Queens of the Typewriter: Secretaries in Books

 

SECRETARIES IN BOOKS





 

A passing mention of fictional secretaries set us off: readers and commenters came to join me in thinking about the role of secretaries in books. That original book was My Brother’s Killer by GM Devine.

Another push came from a new book by SJ Bennett – her series of detective stories featuring Queen Elizabeth II has taken a leap back in time to 1956. (I included the series in an article I did for the i newspaper about the best books about the Royals, around the time of the Queen’s death.) The new one, A Death in Diamonds (2024), features a junior secretary at Buckingham Palace, who moves up to the role of Assistant Private Secretary to the Queen, and explains the difference that capital S makes. The more contemporary books in the series feature a different APS who would never have been a typist… The books are highly recommended.

So who is the best fictional secretary?  One name (probably rather obscure for some people) was easily top of the list – so many people picked her out and wanted me to mention her:

1) Miss Corsa in Emma Lathen’s John Putnam Thatcher mysteries. Her every appearance a delight, Rose Theresa Corsa is the winner before we even start. The series features in these blogposts.

You have to read the books to get the full benefit of the characterisation – what in lesser hands might be stock characters and predictable jokes turns out differently in Lathen's work. The plots are always interesting, but it’s the buildup of the characters over the series that really does it (rather like Ellie Griffiths I would say).

[From now on, the secretaries in my list are not in order of popularity, just how they came to me and the readers]



2)   Miss Lemon, Hercule Poirot’s secretary, might seem the obvious choice from Agatha Christie, but I can’t honestly get very interested in her, and am going to go with Miss Blacklock from Murder is Announced: a great favourite title with me and many other deep-dyed Christie fans.

Miss B had a long fruitful career working for a businessman, a great man of finance – and has this description:

‘It was a big coup, and a very exciting one; daring, as all his schemes were; but he just hadn’t got that little bit of cash to tide him over. I came to the rescue. I had a little money of my own. I believed in Randall. I sold every penny I had out and gave it to him.

It did the trick. A week later he was an immensely wealthy man. After that, he treated me more or less as a junior partner. Oh! they were exciting days.’ She sighed. ‘I enjoyed it all thoroughly.’

It's a memorable passage, and surprising for two reasons, one being that you wouldn't think Agatha would have known so much about it. It is a feat of imagination for a woman who didn’t do that  kind of work at all.

3)   More votes came in for another rather niche choice: Sophie the Bishop’s secretary in Phil Rickman’s excellent Merrily Watkins series of  books. (it’s always surprising to me that I have only featured one of the books – All of a Winter’s Night, here – along with a brief mention of Midwinter of the Spirit in a post about Boy Bishops.) She is a formidable and impressive character and I very much agree with those readers who put her name forward.

4)   Blog friend Sovay said this: If/when you do post about Secretaries in Books, I'd like to nominate Phoebe Gunther in The Silent Speaker by Rex Stout, confidential secretary to the late Cheney Boone of the Bureau of Price Regulation, for her remarkable tenacity, audacity and imagination in support of her boss's aims. Even Nero Wolfe is impressed.

5)   A very nice one: Sovay also remembered the Temporary Typist at the New Square Chambers in The Sirens Sang of Murder – one of Sarah Caudwell’s wonderful and all-too-brief series of books involving legal shenanigans and a group of splendid young lawyers solving crimes. Lilian is described as a secretary later in the book. At the beginning we find out that she is ‘the specific legatee, under the Will of her deceased uncle, of a complete set of the works of the late Captain WE Johns’. Well! Biggles a great favourite round here. Lilian is not much of a character to be honest, but she does play her role in the case.

6)   Biggles lead us straight to James Bond – oh yes he does, see my thesis spelled out here. I still have not discovered the answer to the questions ‘Why does James Bond need a secretary? And what does she do all day?’ Consideration of this here. She dressed nicely and knows how to get semi-legal drugs sent round to the club. And expenses I suppose.

While we're on Bond's finances, Moonraker contains interesting details thereof, and I am going to shamelessly copy my comments here:

“If he comes into unexpected money, this is what he plans:

He thought for a moment and then wrote carefully on a memorandum pad headed ‘Top Secret’:
1. Rolls-Bentley Convertible, say £ 5000.
2. Three diamond clips at £ 250 each, £750.

Bless. It’s like my son’s Christmas list when he was 8.”



7)   JK Rowling – in the Cormoran Strike books, (written under the name Robert Gabraith) Robin first joins the private detective firm as a temp, ‘sent by the agency’, although she works her way up to a much bigger role in the firm. The series of books are very much set in real time, with dates given, and outside events from the real world being mentioned. But it is still my contention that the world JKR describes – particularly in the first book  The Cuckoo’s Calling – is not where it is claimed: it is as London might have been 25-30 years before, when JKR was a young person. Grimy small business with a flat above in Soho, going up the stairs to their office, using  your A-Z, temps from the agency – it all smacks of the late 70s/early 80s to me. (And I quite rudely suggest that JKR’s grasp on actual life for a 20-something in London in those later years is pretty slim – fair enough, how would she know?)



8)   Back in the day, there was a massive distinction between secretaries and typists, but for this post I wasn’t going to distinguish.

So will also mention the typists in Pym’s advertising agency in Murder Must Advertise, gossiping over their typewriters (‘Well I’m not one to talk as you know’ says Miss Rossiter) and the ladies of Miss Climpson’s agency, including the brave lady who takes a job in the solicitor’s office in Strong Poison. (both books by Dorothy L Sayers of course).

9)   And Annabelle and Midge, the New York stenographers in the Dorothy Parker story The Standard of Living, who spend their free afternoons on Fifth Avenue, imagining how they would spend the money should they suddenly come into some (James Bond could chat away with them). Parker describes them as ‘conspicuous and cheap and charming’ in their thin bright dresses. And haven’t we all had that moment of imagining what we’d do with a massive windfall, and then realising  it wouldn’t quite be enough (or is that just me and Dorothy P?)

 


 I will end with this btl exchange with blog reader Adrian Dominic - he puts it so well:

I'm not certain if this is another trope from the times, but the sense that the secretary was actually more organised than the people she worked for reminds me of my early working days in the mid 1980s when a lot of older women working as secretaries clearly were as talented as their (then) predominatly male bosses.

I answered: “those under-used women: as you say, when you start thinking about that (entirely correct) trope 'oh I couldn't manage without her, she runs my life' it leads you to think about wasted talent and lack of recognition.”

 So let’s give those secretaries the recognition they deserve. There must be many more of them: please add yours in the comments.

 An Australian office in 1929, from the Library of NSW.

Picture shows a group of 1960s secretaries, at Aalto university in Finland: 

Group of 3, National Library of Australia, 1940s.

 Young woman in her power suit - 1980s fashion magazine.

1960s colour picture from the San Diego Aviation Archives, a favourite resource of mine.

 

Comments

  1. How about the decorative secretary in Pocketful of Rye? Irene Grosvenor. Percy wants to sack her; Lance wants to keep her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch out for my post on the book in the next few days! The Inspector could tell she was respectable, because her address implied she still lived with her parents, in Muswell Hill. And she wore 'black-market nylons'....

      Delete
    2. Another Christie secretary was Ella Zielinsky in The Mirror Crack'd. Eventually a murder victim too.

      Delete
    3. I always felt there were too many characters (and murders) in that book so I don't feel bad about forgetting her!

      Delete
  2. One of the two protagonists in Ernest Bramah's What Might Have Been (1907) is Miss Lisle, a secretary, doughty foiler of plots and a defender of the office when it's stormed by a vengeful mob. https://www.handheldpress.co.uk/shop/fantasy-and-science-fiction/ernest-bramah-what-might-have-been/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely new one on me, sounds splendid! I will look it up.
      I first encountered Ernest Bramah when Lord Peter and Harriet mention him in Strong Poison, but that was the Kai Lung books.
      I've just looked him up - goodness he wrote a lot!

      Delete
  3. The secretaries in Micheal Gilbert's Small Deceased may not have much power but they have agency, wit and experience. They are keen observers of the world of work and men. Miss Cornel makes an excellent 'villainess' but could have been an equally successful detective. Not enough on clothes, though.

    One of the best books for secretarial dress is Rona Jaffe's The best of everything. I was introduced to this by the discussion on Clothes in Books and it is brilliant on dress, class and sex in 50s New York.




    ReplyDelete
  4. Apologies, I meant Smallbone Deceased.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apologies, I meant Smallbone Deceased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew what you meant! And yes, love Smallbone Deceased, great addition, the secretaries are enormously important. I love the clue of where you go shopping and when...
      And yes, The Best of Everything , a fabulous book, and another great look at the lives of young working women.

      Delete
  6. I love this post, Moira! There are so many great secretary characters in series, and you've hit on some of the ones I like best! I also like Miss Ruysdale, the secretary to Pierre Chambrun in Hugh Pentecost's series. These are just great characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent extra suggestion Margot - it's been a whlie since I read any of that series.
      And can we hope that you will be inspried to write a post on this topic too? - I'd love to see your list!

      Delete
  7. You've concentrated on female secretaries for very good reasons, Moira, but in GA crime fiction there are also quite a lot of male secretaries and Archie Goodwin springs to mind. He types, organises his boss's diary and so forth. At some point male secretaries stopped being called secretaries (too much associated with women, I guess) and became PAs or something else instead. On a completely different point, if JKR didn't know about much about life for a twenty-something in London, well, that is what research is for. Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I became aware of that as i was doing the list, and decided to stick with it for the moment. And of course you are SO right - particularly in early Brit GA, the male secretaries were terribly important: nicely-brought-up, public school educated, susceptible to French adventuresses, holders of the key to the drawer where the secret plans were.
      The wonderful Archie is of course the US version - quite different! Such a splendid character.
      Yes - the JKR problem is presumably that no-one edits her properly because she is so successful, no-one says 'do you think perhaps...?'

      Delete
    2. Just read Over My Dead Body in which Archie refers to his typewriter as the alphabet piano!

      Delete
    3. Male secretaries crop up in Georgette Heyer's historical romances - the aristocratic heroes of Frederica and The Convenient Marriage each have one, and there are probably more - they keep track of their employers' social engagements, deal with their correspondence (knowing which letters NOT to open is vital) and draft speeches they can't be bothered to deliver in the House of Lords. A good career move, apparently, for young men of relatively humble background who are interested in a career in politics.

      Delete
    4. That was Sovay btw

      Delete
    5. I hadn't remembered that at all! I think they turn up in similar guise in Trollope too. It was either a step on the ladder for the ambitious young chap, or a way of trying to give an idle fellow something to do

      Delete
    6. Sir Magnus Donners in "A Dance to the Music of Time" has one of each - Bill Truscott the ambitious young man with political leanings (not sure how humble his origins are, though) and Charles Stringham who is clearly there to provide personal charm and social connections and is not expected to do any actual work.
      Sovay

      Delete
    7. Another significant male secretary has just come to mind - Lupine Wonse, in Terry Pratchett's "Guards, Guards!" - secretary to the Patrician of Ankh-Morpork, which is not a job to take on lightly. Also a job in which it's probably best NOT to have political ambitions.
      Sovay

      Delete
    8. Oh that Powell catch sums it up beautifully.
      And I was not expecting to find a secretary in Terry Pratchett - I particularly like the City Watch books and Sam Rimes, so must remind myself (ie reread).

      Delete
    9. The Watch are my favourites, closely followed by Death. Lupine Wonse doesn't last long - replaced by Rufus Drumknott who seems to be much more satisfactory.

      I meant to comment earlier on Archie Goodwin more than once highlighting one of the major issues involved in secretarial work – namely the recurring battle for dominance on the telephone when communicating with another office. How do you get the other secretary to put their boss on the line BEFORE you put your boss on the line? Last boss on the line wins - Archie mocks the idea but he still plays.
      Sovay

      Delete
    10. That - the struggle for phone dominance - was such a feature of life wasn't it? - both real life and the fictional life of offices. Does it not exist any more?

      Delete
    11. These days it's probably about who joins the Teams meeting last!
      Sovay

      Delete
  8. A trope-within-a-trope is the indispensable secretary who is in love with her boss (but may keep it secret for various reasons). Possibly--or possibly not--in this category is Miss Della Street. She may not know more than the boss, but she can hold her own with him. Her name is almost synonymous with "secretary" to some folks. She has more character in the books than she did in the TV show, in case you think she's a little dull!@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read many Perry Mason books, but can see I will have to - everyone seems to love Della Street!

      Delete
  9. I remember from the Rickman books that Sophie considers that she works for the Cathedral, not necessarily the Bishop! The two sometimes have different interests...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting distinction isn't it? Next time I read one I will have an awareness...

      Delete
    2. If you do get to read them, try reading them in order! Things change throughout the series (not just the bishops either).

      Delete
    3. Oh I have read them, and in order, as they came out! I love those books.

      Delete
  10. I'm not a hardboiled fan, but didn't Sam Spade have a faithful secretary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct! I have to admit that I had to look it up to discover her name: Effie Perrine.

      Delete
  11. The idea of someone using an A-Z in a modern book reminds me of a conversation I had with a young person in the office of the agency I work for. They were trying to send me somewhere new; I was asking for the address and they wanted to text me the postcode, assuming I would put it in my satnav. I don't have a satnav, I explained, I need the actual street name and then I can find it in my A-Z. What's that? he asked, sounding very blank. Is that an app or something? Feeling very elderly indeed, I had to explain that it was a type of street map, printed in a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems strange to young people, and I guess will be close to forgotten soon. But I think it still has its uses: I love the big map at the beginning with numbered squares - it enables you to connect up places, visualize that somewhere is West of where you are. You can get the bigger picture, very much missing with Google Maps.
      There are A-Zs of other cities too. one series had a little square of sample map from inside, on the cover. We were terribly excited once to find our street was on there!

      Delete
  12. Lillian at 62 New Square is indeed a bit part (though significant to the plot) but she stands out by being a) conscientious and b) reasonably competent - unlike their usual run of Temporary Typists who are inclined to assume that missing out a few paragraphs from a legal document is no big deal!

    My copy of Dorothy Parker's short stories seems to have gone AWOL but I remember Annabelle and Midge - beautiful and glowing with health and vitality despite wearing cheap clothes and living entirely on junk food.
    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parker plainly had a clear view of herself as not being at all like those young women she wrote about - but she till managed to write about the so well and clearly. Many of her characters have lived in my head for many many years. It was a real talent she had. If I ever go window-shopping on a posh shopping street I always think of them!
      (And of the girl they tried out, who said 'I would hire someone to kill Mrs Gary Cooper', so that was the end of her)

      Delete
  13. There's a notable secretary in Margery Allingham's "The Beckoning Lady" - Miss Pinkerton aka Pinky (I did wonder whether this was a little echo of Miss Blacklock aka Blackie on Margery Allingham's part - her book was published five years after "A Murder is Announced"). Pinky is efficient to a fault ...
    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you mentioned her before and I meant to look her up to include her, but didn't get round to it. I love Beckoning Lady, it is one of my favourite Allinghams.

      Delete
  14. I look forward to reading some of these secretaries. I have just remembered Sylvia,a magazine secretary in Pamela Branch's entertaining book 'Murders Little Sister (1958)
    Like most fictional secretaries, she is competent. But she is also taciturn and her non-verbal communication is very clear. ' She waggled her hips angrily and left...'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've read a dfferent book by Branch so have missed her so far. She sounds a good addition to the list

      Delete
  15. I feel as if I could come up with a lot of important secretaries but at the moment one that comes to mind are Bel Lamington by D.E. Stevenson. She organizes the office (import/export but alas not a front for something more exciting) well but there is hostility from the other secretaries and from one of the partners so she gets unfairly fired. She is lonely in London but creates a rooftop garden to cheer herself up. Another is an Elizabeth Cadell called The Cuckoo in Spring in which the male protagonist (arrogant but redeemable, which I suppose is the best kind) is searching for the female protagonist throughout Britain, only to find she is his father's secretary but completely overlooked by him.

    You know how much I love Mary Burchell. A lot of her heroines are secretaries and there is often jealousy, especially with the handsome boss starts paying attention to her.

    The word secretary was used at my law firms (where one secretary was shared by three lawyers, and the most senior lawyer got most of her time) but hardly anywhere else. Now we say "Admin" or "Assistant" and I notice that my British friends sometimes say, "I work in an office," when they mean they do this type of work. At first I said, "Don't we all?" but then I gathered they meant in a support staff sort of role.

    Constance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Bel Lamington, so just looked it up: it sounds charming. The amazon reviews mostly say 'It is good because there is no sex and violence in it', which is fair enough.
      I have downloaded it, and the Cadell to my Kindle!
      Yes, Mary Burchell, and she and her sister were both secretary/typists weren't they? Though Mary moved on.
      yes, people rarely describe themselves as secretaries now. but then computers changed everything didnt they?
      I have downloaded both the books you mention to my Kinde.

      Delete
  16. I'm glad you got to Miss Climpson's agency! I was thinking of Miss Murchison (the brave one) all through this post. I believe that we learn in a later book that she married well and happily. I like to imagine the man who would properly appreciate Miss Murchison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, and that is a lovely thought.
      the description of her actitivities in the solicitors' office is wonderful, and very tense. And there was considerable jeopardy!

      Delete
    2. Miss Murchison is a jewel. I love the job description from Wimsey, directing Miss Climpson to send suitable applicants: "Yes, pick out the steadiest-looking, not too much face-powder, and see that their skirts are the regulation four inches below the knee--the head-clerk's in charge, and the last girl left to be married, so he's feeling anti-sex-appeal." Later: "A woman typist, with a strong, ugly, rather masculine face, looked up from her machine as the door closed, and nodded abruptly to Lord Peter. Wimsey recognized her as one of the
      Cattery,' and put a commendatory mental note against Miss Climpson's name for quick and efficient organisation." Miss Murchison is a level-headed woman with nerves of steel and is the real hero of the novel.

      Delete
    3. Oh lovely, thanks for finding those quotes for us. She does so well - I think we'd all agree that we wish she'd featured in other books.

      Delete
  17. Not to coax you to buy more books but I thought of two more memorable secretaries. Another D.E. Stevenson, Anna and Her Daughters, is a variation on the lose-all-your-money-and-reinvent-yourselves theme. The youngest daughter gets a job as part-time secretary for an eccentric novelist (30 shillings/week) and when she has a few days off (!) writes her own novel (which changes her life).

    There was a Swedish series about a group of teens who solved mysteries that I was very fond of by Karin Anckarsvärd. My library had quite a few of her books and at least two had been published in paperback. In The Mysterious Schoolmaster, her most popular, a boy and girl (who later marry) are suspicious of a teacher who eventually turns out to be a spy. The school secretary finds him attractive so dismisses their concerns and possibly even betrays them to him. But what her memorable to me was that her nickname was Secretary Bird, although at 10 I knew nothing about birds and didn't know it was a real bird. When I came across a mention/picture not long ago, it instantly brought back this book. Other than Pippi Longstocking and The Wonderful Adventures of Nils, I don't remember any other Swedish books.

    Have you read The Walking Stick by Winston Graham? I think the heroine was an art appraiser not a secretary but her job and the self-worth it provides her is integral to the plot. It is worth adding to your TBR. It is one of his best although of course he is better known for Poldark.

    I do like Miss Climpson! And I read one Phil Rickman book - I don't remember it well so am not sure why I didn't continue. I suppose I should try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you read far and wide!
      I think I read that Winston Graham book not long after it was published - I read quite a few of his non-Poldarks - but I don't remember much about it. Could be time for a reread.

      Delete
  18. Miss Murchison and Miss Climpson are fabulous. Another male secretary is P.G.Wodehouse's the Efficient Baxter, who I seem to remember is rather annoying.
    I'm reading Max Pemberton's 'Trust me, I'm a Junior Doctor' in which he's full of praise for the medical secretaries, one of whom protects him from messages on his bleeper by saying that he's in a meeting so unavailable; she also gives him tea and cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an array of male secretary types in books, isn't there? The very efficient cold one (Man in the Brown Suit) and the ditzy one and the nepobaby one...
      In all the offices I worked in, it was obvious that the admin (whatever they were called) could make the most enormous difference, either for bad or good

      Delete
    2. The Efficient Baxter is annoying, but he doesn't quite deserve all the terrible things that happen to him at Blandings (eg shot in seat of pants with airgun; widely assumed to be insane due to events beyond his control; and the inevitable pig-related shenanigans). You'd think he'd be glad to escape to a more congenial job with a more conventional employer, but he keeps coming back. Presumably getting Lord Emsworth properly organised has become a challenge he can't let go of.
      Sovay

      Delete
    3. Oh he sounds a delight. I haven't read a Blandings book for ages...

      Delete
  19. Most of Emma Lathen's books refer to the slightly terrifying efficiency of Miss Corsa but she does have her softer side - JP Thatcher is surprised to find her getting a bit misty-eyed over a handsome young general in "Accounting for Murder".
    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I love about her is that she is well-rounded!

      Delete
    2. I remembered someone addressing Miss Corsa as 'Rosie', to JPT's astonishment, and was looking for the reference last night - couldn't find it but I see you spotted it in "Ashes to Ashes". For some reason I was sure it was Walter Bowman.

      There are other fine secretaries in Emma Lathen - I'm particularly fond of Mary Sullivan in "Accounting for Murder", who is probably doing more to keep National Accounting afloat than any of the infighting executives.
      Sovay

      Delete
    3. Yes, it's those moments in Lathen that really make the books. He is left speechless isn't he?
      I can see I'm going to have to reread Accounting for Murder along with those others (just from this one post)

      Delete
  20. The best and worst name for a secretary is probably Lollipop, from the Carter Dickson books. But sadly I am not sure she appears on-screen, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be Sir Henry Merivale then - I suppose he would call his secretary that. Rather like James Bond books - what does she do all day?

      Delete
    2. Well, as he is head of Military Intelligence I am sure there is some typing that thas to be done, and important people who must be told that Sir Henry is too busy dealing with a baffling criminal case to deal with the latest reports on German war preparations.

      Delete
    3. That gives me a lovely picture of her! I wonder does he chase her round the filing cabinets in a pre-#MeToo way?

      Delete
    4. Well, its a Carr book, so while Sir Henry might not be doing it, I am sure his male agents would be from time to time.

      Delete
    5. Yes indeed. And not unwelcome usually....

      Delete
  21. Anthony Gilbert's Riddle of a Lady has a secretary who goes to great lengths to help her boss. Incidentally, Crook has an indispensable male "receptionist" named Bill Parsons who is a former thief and helps Crook with detective work. Along the lines of Archie Goodwin but less entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think I've read that one, I'll add it to the list.
      And yes, Bill Parson (he's an ex-con?) is a great character.

      Delete
    2. I don't remember if Bill was ever in prison. In the books it says that an injury brought his promising criminal career to an end.

      Delete
    3. Have I libelled the poor man 😊?

      Delete
  22. I was going to mention Jane Hamish in Delano Ames' "She Shall Have Murder" but then remembered that she's a clerk, not a secretary, though she does fill a secretarial role from time to time - answering the office phone, for example. But the firm does have a typist, Sarah, who is on a lower rung of the ladder in the office hierarchy in the eyes of Rosemary the head clerk, who keeps pointedly referring to 'Miss Hamish' when speaking to Sarah about Jane. Sarah ignores this and continues to call her Jane.
    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have such a good memory and such a good eye for these things! this is another case where I have read the book, and indeed blogged on it, but it hadn't come to my mind.Though I notice from my blogpost that I was aware of the social differences....

      Delete

Post a Comment