definitely going to take a look at People's Friend

      Delete
  6. Everything I know about the French revolution I learned from the Scarlet Pimpernel. (Well, at least I am sure those books have coloured my impressions of it forever.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally understandable. With me it was Biggles - if there had been a time-travelling entry with Biggles goes to the Bastille I would have known much more about the French Revolution.

      Delete
  7. AToTC was my introduction to Dickens too, in English lit class in secondary school. It made me want to read his other work, which wasn't the case with every book we studied there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can work either way with literature studied in school, can't it? Put you off for life or introduce you to something wonderful...

      Delete
    2. EVEN AS A CHILD I was unimpressed by Geoffrey Trease, I'm afraid. His characters seemed nice middle-class twentieth century English children who didn't know they were stuck in the past, his sympathetic adults good decent progressives, even if they were labelled Robespierre or Lenin, and even then I was sure the past was a foreign country with some very nasty natives.

      Peter Vansittart edited a fine anthology, Voices from the Revolution, and wrote a characteristically aslant novel, Pastimes of a Red Summer, about the French Revolution.

      Delete
    3. I'm partially with you on this, in that I very much enjoyed many historical novels aimed at children, and learned a lot of history, but came to realize that in almost ALL of them, the children are children of the time of writing, not of setting. So books written in the 1950s - the children (no matter what era the book is set in) are all English public school pupils. (They might as well be in Enid Blyton). I think Trease was no worse than others, but better than some, and I really enjoyed them! Most such books lack nuance in describing the events, but I have lower standards than you, and think that's fair enough 😊. And at least he makes a change with his leftwing views and lack of twinkly-eyed loyal servants (my betes noirs in historical novels). (I am trying to decide if I have pluralised that phrase correctly, probably not)

      Delete
    4. It may have been because I confused Trease with Henry Treece, who even in his children's books tried to show hoe people thought differently. In his adult novels he went a lot further. The Green Man - his take on Hamlet - goes back further than Saxo Grammaticus and brings in King Arthur and Beowulf. Beowulf has an ex-christian missionary gone native who is writing the epic version of his life!

      Delete
    5. Henry Treece I found quite dry except on one very memorable occasion - I was ploughing through those children's books from the library, and borrowed one that it turned out had been mis-filed: it was a book for adults and it had a SEX SCENE, maybe more than one. Naturally I was delighted. As you say 'went a lot further'...

      Delete
  8. I think Roger is being too hard on Trease! His female characters have personality, humor, and ambition without being anachronistic (my pet peeve). I am not sure I ever reread A Tale of Two Cities. I have been thinking a lot about Dickens this week because I am reading Demon Copperhead (which unfortunately reminds me too much of J.D. Vance, a very unappealing individual).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm on your side, see above. And very good point about the female characters, he was ahead of his time.
      I decided I couldn't face Demon Copperhead. And I was never taken in by JD Vance: people tried to argue that Hillbilly Elegy was useful corrective etc, but I thought they were being too generous.

      Delete
  9. Females in the past often weren't allowed to have "personality, humor, and ambition" (nor were many men. It's why there were "twinkly-eyed loyal servants". They could only have "lives" at all through their employers) and had problems if they looked like they might have them. Even the ones who had these qualities were acted by men in plays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing that most drives me mad in books written now, set in the past, is the 'good' characters all having terribly correct views about feminism, gay rights, racism, pacifism. It's as much an anachronism as if they were moving around with jetpacks/

      Delete
    2. "But in the days of my childhood, if you were unhappy enough to be born a female, your soul was not supposed to soar above such joys as keeping a dickey-bird in a cage and feeding it with sugar and groundsel, and making woolwork slippers for your male relatives, and kettle-holders for the females, domestically inscribed “Tea is ready.” If you wanted to stretch your limbs, climb trees, or make a noise out of the very joy of your youth and health, you were regarded as something entirely beyond the pale, and your governess shook her head and told your grandmother, “I tremble for her future.” ~ Edith Cecil-Porch

      Delete
    3. Much of Flashman's appeal comes from his complete lack of "terribly correct views about feminism, gay rights, racism, pacifism."
      People who had having terribly correct views on one topic often had them for terribly incorrect reasons: the creationist Philip Gosse was opposed to racism becuase god created everyone.

      Delete
    4. Having never heard of Edith Cecil-Porch I googled her: a collection of fine and confusing names she had too!
      I assume you came across https://porches-of-edgarley.org/edgarley/text with its account of an archetypal Victorian family - respectability, concealed adultery and poisoning!

      Delete
    5. My goodness Shay you sent us down the rabbit-hole there. Had never heard the name before. I think we have two different Edith Porch people here - one who wrote satire and one who had the dramatic family. All making for a fascinating read.

      Delete

Post a Comment