Barbara Cartland has become a blog obsession over recent
weeks. We have had Matthew Sweet’s marvellous biography:
Barbara
Cartland: Give Pink a Chance
Which then brought out Daniel Milford Cottam’s incredible
pictures of her clothes:
Barbara,
the clothes, and a guest on the blog
… and now we’re moving on to Barbara Cartland’s literary
oeuvre.
The books. Well. I had read some of her autobiographies
(she wrote a few…) which are very enjoyable for the detail and the picture of
life.
She wrote contemporary romances, and also historical
fiction, often set in the Regency period. She wrote hundreds and
hundreds of them: Matthew Sweet says she maintained “her literary output with
the zeal of a tractor factory during Stalin’s first Five Year Plan.”
She used to say sometimes in interviews that for every
historical book she wrote, she read 10 books for research. This raises two
questions:
1) Do we
believe that she read ten for one?
2) How
many of those research books were by Georgette Heyer?
It seems unarguable that there was a lot of ‘borrowing’
politely or plagiarism (less politely) going on. Heyer’s books are famously
full of her Regency slang and incomprehensible descriptions of this and that,
and they certainly turn up in Cartland’s books in a blatant way. And such of
the Regency books that I’ve dipped into show every sign of being a mish-mash of
Heyer plots. There is a very egregious example in Cartland’s The Knave of
Hearts, which leans heavily on Heyer’s These Old Shades. Sweet
demonstrates all this very clearly, drawing on biographies of Heyer – the
earlier book by Jane Aiken Hodge did not name Cartland, it just said ‘another
novelist’ was involved. A later biography, I believe, was explicit.
Apparently Heyer said “I think I could have borne it better
had Miss Cartland not been so common-minded, so salacious and so illiterate.” A
solicitor’s letter was sent: no response received, but the copying apparently
stopped. Heyer, who abhorred publicity and her fans, was not prepared to go to
court.
I am a huge fan of These Old Shades. Heyer said “I
think ill enough of Shades…” but I think most of her fans would disagree. But
the one thing I always hated was Leonie offering herself as mistress to her
beloved
‘Monseigneur, I never thought that you would marry me’ she said simply ‘But – if you wanted me – I thought perhaps you would – take me – until I wearied you.’
This was a level of self-abasement too far for me (when I
was 13 and now): it is a real shame that it is reproduced in The Knave of
Hearts in exactly the same manner.
“I have never, in my most secret dreams imagined that you might marry me – but I have thought that perhaps until you wearied of me, I might come to you and be your woman. If you would love me and make me yours, even for a short while, I would be happy for the rest of my life.”
The two books are not identical – there is no dressing up
as a boy, one of the joys of Shades. But you would be absolutely certain that
Cartland had read Shades.
The story rattles along with almost too much plot
“Grandmama, I have lost Ravella.”
The old lady sat up straight
in her chair. “Lost her?” she queried. “Has she been kidnapped again?”
Well might she ask. There are highwaymen and gypsies and
bad-tempered singers and unwise unchaperoned visits to all kinds of places –
not all of it lifted from Heyer. Ravella is a restless character who never does
what she is told and is immensely irritating, quite apart from the awfulness of
calling the Duke ‘Guardie’ (short for Guardian). At least Leonie calls her Duke
‘Monseigneur’.
(Though because of this book I always specially enjoyed in the Wolf Hall books how
everyone excoriates Anne Boleyn’s father for wanting to have that title).
The local village has the unfortunate name of Mildew, and
the agent is called Gristle – do you think he is going to be a goody or a
baddy?
Something they have in common with Patricia Wentworth’s
Miss Silver books is that the heroines have names that might be described as
unusual: Dacia, Ravella Dorinda Alida Atalanta Larisa, Canuela. (Our fashion expert Daniel Milford Cottam has a line in inventing names for Cartland, but it is difficult to tell his made-up ones from real ones.)
Ther is another example of plot borrowing, which featured
on the blog ages ago, and was actually pointed out by Matthew Sweet. First of all you need to know about Florence
Barclay’s The Rosary: completely forgotten now, but a massive bestseller in the
early 1900s. Luckily we have a blogpost:
The
Tosh Report: The Rosary by Florence L Barclay
So familiarize yourself with the basic plot, then take a
look at this second post:
Which features the back cover of one of Barbara’s books:
Quite unabashed.
I looked at a couple of the contemporary books as
well. I was absolutely startled by one
of them: Sweet Punishment, 1931. A young woman Diana is shown as
thoughtless and rather selfish. A man
called Ian comes to tell her that his friend Jack died in Africa with her name
on his lips: Tell Diana I love her.
Diana scarcely remembers Jack and speaks callously of him,
to the horror of Ian. These two attractive creatures now each decide to teach
the other a lesson. So Ian abducts Diana, carries her off to his castle on a
private Scottish island, and keeps her there against her will. And then he
rapes her. Yes, you read that correctly. Repeatedly, night after night. ‘She
cried out but there was no-one to hear her, and, helpless, he carried her
triumphantly into the shadows of the great bed.’
(It seems the least of the problems with this book, but ‘helpless’ is in the wrong place there)
There is a lot more tosh-related plotting, but as it turns
out, they each now love the other. He feels bad about what happened. She loves
him anyway.
This was not what I was expecting – and to be fair, they
are not all like this. But what about all that virginity Cartland was forever
promoting? It seemed rather like an 18th century novel – all is
forgiven because of marriage and respectability. But it still managed to shock
me.
It’s really not a nice book.
My verdict in general is this: that she was better at contemporary life than at the Regency ones and other historicals. She pinched from Georgette Heyer like crazy. As Matthew Sweet points out, the books became simpler as time went on – output increased dramatically in later years, and she kept them much simpler, no subplots or extraneous details. Her production rate was much more normal in the 1930s, 40s, 50s. On the cover above, a 1950 reprint, she has only had 30 bestsellers… It was the 1970s when she really started the mass production.
The earlier books, those in the 1930s say, had more
interesting details of life – reflecting her own of course, she wasn’t exactly
being George Orwell at Wigan Pier. But they are a nice record of what was going
on then. I have said that Matthew Sweet’s biography is a great history of the
20th Century – and that's true also of Barbara Cartland’s novels.





Mildew? Gristle? Could Barbara Cartland meant Knave as a parody of Heyer's work? Or just cynical. BC seemed knowing and touch in cheek about her own writing and more interested in pushing sales of Royal Jelly as the secret of her youthfulness in the couple of interviews I remember. JanW
ReplyDeleteTongue in cheek, doh.
ReplyDeleteI think that's a very generous way of looking at it! Having just read both, I don't think for a moment it was meant as a parody: it was flat-out copying. She certainly bustled around with lots of interests, but I think she took her writing seriously.
DeleteI'm stumped by the second These Old Shades cover. Who is the red-haired bloke?
ReplyDeleteClare
It's AI slop.
DeleteThere's a PhD thesis to be written about Heyer covers down the years.... rather similar to our discussion of how ballerinas and actresses look at different stages
DeleteWhen my friend Pam and I finished all of Heyer in 7th or 8th grade, we picked up a bunch of Cartland at the library and were shocked by her lifting of plots and her incredible output. I don't think we knew anything about her except the photo on the back but we joked that she was kept prisoner in her own home and only allowed food if she produced a hundred pages per day. We decided to write a book too (the notebook is in the attic, I believe) but elipses were not allowed! Our English teacher noticed the books (being passed back and forth from the public library) and, too clever to forbid them, brought us to the school library where she and the librarian made us a list of authors to try instead.
ReplyDeleteIn fact, it was that librarian, Sister Sessions, who recommended Murder in a Nunnery. She had met the author's sister, who was also an RSCJ nun and worked at the school he had used for inspiration. When my sister started working at my old school, I wondered if "my" copy was still there and could be extracted but they had weeded all the books I liked (I suppose not surprising in 40+ years).
I think the title Sweet Punishment alone would suggest some nasty goings-on, and it would definitely keep me from trying the book! Regarding BC's mass production of books, Jane Haddam wrote a series of mysteries featuring a romance author turned detective. In one book there's a gathering of romance authors, and one of them sounds a lot like BC.
ReplyDelete