Christie Catch-up: At Bertram’s Hotel

At Bertram’s Hotel by Agatha Christie

 published 1965

 

 


I have a very beatup copy of this book, old and secondhand, and I couldn’t have told you when and where I obtained it. But when I opened it for this re-read, I found inside the handwritten name of a family I used to babysit for, a very long time ago. I must have started reading it while in their house and then taken it home - with or without permission? - and never returned it. Dear me. (My babysitting adventures have featured in another post: the Friday Fright Night/Night of the Demon event). Too late to worry about this now…

Bertram did come up in my talk on clothes at the Agatha Christie Festival last year: because it features that favourite trope, the clothes that men cannot truly appreciate - the picture I used is above:

Her dress was of such simplicity that it puzzled most men. It looked like the coarsest kind of sacking, had no ornamentation of any kind, and no apparent fastening or seams. But women knew better. Even the provincial old dears in Bertram’s knew, quite certainly, that it had cost the earth.

It's rather a cliché of 20th  century fiction, the uncomprehending man, and Christie featured it in Death on the Nile  ("It looks frightfully simple to me," said Tim. "Just a length of stuff with a kind of cord round the middle") and Taken at the Flood (the artificial simplicity of [her frock] had run into more money than Rowley could ever have imagined possible).

Appearances are very important in this book: it has a clever, original and intriguing setting: the hotel tucked away in central London, combining the best of Edwardian traditions and modern luxury. Is it too good to be true?

There’s a lot to enjoy, but it does seem to fall apart, and seems to lack some planning. To be fair to Christie at this stage her books always give the impression that they were planned out, that she knew where she was going. She can be quite careless on details – here, we don’t seem sure as to whether the airline company and matching bag is BEA or BOAC – but you feel she knew in her head who had done what and why, all the way through.

Here,

SLIGHT SPOILER

It was not clear to me at all why the murder happened.

And also – what about the attacks such as the poisoned chocolates – no explanation ever given? And as others have pointed out, it is not at all apparent how the central mother/daughter pair works out. Does everyone know? How does Miss Marple know?

And, finally, and was becoming an increasing problem – the years and ages don’t seem to work out. Although 1955 is mentioned on the first page, the action is obviously up to 10 years later – the Beatles are mentioned. If Elvira is 19, she was born in 1943/44 – while her mother was busily embedded with the French Resistance, rather than stuck in her marriage with Elvira’s father, Lord Coniston.

The impersonation plot – and I do love impersonation strands normally – seems to make no sense at all, it goes with the ludicrous drug plots I like to lay into.

But still – readable and interesting, a nice late example. The surrounding details, and the description of London life, are well worth the effort.

I found about Blind Earl china – an early Royal Worcester pattern which has an extra 3-dimensional aspect allegedly to please an aristo who lost his sight.


More clothes for Bess:

She was dressed ready to go out in a well cut dark suit and a shirt of bright emerald green. She looked gay and very much alive.



This is Elvira:

Tall, slim, very fair, Bess’s colouring but none of Bess’s vitality, with an old-fashioned air about her: though that was difficult to be sure of, since the fashion in dress happened at the moment to be ruffles and baby bodice.



(elsewhere she is described as being ‘simply but smartly dressed’ and later wears ‘a straight shift dress of pale blue’, so this doesn’t quite sound right.)

And for once an interesting reminiscence from Miss Marple:

“I remember being in Paris with my mother and my grandmother, and we went to have tea at the Elysee Hotel. And my grandmother looked round, and she said suddenly, ‘Clara, I do believe I am the only woman here in a bonnet!’ And she was too! When she got home she packed up all her bonnets, and her beaded mantles too – and sent them off… to a theatrical Repertory Company. They appreciated them very much.”

This has the air of something that happened to Agatha Christie and her mother and grandmother.

The distinction, by the way, is that a bonnet is a hat with strings or ribbons under the chin, one that frames the face and covers the ears. This from the NYPL shows bonnet and styles from 1890, the year of Agatha's birth.



 Overall  - there is a lot to nitpick in this book, BUT I think it's a book that Christie fans have a forgiving soft spot for. We like the whole idea of Bertram's Hotel. 

Comments

  1. Twiggy!!! Talk about blasts from the past. People my age probably look back on the 60's with the same sense of nostalgia Miss Marple feels for earlier days! The Passing Tramp has a post on this book from several weeks ago and he mentions Christie's warning that nostalgia is a dangerous trap, and that "Life is a one-way street." But nostalgia aside, the kind of pampering you'd get in a hotel like Bertram's would be a real treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I loved that picture. And of course you are right - Twiggy's heyday is 60 years ago, which is roughly the gap Miss M might have been talking about.
      I'm all for luxury any place I can find it - but somewhere new and modern would always appeal to me more. (none of these things are really on offer to me of course)

      Delete
  2. I love those descriptions of clothes, Moira! It just makes me chuckle to read how Christie imagined men would view women's clothes. There's just a bit of that when Poirot is looking through collection of Arlena Stuart's hats in Evil Under the Sun, too. You make a good point about things that aren't explained very well in this one, or aren't tied up with the precision that Christie used in other books. Still I love the hotel as a setting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poirot talking about Arlena Stuart is a great addition to my list of those examples Margot - thanks for reminding me!
      I did another book with a hotel setting a few days ago, not consciously - I think hotel books are my new favourites!

      Delete
  3. You mentioned ludicrous drug plots and I just finished a book that had one. The villains even distributed (gasp) marijuana. The book was "Out for the Kill" by Anthony Gilbert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I like a recommendation for an Anthony Gilbert book nearly as much as I like a ludicrous drug plot! Thanks, will try to get hold of it.

      Delete
  4. I could never make sense of the impersonation element here - so much trouble for so little benefit - and eventually came to the conclusion that the perpetrators had just made it up for their own entertainment. Possibly the same is true of the Byzantine drug-distribution schemes ...
    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, you put it very well. I'm glad it's not just me.

      Delete
  5. Yes, certainly - not one of her best, but yes, equally, I too have a soft spot for it. It's got Miss Marple and I'd love to stay in a hotel like that. Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to feel it's a widespread view! We can see what's wrong and we still like it. And that's that.

      Delete
  6. I don't remember this well except (which clearly everyone still retains) how fabulous the hotel seems. I guess someone was paying for Miss Marple to stay there as a treat?

    A bonnet (a sun bonnet is different and even less elegant) seems like something a child would wear because of tying under the chin; however, I don't know how anyone keeps a more elegant hat on without some kind of bobby pins or clips. Surely hat pins would not stand up to a windy day? My umbrella blew out of my hand and across the street in a storm yesterday and I was grateful for the somewhat hideous hood on my winter coat. Admittedly, no one would wear a delicate hat on a blustery day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Marple's kindly nephew, the famous Raymond, is giving her a treat: something he seems very happy to do, which is charming.
      You raise very interesting hat questions! Some people had a kind of wedge that went between hair and hat, and I guess you could really push on the pins there, but perhaps only women who were rich enough to have carriages could have very fragile hats. There's a description of shoes (modern-day) as being only suitable for stepping from home to taxi then into a party - perhaps hats had the same categories back in the day.

      Delete
    2. In Swedish there is (or used to be) the word "sittskor" = sitting-down-shoes. Indeed, I have some of these, including a pair of fabulous 40s black suede shoes with a thick sole and chunky heel. The problem with vintage clothing is of course that once you find something you like it may not be your size and there will not be a selection - it's take it or leave it. So I took them in spite of the fact that they are 1.5 centimetres (which is apparently 19/32 inches) too small. Last week I cycled to a café to sit down and have coffee with a friend in the. That worked, as did taking the car to a meeting, driving in another pair of shoes, and then putting the beauties on for the VERY short walk from the car park to the building where the meeting was. My partner thinks I must be mad; he just cannot get it into his head that someone would do this. I can kind of see his point...

      Delete
    3. Oh I think we all know what you're talking about here, or should I say without getting too stereotyped, the women among us do. I love the idea of sittskor!
      I have done this many times in the past, but am trying to be more sensible. Mmmm....we'll see.

      Delete
  7. Maybe bonnets were hopelessly out-of-date even when Dame Agatha was a girl, but Angela Thirkell's Miss Brandon (Aunt Sissie) didn't get the memo. She goes full-on Queen Victoria in mourning for her rather forgettable nephew. "It was here that for the first and only time [the young Mrs. Brandon] felt a faint doubt as to the propriety of mourning in white, for her aunt by marriage was wearing such a panoply of black silk dress, black cashmere mantle, black ostrich feather boa and unbelievably a black bonnet trimmed with black velvet and black cherries, that Mrs. Brandon wondered giddily whether spinsters could be honorary widows." Angela Thirkell, The Brandons, 1939.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooof! I see you've already blogged on the terrifying Miss Brandon's mourning ensemble, https://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2015/04/the-brandons-by-angela-thirkell.html

      Delete
    2. Yes indeed! Someone recommended it to me, and I loved it. There's a magic moment when the poor widow is wearing white and under arcane rules the hideous Miss Brandon cleaims to believe that she must be pregnant. Loved that moment.

      Delete
  8. Poirot himself reminisces about wearing an updo and big hat, secured by hat pins, in a high wind! These must be Christie's memories. In her autobiography, she recalls her hair reached her waist, but it was all twisted up in a knob on the top of her head, and secured by pins. Various switches in the right colour were then pinned on. And the hat was pinned on top of all that - plenty of hair to stick the foot-long hatpins into. Women with shorter hair created the Gibson girl look by pinning their hair over "rats", pad made from their own hair-combings. This explains the "hair tidy" that hung by your mirror. Again, plenty to stick hatpins into.

    I've never understood the substitution part of the plot. And there's too much coincidence, tho Miss M does get to have a cup of tea in the 60s modernistic kiosk in St James's Park.

    Also in her autobiography, as a tiny child Christie was taken for walks by a nursemaid.
    Her mother: "Did you have a nice walk?"
    Nursemaid: "We didn't see anyone nicer than ourselves."
    Child Agatha is then haunted by a vision of two people exactly like themselves who may pop round the next corner...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, rats, that was what I was trying to remember the name of!
      That was always a very odd moment of description by Poirot, especially given his egg-shaped head.
      Someone gave me a marvellous collection of photos of pre-WWI hats which I very much enjoy gazing out and using in the odd entry (such as this one https://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2017/05/hat-heaven-mosaic-by-gb-stern.html )

      Delete

Post a Comment