Recalled to Life by Reginald Hill
published 1992
I’ve worked my way through rereading all the Dalziel and
Pascoe books – I explain all in this post
Dalziel
& Pascoe, an Overview: the Early Years
and give a rating for the first 11 books.
That brings us to Recalled to Life, which at the
moment (and this may change) is my favourite in the series. Over a couple of
years he did three masterpieces: this one, Pictures of Perfection, and On
Beulah Height
I’ve already looked at Pictures, in the onslaught of
blogposts on village fetes earlier this year.
Villages,
Reginald Hill, and Pictures of Perfection
I have a feeling that for most people they might choose one
of these three as the best – although there was still a lot of great work
coming later. Share a different opinion in the comments.
Hill was always an adventurous writer, changing the styles
of the books along the way, not constrained by the overall genre of police
procedurals, and this one is different from those that came before.
It’s unusual in that Hill often has upmarket characters
amongst his very varied casts of characters, but he does not write what would
be thought of as country house mysteries, and this one kind of is – but only
just.
It’s also a very intriguing cold case, and very modern in
feel for something written more than 30 years ago.
Recalled to Life looks
back at a crime at a country house party in 1963, with very strong echoes of
the Profumo
scandal of that era – it’s mentioned in the text.
Dalziel was a young copper working with a much-admired superior, Walter
Tallentire. The question now arises – was there a miscarriage of justice? It’s
a fantastic setup: the crime is being re-investigated from outside, but Dalziel
has parallel sleuthing to do.
BUT we know that Dalziel cannot have been corrupt or
careless, and nor was the man he admired so much, so one whole raft of
possibilities is ruled out – which limits things, you would think. But Hill of
course finds other options…
Savour this conversation between Dalziel and Pascoe to give
you an idea:
‘All I’m saying is, I’m not going to sit back
and let them make out Wally got it wrong.’
‘So what are you going to do
about it?’
‘Dig a few old bodies up. Talk
to them.’
‘And how do you propose
getting them to talk back? By holding a seance?’
‘Sarky! Nay, lad, you’re the
clever bugger. Yon foreign fellow who went drifting around the Med after the
Trojan War, what was his name?’
‘Odysseus? Or Aeneas?’
‘The one who went down to hell
to talk to the dead. Remind me, how did he manage to get them to talk back?’
‘I think they both went,’ said
Pascoe. ‘And if I recollect right, they both used a similar method. To get the
ghosts to speak, they had to dig a trench and fill it with blood.’
‘I knew I could rely on you,
lad,’ said Andrew Dalziel. ‘That’ll do very nicely.’
You couldn’t have paid me to stop reading it after that. A
trench full of blood!
The book mixes up true crime and what we’d now think of
as podcast style, but also harking back
to the golden age in a post-modernist way. It gives a very good picture of an era when life in the UK was changing, with the loosening up of life in the 1960s.
It’s very compelling, and has enough fake solutions to
leave Christianna
Brand (the Queen of this trope) standing.
The top picture is (look at the car) American, but still had
that look of poshos arriving at a country house at the correct time, ready to
cover up murders and other crimes and stick to their own kind. It is by the
ineffable Toni Frissell. (And there is plenty of American content in the book, one way and another)
B/W picture is of a 60s pop singer called Donna Loren.
The title, epigraph and chapter headings all come from the Dickens
novel A Tale of Two Cities, and there is a character nicknamed Pimpernel.
More on all this -including the phrase Recalled to Life - in my French
Revolution posts of
2024.
I am definitely keeping Recalled to Life, and will surely read it
again.
Next on the chronological list is Pictures of Perfection,
already done, see link above. After that:
The Wood Beyond 1996
Looking at Peter Pascoe’s great grandfather who died in the First World War
– intensely awful story.
Very slight SPOILER but revealed early on:
The GGF was wrongly executed for cowardice (and even if he had
been guilty…) Ties up with modern day case in a most unlikely way. Too sad, hard
to read.
Contains this wonderful quote as the police attend a crime
scene in bad weather:
‘Watching Dalziel getting into oilskins and
Wellies through the streaming glass, Wield was reminded of a film he'd seen of
Houdini wriggling out of his bonds while submerged in a huge glass jar.
And after that the next book is On Beulah Height, post
coming soon.
Fashion:
Mrs. Winston Guest (LOC) | Frissell, Toni,, 1907-19… | Flickr
File:Donna
Loren 1964.jpg - Wikimedia Commons


At first I thought that the top photo was an ad for the car! Then I thought it didn't look "phony" enough. I looked up Mrs Guest on Wiki, she was quite a gal and would probably have fit into a country house very well.
ReplyDeleteI think it's great that you're going through this series again, Moira. Some of them really are excellent. This is one of those, in my opinion. I do like the two timelines, if I can put it that way, and it is interesting how Hill put in just a touch of the country house murder trope. I thought the solution was well done, too. Now you're inspiring me to try to find some re-read time...
ReplyDelete