The Tiffany Problem, and names in historical fiction

 

The Tiffany Problem, and other naming issues


                                                             Theophania, aka Tiffany

 

One of my bugbears is when character names in books are ‘wrong’ in my important view  in a post earlier this week I looked at contemporary writers, setting their novels in living memory, and whether or not the names are convincing. And I included some splendid lists of names from 50+ years ago. Many many readers came to comment – their views and lists of names are a delight.

This second post will look at names in historical fiction, but also mop up a few other aspects – we wouldn’t want to miss out any of my valuable opinions would we?

And I do have all kinds of opinions on character naming - read me in the Guardian on the subject  here – though that’s more about names that I just didn’t like for a variety of reasons. (I really enjoyed reading it again for this post. Many people have complaints about Gone Girl, but I think my particular whine is not one you see everywhere…)

I am not (solely) here to shame the guilty, though can’t resist mentioning Joel Dicker (who sold enough copies of his terrible book not to care what I think) – this is me dissing The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair – I am linking to my blogpost only because I enjoyed being mean about it.

There is a policeman called Gahalowood. Made that up did we? There is a slight ring of the writer Celine, who likes a strange name: Colonel O’Collogham in London Bridge is my favourite.

Historical fiction has the problem outlined gloriously by Robert Irwin in his magnificent Wonders Will Never Cease, set in 15th Century England:

‘By the five wounds of Christ! This is the curse of the English aristocracy. We lords and ladies are so brainless that we cannot think of any names for our children except Elizabeth, Anne, Katherine, Henry, Richard, Edward and John. And then again Henry, Elizabeth, John, Katherine, Richard, Edward and Anne. So we are in a constant muddle as to who is who. The lower orders have more sense and imagination, for they take names like Hodge, Poyns, Garth, Alfred, Marigold and Beverley. By God, I am heartily tired of my own name, John, and I believe that I shall have myself called Actaeon, Zoroaster, or perhaps Fabrice.’

(One of the comments on the first post asks a question about the Irwin book, btw - would he really have used 'Beth' for an Elizabeth?)

And think of Henry VIII – he managed to marry 6 times, but only got 3 names between all of them. THREE Catherines? 

Anyway - this as an example of my complaints, without naming the book:

I am willing to go out on a limb here and say there was no Irish housemaid in the whole of London in 1888 called Sharon. So naturally I assumed Sharon was a time traveller. [Spoiler: she isn’t. It is just a mistake.]

But – is it possible I may be wrong?

My friend Emma told me recently about the fascinating Tiffany Problem: Jo Walton (a great favourite round here, and not only because she has visited the blog more than once) identified this by pointing out that Tiffany was in fact a popular name in mediaeval times, a version of another name, Theophania – but it would not sound convincing now in a historical novel. She talked about this in a podcast from the excellent The Allusionist - this is a transcript of the epi where she discusses the issue. So we have to be careful. And Jo Walton – whom I have endless respect for – identifies other ways in which we get the past wrong: it is well worth reading… you can get a flavour from this splendid line from Helen Zaltzman, the Allusionist herself:

And maybe, hundreds of years from now, archaeologists dig up a small pale blue Tiffany box, and after some time studying the other documentation they have unearthed, historians deduce that the box came from a place that sells breakfast.


St Theophania

Author Lissa Evans was quoted in my first post on names, and she had more comments on historical fiction:

But even names which are historically correct can sound wrong to the modern ear - for instance, an incredibly popular girl's name of the early 20th century was 'Pretoria', after a battle in the Boer War, but although using that name would be pleasing (to me) and accurate, I'm not sure that anyone would believe it...

And she added this:

Incidentally, my Mum spent her entire life explaining that she wasn't named Shirley after Shirley Temple (who was, in any case, younger than her) but after the Charlotte Bronte book!

I have been told that Charlotte Bronte chose the name as being distinctly UN-feminine – it was a place name, with certainly no history as a girls’ name. She wanted to represent, it is generally thought, her sister Emily, who was monumental and not at all a feminine figure. (Jimmy Porter in Look Back in Anger describes a male friend as ‘a sort of female Emily Bronte’). She deliberately chose an asexual name – but has been very much overtaken by events and by a rather small actress.


three Bronte sisters with sensible names

Incidentally, I always think (judgementally) that Charlotte Bronte’s two great friends were Ellen Nussey and Amelia Ringrose, so you’d easily pick her name as the future novelist among the three of them…

Keeping up the high literary tone, I always thought the song Mambo Number 5 contained a splendid list of women’s names for the era it was first released – around 1950. Checking that out for this post, I found to my astonishment that the original version, by Perez Prado, was  mostly instrumental, with a few scratch lyrics. The version we all know, with the names - a world-wide hit  – was written by Lou Bega in 1999. It is not known how he chose the names, but this is the list:

Angela, Pamela, Sandra, Rita, Monica, Erica, Tina, Sandra, Mary

Could they BE more 1950s?

If he wanted more names for further verses – this is a list of names in Elly Griffiths’ The Vanishing Box (published 2017): girls in a stage show in the mid-50s in Brighton. Excellent!


Elly G is another author who gives names good thought and gets them right.

I was delighted to find, from the reaction to my first post, that so many people share my fascination with this subject – although none of us seem to have a huge interest in men’s names, it’s definitely the female side that takes our attention. I’m also aware that I haven’t even mentioned Patricia Wentworth, Queen of the strange names, (though she does come up in the comments on the first post) but then she does not really reflect any aspect of real life. One day I will do a post on the names of Miss Silver World.

And, one final link – in this blogpost I explain how best-selling author Michael Lewis made me think about attitudes to names. Not intentionally (we worked together, but he wouldn't have the faintest idea who I am) - it was because his online fans were, I thought, unnecessarily rude about his children’s names, and I thought real life children should be protected from name-criticism

Michael Lewis and the Birth of Online Commenting (clothesinbooks.blogspot.com)

So I will stick to criticising fictional names, where I feel open warfare is permissible.

Please bring it on in the comments.

Comments

  1. Names really are tricky, aren't they, Moira? Honestly, that's why my characters usually get names that aren't particularly tied to a certain era. Of course, that's much harder with historical fiction where the names have to feel authentic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, researching this post I have been fascinated by the distinction between what is authentic and what is convincing! As various people say, there are perfectly good names that you can't get away with.

      Delete
  2. The Beth issue highlights one of the problems of writing historical novels - once you've done the extensive research, you then have to decide which historical facts your readers will find plausible and which they won't!* It's entirely possible that there were instances of Beth as a short form of Elizabeth in the late 15th century, but to me with my superficial knowledge of the period it just felt "off".

    Sovay

    * Unless you're going to footnote your novel, but only Terry Pratchett and Susanna Clarke really pull that off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a footnote, but it doesn't always work well.
      Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (which is of course history not fiction) has wonderful footnotes, and my Victorian edition has footnotes on the footnotes from a stuffy editor.
      And with these names we are getting into another area that I enjoy a poke around it - things that seem like anachronisms but aren't. Names a very fruitful area for that.

      Delete
  3. "Bess" was OK in the sixteenth century, so you could just think of "Beth" as Bess with a lisp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the poster above thought it should have been Bess!

      Delete
  4. Quite a few of the names in Kelly's list are actually pretty old. Even Fenella is a version of a. Gaelic name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn auto-correct! Elly Griffiths, not Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that Florence Nightingale started the fashion for Florence as a first name for girls - until then it was rare. Shelley's son had Florence as one of his names, perhaps he was born there?
      (Always good for pub quizzes - where was FNightingale born? Florence
      Where was Leonardo da Vinci born? Vinci)

      Delete
    2. Florence Nightingale was named after her birthplace so that was probably the only reason children had the name before she made it famous. There's an old soldier in Bleak House whose many children are named after their birthplaces.

      Delete
    3. Nowadays there is an implication that babies might be named after where they are conceived which seems a bit personal

      Delete
    4. "Haystack Smith..."
      It also suggests a low level of activity in the parents.

      Delete
    5. Indeed, and this reminded me of something which I tracked down in my head and remembered it had been on the blog - I considered it an almost perfect joke:
      "I came across Pat Fitzpatrick while reading an Irish newspaper: he made a joke in a column saying that David and Victoria Beckham had a friend who was now a player at Shamrock Rovers in Dublin, but:
      It's fair to say the Beckhams won't be paying him a visit in that part of Dublin. They wouldn't want some future child asking, 'Tell me again why you called me The Red Cow?'
      Now you need at least 3 pieces of trivial information and pointless celebrity gossip to understand this joke, but when you do it is hilarious, and I laughed so much I had to see what else he had written..."
      I particularly liked that it is not necessary to know anything about The Red Cow.

      Delete
  6. There's a florence knox in book re 19th cent ireland, usually known as flurry. Oh what is title? Anyway he is a wily celt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's "Some Experiences of an Irish RM" by Somerville and Ross

      Delete
    2. Oh indeed - Flurry was not unknown in Ireland, and the Irish RM was very enjoyable.

      Delete
  7. Oh and have a look at Henry James. Fleda never caught on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fleda Vetch is a terrible name. But sometimes he did well - I loved the Kate Croy/Milly Theale division. And felt Cassamissima is quite the name for a princess.

      Delete
  8. So interesting, names of all sorts and histories.

    In my dewy youth, I worked at an insurance company paying death claims (Why yes, it WAS an interesting job.) One day, I paid a claim on a man born in the 1880s whose name was...Shirley Temple. Yes. I couldn't help thinking what a pain in the neck the existence of that little moppet must have been to him, from 1930 onwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO! Poor chap. Idly living his life unnoticed for so many years then suddenly matched up with a dancing tot. I call that hard luck.

      Delete
  9. The red-haired orphan in Anne of Green Gables from 1908 is called Anne Shirley. In Rainbow Valley, published in 1919, she has a son named Shirley, so it still seems to have been a male name at that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I'd forgotten that. I guess he was Shirley Blythe then - both UK place names.
      Shirley Temple became popular in the early 1930s - that must have thrown the men called Shirley. It reminds me of Laurie in Little Women, whose first name is Theodore - he gets annoyed with fellow students who call him Dora.

      Delete
  10. I can't remember which book, but Georgette Heyer named one of her stereotypically maddening chits "Tiffany," short for Theophania.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it's The Nonesuch, which apparently I reread in 2018 but didn't blog on. I liked the character of Tiffany very much - she is, as you so rightly say, a chit, not a main heroine, but was good fun. In my notes I say the book had an 'abrupt ending' but I have no memory of what that problem was...
      MY problem is that I can never remember without looking up whether there is an 'e' in the middle of Nonesuch.

      Delete
    2. I always feel that Tiffany with her violet eyes was modelled on the young Elizabeth Taylor. - Clare

      Delete
    3. Ooohhhh - did anyone have violet eyes before Elizabeth Taylor?

      Delete
  11. Shirley Crabtree was the real name of the English wrestler Big Daddy. Born 1930.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! That always made me very puzzled when I was young, particularly when he was a rough tough wrestler.
      And that's just reminded me - wasn't John Wayne's first name Marion?

      Delete
  12. As in books so in publishing. In the Sloaney 80s I worked for a publisher who changed the names of those of us who had pleb names, so I became Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! that's outrageous. How did they put that to you?

      Delete
    2. I pointed out it was wrong on my contract, they amended it but they kept calling me and addressing memos etc to Jessica. I believe Haymarket publishers changed names too.

      Delete
    3. I left after 6 months, it was a shame because they gave us luncheon vouchers. I realise that was a tax efficient to pay us less but I loved them.

      Delete
    4. Luncheon vouchers! I'd forgotten about those, do they still exist? I loved them too because you had to spend them on food - exactly their purpose - no need to wonder if you should save money on lunch.

      Delete
  13. The first lesson in names I remember was in Upstairs Downstairs when Lady Marjorie felt her new housemaid's (who had gone to the front instead of back door!) name was too exotic and called her Sarah instead! That was a long time ago but my mother and I certainly enjoyed that show. We were certainly proponents of appropriate historical names. In fact, when I was editing regency and historical romances for Penguin, some of our authors chose pen names that fit the genre!

    There used to be a wonderful website called Baby Wizard that showed the popularity of names over the years. Constance was at its peak in the 50s when my mother begged my grandmother to use it on her baby sister. "Save it for when you have a daughter!" said my grandmother and used Deborah instead. Several years later, she decided Debbie was too common and changed my 4 year old aunt's name to Adrienne! Imagine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving people's family stories as much as the book stories!
      There are a lot of interesting sites on baby names, but it is hard to find large-scale reliable statistics.
      In the UK people were very keen, towards the end of the last century, on quoting the Times newspaper list of popular names. But that was based entirely on people who announced their baby arrivals in the Times. It did make for an interesting list, with changes showing up - but it excluded huge sectors of the population.

      Delete
  14. The name Tiffany goes back at least to the 10th century. In 972 the Byzantine princess Theophanu (Θεοφανώ) married the future Holy Roman Emperor Otto II. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theophanu
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! that's a picture of her above, the second illo.

      Delete
    2. Since moving to NZ I have come across the name Raewyn(n), which was new to me. Seems to have been popular in the 1950s in the same era as Susan, Linda, Sandra, Janice, Diane etc.

      Delete
    3. New one on me - we need a long-time NZ resident to comment.

      Delete
  15. If I read one more Regency romance with a Brianna I may very well scream. How hard is it to look up the names of nobility from the time? Five minutes research, and you are set.
    And then there's the completely inappropriate names for noble characters, like Abigail and Jade. Shudder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me laugh!
      Georgette Heyer has a very well-born Abigail, who comments on the fact that her name literally is a name for a maid - but never explains why her parents would have called her that.

      Delete
    2. I once encountered Jade as a character name in a novel set in the Tudor period, when it was a vocabulary word meaning 1) broken-down old horse and 2) slut. As you say - five minutes' research ...

      Delete
    3. That's hilarious! Poor Jade, not much hope for her really....

      Delete
    4. IIRC, Heyer's heroine comments bitterly that her name means "my father's joy," which, given her unhappy relationship with her bad-tempered bully of a father, was the height of irony.

      Delete
    5. Oh I'd forgotten that it was explained. As you say, nice bit of irony.

      Delete

Post a Comment