Hat Paint, Agatha Christie, and the Lockridges

Death of an Angel by Richard and Frances Lockridge

published 1955

 

Murder is Easy by Agatha Christie

published 1939

 


Coincidences ahoy.

After Christmas, the BBC showed a new adaptation of Agatha Christie’s Murder is Easy. Without my even trying, several thousand people apparently looked up my blogpost on the book, a post from 2015.

So I feel everyone should be given the opportunity to see it again!




It is here:

Murder is Easy by Agatha Christie (clothesinbooks.blogspot.com)

A large part of my post looks at the role of hat paint in this book and its apparent absence in most other circumstances. I jovially have suggested from time to time that as a murder method, it occurs only in Christie. The whole question featured in my talk at the Agatha Christie Festival in Torquay in September

And then – happy chance – my Golden Age Secret Santa sent me a book called Death of an Angel by Richard & Frances Lockridge. And to my great surprise, someone is murdered via oxalic acid, aka hat paint.

All this has aroused some responses from a few expert friends. The question seems to lie with the difference between hat cleaning and hat painting. Oxalic acid is extremely toxic, and can be used for cleaning, specifically bleaching, hats. It is often used with straw hats. This does sound like a different matter from re-painting it, but the same substance is clearly given both names by Christie.

In the Lockridge book, the oxalic acid is added to tomato juice along with Tabasco, offered as a hangover cure. (In the Christie it is supposed to have been mistaken for cough linctus.) One character comes under suspicion because he wears an old-fashioned straw hat which could be cleaned…

The Lockridges and their sleuths Jerry and Pamela North  are stalwarts of the US Golden Age detection scene, with 26 novels written from 1940 onwards, and versions on film, stage, radio and TV. I think this is the first of their books I have read, which is surprising, don’t know how I missed them.

I enjoyed the book, as I do almost any crime novel set in that era in Manhattan – and this one has a theatrical setting, even better. All the main characters are involved in a very successful Broadway production – writer, producer, investor, stars. The leading lady, a key element of the show’s success, announces her engagement to a very wealthy man, and says she will retire from the stage. Consternation all round. How far will someone go to make sure this doesn’t happen?



There are theatrical parties, and a lot of lounging around smoking and drinking, and eating out in fancy places such as the Algonquin Hotel. Jerry and Pamela are a married couple, and always on the verge of being extremely annoying. Pamela’s shtick is to make vague strange-sounding pronouncements which turn out to be more sensible than they at first appear. I suspect this could get old very quickly, but in small doses is OK. There’s a lot about cat allergy (I suffer myself so was sympathetic), and male/female differences, and some quite sharp observations about life and relationships.

I am still puzzling over the ‘very small house’ in Manhattan with a living-room that is 40 foot by 20 foot.

The writing style is arch and self-conscious – eg several pages of three people at the cinema each hating the film but assuming the others are liking it, completely irrelevant and unnecessary.

In terms of detection, several characters were not sufficiently defined, and the clues were somewhat vague. But I’ve read a lot worse. The atmosphere of raffish theatrical types colliding with the very rich was nicely done. I  would certainly chance my arm with another book in the series.

There’s a Helen McCloy mystery, He Never Came Back, where a young man invites a woman to dinner with these words: ‘I know a cosy place at Madison and 34th where Martinis are really dry and steaks just warm in the middle.’

My reaction in my blogpost was ‘As long as I have breath in my body, a sentence like that will make me long to be in New York (though probably I want to be there in the 1950s, hard to organize).’ 

This book had a similar effect on me…



The star actress wears a white dinner dress that clings. Others wear expensive black dresses and housecoats. Not much description, but an awareness of the importance of clothes. “How interested women always were in material, and in what they called ‘detail’…. He thought this black dress had been chosen with care, and without regard for cost.”

If anyone has any recommendations for another book in this series I would love to hear them in the comments.

Comments

  1. I've read a few by them but never one that really grabbed me by the throat, as it were. But they had a strong fan following, so I've been meaning someday to go at it more rigorously.

    Guess it's a good thing for morbidity that people stopped wearing hats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a strange, specific murder method. And as someone else has found (online discussion) it becomes strangely circular when you start to look it up. Agatha Christie is frequently quoted in any mentions, and you can see the same definitions copied and pasted...
      I would be fairly neutral about the Lockridges, except I do really like that setting.

      Delete
  2. Ah, yes, hat paint! That plays a role in Christie's Cards on the Table, too, Moira; thanks for reminding me of that. It's so interesting how integral hats used to be to one's wardrobe. And of course, hat paint was necessary because of that. You're inspiring me to think about hats and the roles they play (because they show up in a lot of crime fiction)... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a short story by Gissing in which a man's hat is blown off his head from the top deck of a tram. To avoid the ensuing shame of going hatless he embezzles money for a new one and ends up in gaol.
      Saki's Cyprian - despite the name - was made of stronger stuff.

      Delete
    2. Margot: I will be looking out for a blogpost on hats in crime fiction - great idea and I am always proud wen you kindly credit me as an inspiration...
      And thanks for the reminder - it had slipped my mind that hat paint turns up in Cards on the Table as well.

      Delete
    3. Roger: that sounds like a properly robust plotline, & a fair contrast with Cyprian.
      There's an excellent Sylvia Townsend Warner story also, Some Effects of a Hat https://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2020/04/some-effects-of-hat-by-sylvia-townsend.html

      An anthology of hat-themed stories would be a joyous thing wouldn't it? Once I started searching on my blog for hat entries I kept getting diverted into great books and stories.

      Delete
    4. Also, adverts for men's hats of the mid-20th are endessly fascinating, as I discovered when blogging on the story I just mentioned. The line drawings are an artistic sub-genre.

      Delete
    5. I can't remember the title, unfortunately, but I read a book on the decline of the male American hat. The US hatters' association were outraged by the first president not to wear a top hat to his inauguration -Eisenhower? Kennedy? - surprisingly recent.
      I lived in the tropics in my youth and got into the habit of wearing a panama hat and when I came back to England added cloth caps in the winter and was regarded as mildly eccentric for both, even in the summer of 1976.
      I think I may have mentioned straw-hat day here before. Proof that de Tocqueville was right when he argued one bad effect of US democracy was enforced conformity. People were obliged to wear straw hats after a certain date - varying from town to town - and obliged not to on another date. Whether or not a straw hat was suited to the weather didn't matter. Wear the wrong hat at the wrong time and it was destroyed.

      Delete
    6. I think I read about (or an article on) that book - didn't it make the excellent point that if you look at old photos of sports crowds the really noticeable thing is that everyone wears a hat? I always see that now.
      Yes, it is an oddity of US life - gangs of young men grabbing straw hats and putting their fists through them. And rules about shoes: 'no white shoes after Labor Day'.
      I wouldn't say clothes rules were enforced when I lived there (Seattle very relaxed) but there was much more uniformity that you would find in the UK.

      Delete
  3. I remember being very annoyed by Pam too! The Lockridges also wrote some other series without Mr and Mrs North. Wikipedia has a list of the books in the series. I had heard of the Lt Heimrich series, but not the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very productive weren't they? I don't know how I've missed reading them so far.

      Delete
  4. Mysteries set in Manhattan and written during the 40s and 50s do have an ineffable charm of their own (unless they were written by Mickey Spillane and his ilk). Open Library has a handful of the Mr & Mrs North/Lt Heimrich books, including "Death of an Angel."
    https://openlibrary.org/authors/OL577477A/Richard_Lockridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks as ever for the link. 'An ineffable charm of their own' is a brilliant description of the genre...

      Delete
    2. The OL copy of the book contains this blurb from Emma Lathen: "Like Conan Doyle's London, the Lockridges' New York has a lasting magic. There are taxis waiting at every corner, special little French restaurants, and perfect martinis. Even murder sparkles with big-city sophistication. For everyone who remembers New York in the Forties and for everyone who wishes he did."

      Delete
    3. Oh exactly, that's perfect! You could rely on the Emma Lathen pair to understand the charm....

      Delete
  5. Some of Elizabeth Daly's mysteries are set in NYC around the time of WW2. Not the same ambience as the Lockridge books, but interesting to me at least. I didn't know that auto driving for pleasure was curtailed during the war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big Daly fan, although I'm not sure Henry Gamadge would feel at home in the North's New York. On the other hand, Jerry North *is* a publisher...

      Delete
    2. Marty: I have really enjoyed all the Daly books I have read, but still have a few left to enjoy. There's nothing like reading a contemperaneous book for getting true details of an era...

      Delete
    3. Shay: I really like Henry Gamadge, and I think he would fit in anywhere, though as an outside observer perhaps. You feel his line in ancient books might be different from Jerry North's world.

      Delete

Post a Comment