Again: I Capture the Castle

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

 

published 1949

 


I’m always thinking I have a top 10 favourite novels and I’m never entirely sure what they are, and certainly not much idea of order, but for sure this one is top 5. As I always say, it’s a book that grew up with me, or I grew up with it. I first read it when I was about 14, and probably every five years since. I still remember the shock when I realized I was now older than Topaz, the girls’ stepmother. (she is 29 FYI, still surprising).

I have already blogged frequently on the book. I am particularly pleased, still, with the early Mother’s Day entry when I recognized the great work done by stepmothers – Topaz plays down her beauty, effaces herself, to try to help her ungrateful step Rose. I still love this version of her best dress (which she at first discards in favour of something more conventional). The description of the book is this:

When they came down, Topaz was as white as usual and her silvery hair, which was at its very cleanest, was hanging down her back. She had her best dress on which is Grecian in shape, like a clinging grey cloud, with a great grey scarf which she had draped round her head and shoulders. She looked most beautiful – and just how I imagine the Angel of Death...



And this is a theatrical costume from the Denishawn theatrecompany. I’d been blogging for less than two months at this stage, and I think this was the point where I realized that I could give it a go, that I really was able to find surprising pictures to match my favourite books…

There is also Cassandra dressed up for midsummer

Midsummer - alone and summoning up her future (clothesinbooks.blogspot.com)




This comes from the State Library of New South Wales (weirdly, the picture shows PL Travers who in some ways was similar to D Smith)

And then there are the ‘fake’ entries – twice for April Fool’s day I wrote about the books-within-the-books: Jacob Wrestling and Enigmatism by James Mortmain. Always very proud of those two entries.

Those nearest and dearest to me always know what an important book this is to me. Someone once made me a Kindle cover from a cover for ICTC, there is the embroidery, and this Christmas – a new and very spiffy copy of the book. (you can never have too many copies) So obv I had to read it again, and then watch the film (which could never match up , but is still pretty good) and cry at the end at those last words. It’s a book of footnotes and margins. ‘Just room to write I love you I love you I love you.’

Clothes are of the utmost importance in the book, which may be why I loved it even though that is not where the major emphasis has come in my blogposts, apart from Topaz’s dress. The girls have no nice clothes, and they are miserable when they go up to London in their white suits and see how different women look there. Like Fanny in Nancy Mitford’s Pursuit of Love, they want to be a woman dressed in black with crinkled suede gloves.



Cassandra likes her green linen dress. Rose ends up needing slacks and shorts. There are the fur coats they inherit from Aunt Millicent.

But the book is about creating art, and about love, and the pain of love. It seems simple and romantic, and the plot would sound that if relayed, but it is neither of those things. It has an incredibly full and careful plot: my favourite thing, she has done all the work so that it seems flowing and simple. And the relation of the La-Ronde-like love circle is superb: honest and moving.

There was a recent trope about how often men think about the Roman Empire. I think this book is my Roman Empire – probably a couple of times a week I think of something from it. The Midsummer Eve where Cassandra ends up alone in the castle. The feel of being alone in a quiet summer day. ‘Your sister will be wearing that drink as a hat.’ Long prayers are like nagging. ‘I didn’t want Neil to call me Great Aunt Cassandra… and I certainly would have fainted with despair if Thomas had refused the ham.’

As I’ve got older I’ve become less forgiving of the father in the book, James Mortmain: his utter lack of responsibility for the family is appalling. They are close to starving and he just comes in and asks for a biscuit. I think when I was very young I thought fictional fathers were like that – but he is awful. He is like Mr Bennet in Pride & Prejudice, my other Bad Father of literature.

To me this is one of the great books of the twentieth century, and I will go on re-reading it every few years.

The top picture is Three Women Reading by Priscilla Thornycroft - I like to think, Rose and Cassandra (green dress) waiting for life to begin, Topaz finding meaning in War and Peace. (As I have said before, the artist is well worth looking up.) 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. One of the great things about a book like this is that it has layers, Moira. You can think about/write about/explore the clothes, the stepmother aspect, the family relations, the.... To me, that's part of what makes a book unforgettable. I think that list of unforgettable books is different for each of us, but all of us readers have that sort of list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to read other people's lists, so if you are ever inspired to decide on your own top 10 I'd be ready to enjoy!

      Delete
  2. I have read it only once a few years ago, and though I enjoyed it, I don't think I started at the right age. So interesting how one's views change - totally in agreement about Mr Bennett. And, yes, let's hear it for the stepmothers, I am one myself. Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I very much think you need to read it for the first time when you are Cassandra - and then you can enjoy it for the rest of your life.

      Delete
  3. Wouldn't Anne Elliot's father qualify as a Bad Father (to Anne, at least)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the Tilden's father too. It sort of makes you wonder about Papa Austen, the way JA came up with Bad Fathers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .... you make a valuable point. He may have been feckless in a clerical kind of way, he certainly doesnt seem to have thought about his children's future enough. (Very much Mr Bennet)

      Delete
  5. You already know I don't like this book as well as you do, but I read it when I was 74 and that is not an ideal age to read it for the first time. I am sure I would have liked it much better when I was younger, and not noticed how bad the father was. He was my chief problem with the book. The love story is the kind I like and Topaz is a wonderful stepmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I say in answer to Chrissie above, you do need to be young first time I think. And you made good points in your review! Do you think you will watch the film ever?

      Delete
    2. I probably will watch the film eventually. I could watch Bill Nighy in anything, and there are some other actors in that I have enjoyed. It is always interesting to see how a book is handled on film.

      Delete
    3. Yes to all, and especially Bill Nighy! I just had a long discussion of his career with my brother, we were tracing his works: they vary, but he is always watchable.
      I once saw him at a Bob Dylan concert, we were all milling around on the way out, and there he was. I was trying not to gawp...

      Delete
  6. I meant to write Tilneys not Tildens, had a senior moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post! And what a lovely book. It really it was one of those litmus tests for like-minded readers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon! And yes, I don't think I could ever dislike anyone who shared my love for it.

      Delete
    2. I've been thinking more about the fathers in Austen novels. There is Mr Woodhouse, too, maybe not bad exactly, but hardly satisfactory. Are there any good ones, I wonder? Chrissie

      Delete
    3. I'm mulling over doing something on bad parents, do remind me of any others, Austen or otherwise! I once wrote an article (20 years ago) on Bad Mothers in the Movies, and it was tremendous fun and went proper viral (even though 'viral' wasn't a thing then)

      Delete
  8. I like this book but think I would have liked it more if I'd read it as a teen (I suppose it wasn't in my library): I was sort of annoyed that Cassandra didn't end up with Simon and I was worried she would wind up with Stephen. There was a series a few years ago that seemed very derivative but still good, A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper. I gave it to my niece recently for a long plane trip and she really enjoyed so I guess 15 or 16 is the right age.

    I am always fascinated by silvery hair. We know Topaz is barely older than her stepdaughter, so her hair isn't gray. Silvery hair is easy to imagine but hard to envision in real life! I wanted a silvery gray for my hallway but got a boring beige somehow.

    I know you are a Godden fan; have you read China Court? I am reading it for the first time (reading at the gym was not ideal because she floats from various timeframes with no warning or explanation) but there are some good clothes descriptions. There is a beautiful new edition.

    I'll have to think about bad parents. The father in A Company of Swans is dreadful as is Charlotte Fairlie's father (Ibbotson and Stevenson). The father in A String in the Harp is extremely neglectful yet is grieving for his wife: still, not acceptable! The father in the book I just finished, The Women by Kristin Hannah, cannot accept that his daughter has chosen to to nurse in Vietnam, although he praised her brother to going (it is the #1 book on this week's NYT list). He is ashamed of her decision, never writes to her the entire time she is there, and when she comes back she learns he told people she was studying in Florence. Of course, Uncle Russell is a terrible father to Will and Mark (even though Mark is spoiled). Eleanor and Park is a lovely YA novel which contrasts awful parents (Eleanor's mother who lets her boyfriend abuse Eleanor - the whole book is terrifying as I expected the abuse to start being sexual) and Park's kind parents.

    Constance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked my records, and I haven't read China Court in the past 20 years, and possibly never, so time to give it a go.
      That's quite the collection of bad parents, thank you! It may be that it is too much of downer of a subject: when you start thinking about it there are so many in fiction...
      I wasn't familiar with the Stevenson book you mention but it looks unmissable!
      I don't know The string in the Harp either.

      You are making my TBR list very long!

      Delete
  9. It turns out there is a bad father in China Court, also a bad brother or two; in fact, lots of annoying characters, although I still enjoyed the book. Charlotte Fairlie is a wonderful book despite the bad father (who plays a tiny part, due to his badness). I don't think it is necessarily too downer a subject, especially if some of them are funny or outwitted by their wife/daughters. I haven't read Sense & Sensibility lately but isn't he a bad father for not drafting a will that protected his wife and daughters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have launched into Charlotte Fairlie!
      I think sometimes the things that shock us most are to do with changing attitudes, so it may outrage us but we can't really see them as villains. The assumption, for example, that it was 'much better' for children not to see a parent ever again after a divorce.
      Being vague with money and wills is comparatively clear.

      Delete

Post a Comment