Christmas Decorations: Who Has Holly?

Every year during December I post entries which are more Christmas in Books than Clothes in Books, and kind readers say it puts them in a seasonal mood.

This year we may need this more than ever, so here we are getting going in December.

And if you have a favourite Christmas book or scene not featured yet – please let me know



the book: A Mixture of Frailties by Robertson Davies

Book 3 of the Salterton Trilogy

published 1958 (my edition also gives the date 1951, but that is apparently wrong)




[excerpt from book]


[Monica, a young Canadian woman, is studying in England, and goes to Wales for Christmas. She is out walking with a young man, Ripon]

‘Do you know, I’ve just had the most extraordinary experience? Look at these hedges; do you know what they are?’

‘Of course I do; they’re holly.’

‘Yes, but – I’ve never seen holly before. Oh I’ve seen a few sprigs, imported to Canada for decoration, and I’ve seen imitation holly. But this is the real thing – miles and miles of it – just growing beside the road as a hedge. All my life I’ve associated holly with Christmas, but I never really knew till this minute why. I never understood that it was something real. I’ve seen it on paper wrappings, and in pictures, and I never knew why it went with Christmas, except that it was pretty. But here it is, in December, green leaves and red berries and all! It’s like suddenly getting a mysterious piece of a jigsaw puzzle to fit into place.’…

It was absolutely idyllic to gather holly and mistletoe… and hang it in festoons on the staircase, to put sprigs of mistletoe in places where mistletoe had been hung for as long as anyone could remember.

‘Mistletoe!’ [their hostess] cried. ‘Oh what fun! You’ll be absolutely worn out with gallantry, Mr Ripon.’


comments: There’s an authentic reaction for you, one that you would be hard put to make up: most people I’m guessing, including me, would have no idea that holly wasn’t universal. I discovered that Robertson Davies’s family, although based in Canada, owned a house in Wales that RD visited (in fact he spent his honeymoon there) – and the Welsh country house in this book is plainly based on it. So perhaps he too once had the sudden realization about holly.

This picture [By ActionOverWords - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0] shows the house, Fronfraith Hall, in 2014:


The Salterton Trilogy comprises three very different books, although part of the setting and some of the characters continue – Salterton is a small busy university town in Canada. Tempest-Tost is about an amateur performance of The Tempest, and although this is familiar ground (amateur dramatics AND campus novel) it is very very funny and a delight to read. Leaven of Malice follows some of the same characters as a joke goes wrong, legal action is taken, and a romance is in danger of failing: a small-town newspaper is at the centre of the action. In this one, the third, A Mixture of Frailties, a character from the previous books has left a ridiculous will which changes many lives. But then unexpectedly it turns into a fascinating novel about Monica, above, coming to Europe to pursue her music studies: Henry James-esque in its consideration of Old World and New, and the effects and importance of art and music.

The books are all very different and each is wonderful in its own way – I read all three during quite a difficult week, and they were perfect company at a hard time.

I love Robertson Davies anyway and never know why he is not better-known – though I presume (and my Canadian friends and readers can tell me if I am right) that he is revered as a man of letters in in his native Canada. I can remember picking up Fifth Business in the late 1970s, and being astonished that I could never find anyone else who had even heard of him. Davies (1913-95) is roughly contemporaneous with William Golding (1911-1993) and while I respect and admire the British author (world-class reputation, Nobel Prize) I would much rather read Davies: he writes so well, does splendid plots and characters, and has goodness in his heart.

And a good reason to show Welsh Christmas pictures from the 1950s! The National Library of Wales has a lovely collection. The boys above have been collecting holly and mistletoe to sell.

Comments

  1. I never knew, either, that holly's not universal, Moira. Goes to show you we should all keep learning! This sounds like such an interesting trilogy. You don't usually see one with three such different novels; that doesn't sound easy to pull off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's very unusual as the trilogy has many continuing characters, but they are three completely different books. He was a great writer...

      Delete
  2. That's so interesting, about holly.
    Re. Christmas books, there's a lovely Christmas in Kevin Crossley Holland's The Seeing Stone.
    And The Tailor of Gloucester had the best clothes.

    (There's a little museum off the Grand Canal in Venice that has perfect Tailor of Gloucester clothes.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two more for me to look up then! I love the idea of the Tailor of Gloucester in Venice...

      Delete
  3. I remember seeing Davies in the early 1990s, walking through the campus of the University of Toronto wearing a beautifully tailored Inverness, at least I think it was. I wanted to ask him what the difference was between an Ulster and and an Inverness but was too shy to approach him. I'm sure he would have answered me in great detail. It's a visual memory I will always treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow how fascinating, lucky you. He always sounds like such a nice man, I'm sure he wouldn't have minded. My own view, FWIW, is that an Inverness has a short cape over the shoulders? But I could be wrong.

      Delete
  4. Davies was Master of a Canadian university college and introduced the custom (one of the perks of the job, I assume) of telling a ghost story every Christmas. They're collected in High Spirits. Very different to M.R. James, but well worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like that will be a future Christmas entry here! I think I might have that book on the shelves somewhere.

      Delete
  5. Waving from Toronto, here. Well, I never thought of holly as an actual bush until I lived in Vancouver for a time, ca. 1970, and was enthralled by the clumps of holly bushes here and there, especially on the bus route out to UBC.

    I read Leaven of Malice about the same time, but never really developed a passion for Robertson Davies' books, though well aware of all of them. But perhaps I should get my hands on the Salterton Trilogy and enjoy taking a walk into the past.

    By the way, for some holly and decoration joy , it's time to get out An Edwardian Christmas, from John. S. Goodall's series of delicious picture books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right great, another one to chase up. Oh, just looked it up, beautiful cover which I immediately loved, but only very expensive copies. Drat!

      HIs books seem quite different from each other. I particularly loved this trilogy because they were so much set in and written in the 1950s, I felt like they were the kind of novel people read then, and that added to my joy, though I'd be hard put to say exactly why...

      Delete
  6. I think it is possible to grow holly in Sweden, at least in the south where I live, but I don't think I have ever seen it in anybody's garden and it most certainly does not grow wild. And it has no Christmas associations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Christmas associations! this is such a voyage of discovery. I'm sure we insular British people just assume that our traditions are universal. I do remember when we lived in the USA for a few years we kept finding evidence to the contrary. No mince pies and no Christmas Crackers!

      Delete
  7. Fascinating, Moira! I loved these books when I read them in, I think, the late 80s. Good-heartedness is such an important quality in a writer.
    Christmas scenes in books - how about the one in What Katy Did At School, where the Christmas boxes arrive? It's a favourite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good-heartedness.
      I think you suggested Katy last year, I made my note, and now I recommend that you look at the blog probably on Christmas Eve! It is already written, I just haven't finished my important scheduling decisions yet...

      Delete
    2. Oh good, a treat in store!

      Delete
    3. Such a great scene, I was so glad you reminded me of it.

      Delete
  8. I have not read anything by Robertson Davies, even though some of his books have been on my list for the Canadian Reading Challenge, and my son has copies he will lend me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give him a try Tracy, I think you will like him.

      Delete
  9. Hi Moira, I'm writing from an hour west of Toronto. I've read all of Robertson Davies novels, and though his reputation continued to grow during his lifetime, I think I enjoy the freshness of the early Salterton trilogy best. HIs once very high reputation in Canada seems to be in decline since his death. Pleased that read this excerpt and have you bring him to your readers' attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The US perspective is similar. I feel he was much read in the 80s and 90s and has slipped away. I am not sure I would enjoy him as much now as I did then, to be frank. Only the Deptford Trilogy, surely the best known set, are in print from Viking (though it seems you can get some of the others as Kindle editions). But certainly a distinct and inventive and thoughtful writer.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ken and nbmandel, glad to find fellow fans, but disappoinint that his reputation is maybe dipping - perhaps he will have a resurgence of interest at some point. 'distinct, inventive and thoughtful' is a great description of him.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Yes! I was SO pleased with it, glad you appreciated!

      Delete

Post a Comment