Eurovision, Saki, and the Big Borzoi: 'everyone singing like mad'

Cousin Teresa by Saki (H H Monro)


From the short-story collection Beasts and Superbeasts, published 1914

 


It was the Eurovision Song Contest last night – a major fixture in the calendars of the UK and many other countries. You might think that the revered early 20th Century writer Saki would be hard to link with such an event, but bear with me…

We start with a memory from the early days of the blog: Possibly my all-time favourite Saki story (and it is a difficult decision) is Cousin Teresa. If you don’t remember, or have never read, the story, you might expect Teresa to be a typical Saki character: a family member, a difficult older lady perhaps, or a feisty young flapper. But far from it. Cousin Teresa is the subject of a music-hall song.

Cousin Teresa takes out Caesar

Fido Jock and the big Borzoi

The very idea that I might have to look up this quote, or check the wording, is risible: this song has been stuck in my head since I first read the story, I knew exactly the tune it should be sung to, and it used to be roared out by my family when the children were young – we made up many extra verses about friends and family, so it enlivened long car rides. “All the time everyone singing like mad”.

The slight but clever story still makes me laugh to think of it, with the cheery but dim Lucas describing how it will pan out – with the singer coming on and off stage with more and more dogs, dogs on wheels, and a big bang of the drum on Big Borzoi – “There’ll be a lot of applause there.”

And so: I would say this would make an absolutely wonderful Eurovision entry, and the staging is ideally suited to the big arenas. I long to see it.

 

I blogged on it in 2012 – I remember clearly that I LOVED the picture I had found, but also was slightly concerned because there was no description of Cousin Teresa in the story – was I breaking the wholly self-imposed rules of the blog? This wouldn’t cost me a moment’s thought now, but then I felt I had standards. (Soon dropped them.)




While I was looking for early 20th century riding clothes for the recent Flambards post, I came across the picture at the top, which immediately shouted Cousin Teresa to me: ‘Milady fares forth in a chic riding habit, and one of her borzois is begging to go along’. With some rearrangement it could be a verse from the song.

If you haven’t read Saki, or even just this story, I envy you because you could have such pleasure ahead of  you. There are a couple more of his stories on the blog: Morlvera the bad doll is here, and The Dreamer here, and I am very happy with the photos I found for those posts too. The Chief Guest Blogger once described Saki stories as intensely-plotted and emotionally draining.

I think both Cousin Teresa pictures are excellent, no need to say one is better than the other…

The top one is from one of the collections at the NYPL,

The other Cousin Teresa is actually visiting a dog show - the image comes from Wikimedia Commons.

Eurovision has featured on the blog before, and yet again, I believe you would never guess why. In 2014 a drag queen, Conchita Wurst, won the competition for Austria. The following year her autobiography appeared in England, and I was called on by the translators to help with fashion descriptions. As I said then 'Clothes in Books can’t speak a word of German, but we do know about glitter-bespeckled tulle and we can understand a fishtail hem.'

Comments

  1. Thank you, Moira, for that wonderful mental picture of you and your family singing that song! I can just imagine it! And thank you for mentioning this story. Saki wrote some terrific stories, and now you're making me want to return to his work. As soon as I get that song out of my mind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a real earworm Margot! although of course it's possible that other people have a different tune than I have...

      Delete
  2. Another song by Saki - attributed to Septimus Brope who says "I daresay I know more about memorial brasses than anyone living, in fact I hope one day to publish a monograph on the subject," but subsidises his scholarship by writing music hall lyrics:
    "How you bore me, Florrie,
    With those eyes of vacant blue;
    You'll be very sorry, Florrie,
    If I marry you.
    Though I'm easy-goin', Florrie,
    This I swear is true,
    I'll throw you down a quarry, Florrie,
    If I marry you."
    Given Saki's knowledge and loathing of the subject, I wonder if H.H. Munro had a secret life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting prospect isn't it?
      I wonder did he make much money from his stories? - I don't really know if he was monied, successful, private means etc... Music hall must have been very rewarding.

      Delete
    2. No - or very little - private income. Lived off his pen and his wits. He began as a journalist in Russia. I'd love to see a collection of his journalism.

      Delete
    3. You can just imagine him cant you, living off his wits. Is there a biography of him? I love the stories so much, but I also often think about The Unbearable Bassington, such an incredibly sad book, such a recognizable type, but such a melancholy story.
      The character of Bassington would fit well in Succession.

      Delete
    4. There is a biography - can't remember the author - which gives evidence he was homosexual. On the other hand, Saki's sister mentions an engagement - though the one doesn't preclude the other.
      Munro himself was invalided out of the Burmese police with malaria, so I think the end of Bassington was probably autobiographical.

      Delete
    5. I will try to get hold of the biography. That ending always makes me go cold whenever I think of it.

      Delete
  3. About the Eurovision: Did you know that a large number of people travel to wherever the contest is being held every year to help out as volunteers? They take a couple of weeks off from their ordinary jobs to do this, and they see it as the highlight of the year. I only know because a secretary at the place I used to work did this. She said the same people did it year after year and they all knew each other, though they were from all over Europe. I found this snippet of information fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mean to be anonymous; I'm Birgitta.

      Delete
    2. No I did not know that, and agree that it is fascinating! What a nice thought.

      Delete
    3. Have you seen this interesting site: https://www.annotated-saki.info/

      Delete
    4. Oh my goodness, I could waste so much time on that site! Thanks, hadn't seen it before.

      Delete
  4. I'm reminded of the scene in 'Peter's Room' where the Marlow children are amazed to see their mother in a riding habit ready to ride side saddle. They're impressed but also prepared to be embarrassed if she looks different to everyone else at the hunt. Perhaps Tessa the Afghan hound could stand in for the Borzoi. They were / are both 'fashionable' breeds of dog amongst the well off. (It also occurs to me that Christine from Flambards could have been a contemporary of Pam Marlow in the earliest Marlow timelines. Perhaps they met out hunting?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lovely cross-pollination there, love the idea of Pam and Christine!
      And actually, when I was reading those final Flambard scenes at the Hunt Ball, I was thinking about Pam Marlow - do you remember in Ready-Made Family she tells the story that 'your father announced our engagement and the date of the wedding at the Hunt Ball' to get round the mean old grandmother. And Lawrie visualizes the Hunt Ball 'on rather the same scale as the court ball in the film of The Prisoner ofZenda with her grandmother scowling like Black Michael.' Absolutely would fit in with Flambards.

      Delete

Post a Comment