North Woods by Daniel Mason
published 2023
The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
published 1940
[Excerpt from North Woods] Anastasia Rossi, born Edith Simmons, sat upright, her bulk
filling the chair to its arms. She was dressed in her typical costume for a
séance: silk kimono trimmed with cambric, loops of jet beads cascading down her
bosom, “Pocahontas” headband with its diadem and ostrich plume. To her right
sat Mr. Farnsworth, a tall, bearded man with russet eyebrows, to whom she had
made love that morning beneath a rearing stuffed panther, lips (the panther’s)
pinned back to show her fearsome teeth. To her left, her thin fingers trembling
in Anastasia’s ample palm, was Mrs. Farnsworth, a slight, hysterical woman in a
neck-high blouse with bishop sleeves. It was she who had first heard the ghosts
that August, and for whose relief the séance was being conducted…
“[the spirits] have not sought to make their delights
known to you in the flesh.”
With the word “flesh,” Mrs. Farnsworth became so instantly
still, so pale, that the possibility occurred to Anastasia that she’d just
killed her, and they were just waiting for her to topple over. Hastily, she
added, “I would say that this is good news, actually. For they do not seem to
be malicious. Incautious, maybe…”
[The medium suggest that they question the spirits about
what they want] “After all, you are their guests.”
“Ha!” said Mr. Farnsworth with a little snort. “Guests? That’s nonsense. We bought the house three years ago. The title, as they say, is free and clear.”
comments: This followed on
nicely from recent watching and reading:
Little
House on the Prairie: Laura had me at the hat
Yesteryear
by Caro Claire Burke
I was quite prepared to read about more pioneers,
backwoodspeople and pioneers. And that is most certainly what you get here.
I had read the same author’s The Piano Tuner many
years ago, without much memory of it, so I gave it ago. And I hated the first
section, really hated it – weird formatting, affected presentation, maddening use
of language. The idea of the book is to tell the story of a piece of land, and
then the house on it, over 400 years of history, starting in the 1760s. (I
think. One of the things I disliked was that you were never told when anything
was happening, you were given clever-clogs clues to work it out. Though it did
seem unlikely that that awful motel had offered, and then lost, HBO by 1978: I
would say HBO was fairly high-end after its national launch in 1975)
I wouldn’t say the story drew me in – it just started being
told in a much more reasonable, sensible way.
The piece of land is in Western Massachusetts, and there is
a lot of detail about the wildlife and natural life. The land becomes home to
some exceptional apple trees. The first main character develops them and is
fairly obsessed with them. He has twin daughters, Alice and Mary, who certainly
cheer up the story, though life isn’t wonderful for them. And then on we go –
each new chunk requiring the reader to to work out the connection with the
previous section, as well as the current date.
As ever, the trees and the insects (and even the apples)
rather left me cold, but then there was a séance, guaranteed to cheer me up. This
chapter was very funny and deeply atmospheric, and also made you start
wondering what else was going on. Like an interesting spirit, I crossed over
into enjoying the book, which was full of strange scenes and items to work out.
The last part of the excerpts above – where the master of the house is outraged
that he would be considered a guest of the spirits – is very funny, but also indicative
of the whole setup of the book. And, what has happened to the apple
trees…?
I will just add another pioneer story: I was sent by
readers to read the Laura Ingalls Wilder book The Long Winter (1940).
This is exactly what it sounds like: terrible weather and snow and storms hit
the prairie, and go on and on, beyond what everyone expects. The families in
the settlement live from hand to mouth, and at times do not know where their
next meal will come from. It is very compelling, but also horrifying. There is
an interesting section where some of the younger men go out into the dangerous
landscape to try to find someone who is supposed to have some food. They obtain
some, then bring it back and want to donate it to the town, to be shared out
according to need. But the storekeeper is going to charge full rate for the
food, making a vast profit. An interesting philosophical point – he thinks it’s
no-one’s business. The matter is resolved eventually. Capitalism vs communism.
They are endlessly waiting for the trains, laden with
provisions, to come, but they are blocked by snow.
There is an awful scene where the cows are weirdly
stationary, locked in a strange position.
“Their heads were frozen over with ice and snow,” Pa said.
“Their breath froze over their eyes and their noses till they couldn’t see nor
breathe.”
Then I came to this:
‘Pa stepped up on the whiffletrees.’
So I looked up this strange word and found that:
The main meaning of whiffletree is swingletree.
Oh.
I’m going to leave you to look this up if you want to know
more, because even when I found a proper explanation, I could sort of see what
it was, but it was not of interest to me.
The winter obviously encompasses a Christmas season, which I will come to in due course…
Paris
fashions (LOC) | Bain News Service,, publisher. Paris … | Flickr
Three
elderly people with two spirits | Creator: William Hop… | Flickr
Elderly
couple with a young female spirit | William Hope, c.… | Flickr
View
of a train between large banks of snow on the F. & P. Rwy. - NYPL Digital
Collections





It's amazing how pioneers lasted through the weather conditions...and of course some didn't. Apparently the reality of that winter was worse than in Laura's book, according to her "autobiography" Pioneer Girl. I remember the great relief when the Chinook wind came to signal the end of winter.
ReplyDeleteThe story was amazing, and terrifying. I think if Id' read it as a child I would have had nightmares
DeleteThinking about it as an adult with some experience of prairie winters, it's absolutely horrifying. I am glad that when I read it as a child, I lived in coastal California and had absolutely no notion of what cold, snow, and ice were like. I had barely ever even seen frost!
DeleteAlso as a child one tends to think snowy days will involve playing out, then coming in to drink hot chocolate in front of the fire in nice dry clothes. We don't really expect that we will be starving, cold and have no light....
DeleteI read it, along with the rest of the series, as a child and it certainly stayed with me, but not to the extent of nightmares, although the image of the cows was disturbing. Unforgettable for me are using the coffee grinder to process wheat for flour and plaiting the straw into sticks to use as firewood. Rose Wilder Lane lived in my hometown in Connecticut, but I didn’t know that until I was a young adult. Margaret
DeleteIt's a book that has certainly stuck in people's minds: I love that we all have slightly different memories. I didn't know she lived in Connecticut - presumably that was later in life?
DeleteShe lived there for about thirty years until her death in 1968. It was probably in about 1966 that a friend mentioned knowing her. Danbury is close enough to New York to have attracted many involved in the arts, literature, etc. Margaret
DeleteInteresting, thanks for telling us
DeleteHonestly, Moira, I don't think I can read either of these, Might give me nightmares even now! Chrissie
ReplyDeleteTee hee. I must say The Long Winter was surprisingly tough. I think these might both be books I read so others don't have to...
DeleteI did read The Long Winter as a child, but I don't remember it being terribly frightening. Gripping, of course, but I never had any doubt that they would be all right. The cows nearly suffocating did bother me, but one was reassured right away that Pa had rescued them. In real life there were other people living with them that winter. It was more like Anne Frank's diary, with all sorts of friction between people who might not have chosen to live with each other if they didn't have to.
ReplyDeleteI suppose because it was a children's book , we assume they will all survive, including the animals
DeleteI've read that Rose and Laura tried to sell the autobiography but had no success until it was edited down into the children's-books.
DeleteVery interesting....
DeleteI read this at 9 and found Almanzo and Cap's adventure to get the wheat so exciting! (although Almanzo is not very articulate, so I imbued Cap with more glamour) I don't remember the poor cows but isn't there a bit where the snow is so deep the horses are at the level of the second story? I suppose that might be later in the series but I think about it during bad snowstorms!
ReplyDeleteThat's quite the image, the horses so high up. The amount of snow is hard to imagine for us here in the southern part of England
DeleteThe photos at the top of the post are uncanny although they were faked and not even faked well. I am easily spooked by books ; I even found Christie's The Pale Horse quite scary. And though I laughed aloud reading parts of Hilary Mantel's Beyond black the overall feel of the book was intensely disturbing.
ReplyDeleteBut I really enjoy obviously fake or misguided mediums especially when they garb themselves in suburban versions of Eastern dress, preferably repurposed old curtains. Thr snowed in scenario is in itself eerie and fascinating and a tad scary so I will look out for them. I am a fan of Christopher Fowler and his book White corridor sees his detectives stranded after a blizzard in one of the few Bryant and May books set outside London.
So I will look for the Mason and Wilder books. Though it feels a tad bizarre to be thinking about snow in the hottest summer on record in the UK
DeleteYes, it was strange reading and then writing while the weather is so hot! It's always hard to imagine ever being cold again.
DeleteI love that set of photos, I have used them a few times over the years. I think they give a really good feel for that atmosphere in which spiritualism and seances flourished.
Christie's Hound of Death gave me the jitters when I was young, and still to some extent now, and I very much agree about Beyond Black. But a good fictional fake is also highly enjoyable...
I reread The Long Winter several years ago and found it fascinating and was surprised I hadn't found it more disturbing as a child. If you are from the UK and of a certain age you may remember the children's TV programme Jackanory, and I remember The Long Winter being one of the stories they read. For those that don't know, you may share my daughter's amazement that this programme consisted of people sitting in a chair and reading a story, often over the course of a week or more, accompanied by pictures!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness I certainly do remember Jackanory, and yes I suppose it would seem very strange to modern young people
DeleteYes - I remember that book on Jackanory - it was one of the rare stories that stretched into the following week. I thought it would never be over!
DeleteHow funny. Isn't it strange the things that stick in our minds? That's the kind of thing I remember, while I probably couldn't tell you about the plot of some thriller I watched last month
DeleteThe fashionable lady above is giving me Scarlett-O'Hara-and-the-curtains vibes, which is not to say that I don't love it.
ReplyDeleteNerys
I LOVE this picture, and her! When I am reading books I make notes and when I was looking back at my notes on this book, I found a reference to another book, and I couldn't make out the connection at all - but it was the book that I had used this picture for before, if you follow me! I'd read the description of the medium, and thought of the picture...
DeleteThis reminded me of Patrick Gale's A Place Called Winter - people settling in the middle of nowhere and building houses, starting everything from scratch. How on earth?
ReplyDeleteJackanory was really good!
I haven't read that one, but I know exactly what you mean, it is unimaginable.
DeleteYes, we loved Jackanory
The winter of 1886-1887 in Montana was known as the Great Die-up; ranchers lost between 60%-90% of their herds.
ReplyDeleteLife was fearsome. Is the weather just as bad now - I kept wondering this while reading The Long Winter - and are we just better at coping with it?
DeleteIt's already snowing in Colorado.
DeleteThat shoud be the name of your country music album
Delete"Where are the snows of yesteryear?" Probably not the exact quote, but I've always had the impression that winters were snowier when I was a kid than they are now. Not Long-Winter snowier, thank heavens, and of course we're better equipped for snow removal now. I suppose that when I was little the snow just seemed "bigger"!
DeleteIt's a French quotation so you can translate it however you want!
DeleteIt would be interesting to see some facts and figures on changes in snowfall
I read the entire Little House series as a child, and even then I remember thinking "those idiots, why are they peeling the potatoes?" (They were down to one potato per person per day, salt, no butter, and then even the potatoes ran out.) Potatoes' nutrition lies in and just under the skin.
ReplyDeleteRereading as an adult I also pick up on the mental slowness and apathy that signals starvation.
Cap Garland, the hero (with Laura's eventual husband Almanzo Wilder) of the wheat expedition, died at just 26 in a boiler explosion.
Grim stuff. --Your blogfriend, Trollopian
Yes indeed. When I'm cooking, I never peel potatoes you'll be glad to hear, but I do cut bits off and trim other vegetables, and I do catch myself thinking 'if we were in a siege situation I could put that in a soup', which now I've written it down looks a bit weird!
DeleteDeath was right up front then.
I don't envisage a siege as such whilst cooking, but do quite often consider what changes I'd have had to make in the time of WW2 (and post-war) rationing; in which I'm assisted by a small collection of WW2 cookery books (least appealing recipe in the collection: Maryland Crusts, which consists of cold boiled Brussels sprouts on cold toast with a sauce of flour, milk-and-water, and "as much cheese as you can spare", which in 1944 wouldn't have been much).
DeleteSovay
Baked potato skins are the best (replied to wrong comment)
DeleteThey are! I'm baffled by those strange people who wrap their potatoes in a layer of tinfoil before putting them in the oven, thus steaming the potato rather than baking it, and depriving themselves of delicious crispy skin.
DeleteSovay
Yes, Sovay, if not the siege, I do consider rationing and Home Front. I sometimes wonder if we (despite our luxury lives) would have got on better these days, because we have tried to accommodate vegetarianism, and also moved on from demanding traditional meat and two veg...
DeleteAnd yes! Baked skins are the best...
I agree that if we were unexpectedly wafted back in time (like Lily Tripp in the recently-featured Amelia Tait book) we'd probably be a lot more flexible in terms of what a proper meal should look like and consist of, though we might have trouble convincing the "natives"! Especially as I suspect that a lot of the things that give zest and flavour to vegetarian dishes - mustard, spices, lemons, garlic, olive oil &c - would have been scarce or unobtainable; there were periods when even onions were like gold dust.
DeleteSovay
Even those of us with no talent for gardening would have had to learn to grow key items! Onions of course, but herbs and suchlike even more important than solid vegetables.
DeleteI read, and reread all of the Little House books as.a child and must admit that my favourites were These Happy Golden Years and Farmer Boy which weren't as bleak as some of the earlier ones. In These Happy Golden Years there is a fab description of the making of Laura's clothes which may be of interest.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteOh very nice! Golden Years sounds more promising than the Long Winter, in terms of joyous reading, quite apart from the promise of the clothes
DeleteLittle Town on the Prairie, which comes after The Long Winter, feels like a relief after all the grimness. More town social events, and the return of Laura's nemesis Nellie Oleson, wearing a lace jabot and polonaise (very fancy for school!)
DeleteOh that does sound fun, especially with clothes details
DeleteThere's a lot of clothing throughout the Little House series. One of the younger sisters gets a hood and cape made from swans wings, the older Laura (I think it's Little Town on the Prairie) describes how you needed to spin round in hoops to bring them back down because they crept up under your skirts, corset laces stretch out, etc. The bigger historical details in the books are deeply debatable and romanticised (Laura couldn't have witnessed the Trail of Tears in real life) but the little details about clothing and everyday life really do sound authentically lived experience.
DeleteI'd recommend On the Banks of Plum Creek for a future Christmas blog as it covers a prairie Christmas really vividly, including the Christmas barrel and gifts
DeleteThanks Daniel, swan's wings sound really creepy, but loving the details of the hoops and corset laces.
DeleteI will look up On the Banks.... exactly as you say, for a Christmas-y one
Creepy, creepy photographs, even though (as JanW says) so obviously fake.
ReplyDeleteI think I can resist both these books, though tempted by Yesteryear. I was passing Waterstones yesterday so called in and had a flick through the early pages - Natalie is in pioneer times and tells one of the old time women she needs to go to the restroom, and the old time woman understands that she means the outhouse/privy - was that term in use in 1855? Or is it a clue as to what's going on? I may have to find out ...
Sovay
Google AI has this info on "restroom" which doesn't sound as if it means a privy:
Delete"Literal Spaces for Repose (1850s): The Oxford English Dictionary notes the earliest uses of "rest room" in the 1850s referred to a lounge or quiet sitting space, completely separate from plumbing.
Upscale Public Integration (1880s–1900s): Large department stores, theaters, and hotels began building luxurious parlor rooms for patrons. These spaces featured chairs, sofas, and powder stations alongside attached washrooms.
The Shift to a Euphemism (1930s): As polite society avoided speaking directly about bodily functions, the name of the outer lounge ("restroom") shifted to describe the entire public toilet facility.
As I suspected! Not a usage that would make sense to a woman of 1855, yet it does ...
DeleteSovay
Obviously the 1855 gal was a woman ahead of her time....
DeleteInteresting information. And apart from that I'm saying nothing.
DeleteA little more information about swans down (Grace's coat was made from skin, not wings)- https://experimentsinelegance.blogspot.com/2011/12/what-is-swans-down-exactly.html. Apparently, Marlene Dietrich had a coat made of it as well! https://www.pinterest.com/pin/721913015306552360/
ReplyDeleteThank you, that makes more sense! Interestin webpage, and that Dietrich coat is incredible
Delete