On Beulah Height & Midnight Fugue
by Reginald Hill
I am working through Reginald Hill’s Dalziel and Pascoe
books,
- see
more on the project here
Dalziel
& Pascoe, an Overview: the Early Years
And click on the Reginald Hill tag to find other posts on
him.
I was waiting for On Beulah Height, which I remembered as being a
high point, with a complex and extraordinary plot, a particularly atmospheric
setting, and a sighting of Reservoir Noir, a genre name I like to think I
invented over the years.
Reservoir
Noir and Long Hot Summers
Dendale, a small Yorkshire village, was ‘drowned’ 15 years before
– all the residents moved out and then a valley filled with water to create a
reservoir. In its final days, young girls went missing and were never found.
Now, all these years later, another girl has gone missing:
and a long hot summer is emptying the reservoir. Will there be revelations when
the buildings re-emerge?
Hill has used a theme of Mahler’s Kindertotenlieder – songs
for dead children – throughout. One of the characters, a talented singer who
grew up in Dendale, has done her own colloquial translation of the songs – presumably
Hill did this – with local references.
I think maybe my willingness to read about missing children has reduced over the years: I could objectively admire the book for its atmosphere, its clues and its resolution, but the children in it (living and dead) were too upsetting, and I don’t think I will read it again.
I did have a few complaints on this one: I found the local
history and Nina and the Nix awful and unnecessary. There was a map at the
beginning that I found worse than useless – I was forever turning back to it
and not being able to match up and make sense of it – and this is a book where
geography is very important. There are St Michael’s and St Luke’s churches,
both with their roles to play. But at one point St George’s suddenly appears: I
suspect this was an editing mistake. (there are other Georges, and a Geordie,
as characters so perhaps it was changed for that reason, but two instances
remained.)
The final explanations were memorable and sad, but perhaps
too wrenching.
So my verdict is: Insanely
clever and brilliant, but horrible, with lost child content & strange add-ons.
But the writer cannot be faulted.
Hill was a polymath and wrote amazingly varied books – Pictures of Perfection was so light compared with this, while The Wood Beyond was so dark and sad. He was an amazingly talented writer.
The singer in the book, known
as Elizabeth Wulfstan some of the time, is not playing the game as a
conventional lieder singer, neither in appearance nor in how she presents
herself generally. So I chose a different kind of picture, because it happens
to show one of my favourite opera singers, Rosa Ponselle, singing at a piano in
1954.
After On Beulah Height came Arms and the Woman
1999 Very entertaining as it went along,
but degenerated into total thriller at end, which I did not enjoy.
Dialogues of the Dead 2001 A
serial killer book, clever and with unusual aspects which we cannot reveal…
…and then Death’s Jest Book 2002 is almost part 2 to
Dialogues, and is outrageous but a good read
Good Morning Midnight 2004 annoying, linking Iraq war & family,
too complex
The Death of Dalziel 2007 Interesting. An explosion fells Dalziel, and
he is in a coma in a hospital bed for most of the book – though still, of
course, a major presence. Elsewhere there are spooks & Iraq as well as Yorkshire, and so
many questions….
A Cure For All Diseases 2008
Hill was experimenting with form, so it has emails and tape transcripts and
honestly, I found it close to unreadable. Those sections were unedited and
badly laid out. But you know what - good for him, still trying new things. The
return of Franny Roote, that uncomfortable character. Also, the book was based
on the Jane Austen minor work Sanditon.
And then, wonderfully, came Midnight Fugue, 2009, which
turned out to be the last one – Hill died at the beginning of 2012. It is
marvellous, a complete return to form –
I think demonstrating that Cure for all Diseases really was an
experiment, not a decline.
Midnight Fugue is
incredibly clever and well-plotted. It takes place over less than 24 hours,
with setpieces in a fancy hotel (who could possibly have bugged Dalziel's table out on a terrace? Ahhh...), and in the home of a master-criminal. There is
a huge cast. There is police corruption, a husband who has been lost for seven
years but may be coming back, journalists on the trail. And a fear that Andy
Dalziel may have lost his edge – is he looking a bit deflated, somewhat tired?
But you must never underestimate him...
Late on, Dalziel wants to do something unorthodox and
possibly dangerous (what a surprise), breaking the rules. Pascoe objects of
course – might he be about to finally stand up to Dalziel and take his own
course?
But then:
Pascoe shook his head, like a
man waking from a dream, smiled wryly, even rather sadly, and said, ‘Oh, all
right then. But if you get me killed, I’m not going to be the one who tells
Ellie! Dennis, ring Sergeant Wield, tell him what’s going off and where, and
get that ARU moving quick!’
Another of the team is watching this interaction closely:
‘And then,’ as Seymour was
later to tell his enthralled audience, ‘they went running off down the corridor
like a couple of big kids on their way to a party!’
A wonderful image, and the way I will remember them.
And then: of all surprising things, the book reminded me of
Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall books – the first appeared the same
year as Midnight Fugue. I once attended a talk by her, and she said that
the key element of her story was something Thomas Cromwell says (in Bring Up
the Bodies) to a nobleman who has had a man killed:
You think this is only one man
and he doesn’t matter, but you see he does. You think a year or more has passed
and no one remembers, but I remember. You believe the law should be what you
would like it to be, and it is on that principle that you conduct yourself in
your holdings on the marches of Wales, where the king’s justice and the king’s
name are brought into contempt every day.
That, said Hilary Mantel, is the key to the whole trilogy,
and to the life and work of Cromwell: in the end justice must prevail. I’m not
sure this applies totally to Cromwell and the plot, that doesn't always stand up, but I like the principle,
and there is a similar idea underlying Midnight Fugue.
[Wolf Hall is all over the blog: in particular I wrote a
tribute to Hilary Mantel when she died: you can read it here:
Hilary Mantel RIP - tribute in i newspaper
]
Midnight Fugue is a tour de force, I was lost in admiration: the plotting, the placing of the characters at any given time, the rhythm of people racing round behind or in front of each other. An absolute masterpiece – what a way to go out.
File:Butterley
Reservoir - geograph.org.uk - 6997118.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
(slight disagreement online as to whether it is in Yorkshire or Derbyshire – it is on the border)





Recently read On Beulah Height and yes, sad and haunting. I respect him for that - he doesn't at all gloss over the horror of losing a child. I haven't read Midnight Fugue but must obviously do that asap. It wasn't the very last - that was The Woodcutter, but I remember that as being very good, so he was still working at the height of his powers right to the end. Chrissie
ReplyDeleteOh you should definitely read Midnight Fugue - I was lost in admiration for it.
DeleteI did specifically say I was only dealing with the D&P full-length books - no short stories, standalones or other series. And - we may have discussed this before? - I did NOT like The Woodcutter at all. In fact I have read quite a few of his non-D&P books, and I think it is true to say that I did not like any of them.
I know what you mean, Moira, about how sad On Beulah Height is. It's hard to read in that sense, despite the clever plotting, etc. I can completely understand why you don't want to read it again on that score. As you say, Hill was so gifted as a writer - it's amazing how he could create books with such a variety of different atmospheres.
ReplyDeleteYes - he was a major talent. And he will go on being read, I am sure.
DeleteI'm glad he ended on a high with Midnight Fugue. It helped that the bad or morally grey guys were three-dimensional. The Wolf Hall quote is definitely relevant, but for me the book raised wider moral questions about societal versus personal forgiveness.
ReplyDeleteI also appreciate, in retrospect, how far Hill played with suggesting that Dalziel's judgement was not as good as it used to be and that all the books had some first-rate scenes, set-pieces and characterisations which offset the occasional weaknesses.
I'd forgotten how angry he could be about then current events. Sometimes, as in PIctures or Perfection, it still adds to the enjoyment, but occasionally it gets a bit preachy. For me, the weakest bits of Good Morning Midnight were the more polemical bits and the reaction of one character to the Iraq war
However, I enjoyed the various family interactions and the Rashomon-style tapes showing the POVs of some of the characters to the same events. Being forced to ask yourself if one of your main characters was played by a suspect or had an insight into the truth and not knowing the answer is worked well for me on a reread.
A little Franny Roote goes a long way for me - Still, it was his last appearance before the Sandition book, which I found most exasperating 9as well as the child in danger aspect) The Sandition book
I agree with you about the end of Arms and the Woman (I had to check the title as I could have sworn it was Arms and the Women -which made more sense to me).On the other hand, the collection of women gave rise to some truly enjoyable scenes - I could well imagine Daphne Alderman appearing in one or more of Kipling's Plain Tales From the Hills.
"Ivor" Novello's insights and interactions with the "holy trinity" of Dalziel, Pascoe and Wield was a highlight of the later books. There were a couple of chapters where her inability to tell Pascoe why she admired him and his inability to tell her how she was sabotaging her career which showed the downside of not being able to have "full and frank" discussions.
The tribulations of "Hat" Bowler and the normalness of Seymour I also remember fondly. I also enjoyed discovering that Hector has a strong visual memory despite his other numerous weaknesses of comprehension.
Beulah is in many ways his masterpiece, but like you, I find it a hard reread. What does it say about us and the turn of the century that what we could take in our stride then is now unbearably sad? Perhaps one of the good things about re-reading is being forced to realise that not only is the past a foreign country, but our younger selves are foreigners - perhaps the changes are subtle, but asking what the child or teenage version of myself would make of me now is a challenging question best avoided.
I gather from what you say that the Joe Sixsmith books don't work for you - they are more comedy-based, but Singing the Sadness carries a punch for me. Perhaps I just ignored the fact that Joe was a person of colour with a bossy aunt and understanding girlfriend and substituted my own working-class, good-natured stereotypes.
On Reservoir Noir, there was a Peter Robinson book, "In a Dry Season", whose publication date makes it highly unlikely that either author was copying the idea, which deals with a past crime being discovered because a drowned village is resurrected. It was one of his better ones - I don't mean to damn with faint praise, as he was another good author, but perhaps one whose books read best as a snapshot of the past,
I was originally intending to compare and contrast Hill with more authors of the time, but throwing brickbats at the good or interesting for not being superb seemed tacky. (Mind you, I will still contend that Val McDermid's Lindsay Gordon and Kate Brannigan books are to her Tony Hill series).