Christie CatchUp: Murder on the Orient Express

 

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

published 1934




 

There was a sudden jerk. Both men swung round to the window, looking out at the long, lighted platform as it slid slowly past them.

The Orient Express had started on its three-days’ journey across Europe.

 

Does your heart thrill to those words? Is it just fans of Golden Age detective fiction, or railway nerds, or is it just me? I first read Murder on the Orient Express as a teenager, and later embarked on a lifetime of travelling around Europe on trains. Every time the train has moved off from a major city, I have thought of these words, which describe the moment perfectly. There is nothing I love better than settling into a night sleeper, and waking up in the middle of the night and peering out the window at some empty station (wondering if someone suspicious will climb down or up) or watching us hurtling through cold dark plains (someone might be going to throw a necklace out the window). All the details came from Christie books first (this and The Mystery of the Blue Train) and were so so familiar to me when I started travelling…



There are a few Christie books with very famous solutions, and this is one of them (Ackroyd, Then There Were None, ABC Murders, Crooked House), and re-reading them can be problematic for that reason. With this one, I always enjoy Raymond Chandler’s verdict: he says the solution ‘is guaranteed to knock the keenest mind for a loop. Only a halfwit could guess it.’ This makes me laugh – because it is the classic (dare I say it, male) response to NOT getting it…

The solution is satisfying and works well the first time round. If you re-read, not so much. Every time I try it there are more questions in my mind.

[slight spoiler

There is more than one person involved in the crime. How when where did they meet to conspire?]



But still - it is very short, you can power through it, and it is STILL very enjoyable when you know what is happening. So – time just to enjoy the details.

Robert Barnard, in his splendid Christie book A Talent to Deceive, said his favourite line in the whole of her oeuvre came Orient Express: ‘Poor creature, she’s a Swede.’

I am very fond of this from Poirot:

‘I am an international detective.’

‘You belong to the League of Nations?’

‘I belong to the world, Madame,’ said Poirot dramatically.



I could find illos for this book till the end of time – nothing much is described but still, we know where we are. When I did my recent talk on Agatha Christie, I found that my draft version mentioned the red kimono with dragons three times, and I ended up taking out all the references to it.  Kimonos feature a lot in the books I read and blog on, and there are a lot of pictures of them – but I have found over the years that it is always hard to find one that exactly represents the description in a book.

Her luggage contained only a chiffon negligee so elaborate as to be more of a tea gown than a dressing gown



There is mention of a ‘shingle cap’ – if you look this up, hilariously, you get an awful lot of pictures of roof tiles and ridges. But it was a headwear item too, for keeping your hairstyle nice overnight:



‘After your nightly brush, pin your waves into place and wear your shingle cap’

’No shingled girl’s trousseau is complete without a few of these charming caps.’ In the smartest hairdressers these caps are being sold from ten shillings to a guinea each, but making them at home , they would work out at about five shillings each. Free pattern here!




The ‘travel wardrobe’ is from the NYPL collection – it’s from a few years before the date of the book, but was obviously too splendid not to use.

The top picture of the dining car is from the Museum of History for New South Wales, so shows an Australian train.  The other one is less luxurious but I liked the people – it’s from the University of Washington collection, so is an American train.

The photo is actually a 1937 steam engine, being used in 2009 for a Christmas special trip. One can only hope – it was the Christmas Carol Special – that it was less incident-filled and at the same time less stationary than the journey in the book. The photo was taken by Evelyn Simak.

And I can’t not use, yet again, my all-purpose Golden Age train departure/fashionable  lady picture. The picture is Woman in Coat and Hat at train station, from a 1920s fashion magazine, from the NYPL. 

This is a CatchUp Christie post – I am filling in gaps in my coverage of her books – but Murder on the Orient Express did feature in a blog list of ‘Choice holidays from Christie Tours’ a few years ago.

James Bond travels on the Orient Express in this post, and Bond and Christie compete for best train fiction in this unlikely post.

Comments

  1. I love this look back at this one, Moira. You're right that you can notice things when you read the book for a second (or third, or....) time. Those details do raise plenty of questions, but it's still such a lovely atmosphere and cast of characters for the story, I think. I've read it several times and still get lost in it every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We feel the same way! I was impressed by how much I enjoyed it even when I knew every details of the plot.

      Delete
  2. Another wonderful negligee - and a shingle cap! Back in the day I crocheted hats very similar to this, decorated with a crochet flower on one side. I am tempted to have a go at this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine Harding2 November 2023 at 15:26

    So entranced with the hat I forgot to comment as me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, I might have guessed! Send in a picture if you make it.

      Delete
  4. Graham Greene's early novel Stamboul Train also takes place on the Orient Express.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. And also in Travels with My Aunt, 35+ years later. When I went to Istanbul I was SO excited to be staying at the Pera Palas hotel, mentioned in both books...

      Delete
  5. I think Poirot really does belong to the world now! Like Holmes, he's familiar to almost everyone. And folks like Branagh can do riffs on the character which have little to do with the original!

    My mom used to wear a cap of fine net to keep her pin-curls in place (along the lines of the hairnets that food handlers have to wear).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Poirot has really transcended his origins hasn't he?
      And the whole question of nightcaps and hats is so interesting isn't it?

      Delete
  6. My Great Aunt Rebecca visited us in London in the fifties and wore what she called a 'boudoir cap', all lace and pink satin, to breakfast. I imagine it was the same as a shingle cap. She also (having been to America) used her knife and fork in the American way, which my brother and I copied, much to the fury of my mother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been brilliant, we all need an Aunt to do that in our lives!

      Delete
  7. Daniel Milford-Cottam7 November 2023 at 19:18

    Is this the one where someone says "I always thought Poirot was a maker of ladies' dressing gowns" or something like that, and Poirot pretty much is VERY underwhelmed? After quite a few years of fashion history, it suddenly clicked for me that this was a joke about the couturier Paul Poiret. Other funny thing is, I had a ragdoll as a kid that I called Greta Ohllson, and it can only have come from this book, but I can't think where I would have picked up the name otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's this one, but it sounds familiar, and I wouldn't have thought of that but of course you are right. Very early days of the blog I featured 3 x evening coats, still absolutely love this:
      https://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2012/06/books-of-1952-period-piece.html

      How spooky about Greta the doll!

      Delete
  8. The reason the solution to this one is so (potentially) surprising is that we have been conditioned to expect massive coincidences in Christie's works. (In Death on the Nile half the boat seem to have reason to want Linnett dead.) I feel that in real life a detective would guess the solution pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very good point. It is a minor annoyance when crime writers occasionally, when it suits them, have the detective saying smugly 'how could you have believed that was just coincidence, no sensible person would be taken in by that... ' when elsewhere we are expected to swallow all kinds of nonsense!
      One of my all-time un-favourites is in The Secret Adversary: Tuppence walking down the street and overhearing the name Jane Finn, then giving it as a fake name, to exactly the wrong people. A step too far, Tuppence, a step too far.

      Delete

Post a Comment