The Importance of a Box of Chocolates

 


 


 

This box of chocolates is actually a cake made to resemble the box – made by

cakesbylynz.co.uk




 ADDED LATER: Reader Diane mentioned the above book in the comments, as having a good cover. It was such a perfect fit that I have added it... 

 

I do enjoy doing themed posts, and it seems readers like them too. In recent weeks we have looked at (and made lists of) forgotten books that are always in charity shops, and names for book characters and for real people, (some we liked, some we didn’t, some we thought were nicely typical…) I say 'we' advisedly: these posts gained huge numbers of comments and suggestions, which is lovely for me.  Then there have been such old favourites as the Hanging out the Washing post, and Ballerinas keeping up their stockings. (more on all this in the Mysteries of Blogging post). There is a whole tab devoted to Theme posts above, and at one time I regularly did articles for the Guardian newspaper listing random items that turn up in books – see this tab – from marriage proposals to digging up dead bodies.

Other recent posts have provoked great discussion in the comments: on Bad Parenting in Books for example. And if you want to read a very erudite, funny and thought-provoking discussion of the marriage plot in 19th century literature, go to the comments on this post, which took the apparently unpromising, or at least niche, starting-point of a woman wearing a riding habit in a Trollope book. It is my readers who are erudite, by the way, not me. Still open for comments: if you HAD to choose between Mr Collins and Wickham, whom would you marry?

Clothes in Books is inching towards 2,500 posts, which means (with books appearing more than once, and random extra posts) a lot more than 2000 books covered, so I feel I could almost pick any random topic and find books on the blog with that feature…

Today’s challenge:

boxes of chocolates


CiB leans heavily into detective fiction, and the books of the 1930s were full of boxes of chocolates which, obviously, had poison in them. It apparently wasn’t at all difficult to inject the chocs…

 

1)   First place really has to go to The Poisoned Chocolates Case by Anthony Berkeley – much-loved by many crime fans, and usually described as a tour de force. I have issues with it – explained in the post: AB thinks up many different solutions to the crime, but to me that removes all sense of depth, character or jeopardy. But it is an entertaining and enjoyable read in its own way.

 

2)   The blog’s most featured author (by a mile) is Agatha Christie, and she did enjoy a box of chocolates. In At Bertram’s Hotel a young woman becomes ill after eating them. Discussing this on Twitter, Jessica Adams asked if they were Prestat violet creams (which they do appear to be from the cover of the book) and I replied I once did a Miss M basket as a prize for a themed charity thing, and obv had violet cremes in it. People acted like it was a joke item, as opposed to the summit of glory!


3)   Christie’s Hercule Poirot claimed his ‘only failure’ came with the affair of The Chocolate Box – a story written early in her career, but only published in the collection Poirot’s Early Cases in 1974

In Peril at End House, Nick Buckley becomes ill after eating chocolates in her nursing home –  they appear to have come from Poirot.

There’s also The House of Lurking Death, from the collection Partners in Crime: ‘a box of chocolates sent through the post… nothing to indicate…passed round… taken ill. Contained arsenic!’

There is a lot more chocolate in the books, and chocolate cake is important in A Murder is Announced, cocoa in Crooked House…. and I’m sure many more that my readers can suggest.

4) My favourite lines in the whole of Muriel Spark’s works come in A Far Cry From Kensington.  Mrs Hawkins and her landlady Milly are sitting on the stairs watching through the window as the couple next door have a row.

“Milly, always with her sense of the appropriate, dashed down to her bedroom and reappeared with a near-full box of chocolates. We sat side-by-side, eating chocolates, and watching the show.”

I would have no greater compliment for a friend than that they are the kind of person you could sit and watch an event unfolding in this manner, and that they would bring supplies.

4a) My favourite line (possibly) in all of Evelyn Waugh’s works comes in a novella called Work Suspended. This has not featured on the blog, though plenty of Waugh’s other works have, and the box of chocolates is purely metaphorical here. The narrator is doing some romantic manoeuvring, in love with a woman called Lucy, but finds that at a dinner party he has been sidelined off with a dotty, much younger, sister, Julia. His hopes are dashed. Now consider this glorious sentence:

‘My word, this is exciting,’ said Julia, and settled down to enjoy me as though I were a box of chocolates open on her knees.

The narrator's chess-like operations in pursuit of love include an expensive lunch party and the final line of this section is ‘That is what you have bought with your five pounds.’ Which in the circs is horribly funny. The story is considered to reflect Waugh’s obsession with blog regular Diana Mitford – ‘there is not a single point in common between you and the heroine’ he writes to her many years later. Yes, well.

5)   Elizabeth Gill, What Dread Hand? Is a 1932 crime story, with this fine moment:

Don’t you recall meeting the dear archdeacon’s wife in the first interval, and how she kindly offered us chocolates? They had become somewhat moist from resting in her lap, and not only that, when I took one I discovered that it contained alcoholic liquor. I remember being extremely surprised at the time, as she is the last woman I should have suspected of drinking. In chocolates too. Almost fast, I thought it.

 

6)   How’s this for a suggestive title? Sweet Poison by Rupert Penny, a 1940 crime story set in a boys’ school. I said ‘some chocolates have gone missing – those liqueur chocs that scream ‘poison opportunity’ to the experienced murder story reader’ although I also thought there was too much counting of chocolate bars…

 

7)  Then there is Framed for hanging by Guy Cullingford 1956, where I had this to say about the plot:

When someone is poisoned, there are boxes of chocolates in play: they have to be examined of course, but everyone is convinced the policeman is taking them to eat himself - ‘I didn’t know you ‘ad a sweet tooth’ – and will not be told otherwise.


8) A charming Christmas treat in Noel Streatfield’s A Vicarage Family. It is a lightly-fictionalized story of her life growing up, and one of the nice moments comes with a particularly good curate coming for Christmas – those who come from families with rules and lots of children will appreciate the nuances:

Right away he set a new standard for curates by arriving with five boxes of Fuller’s chocolates…Individual boxes from which the children were allowed, with permission, to help themselves were much valued.


9)   Bridget Jones is very keen on chocolate, and in the first book, Bridget Jones’ Diary (by Helen Fielding), the very first entry lists what she has eaten, including:

12 Milk Tray (best to get rid of all Christmas confectionery in one go and make a fresh start tomorrow)

Note for US readers: she has eaten 12 individual sweets from a popular, slightly down-market but much-loved and long-lived chocolate selection from Cadbury’s. Famed also for its adverts featuring the Milk Tray Man.



Later – in one of the few moments where he behaves well – Daniel Cleaver turns up at Bridget’s girls’ night in:

‘He was holding three boxes of Milk Tray.

‘I bought you all one of these,’ he said, one eyebrow raised sexily, ‘to eat with your coffee’.

[He doesn’t otherwise have much in common with the curate in Noel Streatfeild’s book above]

10)       There’s a John Dickson Carr book known as The Black Spectacles in the UK, and The Problem of the Green Capsule in the US – it’s here on the blog – and it contains a whole farrago about poisoned chocolates. They are actually delivered to victims in a paper bag, but I feel this moment earns the book’s place in my list: 

On top of this show-case there were five open boxes, slightly tilted up to show the contents. Three boxes contained chocolate creams, one box contained solid chocolates, and one box caramels.

---------------------

So – 10 instances of boxes of chocolates in books. And there must be many, many other examples – please add yours in the comments, or suggest other themes for a bloglist.

Comments

  1. Stick to hard centres - much harder to poison. See also the AC story The Voice in the Dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice AND another Christie reference - perfect commment Lucy.

      Delete
  2. How wonderful to find someone else who appreciates Evelyn Waugh as I do. I consider him the greatest prose stylist of the twentieth century, although many would argue for Wodehouse. Brideshead is a book you can read for the sheer pleasure of the language. I once saw an interview with KIngsley Amis (whom I also admire greatly) in which he said that every time he read Brideshead 'because of course on can't not read it again'. Wonderful man, he knew the importance of rereading. He went on to say that every time he read it he thought there must be more to Sebastian etc. and there just isn't but then said of the writing, 'I don't know how it's done. If I did, I'd be doing it.'

    There's a book about Madresfield by Jane Mulvagh. Have you read it? Rather a tragic story. I've just seen how many Waugh entries there are on my blog! I must be a real fangirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read Brideshead many times, and each time I wonder if the magic will still hold, and it always does. But my attitude to eg the character of Sebastian changes.
      I wrote about the book for the Guardian https://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2014/12/guardian-books-blog-brideshead.html - I see that was 10 years ago. I reread the piece recently and felt I'm still proud of it.
      I didn't know Amis was such a fan, that is very much a point in his favour.
      I haven't read the book about Madresfield, though I know they were a very troubled family. I will look it up.

      Delete
    2. You do have a lot of entries on Waugh! I tried to comment but had trouble getting in, I will try again. I wanted to say how I agreed with you on the subject of 'Up to a point, Lord Copper'. People misuse it - and miss the point.

      Delete
  3. What a sweet idea for a post, Moira! And as you've shown, there are a number of examples out there in literature. The interesting thing about it is that an author can use that box of chocolates in any number ways, whether it's as a weapon, or the start of a romance scene, or something else. You are very talented at drawing together books that have a particular thread running through them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your use of 'sweet' Margot! You have inspired me: you always do such wonderful 'themed' posts with your wide knowledge of crime books. Is this one you have covered yet...?

      Delete
  4. Liqueur chocolates containing Kirsch are indispensible to murderers who've managed to get their hands on cyanide, if Golden Age crime novelists are anything to go by - though as far as I remember the murderer in Rex Stout's "The Red Box" poisons an actual sugared almond rather than an almond-flavoured chocolate.
    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The almond is in a box of assorted chocolates and sweets which, confusingly, is NOT the red box of the title.

      Delete
    2. I love the expertise of readers and commenters! I also wonder if poisoning people was as easy as writers make it seem.
      After years of reading the books, I even know a few characteristics of the different poisons.

      Delete
  5. An early chocolate liqueur incident with disastrous consequences is in [drum roll...] Saki [who else]'s Reginald's Drama in 1904:

    "The plot," said Reginald, "would be one of those little everyday tragedies that one sees going on all round one. In my mind's eye there is the case of the Mudge-Jervises, which in an unpretentious way has quite an Enoch Arden intensity underlying it. They'd only been married some eighteen months or so, and circumstances had prevented their seeing much of each other. With him there was always a foursome or something that had to be played and replayed in different parts of the country, and she went in for slumming quite as seriously as if it was a sport. With her, I suppose, it was. She belonged to the Guild of the Poor Dear Souls, and they hold the record for having nearly reformed a washerwoman. No one has ever really reformed a washerwoman, and that is why the competition is so keen. You can rescue charwomen by fifties with a little tea and personal magnetism, but with washerwomen it's different; wages are too high. This particular laundress, who came from Bermondsey or some such place, was really rather a hopeful venture, and they thought at last that she might be safely put in the window as a specimen of successful work. So they had her paraded at a drawing-room "At Home" at Agatha Camelford's; it was sheer bad luck that some liqueur chocolates had been turned loose by mistake among the refreshments—really liqueur chocolates, with very little chocolate. And of course the old soul found them out, and cornered the entire stock. It was like finding a whelk-stall in a desert, as she afterwards partially expressed herself. When the liqueurs began to take effect, she started to give them imitations of farmyard animals as they know them in Bermondsey. She began with a dancing bear, and you know Agatha doesn't approve of dancing, except at Buckingham Palace under proper supervision. And then she got up on the piano and gave them an organ monkey; I gather she went in for realism rather than a Maeterlinckian treatment of the subject Finally, she fell into the piano and said she was a parrot in a cage, and for an impromptu performance I believe she was very word—perfect; no one had heard anything like it, except Baroness Boobelstein who has attended sittings of the Austrian Reichsrath. Agatha is trying the Rest-cure at Buxton."

    Saki not yet fully Sakiesque, but an interesting early incident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it would always be recognizable as Saki. I wonder if liqueur chocolates would really get you drunk? (obviously I am not complaining about the plot, just wondering). There is a book by Capt WE Johns (of Biggles fame, but I think not Biggles) where an innocent young man gets drunk on the fumes from some beer barrels. As a solemn(ish) young person I was much exercised by this - was this a real danger in life? Thinking about it, that's a very strange plot turn, but I'm sure I remember it correctly!
      I always enjoy the online meme of 'things that you worried about as a child but turned out not to be a big issue' - quicksands is the poster example - and I can add this to my list.

      Delete
    2. I think getting drunk off alcohol fumes was an occupational habit in distilleries. Was WE Johns's character hiding in a barrel, perhaps?
      There's an interesting discussion here: https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/26460/does-smelling-alcohol-makes-you-drunk

      Delete
    3. Fascinating, but nobody has a really detinitive vehement answer do they? but it would seem that spirits is the key to getting drunk this way - it may not have actually been beer in the story, I don't want to accuse the good captain of inaccuracy.
      The chararacter was unloading barrels from a lorry (or maybe enclosed truck) in front of Nazi soldiers, and got sufficiently tipsy to call out in English to one of his mates. They got out of trouble somehow.
      (and yet I regularly read eg Booker Prize winners, serious literary fiction, most certainly couldn't tell you plot items a month later, let alone 50 years later)

      Delete
  6. "Murder at Monk's Barn" is a book by Cecil Waye (one of Cecil Street's pen names) which features a box of poisoned chocolates (though not in the "main" murder). It's from the early 1930's and the sleuths are a brother and sister who run a detective agency. The brother does most of the detecting, but IIRC the sister isn't one of those sappy heroines who turn up in mysteries so often.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great addition to the list, and you make it sound very appealing.

      Delete
    2. I have downloaded it to my Kindle, it is exactly the kind of book I like to have ready for the right moment, when I need an easy read from that era! Thank you

      Delete
  7. Wasn't one of the victims in "Three Act Tragedy" don't in by a box of chocolates? I think it was sent to a sanitarium?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness, what a delightful mixed box!

    I love that bit from A Far Cry From Kensington. She really understands the importance of a a box of chocolates as an adjunct to entertainment.

    I've always wanted to emulate the woman who settles down with the latest romance by her favourite author, a box of chocolates at hand. However, needing to practice restraint in these matters, I force a mixed bag of Lindt truffles to last at least a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Impressed by your self-control.
      I don't usually sit down with the treats, BUT - there is an occasional moment, when I am thoroughly enjoying a book and am onto the last section, where I stop and re-arrange things so I have eg coffee and a treat with the final pages. It is only for very good books!
      I think of that line from the Muriel Spark often, such a satisfying idea.

      Delete
  9. Well outside the Golden Age, but Elizabeth Lemarchand's "Cyanide With Compliments", 1973, features a poisoned box of chocolates. My copy features a lovely box of chocolates with skulls on each piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look that up immediately, what a fabulous cover, it should have been my blogpost illo!
      I don't know this author but the book sounds intriguing, as well as right on topic, so will have to try it!

      Delete
    2. I have added a picture of the cover to the blogpost! thank you

      Delete
  10. Also in Bridget Jones is the scene where Bridget has invited Darcy to a dinner party. He turns up with a box of really nice, expensive chocolates. When the dinner is a disaster, because of course Bridget can't cook, and her guests have been served blue soup and marmalade, Darcy is absolutely lovely about it. They open the chocolates and eat them for pudding and have a perfectly lovely time anyway. It's one of the indicators that Darcy is a going to be a good boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! 'Blue soup and marmalade' lives in my head, and when cooking for people I often think of the dinner party, and lovely Mark.
      Kindness is everything.

      Delete
  11. One reason for the popularity of poisoned chocolates in GAD fiction may have been the fact that in 1922, someone tried to poison Willian Horwood, the then Metropolitan Police Commissioner, with a box of poisoned walnut whips. According to the BBC website, Sir William ate the sweets after having a lunch consisting of pork with apple sauce, bread and butter pudding, and Guinness.
    R Austin Freeman referred to the case in his book The Cat's Eye as he had used poisoned chocolates in the book. He claimed that he had written the offending chapter in his book months before the actual incident and to be relieved that publishing delays meant he felt no guilt about having suggested a murder method which had been taken up by a reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great addition to the lore, thank you so much!
      I love the detail of walnut whips - they are mentioned in Christanna Brand's Death of Jezebel, though only in terms of someone's appearance. I actually found a picture I thought quite suited https://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2022/09/death-of-jezebel-by-christianna-brand.html

      I would probably have thought poisoned chocolates was confined to books, so very interesting to find it wasn't!

      Delete
  12. I've been browsing my bookshelves trying to find another remembered box of poisoned chocolates - there was much detail about how all the different liqueur fillings had been emptied out, mixed together with cyanide into an unholy poisoned cocktail and re-injected - but no luck. I did turn up Patricia Wentworth's "Poison in the Pen" (featuring narcotics in the cocoa) and another box of chocs poisoned by Rex Stout in "More Deaths Than One" (cyanide again). Also "Murder After Christmas" by Rupert Latimer which is awash with chocolates, poisoned and otherwise, despite taking place in the midst of World War 2.
    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the additions. I'd forgotten about the Rupert Latimer, which I blogged on a while back.
      I am really enjoying all the discussions and extras, while still wondering about the relative frequency of such poisonings in books and real life.

      Delete
    2. I forgot Emma Lathen - "Sweet and Low" - dark deeds among the dealers in cocoa futures!

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, I'd forgotten that too. I love Emma Lathen - and you always learn such fascinating facts about whatever business is the key to the book.

      Delete
    4. She's a favourite of mine, not least because psychopaths and serial killers really aren't my cup of tea, but I can settle down with an Emma Lathen in full confidence that whoever the murderer turns out to be, they will have a sound, sane, BUSINESS reason for doing what they did!

      Delete
    5. A very good point, and a very good description of her books

      Delete
  13. I was here reading this yesterday and thinking that there must be another box of chocolates in a Rex Stout mystery, but I could not find anything. And now it has been identified by Anonymous above, as More Deaths Than One, which I know as And Be a Villain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have to find some of these Rex Stout books and keep up with my poisoned sweets!

      Delete
  14. No poison, but chocolates feature in Angela Thirkell's "Wild Strawberries," the second in her Barsetshire series. Here's the overpowering Mme. Boulle scolding her sullen teen daughter for sneaking chocolates in her room. “Mais voyons, Ursule, how often have I told you that no well-brought-up girl should eat chocolates in her bedroom. The nourishment that I give you is healthy and sufficient. If you are hungry, you have only to say so. Chocolates are an unnecessary expense. By that I do not include chocolate as drink, which is healthy and fortifying. All English chocolate is excessively bad. The French chocolate is the best in the world and I must procure some from Paris, although the price augments daily. Have you read, Henri, in to-day’s paper that the price of chocolate already remounts to——” Mme. Boulle is stout and so is her daughter. There's a remarkable amount of fat-shaming in this novel; the heroine (Mary) calls Ursule "greedy" and nobody disapproves, and her vacuum-like eating habits are depicted mercilessly for comic effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent quotation, and they don't have to be poison to make my list.
      I do enjoy Angela Thirkell, but she is, as I like to say 'very much of her time' in some of her attitudes. But fat-shaming in particular turns up in a lot of older books - different times.

      Delete
  15. Popping in again with the memory of the delightful chocolates from the Whizzo Quality Assortment, especially Anthrax Ripple and Crunchy Frog. Lark's Vomit, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and then there's Bertie Bott's every flavour beans from Harry Potter...

      Delete
  16. Re: the floral flavours - Compton Mackenzie in as essay about his childhood (1880s or 1890s) mentioned that in addition to rose and violet chocolates, WALLFLOWER was a standard flavour. However when he tried to find them as an adult, no-one made them any more.
    Being partial to a floral chocolate myself, I looked up Prestat violet creams and was sorry to see the reviews highlighting a problem I've found with other brands ie. not nearly enough subtly-flavoured filling swamped by far too much dark chocolate.
    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up the wallflower flavour - I'd never heard of it, but it seems that in Victorian times it was an accepted flavour in perfume and wine as well. So unexpected!
      There is a medium-level chocolate brand who do really good violet cremes, I think it's House of Dorchester.
      Plainly I need to buy various different brands and have a tasting session to put them in order!

      Delete
    2. I shall check out House of Dorchester. Hotel Chocolat and M&S both have the over-dominant chocolate issue.
      Sovay

      Delete
    3. I do know what you mean, the balance of violet and chocolate is important.

      Delete
  17. I read this post on the train and still mulling it over went back to the collection of short stories I was reading: and the very next story was Simon Brett's 'The Girls in the Villa Costas' which features a box of Turkish Delight! Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost sinister! Dusting the Turkish Delight with white powder seems an easy choice - comes up in Sayers somewhere? I will be safe as am not a fan. (of turkish Delight, obv, not DLS)

      Delete
    2. It's in 'Strong Poison' - part of Peter Wimsey's scheme to establish how the arsenic could have been administered to the victim.
      Sovay

      Delete
  18. I think Deed Without A Name by Dorothy Bowers has someone taken ill after eating some chocolates that arrive anonymously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - you'd think anyone would be suspicious of chocs through the post by the 1940s, but book characters never learn do they? 😊

      Delete
  19. Not poison, but Kenneth Grahame’s autobiographical novel about childhood, Dream Days, has an entire chocolate room. The young narrator invites a little girl whom he admires to share his imaginary palace - the best room is the chocolate one. Their romance founders when the girl declares that she likes soft centres best, because “you can eat more of them”. Chocolate is a rarity in the lives of the narrator and his siblings, who prefer hard chocolate because you can make it last so much longer. The disagreement shows their incompatibility: true love should share tastes in chocolates, apparently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blimey, I don't remembe that, though I read Dream Days when I was young (thinking it would be like Wind in the Willows. It wasn't). I have to say, it sounds weird. I dread to think what a psycho-analyst would make of all that....

      Delete

Post a Comment