Total Christie + After the Funeral + 2500 blogposts

 



I’d read all the books – how many had I blogged on?

I began blogging in January 2012, and this is, astonishingly to me, my 2,500th post.

By far the most-featured author on the blog is Agatha Christie, who was one of the first authors to appear back then.  A while back I wondered what proportion of her works I had featured – it was around two thirds, so I made the decision to try to complete the set. I should stress: I had read all the crime books and stories long before I started the blog, some of them many times. This was a matter of rereading to create a blogpost. Which I did, with great pleasure.

And here we are: 

After the Funeral 


(which has already featured in one of the Spoiler Warning podcasts I did with Jim Noy and Brad Friedman) gets its own CiB post, and I think that’s the last one. I have updated the tab above – the one marked Agatha that would be – with I hope the full list of posts on the Great Dame. There are probably errors and gaps – if you see any, please tell me. Under the tab the books are divided into Poirot, Marple, Tommy & Tuppence, Standalones, and (non-series) Short Story Collections. Within those headings they are in chronological order.

In other tabs (Crime, and Authors A-D) Christie’s works are listed in the order in which they appeared on the blog.

I aim to have covered all the crime novels, and at least one story (often more) from each of the major short story collections. Roughly speaking, that means the collections that appeared in the UK before her death in 1976 – there are many subsequent volumes, which occasionally feature a previously uncollected story, and US listings can be quite different: I have stuck to what was available, in the UK, before she died.

There are extras also: I have done posts on two of the Mary Westmacotts, and both her volumes of autobiography. There are theme posts, Christie on holiday, tropes in Christie, book recommendations, podcasts, talks I have given… In more general posts on themes eg on Motives and Impersonation, on Secretaries and Mourning, she often looms large.

By my reckoning, I have done around 160 posts on, or featuring, Agatha Christie.

Later, I will celebrate some of the other 2000 books….But now:

 

After the Funeral by Agatha Christie

published  1953

 

Before we start: the butler Lanscombe says to Poirot:

‘We’ve always welcomed the unfortunate in this country, sir, it’s been our pride. We shall continue so to do.’

He is talking about refugees, and although we would phrase it differently today, it is always important to emphasise this, right now more than ever.



After the Funeral is always a good sharp read – I wouldn’t put it in my top 5, but up there in the top 10. 

Christie doesn’t often go north (Dumb Witness and Hercule Poirot’s Christmas, but not much else) but this setting is a solid dark old house, plainly in the top half of England, based on the house where her sister and brother-in-law lived (which was in Cheshire). The head of the family has just died: it’s a complicated family tree because he isn’t the father of anyone who appears in the book: his own son has died (he had been engaged to be married but his fiancĆ©e – who might have been a promising character in another plot – never appears nor is mentioned after the first time.) So the querulous relations gather for the titular funeral, and there is a family tree to help you along. (Jim Noy of Invisible Event takes issue with this illo – you’d have to listen to our podcast to find out why).

One of the dead man’s sisters is described thus:

Miss Cora had always been a bit – well simple like you’d call it if she’d lived in a village. Always one of them in a family

And it is she who says the fatal words:

‘But he was murdered wasn’t he?’

Everyone puts it down as just an embarrassing gaffe. Everyone goes home.

Meanwhile, in the buffet at Swindon, a lady in wispy mourning and festoons of jet was eating bath buns and drinking tea and looking forward to the future. She had no premonitions of disaster.

But the next day Cora’s dead body is found in her cottage – she has been murdered.

You can’t fault Christie for getting things going – even if a murder is late in her books, she doesn’t do dreamy openings with no action.

The motive might be considered sub-par, but it has always been one of my favourites – see my Motives post here. And the plot is ludicrous: there must have been easier methods available. And yet somehow you feel the guilty party might just have enjoyed this ridiculous challenge…

I do have a question as to how the murderer avoided being covered in blood? And of course this person could not possibly have known how others’ alibis, or lack of, would play into the plan.

Reading a book where you know the plot exactly, you can admire some of the Christie details. No, not clever clues, but this kind of thing:

‘I don’t believe it,’ said Susan. ‘I believe if you knew definitely who committed a crime you could always get the evidence.’

‘I wonder now.’ Mr Entwhistle sounded thoughtful. ‘I very much wonder . . .’

Now truly this is quite meaningless – he has no idea who committed the crime, and what he says has no implications about the case. It’s just a simple way to create atmosphere, and my view is that Christie makes it work: Poirot is forever making secretive hinting statements early on, which if you look back from the ending cannot have meant anything.

And here again: Rosamund is asked who she thinks killed Richard and Cora. She says ‘You know as well as I do. But it’s much, much better never to mention it. So we won’t.’ But there is no justification or reality in this – she can’t possibly know. But this portentous remark is a dramatic chapter ending.

This Mr Entwhistle is the family solicitor, and it is he who brings in Poirot, and he is good value. I like his response when someone quotes the story/rhyme about Lizzie Borden (‘gave her father 50 whacks’): ‘The rhyme is quite definitely libellous.’

There’s the description of the terrible paintings by Cora’s  dead artist  husband Pierre: [they] made Mr Entwhistle flinch – they were mostly nudes executed with a singular lack of draughtsmanship but with much fidelity to detail.

And he is as surprised as we are when the cousin Susan enquires about the companion, Miss Gilchrist, asking:

‘Did she – were she and Aunt Cora – on intimate terms –?’

Mr Entwhistle looked at her rather curiously, wondering just what exactly was in her mind.

Susan then proceeds to find Miss Gilcrhist another job without even consulting her: ‘I’ll arrange for her to get off to you as soon as possible.’ To be fair, Miss G is grateful, but really – she is disposed with along with Cora’s other possessions.


Miss Gilchrist pulled her black hat down firmly on her head and tucked in a wisp of grey hair

Mr Entwhistle is not taking to Susan:

‘she lacks some of the kindliness and the warmth of my old friend.’

‘Women are never kind,’ remarked Poirot. ‘Though they can sometimes be tender.’

This seems a remarkably stupid generalisation, and, incidentally, the person she is being compared with so unfavourably – dead Richard - is not reported as showing the slightest sign of any warmth or kindliness. (He also is described as ‘a sick man. He was suffering from a disease that would have proved fatal within, I should say, at the earliest, two years.’ Context suggests that this should have been ‘at the latest’)

Then we get this – a doctor explaining why you needn’t listen to older women:

‘My dear fellow. I shouldn’t pay any attention! The explanation is quite simple. The woman’s at a certain time of life – craving for sensation, unbalanced, unreliable – might say anything. They do, you know!’

Mr Entwhistle resented the doctor’s easy assumption.

Aha, you think, Agatha is going to give the other side of this new sweeping generalisation. But no, Mr E is just annoyed because he already knows this ‘He himself had had to deal with plenty of sensation-hunting and hysterical women.’

I defend AC a lot about these kind of moments (‘just reflecting attitudes, just for plot’s sake’), but sometimes even I have to give up.

Another complaint: Poirot takes on a false identity here, which I think is quite unusual, and a fake name. He pretends to be a buyer for the white elephant of a house, and it seems to me that he quite unjustifiably raises the hopes of many innocent people – particularly the butler, who is about to be turned out from his residence: Poirot implies he might get the lodge he’d been long promised, but this is plainly never going to happen. Tchah.

But all these comments are just the pernickety views of someone who has read Too Much Christie.

And while any sensible murderer could've found another way, Agatha Christie surely wouldn't've cared if you pointed out those issues. Her books are not meant to be realistic, and her job is to fool us and entertain us.

When I write about a book here, the amount I have to say will vary a lot. Coming to the end of Christie with this one, I thought about how people are dismissive of her – cardboard characters, one-dimensional plots – and how far that is from the truth. These are short books, but they are so full of interest and comment-worthy moments, and wonderful sociological detail.

The cheery nieces, not in mourning

I don’t have room today to mention other aspects – the fact that Susan has eight friends called Joan (see my post on names and their eras, Joan is so right for 1953) and old-fashioned mourning ‘dressed in wispy artistic black with festoons of jet beads’ – theme posts on this topic start here. Nuns, wedding-cake, polio. The scene where Rosamund apparently has on no underwear. The class implications of men who work in different shops – ‘a chemist’s shop is much better than a haberdasher’s’. the fact that Cora reminds me of Unity Mitford.

I love Agatha Christie and I love the books, always have,

 always will, and she is the backbone of this blog

 

Veiled woman from LSE library.

Woman in black hat from Library of Congress

Fashion drawing from a clothes catalogue

Comments

  1. Congratulations, Moira! I feel exactly the same as you about AC. And far from feeling that the motive for murder in After the Funeral is sub-par, it is one of my favourites too. Only AC could have thought of that. And if ever we need a secret password, I think I know what it could be (no spoiler - but the motive always reminds of a little poem by John Betjeman. Do you know the one, or will I have to email you?) Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I think we have bonded in our appreciation of this one before.
      And yes, secret password! As in the early Christie flapper mysteries, if we are ever caught up in an adventure we will know if a message is REALLY from the other because we can include the word... (along with roadhouse, possibly).
      And yes I know, AND I can use my new #spoilernotspoiler system - if I've got the right one, I quote a few lines from it in this post on a different poem https://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2013/12/xmas-poem-by-john-betjeman-hideous-ties.html

      Delete
    2. Yes, that is the one!

      Delete
  2. I like this book for her reuse of a certain trope. Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you give me a clue as to which one you have in mind?

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Moira, on 2500 posts! Your blog is a gold standard, and I learn every time I visit. I hope it'll keep on for a long, long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind Margot. You are one of my most enduring readers, and have been since the beginning, and I am forever grateful for that. Your encouragement and welcome meant a lot to me when I was just starting out (still does).

      Delete
  4. Well done on reviewing all of Christie's mysteries. I've got a way to go yet on that score - got quite a few more to re-read. I've reviewed 41 of the novels and two short story collection so far. 2500 posts is a magnificent accomplishment and all with brilliant clothes pictures and photos. There should be some sort of book bloggers award scheme where you get a badge and book tokens after you put up X number of posts lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm betting you'll catch up with me soon! That's a good total of Christie works - and you have covered so much else as well.

      Delete
  5. Well, Moira, you know this is one of my favorites, despite the controversial family tree, and Richard Abernethie’s terrible doctor, and the horrific character known as Gregory Banks. Congratulations on reviewing every AC! I’m going to get to work on that next month! Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, such fond memories of discussing it with you. if only we could discuss Agatha again - oh, we can! Looking forward to it.

      Delete
  6. I wondered if Christie was just showing the way men sometimes make those silly generalizations about women, but giving the "observations" to sympathetic characters argues against that. Poirot's leetle gray cells must have been on vacation when he made that idiotic remark!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to say Happy 2500th Post! Hope there are many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marty. And I generally do take a relaxed view of those remarks - I will let her off for once!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations and many happy returns. Although thanks to you, my TBR pile (both electronic and paper) is now large enough to rate it's own postal code.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dammit, why am I suddenly anon?

      Delete
    2. Well right backatcha! Not only have you read everything, but you also know where to track down those really obscure ones...

      Delete
  9. Many congratulations! And as the son of a Joan, I think you're entirely right about names!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Lovely detail about your Mum, and Christie got those things right...

      Delete
  10. Echoing the congratulations on your 12 years and 2500 posts on CiB - although I'm a recent arrival I've enjoyed your take on many books I've already read, and added many I haven't to my search list.

    Re: After the Funeral - I don't consider the motive sub-par - it's not the thing itself but what it represents to the murder.
    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel you are very much part of the scene here, with plenty to contribute!

      Delete
  11. Congratulations!

    Having re-read many of Christie's book there is only one trope I feel I picked up that can be reliably used to find the murderer, and it occurs in this book as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I am dying to know what that is, but you are being careful for spoilers! can you give us a hint?

      Delete
    2. Can I? Your not-spoiler system does not seem to work in comments, so I will just boldy say that anyone who survives an attempted murder is mighty suspect.

      Delete
    3. OK gotcha, I think that's fine, and I totally agree with you!

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on 2500 posts AND on completing your goal to post on all the crime novels by Christie. I am envious, I still have not even read all of Christie's crime novels.

    2500 posts is a lot. I should know, I have been blogging one month less than you have and I am edging up on only 1500 posts. And you have very high quality posts also, which makes a difference.

    I like After the Funeral a lot. I don't even remember what the motive was, but I must of accepted it. The story seemed a bit far-fetched at the end, but it fooled me completely so that was fine too.

    I like your Agatha tab with the books in order under each detective. In addition to making it easy to find particular books in order it also helps me to see which books I have not read yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy, I think I was aware that we started around the same time. My posting rate has varied a lot over the years, but lately I have been having new energy.
      I hope you find the Agatha tab useful.

      Delete
  13. Congratulations on your milestone! So many fantastic posts. Your posts are so good at making the book discussed sound enticing, even the ones miles away in genre that I never would have considered.
    Here's to many more insightful articles.
    Helena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those lovely kind words. It has been so nice to connect with so many people via the blog. And I love it when I find great books either by chance or by someone else's recommendation, so it's good to know it works both ways.

      Delete
  14. Ghananeem Hey there! šŸŒŸ Just read this awesome article and couldn't agree more with the insights shared šŸ“š✨

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Daniel Milford-Cottam27 August 2024 at 16:51

    I think After the Funeral is possibly my personal favourite Poirot (more for the characters than because it's a "Good Plot/Expected Favourite") but it has been a while since I read any Christie! That bit about the nun always reminds me of the line in Hitchcock's "The Lady Vanishes", although the heroine in that film definitely doesn't live by Christie's claim about nuns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re-reading it definitely pushed it up the list of best Christies for me. I think it is odd in this book that nuns are featured and mentioned so often in the book. The Tom Adams cover has a nun front and centre, quite misleading I think.

      Delete
  16. I am long term reader but only sporadic commenter. Your blog is wonderful and very much appreciated and has also lead me to read some great books. I read After the Funeral for the first time a couple of years ago and immediately adopted the name "Sorrel Dainton" as my username on various platforms. I feel I should sign off here Sorrel - but actually my name is Bernadette. Congratulations on your 2500 (plus) posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment! Thanks so much Bernadette - hearing from people like you makes my day. And Sorrel - what a lovely name to pick, and a character that only the keenest Agatha fans will recognize. She was very good on names, I feel.

      Delete

Post a Comment