Christmas Scenes: cards, and Isaac Asimov

Christmas Book Scenes are back!  During December I like to post entries which are more Christmas in Books than Clothes in Books, and kind readers say it puts them in a seasonal mood.

If you have a favourite Christmas book or scene not featured yet – please let me know


Season’s Greetings by Isaac Asimov

short story from the collection More Tales of the Black Widowers, published 1976 - this story, unlike most in the collection, had not been published in a magazine previously




[A manufacturer of greetings cards talks about his wife’s collection of them]

“… She grew interested in [cards], she began to collect interesting ones, and then her friends began to collect them and send them to her. Over the last ten or twelve years the thing has been getting more and more elaborate. Christmastime especially, of course, since that is greeting-card time par excellence…. It’s Christmastime that counts, She practically papers the walls with cards and the apartment becomes a kind of fairyland…

In fact gentlemen, if you’re really interested in seeing samples of unusual greeting cards, you’re invited to my apartment. We have open house the week before Christmas. All the people who send cards come round to see where and how theirs contribute…. I keep telling her we’ll have to get the apartment declared a national landmark.”


comments: The Black Widowers Club is a group of NY chaps (none of them, so far as we know, actual widowers) who meet regularly to have dinner in a restaurant private room together. One of them is designated host, and usually someone brings a guest. It has become a tradition that the guest brings a puzzle or a mystery for the Widowers to consider, and so whatever it is, is discussed in detail before finally a solution is reached. There is a smooth and efficient waiter, Henry, and the other tradition is that at the end of the discussion, when the diners are at a loss, he says “May I ask a question…?” and then proceeds to cast light on the situation and work out a solution.

In this story, there is a particular card that is not interesting at all, and everyone is truly mystified – “A practical joke. It wasn’t you Roger, was it?” – “Me? Think I’m crazy? I sent her one with little jingle bells in it. Real ones… You really have to knock yourself out for her.”

If you can accept that this isn’t just a misstep by someone, that there must be a reason, then off goes the investigation to its strange conclusion.

The stories are charming and artless, funny and nicely-told. I like them for that reason (there are six collections) and Asimov gives the impression of being a very nice man. However there is a less worthy reason why I like them: they make me feel clever. When I first started reading them, I guessed the answer to the first one. Then the second, then the third. This doesn’t lessen my enjoyment, I’m #justsaying. Not every single one – about two-thirds - but I’m impressed when they fool me.

[Though on occasion have remembered Raymond Chandler on Agatha Christie’s Murder on the Orient Express - mentioned in my recent blogpost:

‘This is the type [of solution] that is guaranteed to knock the keenest mind for a loop. Only a halfwit could guess it.’ Though that always seems a good getout for lack of imagination…]

Asimov is primarily known as a writer of Science Fiction, not a genre I follow at all, but he was plainly a polymath, a kind, self-deprecating man with an interest in everything and always able to turn a fresh gaze on the world.

After each story he writes a paragraph explaining when and where it was first published (if at all - as with this one he likes to have a few new stories in each collection) and often how, where and why he came to write the story.

I have quoted before Edmund Crispin on the crime short story:

‘A short story can aim either at atmosphere or at an anecdote’ – that’s Edmund Crispin, introducing his own book of short stories, Beware of the Trains. He goes on to explain that he likes his stories to embody the ‘increasingly neglected principle of fair play to the reader – which is to say that the reader is given all the clues needed to enable him to anticipate the solution by the exercise of his logic and his common sense.’ I said then it was an interesting and useful distinction, and second, a good description of fair play. The Asimov stories are absolute exemplars of the anecdote style – and he often says that he came up with an idea, a quirk, a twist, and then wrote the story to fit.

The stories are, of course, of their time, and it is interesting to see, for example, the attitudes to smoking – Asimov hates it but feels in the minority. And there are occasional infelicities: - I missed a few words out from the quotation above:.

'the apartment becomes a kind of fairyland, if I may use the term without being misunderstood’

and that is typical of something that you would suggest was an attempt to be jokey, not an element of homophobia.

There are dozens of these stories, and they make a lovely easy read. Each story is very short so it is tempting to read one more... and I am working my way through them all. 

Pictures from bloggers who I hope won’t mind.

Comments

  1. Christine Harding7 December 2023 at 10:26

    How interesting - I had no idea Asimov wrote anything other than science fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same until recently - and have very much enjoyed these stories. I'm not generally a reader of scifi, but would consider reading more by him.

      Delete
  2. I really must read this, Moira. I can't say I've read a lot of Asimov, but I've read some of his short stories and one or two other things. This looks like a different sort of writing for him. I've got to tell my husband, too - he's an Asimov fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh great to hear that about your husband! Ask him if he has any more recommendations for someone approaching Asimov from a mystery rather than a scifi background....

      Delete
  3. Now I have to get a copy of this second book, and I still haven't read all the stories in the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such an easy enjoyable read - and there are so many of them! I've also looked at some of the Union Club Mysteries...

      Delete
  4. Asimov also wrote a SF/Mystery series (The Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, The Robots of Dawn) that feature a human detective with a robot partner. Really enjoyed them when I read them back in the '80s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bev, that's good to know - answering the question I just asked Margot (and her husband) above! I will try them.

      Delete
    2. He also wrote A Whiff of Death--about a chemistry grad student dies in the laboratory.

      Delete
    3. Thanks! Am making notes of these, much appreciated. You are a mine of information...

      Delete
  5. I've got one of these collections and could happily read more. Reading them is a bit like dipping into a box of chocolates - hard to stop at one. Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes exatly, so short, they slip down easily, and definitely have the 'just one more' factor.

      Delete
  6. You describe Asimov as 'a kind, self-deprecating man with an interest in everything'. Well, apparently he had too much of an interest in women. He couldn't keep his hands to himself. There are stories of sexual harassment coming out in the science-fiction community. That was of course also of its time, but still unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I'm Clare.

      Delete
    2. Oh I'm sorry to hear that: we never want to be disappointed in people we like the sound of. There was so much of it, and people obviously thought much of it was OK at the time, but that is no excuse. Sigh, thanks for telling me, it is better to know.

      Delete
    3. In spite of this big drawback, he was a good writer of short stories. I once found a collection of these detective stories, and I enjoyed them. Many people consider his story 'Nightfall' (1941) the best science fiction short story ever. And it's certainly very good.
      Clare

      Delete
    4. Thanks - always happy to find out more. And now I will have to read that short story, even if SF isn't my main interest!

      Delete

Post a Comment