Agatha Christie Festival in Torquay

 


 


 

There has been a long delay in posting my report on this, apologies for that.

I had a tremendous time in Torquay – it was the first time I had attended the Festival, and it was great fun and I wished I could stay longer. Next year! There are many splendid events going on, of all different kinds: my talk was part of the Literary Festival.



I very much enjoyed the other events I was able to take in, including Brad Friedman’s excellent film about his long history producing Agatha Christie plays – this from the programme:  'In this short film which he describes as a “labour of love”, high school drama teacher Brad Friedman shares how he took every opportunity to introduce his students and local community to his favourite author.'

And you can view his film on YouTube right here




I gave a 45 minute talk on various aspects of clothes in Christie, illustrated with more than 50 slides, and luckily a lot of people turned up to listen (including some very kind old friends who surprised me!). I expect aspects of the talk will turn up in blogposts in the near future. I had a great time meeting up with old friends - including Kate Jackson of Cross Examining Crime, who was also giving a talk -  and also made some new ones.

There is now a lovely short film showing highlights of the festival - you can see it here



 
 

A hugely enjoyable trip, and I can strongly recommend the Festival to all Agatha Christie fans.

And I am inspired to try to complete my coverage of AC on the blog. I have done more than 90 posts on Christie's works - see tab above - including entries on all but a handful of the full-length books (as well as many short stories, themed entries, podcasts...). I am now going to try to fill in those last few novels. Look out for posts coming soon! 




 

 

Comments

  1. Oh, it sounds like a wonderful time, Moira! I remember how much I enjoyed Torquay when I was there, and I can just imagine how fabulous it was for you. I'm glad it all went well, and thanks for sharing the lovely 'photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Margot - any plans to come again to Torquay? 😉

      Delete
  2. I am glad that you are going to post on the Agatha Christie novels that you haven't covered yet. That will inspire me to do more on my project to read all her books. I still have a few of the Poirot books I haven't read (and others I haven't reviewed). I have only read two of her books this year, and did not review either of them. It always bothers me when I don't review a Christie novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, we should do it in parallel! I love your Christie reviews, please don't miss any out...

      Delete
  3. I went to your talk at the Christie Festival - thank you so much. It was really interesting and fun, and I've been inspired to go back and re-read a number of Christies spotting the clothing clues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely message! Thank you so much for coming, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it

      Delete
    2. ... and if you come across any good ones I missed, please pass them on!

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a wonderful presentation and I am not surprised it was well attended! I am sure I would enjoy the festival. I wonder if Torquay would be fun to visit when the festival isn't on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the kind words. I had been to Torquay before but not stayed there, and I was very impressed|: I saw it at its best (the weather was September gorgeous) and it was beautiful, lively and buzzy.

      Delete

Post a Comment