Ordeal by Innocence: ordeal by disappointment

Ordeal by Innocence by Agatha Christie

published 1958

 

 




Ordeal by Innocence is always described as one of Agatha Christie’s own favourites among her works, and with a theme that she liked very much: how murder affects those left behind. Another favourite theme features too: motherhood, adoption and maternal love gone wrong.

I have never put it high up on my own list of Christies, and have never blogged on it, so decided I would try to reread it with no preconceptions, and see what I made of it.

And I’m sorry to say, the answer is: Not much, I had all kinds of complaints about it. It was worse than I remembered, quite a dismal experience.

It’s a good setup: Dr Arthur Calgary returns from a two-year Antarctic expedition and finds that he was a key witness in a  murder case. He could have given an alibi to young Jacko Argyll, who was accused of killing his mother. Jacko was found guilty, and died soon after in jail. Now that Dr Calgary has come back and realized what happened, he goes to visit the family in their rather awful house, ready to give them the good news of Jacko’s innocence.

So my first big problem is that Dr Calgary is an idiot. He is portrayed as some kind of brilliant outsider, coming in to sort everyone out and find out the truth. But he cannot see that if he proves Jacko innocent, then someone else must be guilty. He seems quite exceptionally stupid, and takes an awfully long time to realize what he is bringing with his news. He is terribly surprised that his revelations are not entirely welcome. His being clever enough to solve the crime seems very unlikely in the circs. At one point he has the nerve to say ‘he wondered if she still failed to understand the full implications of his story.’ Well considering how long it took him…

Next problem is the actual murder plan.

[My usual SPOILER WARNING applies – I won’t name anyone, and consider that my comments would only be a spoiler if you were  halfway through the book or about to start it, in which case come back when you have finished it]

The motive seems to be completely inadequate and not properly explained at all. A financial aspect is thrown in – ‘I expect X and Y’ without any proper backup.

And then there is the question of the alibi. Someone sets out to establish it as a sure thing  -  but apart from its being a particularly chancy one (suppose no-one had come along?) the person involved apparently completely fails to initiate the most basic discussions.

In the circumstances you would make sure you knew exactly who you were dealing with, and there were life details available which would absolutely ensure that the person could be tracked down. Yes, yes all that about the road accident was unfortunate – but it didn’t change anything for the other person involved, who surely would have had plenty to suggest in their defence.

Next thing – nothing happens in the book. Dr Calgary turns up with his surprising news. Everybody has long tortured conversations and thinking sessions. Right at the end there is a flurry of violence and almost no-one is left to accuse.

And finally, I did not find the central relationship  behind the crime convincing. Christie has quite a line in hidden relationships, eg Death on the Nile,  Evil Under the Sun, The Mysterious Affair at Styles, and usually you can nod your head at the end and say ‘Yes, fair play Agatha, I’ll take that.’ But this one seemed very hard to imagine. Simply claiming that Person A was of a type to appeal to Person B didn’t make sense.

And it was never made clear – was this a crime that was planned only a few minutes before it happened? Because that seems to be the only option, and makes it all even less convincing – in terms of persuasion, co-option or coercion. The mind boggles at the thought of what exactly Person A and Person B said to each other.

Wholly nonsensical.

And  if you think any of that is over-controversial -  you may need to avert your eyes NOW.

I didn’t really care that the story was dramatically altered for the recent BBC adaptation: maybe Sarah Phelps should have called it something else, but I thought the story was greatly improved in fact, with a much more memorable and bone-chilling explanation, and incredible final scenes. There’s a gif of a few seconds from this programme – you can see it here too – I’d rather watch that on a loop than read the book again.

via GIPHY


Let’s face it - I may be drummed out of the Golden Age detective cabal for saying all this. (Please let me carry on being part of the Secret Santa)

You can find a much more sympathetic view of the book over at Kate Jackson’s Cross-Examining Crime blog, and she does make very good points about the theme of doing good and it going wrong.

In addition, there are virtually no clothes mentioned in the book at all. Honestly. A dark dress, and then just warm coats for the women… ‘a fur-collared tweed coat’ and ‘a heavy tweed coat with a dark green skirt and sweater underneath’.

Black and white pictures from Clover.

  

Comments

  1. Drummed out or not, Moira, you're more than entitled to your opinion. I never thought this was Christie's best, either, and you're right; Calgary doesn't strike one as the sharpest knife in the drawer. There were some things I think I liked better than you did, but to be candid, I think Christie did much better with other stories. It is a good setup for a story, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot! Luckily she wrote so many fine books that we can concentrate on the good ones and have plenty to read...

      Delete
  2. From my vague memories of this book, I saw Calgary as a pushy nosey-parker. I also wondered why he didn't just go to the police, and leave the blasted family alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - and I think what got me was that I thought EVERYONE behaved in an annoying way.

      Delete
  3. Definitely remember this as NOT one of my favourites. And I have an objection which I can't mention without spoilers! Generally speaking anyone in a Christie novel can be guilty, but there is one thing that can't happen ... and when I realised that, I also realised who the murder was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha interesting. Need to know. I have an inkling, but if I were to say Five Little Pigs....?

      Delete
    2. You would be spot on. Love that we can almost read each other's minds! Chrissie

      Delete
    3. Yes exactly. And I knew it had to be you...

      Delete
  4. I re-read this fairly recently and (being the mother of two adopted children myself) was particularly disturbed by the attitude to adoption - that this can never be good, that you can never love adopted children as your "own" and that they can never be happy. Better a bad biological mother than an ever so good adoptive one is the message - which Christie conveys in several other novels. I wonder why she was so adamant about this. She was not adopted herself, not did she give up a child for adoption (as far as we know). Have you any idea, Moira? I have just started reading Lucy Worsley's biography but not gotten very far yet. It'll be interesting to see if she touches on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she does have a very strong attitude to adoption, it comes up several times - Gowri below gives a very good account of it , as I was going to do myself, but no need!

      Delete
  5. I do have an explanation for this! Agatha's mother Clara was put up for adoption because her mother felt that her limited financial means would not be enough to give the young girl all advantages. So while her brothers got to stay home, Clara was sent to her aunt's house (mother's sister) to live. She always has the feeling of being unwanted by her own mother and passed on that sadness to Agatha. She talks about it in her autobiography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaaa! So that was it. I thought there must have been something personal lurking in the background. Thank you! (I did read the autobiography many years ago but remember very little of it. Must read it again.)

      Delete
    2. Gowri: thank you, I think you are absolutely right. Laura Thompson in her biography of Agatha Christie also goes into it in some detail, and is convinced that it had a lasting effect on the whole family.

      Delete
    3. Birgitta: it's interesting because, as critics have pointed out, it is hard to take many conclusions from the books about her views - but I think this one is very clear, it comes up in Mrs McGinty's Dead too. I think she is very specifically talking about taking a child away from an existing family, rather than a child who is alone or orphaned.

      Delete
  6. I agree with you about Sarah Phelps version. I was a bit surprised when I watched it because I thought I knew who did it, though having read the book a long time ago I was a bit hazy on the details - but Phelps' version was televisually and dramatically better - the brooding, toxic atmosphere in the house and the murder reveal made emotional and psychological sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pleased you agree! It was shocking and memorable I thought.

      Delete
  7. I loved this book when I read it, but I was like 12 at the time. It was probably the most adult book I had ever read. I feel it's kind of a proto PD James. When I reread it I still enjoyed it but that was probably 20 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good point about it resembling PD James - I had never thought of that, but that is exactly what it is like!

      Delete
  8. I think this was definitely one of Christie's more complicated books, and it's not for everyone. I agree with you that Calgary may have been accomplished in his field, but he's an idiot outside it. You've just upset a huge applecart and blown the whole family up, how is anyone going to react well to it?
    I do like Tina, she's probably my favorite character in the whole book. Librarians unite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with you, and I like Tina too. I tried to find a nice picture for her in her dark dress with white collar and cuffs - failed, but have since found one, too late.

      Delete

Post a Comment