The Mirror Crack’d From Side to Side by Agatha Christie

The Mirror Crack’d From Side to Side by Agatha Christie

published 1962

 

 


A great favourite from the later Marple era: St Mary Mead has moved with the times, there is a new estate (the Development), and Gossington Hall – a key location in the 1942 Body in the Library - has been bought by a filmstar, Marina Gregg. The background of modern life is done well: Christie  manages to shelve her old-person grumpiness and see the good aspects of modern life as well as gently poking fun at change. The everyday scenes are particularly appealing - the book is rooted in reality despite its film studio connections. And the film studio moments were real in their own way, as in this era the Margaret Rutherford Marple films were being made. Those films are problematic in various ways, and Christie agonized over them, but she certainly knew her stuff. The book is dedicated to Margaret Rutherford – the two women were friends, despite the difficulties of the films.

Marina Gregg agrees to hold a charity fete in her house and grounds, so many many people are milling around: villagers, local worthies and filmworld riffraff. Someone dies when a drink is poisoned. Great setup…

As usual, there are limited but sometimes odd details of clothes and appearances. One visiting filmstar has Fiji Islander hair – I feel this was cultural appropriation and perhaps not a real thing. There is a surprising and enjoyable description of a fashion shoot:




On the pavement near Keats’ house a pretty little scene was being enacted. A slim girl wearing diaphanous organdie was standing clutching an immense black hat. On her knees, a little way behind her, a second girl was holding the first girl’s skirt well pulled back so that it clung around her knees and legs. In a deep hoarse voice a girl with a camera was directing operations.

(picture from Clover Vintage Tumbler, from the 1950s)

The plot is very well done and clever. It has been seen as controversial because of similarities with a real-life incident, which Christie says she was not aware of. I don’t think there’s anything to gain in pursuing it. Books will always be written, and sometimes there will be unlucky coincidences.

Miss Marple is at her best in this book – furious with her carer/companion, escaping when she can, being scarey at the right moments.

film star in casual mode

There have been a number of adaptations – it is ideally suited for a lavish production, with some great roles for older women. Elizabeth Taylor and Claire Bloom have both played Marina Gregg, but I must put a word in for Lindsay Duncan in the most recent BBC adaptation: a key moment comes when Marina Gregg ‘looks like the Lady of Shallott’. The doom or curse has come upon her – I think Duncan does a magnificent job with this quite difficult moment.




The question of adoption features in the book, an issue that crops up several times in the oeuvre – particularly Ordeal by Innocence and Mrs McGinty’s Dead. Christie’s own mother was adopted – though in an informal family setting – and one of the biographers, Laura Thompson, thinks this was significant feature in all their lives, casting a long shadow. However this is rather thrown away here.

And that leads into my small criticism. There’s a slight feel that Christie introduced too many elements, and then wasn’t sure what to do with them: a loosening of the plot reins. We could have done without the revelation about Marina’s first marriage, and I defy anyone who  hasn’t read it in the past week to say exactly who Giovanni was, and what happened to him and why. And what on earth is that story about the fence and the parlourmaid?

But perhaps I am over-analysing – it is still a good strong entry, keyed to a time and place, with a genuine attempt to update St Mary Mead without JUST saying (as she sometimes did) ‘oh everything was much better in the past’.

The picture of a fete is from the National Library of Wales

Standing in for Marina Gregg in filmstar mode is Gloria Vanderbilt, photographed by Toni Frissell in the 1960s, from the Library of Congress, and (in the blue dress) another Toni Frissell picture.

 

 

Comments

  1. I do like this one, Moira. I love Miss Marple's friendship with Dolly Bantry here, and of course, the plot is a great blend of mystery with (I think I can say this without spoiling the novel) real sadness. And what a great look at the village get-together, and everyone's reaction to Marina Gregg...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, and how nice that Miss Marple also makes a friend of young Cherry. And most certainly, it's a book with real emotions in it.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps the Fiji hair was the fashionable Italian cut which Christie loathed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe it was like the "afro" of later years?

      Delete
    2. I'll need to find a pictur of the Italian cut! Afro sounds possible also

      Delete
  3. How a out a compilation of Christine's views on current fashion from violet powder to sloppy Joe's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a great idea! she's unpredictable, because she uses real items and trends, but I think she also makes things up. I have spent some time in the lifetime of the blog trying to track down the likes of Fiji hair and Collegian hats, and have concluded she invented them. But the jumper suits, the wool stockings and so on were all real.
      A list is a really appealing notion...

      Delete
  4. Angela Lansbury played Miss Marple in the movie version, with Elizabeth Taylor. I've always wondered if that inspired someone to cast her as that certain iconic TV sleuth later on! She wasn't quite dithery enough for my idea of Miss M, and she certainly wasn't the sort of person who could be overlooked....and my gosh, in one scene she was actually smoking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed I should have mentioned that! And I wouldn't be at all surprised if it pointed her in the direction of Jessica Fletcher.

      Delete
    2. The movie also kind of cheated us on the Marple quotient. She hurt her leg at the start of the film, and most of the interviewing was done by Dermot Craddock (her nephew here). Of course many liberties were taken in the dialogue, to bring in more of a Hollywood feel!

      Delete
    3. That was Edward Fox was it? that film had quite the cast, they all loved playing movie people I think. It does seem a mistake to knock out Miss Marple. If it was a different actress I might suspect she wanted an easy time, but we all know Angela Lansbury is the consummate trouper!
      I saw her on stage in the West End of London when she was 88, Madame Arcati in Blithe Spirit, she was astounding, dancing around the stage like a teenager!

      Delete
    4. Yes she was a wonder. You were so lucky to see her! And that was another role where she was following Rutherford! Fox did a few other films with the director, I've wondered if they were chums and that's why Craddock's part was expanded.

      Delete
    5. So now I had to look up the director! He had quite the portfolio, James Bond and some very British action films.

      Delete
  5. I remember enjoying this book when I read it, and also enjoying the Angela Lansbury film, although she certainly did not fit the image of Miss Marple very well. I don't remember any specifics about the story and there was a lot going on.

    I had forgotten that this was the first book that I noticed Miss Marple getting older and feeling it, and it made me sad.

    We have started watching Murder She Wrote with Angela Lansbury. I had never watched them before at all and am amazed at how fun they can be. We are in Season 3 I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about Angela Lansbury and Miss M - I felt the same way about Geraldine McEwan: not the book Miss Marple, but enjoyable anyway.
      I watched Murder She Wrote when they were new, and enjoyed them - they were SO successful, it's surprising really. I don't know what I'd make of them now, but it's encouraging to me that you like them.

      Delete
    2. I think the success of MSW was due partly to a great time-slot and partly to Lansbury's great talent. We had never seen any female leads like her on TV! And some credit should go to the show's creators, who also came up with "Columbo."

      Delete
    3. They certainly knew what they were doing...

      Delete
    4. I agree with Marty, Angela Lansbury is such a good actress and although the plots can be a bit unbelievable, she makes up for it. We also enjoy the guest stars, Glen enjoys seeing how many he can identify.

      Delete
  6. I must have read this - I remember the changes in the village and Miss Marple being unexpectedly open-minded about them - but my memories of it are heavily overlaid by the various screen versions. I should re-read.
    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a good point. I am wary of adaptations, and try not be too snooty - and many of them are marvellous, even if not faithful.
      But what I am most wary of is saying 'well X in the film - that was not in the book', because I have turned out to be quite wrong in the past! I think I have a good memory, but...

      Delete
  7. Margaret Rutherford also had an "adoption" story of sorts. She and her husband (Stringer Davis, "Mr Stringer") agreed to be adoptive parents to a young adult writer, Gordon Hall. Gordon later wrote a biography of Rutherford, but was better known for having one of the first sex-change operations and then one of the first (legal) interracial marriages in the southern US. As Dawn Simmons she was quite notorious in her new hometown of Charleston SC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fascinating, thank you. There were a lot of slightly mysterious adoption stories around in those olden days - fuelled by a certain amount of shame and judgement, and also by people's reluctance to enquire too much. Questions that mustn't be asked.

      Delete
  8. I love reading about fetes (as you now know) but this is a Christie where you remember the plot the minute you start a reread (not always the case with her books but not necessarily a bad thing because you notice her plotting more), if nothing else. I don't think I have ever seen a Christie-based movie except a bizarre new one a few months ago set in Venice but this sounds like a good one to hunt down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true - I always say a middling book is better for re-reading because you don't remember it so well.
      I have seen a lot of Christie movies, and they are very variable, but this book stood up well to adaptation I think - with the provisos mentioned in comments above.

      Delete

Post a Comment