The Watersplash by Patricia Wentworth

The Watersplash by Patricia Wentworth

 

publication date usually given as 1951, but listed as 1954 in this copy

 

 


[excerpt] The sewing-party at the Vicarage was breaking up. It had been started rather humbly and tentatively by Mrs Ball, who was interested in the Save the Children movement, but it had proved quite a success. Friday evening found most of the available women in the neighbourhood plying a charitable needle in the Vicarage drawing-room. It was a magnificent opportunity for the exchange of news and views, and every woman nourished the hope that to her, and to her alone, there would some day be imparted the secret of the really delicious cake which always made its appearance at half-past nine.

 

 

comments: Such a lot to say! My long post will match its subject: The Watersplash is quite a discursive and full book, taken a leisurely pace in a good way, with more details of village life than normal.

The real surprise is that the plot is not obvious – it seems it to begin with, and then you think - inverted mystery? Is it more like, say, an  Anthony Berkeley book (not something I expect to think about Wentworth)? Things clear up later (there really aren’t many people left), and there are un-crime-related clues as to who might be pushing people in the titular watersplash to drown.

 Don’t want to SPOILER, but.

 

In a recent review of a Jilly Cooper book I said that no-one who was kind to animals or quoted poetry was ever a villain. Something similar here, though it is not those features in the negative that gave it away.

There are literary matters to discuss - one character is looking at Victorian novels including East Lynne (a key part of this post), and blog favourite Charlotte M Yonge ( specifically The Heir Of Redclyffe, known to generations of young women as ‘the book that made Jo March cry’). And then Wentworth turns snooty:

She read one sentimental novel after another with the pleasure which comes from a comfortable familiarity. She liked to know exactly what was going to happen. There must be no unpleasant surprises, no unforeseen developments. The lovely ward must marry her disagreeable guardian who is not really disagreeable at all but merely hiding a romantic passion under the cloak of austerity. The unjustly accused hero must be vindicated. Cinderella must have her Prince, and wedding bells must ring with a deafening persistence.

 

At one point Miss Silver is the recipient of some confidences:

Hearsay word of a dying man, a hypothetical will, a pretty girl who couldn’t even say that she had seen it, and who was doing her best to marry the beneficiary – the story was thin to vanishing point.

Not sure that this is thin, and it sounds very much like those novels being sneered at… which in turn would remind you of whose books?

We get another look at the photos in Miss Silver’s working area:

The photographs, framed in silver, in plush, in filigree upon velvet, which thronged the mantelpiece, the bookshelves, and every other available place except the writing-table, formed a record of more recent achievement. They were the gifts of people whom she had assisted in perplexity, freed from unjust suspicion, rescued from some unendurable predicament, and even saved from death. There were young men and girls, and babies who might never have been born if Miss Silver had not intervened to protect or exonerate their parents.

My contention is that the key difference between Miss Silver and Miss Marple is that  Christie’s sleuth doesn’t care about lives being shot apart – again, it doesn’t behove Wentworth to criticize happy endings.

About that ‘lost’ will - for once people are very sensible, unlike most Wentworth books, the whole subplot is surprisingly well done. I like this (SLIGHT SPOILER)

It was about half an hour later that she found the prayer-book. It was behind some more sermons, those of a still older Vicar, the Reverend Nathaniel Spragge, 1745 to 1785. There were three volumes, ‘Printed by Subscription’, and the prayer-book was wedged behind them. Susan looked at it with something approaching dismay. If Arnold Random couldn’t be more convincing than this, he had really better stick to being honest. Who on earth was going to believe that a dying man had climbed to the top of a book-ladder and taken out three heavy volumes in order to hide something which he had no possible reason for wanting to hide? She wouldn’t put it past Arnold to have left his fingerprints on the leather cover. Why on earth hadn’t he just poked the prayer-book in amongst the Victorian novels? The answer, of course, was that it might have been found.

The alleged heroEdward, is a particularly unpleasant specimen: I could not see any redeeming features. He was very rude, and even his friend says ‘It wasn’t only the words, it was the way he had said it, with a kind of savage exasperation.’ He almost deserves to hang for a murder he didn’t do, he’s awful.

Moving on to

The Patent Miss Silver Checklist

 

Coughing Miss Silver coughs 16 times – quite a low figure, but there are wide-ranging descriptions: gently, in an interrogative manner, absent-mindedly (surely not?), hesitating, reproving, hortatory. And her policeman friend Frank Abbot finds her cough ‘familiar and welcome.’

Unusual names  Ora, Clarice, Emmeline, Verona (who never actually appears), Kezia (presumed long dead). There are two quite separate characters  called Cyril.

How many people were out and about in the vicinity of the murder? A healthy six, in quite a remote and unlikely place.

Occupationsas in the recent post on The Eternity Ring, there is experimental farming again: There is to be a new agent. ‘Old Barr is retiring. He has only stayed on the last six months to oblige me. Edward can take right over. I told him he had better have a refresher course – latest up-to-date methods and all that kind of thing. Must produce more food for the nation – everyone’s duty.’

Clothes

He turned by the signpost and saw Susan walking along the lane in front of him with a suit-case swinging from an ungloved hand. The glove and its fellow had been thrust into the pocket of a blue swagger coat. She walked well, and she pleased the eye in the sort of impersonal way that it is pleased by any other agreeable feature of the landscape.



This lordly perception (very much in the mode of Jane Austen’s Mr Darcy) is from the awful Edward.

In blogposts, in Wentworth, in my talk on Agatha Christie, I often look at the ‘correct’ clothes to wear in the country, and the perils of being too smart. The question arises here too:



What a pity her brown coat and skirt were still at the cleaners. It would be just the thing for Greenings. The red was much smarter, and it was very becoming, but people in the country were so stuffy about what you wore. Any old rag of a tweed and you were all right, but the minute you put on something a little more up-to-date they looked down their noses and said you were overdressed.

She’d have been better sticking to her nurse’s outfit: ‘her cap and a highly becoming blue uniform with short puffed over-sleeves of white muslin.’



There’s even a bit of clothes detection or perhaps laundry detection – Miss Silver says:

It was of the same dark grey colour, but the material was not the same. What I noticed was that this item had recently been very wet. The stuff had cockled, and there were traces of clay upon it. An attempt had been made to remove them…

This was new to me, but cockled means to form wrinkles or puckers:

"thin or lightweight paper cockles and warps when subjected to watercolour”

Knitting mentioned a lot, but nothing interesting – pink vests for infants and a dress for young Josephine.

Etiquette/sociology in my most recent Wentworth entry, The Eternity Ring, we looked at the question of women marrying younger men, a subject about which the author seems to have felt strongly. Or is it just Miss Silver? Read the comments for more input, and speculation on Wentworth's own life. It comes up here too:

She might look young, but she must be several years older than Edward.

‘Ten years younger than her if he was a day!’

Emmeline lives in a house owned by her brother-in-law Arnold: her husband Jonathan is dead. This is a very similar setup to that in my recent Trollope read,  The Small House At Allington – again, the brother is nominally kind, but the widow knows she has no actual rights.

I thoroughly enjoyed this entry in the series, it was full of interest, and a rattling good read.

Photograph shows dressmaking class during WW2, part of the Make Do and Mend campaign, from the ever-wonderful Imperial War Museum collection.

Red flashy outfit from the Vivat tumbler.

Comments

  1. I enjoyed it too, though I confess that had I not blogged it I would have remembered very little about it and I read it eight years ago. My first Cyril in fiction was the Cyril in and Then There Were None: Swim out to the rock, Cyril!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Cyril catch, Curt!
      I enjoy the books very much , but can't say I remember the plots very well. Trying to work out if I've read one of her books before can be challenging. 'The one with the romantic misunderstanding' doesn't really narrow it down in Miss Silver World.

      Delete
  2. I have to say, Moira, I love your 'Miss Silver Checklist.' It sounds as though this one has some fascinating layers to it that I haven't always found in the Miss Silver books. And yes, there's a lot going on here, and much to keep track of as you read. There's something, too, about the early 1950's that interests me. I'm not sure why, but that era - sort of, but not exactly right after the war - offers a lot of possibility for novels, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, your praise for the Miss Silver Checklist means a lot to me - you are my ideal reader!
      And yes I very much agree with you - the 1950s are full of interest, and certainly added possible dimensions to detective stories.

      Delete
  3. Oh! The hats! Of course they had to wear hats to a sewing party/demonstration. And keep them on. I wonder how the lady on the left was permitted to arrive without hers...or did she compensate by wearing the only fur in the room?

    And this line... "If Arnold Random couldn’t be more convincing than this, he had really better stick to being honest."

    I swear, Moira, you almost make want to rush out and read this one. If I didn't have to put up with Edward as the apparent love interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world has changed so much since then, I love noticing hat references in books as a guideline. I was saying to someone in another comment that I'd love to do a hat anthology. We'd all read that, wouldn't we? 😊
      I cannot recommend Edward - I sometimes have my doubts about the Wentworth men (though some of them are lovely) but this one really is the end.
      So glad you enjoyed the same lines that I did, even if you can't bring yourself to read it!

      Delete
    2. I would definitely read your hat anthology - and buy several copies to give away as Christmas presents to friends and relatives as well. Go for it, I say!

      Delete
    3. Read a Hat Anthology? Absolutely. And I'd be itching to submit to it too....

      Delete
    4. I don't know if you've visited the blog Frock Flicks, but one of their big pet peeves is that women in historical films don't wear hats.

      Delete
    5. Birgitta - I'm really longing to do it now. and it would make an excellent Christmas book.

      Delete
    6. Susan: there's something very attractive about the idea isn't there? Keep your ideas in mind...

      Delete
    7. Marty: I don't know it, but must go and look. Yes, a big mistake. There's a 40s murder story where an older lady has to put herself in danger to fetch a hat, because to go outside without one would attract attention. That's the kind of detail that people can't imagine now.

      Delete
    8. Daniel Milford-Cottam22 January 2024 at 00:38

      Good Lord, I think the hat anthology discussion was YEARS ago now!!! The fact it's still being thought about even now (in the comments on a post on Up the Attic Stairs, I think) is rather telling....

      Delete
    9. Tee hee, yes indeed Daniel. If only I had the energy and drive to accompany my fascination with these subjects, and the joy I get from discussing with fellow-spirits - well, I'd have had that book out on the tables of Waterstones in time for Christmas...

      Delete
  4. Gathering up books to read against the predicted awful weather we're in for over the next few days; will have to add this one to the list. Edward sounds like a Mr Darcy manque (yes, I know I'm missing an accent, but I'm typing on a phone).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was definitely a good read from my point of view. I wondered if Wentworth was actually deliberately tipping the hat to Darcy, as he does say something very similar about Elizabeth Bennet.

      Delete
    2. Comparing Edward to Darcy is almost an insult to Darcy! That offhand way he treated Susan made me want to shake him. (At least Darcy learned not to be rude, eventually.)

      Delete
    3. And yet Wentworth writes him in such a way that - despite his awfulness - we KNOW he cannot be the murderer (don't want to spoiler) however much we dislike him....

      Delete
  5. Yes, pots and kettles sprang to mind when I read the description of the despised sentimental novels, because as you point out, you also pretty much know what you are going to get with a Patricia Wentworth novel - and there's no harm in that. Love the ladies in hats. Those were the days. Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wentworth was obviously well-read and an interesting character, and not Miss Silver - I'd love to know more about her - but she veers between those patrician judgements, and sometimes being funny and unexpected. It all helps to make her a good read.

      Delete
  6. I think the snarky-ish description of novels was Wentworth poking fun at herself as much as at other authors. She of all people would have known how formulaic the Miss Silver books were!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think so - see my comment above to Chrissie.

      Delete
  7. Re "experimental farming" there's also an important character in Orley Park who is thinking seriously about it. I got the impression Trollope didn't approve!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Miss Silver was as determined as Miss Marple to see justice done, but in the Silver universe the lovers would always be innocent! That wasn't true in Miss Marple's world....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's the big difference between them isn't it?

      Delete
  9. Do we think Wentworth was above (below?) poking a bit of at herself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I don't know! I wish I knew more about her in fact. Some authors shine through their works, you feel you know them, but I don't feel I do in this case! What do you think?

      Delete
    2. I do think she is aware of how her own books are as formulaic as the books she describes. I do think she makes fun of Miss Silver a few times, so I don't think find it implausible for her to make fun of her plots either.

      Delete
    3. You make a good argument! She most certainly did have a sense of humour, though could seem quite protective of Miss Silver?

      Delete
  10. I have a great deal of sympathy for anyone taking refuge in soothing and familiar novels; during the last two years of the previous administration over here, I buried myself in Anna Buchan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, sometimes comfort is just what you need. There was a time when I read a huge range of new books, I liked to try out new authors and form my judgement about whichever writers were in the news. Increasingly as I get older I think 'why not stick with the people I KNOW I like? I could just reread all the books I have enjoyed and that will take me nicely into my 90s if I'm so lucky as to survive...'
      I had to look up Anna Buchan: but I do know her under the name O Douglas.

      Delete
  11. I've read a lot of Betty Neels the last few years. Loads of clothing moments, yummy food, and yes, formulaic and guaranteed a happy ending.
    Edward was so annoying, I felt like Susan could do better than that git of a man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I will have to check out Betty Neels then. What an interesting life she had, she sounds lovely. And so many books!

      Delete
    2. You'll enjoy The Uncrushable Jersey Dress, a blog that reviews all of Betty's books. They list out the delightful food and clothing moments in the book, and they do not spare the humor- or the sarcasm!

      Delete
    3. I meant to add the URL! https://everyneelsthing.blogspot.com/p/undefinitive-neels-canon.html

      Delete
    4. I have just spent ages at that website, which is most impressive as I dont know the books! Very amusing and entertaining. I note that in 2010 they posted 746 entries! This is serious blogging. I had to work out what RDD was - I'm guessing Red-haired Dutch Doctor?
      But yes, right up my street with the clothes and the food...

      Delete
    5. That stands for Rich Dutch Doctor- Betty's husband was Dutch, which is why so many of her books take place at least partly in the Netherlands. Betty met him while she was nursing in Northern Ireland during the war. Interestingly, her husband Johannes apparently trained to be a male nurse after they moved to England- they lived in the Netherlands after WWII and moved back at some point. Unlike her heroines, Betty continued nursing after she married and retired as a Night Superintendent, which is when she started writing.

      Delete
    6. fascinating - and rich makes more sense than red-haired!

      Delete

Post a Comment