Xmas Book Scenes – Department Store Sales

 

 

Christmas Book Scenes!  During December I like to post entries which are more Christmas in Books than Clothes in Books, and kind readers say it puts them in a seasonal mood.

If you have a favourite Christmas book or scene not featured yet – please let me know

 

Women in Black by Madeleine St John

aka Ladies in Black

published 1993

set in 1960

 

 


 

[book extract:]The scene which met the military eye of the Ruritanian army officer [doorman], as he ushered Lady Pyrke through the doorway of Goode’s at eleven a.m. on Christmas Eve, was pandemonium, with sound effects complete. To the obligato of a hundred intense conversations between the black-clad staff and their customers were added the shrill ringing of cash register bells, the cries of lift attendants – Going Up! – and the unhappy shrieks of children large and small whom it had been impossible to park with neighbours: the women of Sydney, or a frightening proportion thereof, were still doing their Christmas shopping, and it could only, so the lieutenant-colonel observed to himself, get much worse as the day wore on, for after lunch the office workers let off early, as so many of them were on this day, would swell the throng. Lady Pyrke sailed sedately down the marble stairs into the mêlée as if stepping into the waters at Baden Baden: at a time like this, thought the lieutenant-colonel, it really pays to be non compos mentis: good luck to the old girl. He watched her proceeding serenely to the handkerchief counter and turned back to face the street…

Each floor of the great building revealed substantially the same sight: of hundreds of women, all caution, all dignity abandoned, fighting for their rights to possession of frocks, skirts, jerseys, shoes, blouses and hats at greatly reduced prices. Who could blame them, who so much as criticise? They were driven not by any impulse so mere as greed or vanity, but by a biological law which impelled them to make themselves fine.

 


comments: For more about this book see two earlier entries. I said then that I do love a book set in a department store, and such a shop at Christmas is even better.

The sales are very important to heroine Lisa because there is a dress she longs and longs for – the Lisette, so it is obviously MEANT for her – and she is hoping and hoping that a reduction in price and perhaps more hours working will mean she can finally afford it… No spoilers here.

Lisa is growing up throughout the book: her real name is Lesley, but she tells her new workmates it is Lisa. And in her friendship with the wonderful Magda, she finds out about all kinds of new things:

 ‘And what’s this?’ [Her father] picked up a slice of salami.

‘That’s salami,’ said Mrs Miles. ‘I got it for Lesley.’

‘There’s no keeping up with you, Lesley,’ said her father. And, he thought, it’s true. ‘Salami, eh,’ said Mr Miles, tasting it. ‘I suppose I could get used to it. Let me try another piece. Quite tasty.’

There’s no keeping up, but also no going back: the Miles family is heading into the 1960s at full tilt.



See the entry on Bond Street Story in 2019, and an Ellery Queen story  - I called the post ‘Is Santa guilty?’.  And the description above very much reminded me of Colm Toibin’s Brooklyn, where the sales are equally important. Emil Zola wrote a wonderful book about a department store back in 1883, Les Bonheurs de Dames – I had to do my own translation from the French in the excerpt for my blogpost.

Back to Ellery Queen for the French Powder Mystery,  with a second post about the drug plotline in the book. And yet more department store murders in this post, which contains a very long and more comprehensive list of my entries on the subject.

The  shop in the book is apparently very clearly based on David Jones in Sydney: shown here in the 1950s (top pic).

The colour picture is the Galeries Lafayette in Paris – wrong era, wrong place. But what a great Christmassy picture. It was taken by Benh LIEU SONG, of Torcy, France. The second black and white picture shows women in California waiting for the sales. 

 

Comments

  1. I love mysteries set in department stores, too, Moira. There's just something about those places, isn't there? Different people, lots going on, and all sorts of possibilities. What I like, too, is the physical settings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favourites, so many possibilities in so many different directions!

      Delete
  2. When I was a student in Paris, I used to love to go to the Galeries Lafayette, even though I was usually too broke to afford even the cheapest scarf or bracelet. When I returned to France in 2018 with my sisters, I made them go to the store when I revisited it. It's still magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always loved it too. It had that incredible lingerie department downstairs, I used to love to just go and gawp....

      Delete
  3. Saki (of course!)'s Cyprian in "The Dreamer", has an entertaining guerrilla technique to deal with the sales at Walpurgis and Nettlepink (of course again!) when his aunt Adela conscripts him as a bargain-carrier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and here he is on the blog! https://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2012/08/a-dreamy-young-man-with-no-hat.html Very early days of CiB, and I remember how delighted I was at that photo to represent Cyprian.

      Delete
  4. I love this book (and the film too). It captures that late 1950s/early 60s optimism, which also comes through in Ladybird books and the "Look at Life" short films they show on Talking Pictures TV. And as I'm about to experience my second Christmas in New Zealand I enjoy reading about a southern hemisphere Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh great, someone pointed out to me on Twitter about being southern hemisphere and am happy to have finally made it, I think the first time I have featured such a book.
      Yes, so much to love about book and film.

      Delete
  5. I loved "Women in Black" which I first encountered on this blog and immediately ordered and devoured in one sitting. The Christmas aspect of it admittedly felt a bit strange bordering on unreal to a person from northern Europe because of the hot weather. Imagine cooking a turkey in sweltering heat... It reminds me of an Australian friend of mine, who said she was so excited about her first Christmas in Sweden, partly because finally all that hot and stodgy Christmas food would be served in its right setting. Imagine her disappointment when she realised that we don't eat a cooked dinner at Christmas - we do an elaborate smorgasbord where pride of place is taken by a big (cold) ham.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me so happy when that happens, thank you!
      I wouldn't have known that about Swedish tradition - sounds very sensible. Do you do anything special on Christmas Eve? - I know in some countries the big dinner is then.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Christmas Eve is the big day in Sweden. This is when the Christmas presents are opened (in the afternoon or evening) and when the big dinner is eaten. The smorgasbord does have some hot dishes, like meatballs and spare ribs and sausages, red and brown cabbage (it's brown because it has been fried with brown syrup and soy sauce) and boiled potatoes, but the ham is the big thing. Oh, and several kinds of pickled herring of course. And meat (pork) in aspic. Apart from the herring i's basically an exhibition of everything you can do with a slaughtered pig. You cook for days and weeks in advance - and then you live off it for a couple of weeks.

      Delete
    3. Oh my goodness, that sounds incredible! All my favourite foods. ***plots how to be in Sweden on Christmas Eve one of these years***
      brown cabbage - I may need to look that up and find a recipe....
      I always say there's a classic English way of entertaining which is 'Pig & Pastry' - sausage rolls, pork pies, ham sandwiches. This sounds even better.

      Delete
    4. Moira, it's extremely simple to make brown cabbage: Chop up a head of ordinary (white) cabbage. Spread it out on a buttered oven tray, add some brown syrup (2-3 tablespoons) and the same amount of soy sauce. Stir and bake in a moderate oven (175-200 degrees Celsius) for something like 30-60 minutes - stirring it now and then and tasting it now and then to see if it needs more soy sauce or syrup - until it's all melted down into a soft sweet/salt gooey mash. Not everyone likes it but I find it addictive. Goes equally well with ham, ribs or meatballs. The red cabbage is chopped up and then cooked slowly in a saucepan for 20-30 minutes with a couple of chopped onions and apples and then seasoned with cloves, allspice, a spoonful of honey and a little vinegar.

      And I mean it when I say we live off the Christmas foods until twelfth night or so. On Christmas Eve you lay out the full smorgasbord and eat until your tummy aches, but after that you only take out a couple of things at the time from the fridge: Maybe ham sandwiches for lunch one day and then ribs and red cabbage and potatoes for dinner. Or herring for lunch and meatballs, brown cabbage and potatoes for dinner. And so on...

      Delete
    5. I will deinitely make that, though not entierely sure what brown syrup is? We have golden syrup.
      I was obviously Swedish in another life - everything about that sounds wonderful to me, both the food choices, and the idea of the full spread followed by greatest hits! And that this makes life much easier for the cook/food organizer.

      Delete
    6. "Brown syrup" is basically the same as golden syrup, only in Sweden this comes in two varieties, a lighter and a darker one, so I'm referring to the darker one. I don't think it matters a bit which one you use, though. (And brown cabbage is also excellent with sausage.)

      Delete
    7. I am so going to make this, to eat with our Christmas meats....

      Delete
  6. Moira, you previously mentioned Business as Usual by Jane Oliver and Ann Stafford. A department store novel that really gives a feeling of the exhaustion and frustration of those providing Christmas for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you are so right, the atmosphere in that book was just right.

      Delete

Post a Comment