Barbara Cartland: Give Pink a Chance

The Great Dictator by Matthew Sweet

published 2026


 

Writing about the Royals for the I newspaper recently, I picked up Matthew Sweet’s new biography of Barbara Cartland, marvellously titled The Great Dictator. I am a big fan of Matthew Sweet’s writing (click on the tag to find more from him), and although I was initially looking for the Dame’s connections with the royals - she was Princess Diana’s stepgrandmother, and a good friend of Lord Mountbatten - the book was hugely enjoyable all the way through.

She was an extraordinary character, who lived an extraordinary life, and the book does her full justice. She is famous for her romance novels, her huge rate of production, her fondness for pink, her health claims, her psychic interests, her opinions on everything and willingness to be endlessly interviewed by people who weren’t taking her seriously. She dictated her books to a secretary, while lying on a chaise longue, swathed in pink.

She nicely spanned the 20th century – 1901-2000, and while everything you have heard about her is true, there was more to her than seems at first glance, and by the end of the book I was full of admiration and warm feelings for her. She was not wholly reliable in reporting her own life, Sweet takes apart some of her fabrications – she was forever changing, for example, the number of men who had proposed to her, and making wild claims for things he had invented and done first and introduced.



But still – what a woman. She had endless interests, she knew everyone she was apparently tireless. She had some mad views (eugenics, space aliens), and some very Right wing views, but she also had a warmth, a kind heart, and a belief in doing what was right. I was astonished to read how she took the cause of some local gypsies to heart, and worked hard – and successfully - over a long period of time to get them a place to camp and a chance for education for children.

One of the men who proposed to her was in Young and Innocent, an early Hitchcock film we have covered here on the blog… Another is described thus by her: “Pilot in the Meopham Air Disaster which is still suspected of being caused by creatures from outer space”. She even – talking of Royals – was almost kissed by Ernest Simpson before he married Wallis who later became Duchess of Windsor.

Her own family life was peculiar, and not much resembling those of her heroines. She was very close with her mother Polly, and exceptionally so with her brother Ronald, who was gay and died in WW2. She married twice, and had three children. Sweet says this

Perhaps it would be best to think of the relationship between Barbara and her daughter as a finishing school in which the classes went on for ever and the work was never done, and neither pupil nor teacher could escape from Switzerland.

--this was Raine, who married Diana Spencer’s divorced father Johnnie, to the disdain of his children.


Raine as debutante

The number of books Barbara Cartland produced is truly startling, even if she hadn’t had whole other lives in voluntary work, local government, welfare work, agony aunt. The woman never stopped.

Sweet, always good with a phrase, says this:

Her successors in the field – talented professionals who write passionate stories that sometimes involve lovers in buccaneer boots or whalebone corsets – have become accustomed to people asking if they work from bed with a lapdog and a box of violet creams. They know that Barbara represents romantic fiction as Dracula represents vampires, and that she has proved equally impossible to kill.

She wrote more than 700 books – the exact number is hard to pin down – and did sell a lot of them: financial details equally hard to pin down.

It is a great regret for me that I never interviewed her in my young days as a journalist – too busy talking to important politicians and others in public life, long forgotten and no-one is writing books about them now. Interviews with Cartland turned up in magazines and newspapers on a very regular basis, all much the same but all enjoyable. As Sweet describes:

Journalists came to Camfield to see a fabulous beast in her natural habitat. A day with Barbara, however, was more like being a mouse in a Skinner box than David Attenborough on the trail of the Komodo dragon. By 1970, she had perfected the process – the compendious briefing document, tied in pink ribbon and sent out in advance, detailing Barbara’s greatest achievements; the chauffeur despatched in the white Rolls-Royce (registration bc 29) to St Albans or Hatfield station; the audience itself, during which the visitor, if sufficiently skilful, would get a word in edgeways; the afternoon tea with the Pekingese beneath the table, poised to receive a choux bun; the parting present of a bundle of paperbacks and a gold-painted acorn from the Elizabethan oak.

 

Oh but Matthew Sweet is the man for the brilliant detail:

She confessed that she no longer threw up her arms and declared “Look at me!” when people asked her about the benefits of vitamins, because on her most recent trip to India she had done this and fallen down the steps of the Taj Mahal.



He says he was allowed unprecedented access to her files and archives and correspondence in her own home: which had been virtually untouched since her death. He says sadly that no-one writing a biography is ever likely to have records and letters, notebook and manuscripts in quite that way again.

But still the credit goes to him for writing such an entertaining, clear-eyed and fair-minded biography. It is a joy to read.

Her books, and the thorny question of comparisons with Georgette Heyer, will need another entry…

Comments

  1. I have to confess that I've never read anything by Barbara Cartland (I'm not a big reader of romance novels), so I wouldn't instinctively have picked this up, but I love the quotes you included! Now I am tempted to give this a go despite the fact that I'm not very familiar with the subject. Sweet can certainly turn a phrase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll go into this more in a future post, but I'm rather like you - and still enjoyed the book hugely.

      Delete
  2. I have had a soft spot for her since I read The Glamour Boys, by a gay Labour MP, whose name I can't recall off hand, about the gay MPs who among other things opposed appeasement in the !930s. She was a devoted sister to Ronald and supported him financially with her writing. I am a fan of Matthew Sweet, too. Think I will put this on my Christmas list. My children might be rather surprised ... Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's interesting, I didn't know about that book.
      I think there are many people who might be putting this on their list as a surprise to famlily!
      It's fascinating as a look through the 20th C, and Matthew Sweet is such a good writer.

      Delete
  3. I read a shedload of Barbara Cartland in my early teens – the village library had dozens of BC paperbacks, as did the book exchange market stall in the local town. I don’t remember anything much about them, except the covers (invariably depicting the teenage heroine with flouncy dress and enormous eyes) and the fact that said teenage heroines all had very fancy names – Florinda and Gardenia and Viridia and so on.

    What a shame that you missed out on the interview, the afternoon tea and the goody bag! It sounds like quite an experience. Adding the book to the library list – she was clearly far more interesting than I gave her credit for, though I’m not sure that almost being kissed, or even actually being kissed, by Ernest Simpson is anything to write home about.

    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heroine NAMES! Honestly, I have too much fun making up Cartland Heroine Names to the extent that I literally can't remember whether Colanda and Direutika and Salmonella are genuine Cartland heroines or ones I made up as part of my riffs.

      Delete
    2. And Chlamydia and Alopecia and Velocity …

      Sovay

      Delete
    3. You both made me laugh! She puts Patricia Wentworth to shame.
      Another measure of passing time is that she has covers throughout the 20C, and you can see how they entirely match up iwth the date of printing, rather than eg Regency times or whenever they were set

      Delete
    4. The covers I recall are by Francis Marshall - a highly respected illustrator of contemporary fashion in his day (he wrote a book on the subject which I have a copy of) but the Cartland covers are probably what he’s remembered for now. I think BC had a large collection of the original artworks. Scanning through the images reminded me that BC ranged far more widely than Georgette Heyer in terms of period settings - plenty of crinolines and bustles and leg o’mutton sleeves, though as you say, the illustrations are unmistakeably 20th century.

      Sovay

      Delete
    5. There is a certain recognizable Cartland style in the covers isnt there? I hadn't realized till I read this book how consistent they were, that Marshall did so many of them.

      Delete
  4. She certainly was a larger-than-life sort of person, Moira, and I'm not surprised that there's an awful lot to her story. When someone has as much impact as Cartand did, it makes sense that there'd be a lot to unpack in a biography, and it sounds like that's the case here. You know, I only vaguely knew about her connection to the Royals, and that's fascinating. At any rate, glad you enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I searched Barbara Cartland's book covers, to check that they were as flouncy and big-eyed as I remembered (they were) and was struck by Love at the Helm which included an impressive bit of royal name-dropping on the front cover: "By Barbara Cartland, inspired and helped by Admiral of the Fleet the Earl Mountbatten of Burma". There's posh ...

      Sovay

      Delete
    2. Margot, the level of her connnections and networing is remarkable!
      Sovay, she was v friendly with Mountbatten, though Sweet gently suggests that the level of their friendship was exaggerated by her once he had died...
      He also knew Agatha Christie and is one of various people who may have inspired Roger Ackroyd. The man got around.

      Delete
  5. Like Sovay, I read masses of Barbara Cartland at a young age. BC is very readable on one level ...but I didn't realise she dictated her books. I am fascinated - who was her amanuensis? What a way to earn a living! I will have to read Sweet's bio to find out. I have just ordered as his Shepperton Babylon as recommended by CiB
    There is a photo of Dirk Bogarde in top to toe leather on the cover. It's a lot of look. JanW


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She employed secretaries and was very fussy about their manner and appearance!
      Yes I used that photo for a post - the descriptions of Bogarde in his films (and trousers) in Shepperton Babylon made me shout with laughter. You will love the book

      Delete
  6. I do not believe I have ever read anything by Barbara Cartland. I prefer my genre fiction crime-filled. I had heard of the Georgette Heyer controversy in general so I look forward to seeing your deep dive on it. Matthew Sweet sounds like a writer I need to investigate and this book is as good a place to start as any. Thank you for the referral! Aubrey Hamilton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, and I can really recommend the book on several levels, I so hope you will enjoy it.

      Delete
  7. I've got rather stuck on her forebears. I'd like to know more about her career - starting as a gossip columnist reporting on the bright young people. Her early novels were about the current scene - I'd like to read those. I read one about the driver of a WRVS tea wagon in the war. Good story, lots of observation - can't find it again. Can't stand the Regency period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I think the older contemporary ones were better. She used her own experiences rather thank nicking Regency details from Heyer!

      Delete
  8. I've read quite a few of her books out of curiosity and actually, some of them - the earlier ones - aren't so bad, actually quite readable, but you can definitely trace the decline through them, like in Agatha Christie (towards the end, they're basically sentences as paragraphs and her big-eyed, virginal Angina and Asthma and Anemia and Anorexia get increasingly breathless, maybe... because their names... are the most.... polysyllabic....(gasp, gasp, swoon, heave)...words in the books....)

    I don't know that I would ever describe her as a "good" writer, but she was a MAGNIFICENT personality and while I've been known to refer to her later books as Burbling Crapland and can be quite unkind about her, I genuinely adore the fact that she existed and much as I take the Michael out of her, it all comes from a place of love.

    Funnily enough, I do actually have a group of her pink and red clothes from the auction of her wardrobe, including the red Norman Hartnell coat she wears in a photo of herself with the oak tree that she would give out with autograph on (also got one of those!) but I didn't get them from the auction, I got them from the guy who bought them there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, there were definitely multiple Heyer knockoffs, not just the one.

      There's a glorious anecdote about Babs attending a literary luncheon with other authors, I want to say Catherine Cookson was among them, and one of them said she aimed to write a book a year.

      At which the Great Babs pinkly proclaimed that she had written over six hundred titles. At this, one of the other authors exclaimed:

      "Why, Barbara, I had no idea you also wrote a book a year"

      Delete
    2. thanks Daniel, fascinating details and I very much agree with your perceptions. And very impressed by your artefacts, amazing.
      Great anecdote!

      Delete
  9. The Glamour Boys: The Secret Story of the Rebels who Fought for Britain to Defeat Hitler by Chris Bryant includes passages on Ronald. Another brother died in action the day before him. The contemporary Labour Party would probably regard Ronald as dangerously left-wing in his opinions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have missed this book completely: it sounds very interesting.
      The Cartlands were very much tories, but as you say, that very different kind. Do they still exist?
      Cartland had strong views, but also a good heart, and believed in doing what she thought right. I came out from the book full of affectionate admiration for her.

      Delete
    2. I remember a photo (maybe in one of your posts) of young Diana Spencer holding a Cartland book and possibly reading it.... From the look of indifference on her face I can't believe the claim that she got her views on romance from Cartland! As a person she sounds like almost the exact opposite of Heyer.

      Delete
    3. Sir Chris Bryant (as he now is) was recently made Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, which might explain some of the problems in Portadown, given the O.O.'s attitude to gay people

      Delete
    4. Marty: I think there's no doubt that she read stacks of Cartland books
      Roger: Some areas of NI politics definitely respond to that splendid description of certain party's manifestos as 'The Old Testament with wheely bins'

      Delete
  10. I have not read her books but enjoyed reading about her life. I was struck by her bold embrace of pink. She must have loved colour. Flamboyance seems so appropriate for a romance writer. She must have created a moment every time she entered a room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Bill, that's a great summing up. And I believe she also liked hats!

      Delete
    2. She loved pink and red (and an occasional very brilliant blue) because they reminded her of sunsets over the Nile, I seem to recall.

      Delete
    3. I mean, you can't fault her can you?

      Delete
  11. Goodness, what a tour de force. And here I always thought she was all just flounce and frills and virgins.

    Okay, so I read one of her books once. (early 1970s?) Shockingly, I can't recall the title (I just went to the Wiki bibliography page, and it could have been half of them. But the plot, well... Just a little bit different.

    American dollar princess marries impoverished English lord of arrogant demeanour (of course). However, they split immediately, because he cannot abide her rather hefty weight load. She returns to America where,
    due to an illness or accident or something, she becomes an invalid for, let's say a year? And she loses lots and lots of weight, emerging as a svelt and sylphlike beauty. As one does. Returns to England under a false identity, she goes to visit the husband, who now (you'll never guess) falls in love with this bewitching stranger. They engage in s-e-x (it's okay, they're married, right?). When at last she reveals her true identity, all ends happily for them both.

    Except, well, there's clearly some serious character flaws in the husband, who not only married a woman he despised for her money, but then conveniently forgot her existence when bedding another (supposedly) woman.

    That was more than enough for me, but as you can tell, it's stuck with me all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is - quite something. It started out sounding a bit Patricia Wentworth - couple parted by misunderstanding. But the rest is more Shakespearean? Rather Much Ado about Nothing....

      Delete
    2. You do wonder what is the point of making things up with a man who behaved as he did. I could see it more as a revenge plot in which she comes back to humiliate him or break his heart! It doesn't sound as if he regretted anything he had done, or showed any sign of changing for the better?

      Delete
    3. Indeed. One would quite like her to have done him down....

      Delete
    4. Isn’t there a Jilly Cooper novel in which the hero marries a rich overweight girl he doesn’t love (but who loves him); has affairs with slimmer prettier girls whilst his wife supports and finances his show-jumping career; eventually threatens to leave his wife for one of the slimmer prettier girls, whereupon she attempts suicide; but decides, when she emerges slimmer and prettier after recovery time in hospital, that maybe he’ll stick with her after all.

      IIRC there were two male protagonists and this guy was supposed to be the more sympathetic one …

      Sovay

      Delete
    5. It sounds like a Jilly Cooper book! They were different times, but she was obsessed with fatness, slimming, diets

      Delete
  12. I bet she had some lovely bed jackets! Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went looking for Matthew Sweet books and ended up with The West End Front, which is a look at an unusual part of the Home Front. I couldn't resist a book whose cover shows two high-kicking chorus girls wearing gas masks! It looks at the grand hotels in London during WW2. It has a lot about the upper-crust but exclusively, with info about spies and con-men and internment and rationing and other facets of the time. Barbara Cartland even makes a cameo appearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I loved that one too, such an excellent subject. I always like anything about the faded royalty of Eastern Europe, and although posh hotels aren't what first comes to mind with Home Front (less of the make do and mend, more bombshelters at the Ritz) he made it work.
      https://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-west-end-front-by-matthew-sweet.html

      Delete
  14. I've just remembered that Babs said she despised contracted names, considered them vulgar and common, and that was why she gave her children names that couldn't be shortened, like Ian and Raine. (I forget her other son's name)

    Our Babsies clearly never considered that Raine could become "Ray" (let alone Acid Raine). It also raises the question of why she loved incredibly abbreviation-friendly heroine names like Shamara* and Hyphenia and Pepsicola and (looks round pink boudoir for inspiration, peering through those magnificent black crows crashed into the white cliffs of Dover, spots dear little doggie...) Pekinysa.

    * I'm pretty sure Shamara is legit a Cartland heroine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me laugh! Interesting point. Her other son was Glen, so good choice from that pov.
      Honestly, she is jut so fascinating for so many reasons....

      Delete

Post a Comment