Now You See Them by Elly Griffiths


published 2019





[book extract]

‘A vespa’ said Joe who liked to use Italian words with Max, as if to emphasise their shared heritage. Max’s mother had been an Italian opera singer. ‘You know that’s what they call those little motorbikes,’ he added. ‘The ones the mods ride.’



Mods, young men in sharp suits who lounged about in coffee bars, listened to R&B music and occasionally roused themselves to have fights with rockers, had yet to surface in LA, but Max had seen plenty of them in Brighton. He thought that Joe’s single-breasted suit and thin tie owed something to the movement.



comments: Elly Griffiths’ Ruth Galloway books are beyond criticism in my view – I love them unrelentingly. I’ve been with them since very early on, and I am very excited that the 13th book, The Lantern Men, is out in February. I can’t wait. But that made me realize that I had fallen behind in looking at Griffiths’ other books. Though my commitment can’t really be doubted: at the end of 2018 I loved The Stranger Diaries, a standalone. The latest Ruth book, The Stone Circle, I read breathlessly a year ago, then had to do some re-reading of earlier books from the series, as the plots looped round together. I re-read the festive short story Ruth’s First Christmas Tree every year. And also in 2019 Griffiths started ANOTHER series with a YA book about a schoolgirl detective, A Girl Called Justice.

But this one – the fifth of her Brighton Mysteries – came out in October 2019, when the blog was having a sabbatical. Time to catch up before being overtaken by the next one…

And this series just gets better and better. They are crime stories set in the recent past, and the wonderful seaside city of Brighton is the ever-important backdrop. By now it is 1964, and the regular characters have moved on a fair bit in their lives. Max is in Hollywood, a star married to another star. Edgar and Emma are busy with their lives and children, Ruby has a very successful TV magic show. They are reunited at the funeral of the excellent character Diabolo – he was quite old, so fair enough, but we will miss him in the books.
There is an elaborate, and very well-worked-out, crime plot, and much period detail, and of course the mods and rockers whose Bank Holiday fights in Brighton were such a very real feature of the time. There is Griffiths’ great writing - this example is Max thinking about why he got married:
He had looked into [her] eyes and had seen the promise of escape, a different life, a different identity. When he was in Cairo during the war Max had seen a man performing the Indian Rope Trick, the rope ascending upwards, seemingly without human interference. [She] had been his rope; he had grasped onto her and she had taken him towards the light.
The real-life girls’ boarding school Roedean plays a part – faint echoes of the abovementioned schoolgirl detective series.



Griffiths is always good on the clothes:

She watched [her] descend the area steps:capri pants, a fisherman’s sweater, brown hair, jaunty beret. Same Collins.

[Actually Jean Shrimpton in 1964, from Kristine’s photostream]

And funny moments:
‘What do you think you’re doing? Turning up on my doorstep with a woman dressed up as a policeman.’ 
‘I am a policeman,’ said Meg.
As ever the limited opportunities and minor and major annoyances for women of the era feature in the book, but not in a propaganda-ish way, it’s just factual, and the women have their own views of them.

This is such a Brighton book, like Graham Greene’s Brighton Rock. The pier , the promenade, the ‘policemen in white helmets’.



Teenagers are a new and exciting breed, and there is a tiny sliver of light in the lives of gay men as Brighton is so very slightly more tolerant than other places at that time. A character blows ‘the froth from something purporting to be a cappuccino – the coffee craze had really hit Brighton with a vengeance.’

All human life is there, from the posh schoolgirls to Madame Astarte Zabini the fortune teller. Wild moped rides and underground tunnels, and girls gone missing. Danger and jeopardy and crime, but also the basic good-heartedness which is always present in Griffiths’ books. And at the end a really encouraging hint about the future for this particular series.

Elly Griffiths can write as many as she likes so far as I am concerned, and I will carry on reading them forever.

See the labels below for more on any of these subjects.
























Comments

  1. One of many reasons I like Elly Griffiths' work as I do, Moira, is her ability to evoke a time and place and local culture, and it sounds as though she doesn't disappoint here. And I have to say, I like it in a series when characters move on, do different things with their lives, and evolve, as real people usually do. Griffiths has let her characters do that, and I think it makes them stronger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot - and I totally agree. Griffiths' characters really do live on the page and in our heads, and they are endlessly intriguing...

      Delete
  2. Moira, with such a positive review, I'm almost tempted to read this or one of Elly Griffiths' other books. The setting, the characters, and the mood/atmosphere are all quite appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant, I think it would be well worth your trying one of her books: I think you would like them. She is one of the authors that I NEVER have any qualms about recommending.

      Delete
  3. I've been reading through Griffiths' Ruth Galloway series, slowly but surely, and it's definitely the characters that keep me going back for the next book. As for the other series and the stand-alones, I've read only The Stranger Diaries, which had (for me) an anti-climactic solution/ending. I'll try a few more though, based on your recommendation. Thank you! -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy them Kate. I do love them all, but I have a definite order of love, with Ruth and Harry at the top. I want to know what happens to them they way I would if they were family or close friends...

      Delete
  4. Lovely images for this post. Clearly I will never read all of Griffiths' books, I have read four of the Ruth Galloway series and nothing else. I do plan to start this series eventually and will probably continue on the Ruth Galloway series steadily. For some reasons the books don't show up at the book sale (or all get taken before I get there).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a very prolific writer, which is a good thing in my view! If I had to choose, it would be the Ruth and Harry books that I concentrated on. But I enjoy the others to keep me going till the next in my favourite series. I don't know how popular she is in the US, which is probably key to her popping up in the booksale.

      Delete
  5. I quite like the sound of this one! I should read something by her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely there's something in the tubs? One of my favourite current authors.

      Delete
  6. Doesn't she have yet another series, about magicians? Have you read any of them? I've enjoyed the Ruth books but haven't tried any others yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and there's a few of them on the blog. I liked them, but not as much as the Galloway books. But I've never read an Ellie Griffiths book that I didn't like! this is a link to a post on the most recent one in the Brighton series http://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2020/01/now-you-see-them-by-elly-griffiths.html and this is a link to the first one http://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-zig-zag-girl-by-elly-griffiths.html

      Delete

Post a Comment