The Hound of Death by Agatha Christie

 

The Hound of Death by Agatha Christie

published 1933

 



My recent posting on Agatha Christie has been quite critical (Postern and Ordeal by boredom Innocence) so I am moving back to something quite different: early in her career, a collection of short stories, and a great favourite of mine.

I recently wrote about her Mysterious Mr Quin stories: Hound of Death was another collection that I loved as a teenager, also with a spooky supernatural feel. And, as with the other book, I reckon it stands up well: I enjoyed it very much. The stories are not connected to each other, and contain none of her regular characters.

The standout will of course always be Witness for the Prosecution – made into a famous film, and still being performed on the London stage today. It deserves its reputation as a clever, taut courtroom thriller, and probably is Christie’s best short story.

It is very unlike the other stories in this collection, though – other than sharing a grim and quite unnerving atmosphere. Witness has no supernatural strand to it at all – the other stories do, even though in some cases it is just a smokescreen, with a rational explanation for what is going on.

The title story is a weird SF kind of tale: best title and weakest content in my view. At the other end, The Last Séance frightened me into fits as a young person, it had the genuine frisson, and led to my lifelong fascination with seances in books (not in real life).

I always was made very uneasy by The Fourth Man (I can never resist a story told by a stranger in a railway carriage… ), with its tale of hypnosis and transmigrating souls. I still shudder to think. That plain title hides the story of Annette and Felicie and Raoul, and it is absolutely awesome in a horrible kind of way.


(The picture of the man on the train is by the great James Tissot)


Christie was good at keeping you guessing. The stories are full of manly ex-army types, and foolish young men, beautiful young women, golf, a gypsy, and a very scarey cat. But she has good recipes for mixing up the tropes: some outcomes will be predictable and some not.



The Hound of Death has a very strange publication history – it was first produced as a book which was only available by collecting tokens from a magazine. It wasn’t made generally available till 1936. What a fate, throwing away Witness for the Prosecution like that! Worth looking up on Wikipedia.

 The National Science Museum (of all places) has a few properly spooky séance pictures, my goto in these cases. The top pic is one of them, very much the Last Seance.

Second séance picture  – surely the story Wireless to the life (?death) -  from the National library of Australia 

Comments

  1. As big a Christie fan as I am, Moira (and you know I am!), I have to agree with you about both Postern... and Ordeal.... There are things in them that work, but overall...not so much. This collection, though, is, in my opinion, excellent. I don't think Christie always gets the recognition she should for being able to really unsettle the reader. She did some great atmosphere in this collection, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know how much I agree with you Margot! When people say Christie did 'pure puzzles' or her character were like game pieces - well, I want them to read these stories...

      Delete
  2. When it comes to séances in books my absolute favourite must always be the one with Miss Climpson in "Strong Poison" though. Not spooky at all of course, but memorable for all sorts of reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, one of my absolute favourites. And full of useful info on how to fake! Plus just a very entertaining, funny scene, but with important plotlines. Textbook!

      Delete
  3. "The Fourth Man" was one of the episodes in "The Agatha Christie Hour" television show from the 1980's. It starred none other than Tom Barnaby/John Nettles as Raoul. I didn't think the production was very spooky, but definitely a weird story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! That's fascinating. Can't quite see him in that role. I will see if I can find it...

      Delete
  4. Yes that seance story utterly terrifying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is - still makes me shiver to think of it...

      Delete
  5. Do you know, Moira, I thought I had read everything by Agatha, but I realise that I haven't read most of these! I have ordered a second-hand copy with the excellent Tom Adams cover, but I think I might not read the seance story while I am alone in the house! Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, save it for a train journey! I'm impressed by anything that can still give me the frisson at my age, and I expect you are the same.

      Delete

Post a Comment