The Good Listener by Pamela Hansford Johnson

The Good Listener by Pamela Hansford Johnson

published 1975





 

‘That’s a pretty dress,’ he said. It was made of a soft muted tartan wool. Had it cost a lot? He knew little about clothes.

‘It’s almost too warm for an Indian summer’

 

Pamela Hansford Johnson had a long career as a novelist – this one, The Good Listener, was published 40 years after her first one. It’s readable in its old-fashioned way, but has ups and downs.

On the back of my copy (published 1982) it says ‘Toby is a very plausible young scoundrel’: I have little use for blurbs at the best of times, but this is a ridiculous description. He is a sneaky chap, he is the good listener of the title, and sometimes he is up to no good, but scoundrel suggests something quite other. He is on the make, in a modest way, and he doesn’t want to commit to a future without being sure it is best for him. He behaves in a tiresome way to young women in his company, but they are right back at him. I mean, he doesn’t burn down an orphanage. We’ve all met more scoundrelly types on a regular basis (fiction and real life).

The trouble is, I think that makes Toby rather dull. You aren’t cheering for him, and he is only moderately entertaining company for the reader. 

The book takes him from his last year at Cambridge, in 1950, through to 1955. He is very taken with a young woman called Maisie, a fellow-undergraduate, but not quite ready to commit. 

She comes from an upmarket arty-bohemian family, and Toby very much enjoys going to the family house and meeting writers and musicians. His own background is modest by comparison, and this tension is a feature of many a similar book, from Brideshead Revisited on, and still going strong – see the recent film Saltburn, and my take on Brideshead in the Guardian. It is very well done here – Toby is not ashamed and doesn’t try to hide anything, but

He could not help it – every time he returned to [his parents’ house] he felt like Fanny Price making a family visit after a long spell at [Jane Austen's] Mansfield Park.

For example, Toby uses the word ‘pariah’ but ‘pronounced it to rhyme with Maria’. Maisie’s mother corrects him in a matter-of-fact way, but it is seen as only slightly embarrassing.


Unexpectedly, Toby's mother, Dora, is an amateur painter who turns out to be prodigiously accomplished in her self-taught way: Maisie recognizes her talent, gives her a helping hand, and launches her on a glittering career. This is a wholly unbelievable element, but it cheers the book up enormously, and gives the author a wide range of events and moments to go through, and means the different social strata meet up frequently and enjoyably.

Meanwhile, Toby’s great mates Adrian and Bob follow their very different paths. Bob is a scientist, very clever, and should have an assured future – but he gets a local girl into trouble, and has to work hard to salvage his prospects.

Adrian is very good-looking, and is set on a career as a celibate clergyman.

‘I expect to have a decent curacy, with some prospects’ he says.

‘Spike, certainly,’ Toby teased him.

‘What you call spike, yes. The ritual has meaning for me.’

I have no idea what spike means in this context, and have been unable to find an explanation online. Anyone?

Toby takes up most of the action, but we follow the other careers – it’s somewhat formulaic but enjoyable. There is an interesting discussion of domestic violence - attitudes vary, but aren’t that different from now. And Adrian’s church goings-on venture almost into Barbara Pym territory. Being a good-looking curate can have its disadvantages.

One thing that puzzled me very much is that none of these young men seems to do National Service, and it is never mentioned. PHJ is quite specific about ages and dates, so it is not that they have done it before university, and my understanding is that they would all three have had to do it during the 1950s. But they don’t. Is this because she is writing 20+ years later?

[To lay it out: the action is from 1950 to 1955. PHJ was born 1912, so in her 60s when she wrote it, and looking back to when she was 40-ish]

She tells us what the women are wearing, simply but sufficiently, so I strongly approve.



She took off her coat to reveal a dress of white tweed. Toby, accustomed still to count the pennies, wondered what the costs of it would be at the cleaner’s.

Maisie is described as looking like Frieda Lawrence in a tam o’shanter:


Everyone is well-dressed – this is Maisie’s mother:

She was wearing a bright red, fur-collared suit and a debauched-looking hat to match.

Suit from Clover Vintage. Hat (I couldn’t find one picture to combine suit and hat) same source.

 


A second young woman attracts Toby’s attention: Claire, who is also from a posh, moneyed background, and who is ‘good-looking in a big sort of way.’ She is in contrast with Maisie, who is more dainty but delicate, but PHJ avoids the tired tropes of the hearty blustering girl and the quiet charming one. An older literary man says of Claire ‘You’re too young to have heard of a character called Lummox. But that’s what she pretends to be half the time, and it’s all nonsense.’

I too was too young to have heard of Lummox – so I looked her up, and it was fascinating: a novel (by Fanny Hurst) and film of the 1920s/30s, well worth reading about.

At a luncheon for a 50th birthday, both Maisie and Claire wear slacks, which does surprise me.

This book has a sequel, The Good Husband, so I think we can safely assume that Toby will get married. I will be reading the book and posting on it, so will leave the story here for now…

And an unlikely connection: at first Toby thinks of an academic career, and wants to write about Saint-Just a figure in the French Revolution. I am a Great Expert on this  matter these days (ie read a lot of novels recently) and could vaguely remember who he was. But I went back to Hilary Mantel’s A Place of Greater Safety to refresh my memory, and had to work at it: the vagaries of Kindle meant I couldn’t search for Saint-Just, I had to search on ‘just’ – for which there were more than 500 entries (the search engine ran out at 500) mostly not him at all. So I had to scroll through this list endlessly to establish who Saint-Just was: an enemy of the likeable Desmoulins, and perhaps not a favourite of Hilary Mantel’s either. I loved this:

He affects a single earring, but he resembles less a corsair than a slightly deranged merchant banker.

The Wikipedia entry on him says that he has been re-assessed, but in the past ‘he was perceived as cruel, bloodthirsty, and having a wild and violent sexuality’. Now that’s a scoundrel – he sounds nothing like Toby.

I recently used a picture by John Verney, a magazine cover, and this is another one. This post explains more about Verney, and about the pictures. It seemed to me to be the kind of painting that Toby’s mother had such success with.

Comments

  1. Your excellent post reminds me, Moira, of how important interesting characters are to a good novel. Your post is terrific, but I'm not sure I'm really vested in those characters. It could be just me. And please don't get me started on blurbs. Just...please don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes character is so important isnt it? And I think you and I feel the same about blurbs.

      Delete
  2. My book sorting continues and just today coincidentally I was leafing through The Humbler Creation by Pamela Hansford Johnson. Yes, rather old-fashioned in some ways,, but still very readable. Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they vary a lot - there are a few I really like. Avenue of Stone was good, and I also liked Murder's a Swine, which she wrote with her then-husband under a different name.

      Delete
  3. Words, words, words! I have questions about some. I've heard "Maria" pronounced with a long "i" as in "pariah" (and without "h" at the end like Ms Carey's name). I'd thought it was a British pronunciation!. Maybe it's just old-fashioned? I've heard "lummox" all my life, it's been around in the US for a long time. The O.E.D. has a meaning for "spike" that may fit here, a "frequently offensive" term for an Anglican who is Anglo-Catholic in practices. Definitely Pym/Trollope/Thirkell territory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant to say that "lummox" was in use years before Hurst's book (which pre-dates my birth by decades).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I didn't make it clear that I was familiar with the word lummox - I think definitely old-school, the kind of word my father used. But I had not come across the personification which came from the book, the character and book called Lummox were unfamiliar to me.
      I think Mariah as in Carey would be very unusual here. It makes me think also of that song from Paint Your Wagon - They Call the Wind Maria...
      Well done in tracking down spike! thanks

      Delete
  5. The absence of National Service does seem odd - my mum talks about it as a big part of life all through the 1950s when she was young. My dad wasn't called up for health reasons but the other young men in her social circle were, and a couple of them were killed whilst serving abroad - it wasn't just safe home service. I've an idea that if you had a university place it could be deferred, but once you'd completed your degree you'd be called up.

    Pamela Hansford Johnson's name is very familiar but her book titles aren't ringing any bells. I'm not sure that furry thing (skunk?) would be my idea of a debauched-looking hat, but then I'm not sure what my idea of a debauched-looking hat WOULD be!
    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My understanding is that it was universal, and not avoidable. I think those hoping to go to university could choose whether to do it before or after - but as you say, they had to do it.
      When I was working at the BBC World Service there was a whole tranche of men who had been taken off to learn Russian as their National Service, and were now translators. I think there was feeling that the UK needed more understanding of Russian as the Cold War proceeded.
      I know what you mean about PHJ - I have read quite a few of her books (long pre-blog) but they are hard to remember. She was married to CP Snow - I wonder does anyone still read him? Always famous for inventing the term Corridors of Power.
      I looked at a lot of hat pictures, and it is obviously purely subjective - I thought this was the ideal debauched one!

      Delete
    2. My view of the hat may be influenced by my view of the wearer - she looks very cool and slightly smug but not particularly debauched!

      The National Army Museum website has an overview of National Service - apparently in practice there were a lot of "reserved occupations" (as was the case for wartime conscription) so significant numbers of young men didn't have to serve - including clergymen, which would cover Adrian but not Toby or Bob.

      It turns out I have read a Pamela Hansford Johnson - "The Unspeakable Skipton" - I think because I'd been reading AJA Symons' biography of Baron Corvo aka Frederick Rolfe who inspired its main character. Which reminds me that I've always meant to read Corvo/Rolfe's own novel "Hadrian the Seventh" - must put it back on my list.
      Sovay

      Delete
    3. No, I think she looks debauched 😊😊😊
      Thanks for info.
      I went through a Baron Corvo phase - read that biography, and also a couple of Rolfe's books. What an extraordinary character he was. I may have to revisit.

      Delete
    4. The question of whether anyone reads C P Snow - I am still on my quest to reduce my book collection from humungous to merely enormous and I decided that I would not read the C P Snows again. I hesitated because they had such nice Penguin covers, but in the end they went to the Oxfam shop. Chrissie

      Delete
    5. Oh brave move Chrissie! I can't imagine reading him again - but I also find any Penguins particularly hard to get rid of.

      Delete
  6. 'Spike' = High Church, or Anglo-Catholic. It's still in use today - I know several people who would self-deprecatingly describe themselves thus. For example, there are a few churches dedicated to St Michael and All Angels which are known affectionately as 'Spiky Mike's'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting - it's not in my Concise Oxford Dictionary with this meaning even though it clearly is or has been in common use. Once a word crops up it often keeps cropping up though. I borrowed Dorothy L Sayer's "The Documents in the Case" from the library yesterday - one of the characters meets the local clergyman for the first time: 'He turned out to be an earnest and cultivated middle-aged spike from Keble'. I wouldn't have had a clue what that meant without the comments in this post, though Keble College being connected with the Oxford Movement gives a bit of a hint.
      Sovay

      Delete
    2. This is fascinating - and very educational. I did try to track the phrase down, but I suppose it has too many common meanings for this rather niche one to pop up in search results.
      I love 'spiky Mike's'!
      As Sovay says, these things so often turn up again soon, and I will be ready when it appears in another book. Thanks Kathleen.

      Delete
    3. Judging by these two fictional instances people using the term in the past seem to have regarded it as gently mocking rather than seriously offensive (the Sayers character seems to like and have quite a bit of respect for the clergyman) but I suspect those on the receiving end felt rather differently about it. A further shade of meaning emerged via Google – it seems that “serious” Anglo-Catholics may apply it to others who in their view enjoy the ritual of High Church services without thinking too much about the doctrine.
      Sovay

      Delete
    4. A very nuanced take on it! Johnson's use of it in the book seems very good then - the two young men jostling with the description.

      Delete
    5. More from Sayers on Keble, this from Busman's Honeymoon, 1937:

      "This is magnificent," said [Lord] Peter [Wimsey]. "I collect vicars." He joined Harriet at her observation-post. "This is a very well-grown specimen, six foot four or thereabouts, short-sighted, a great gardener, musical, smokes a pipe——"

      "Good gracious!" cried Miss Twitterton, "do you know Mr. Goodacre?"

      "—untidy, with a wife who does her best on a small stipend; a product of one of our older seats of learning—1890 vintage—Oxford, at a guess, but not, I fancy, Keble, though as high in his views as the parish allows him to be."

      Lord Peter's observational skills are impeccable; Mr. Goodacre went to Magdalen. (Peter's a Balliol man.)

      Delete
    6. Dorothy L Sayers was a daughter of the rectory, as well as having a strong faith all her life - I think she really knew her stuff. Great quote!

      Delete

Post a Comment