The Great Dictator by Matthew Sweet
published 2026
Writing about the Royals
for the I newspaper recently, I picked up Matthew
Sweet’s new biography of Barbara Cartland, marvellously titled The
Great Dictator. I am a big fan of Matthew Sweet’s writing (click on the tag to find more from him), and although I
was initially looking for the Dame’s connections with the royals - she was
Princess Diana’s stepgrandmother, and a good friend of Lord Mountbatten - the
book was hugely enjoyable all the way through.
She was an extraordinary character, who lived an
extraordinary life, and the book does her full justice. She is famous for her
romance novels, her huge rate of production, her fondness for pink, her health
claims, her psychic interests, her opinions on everything and willingness to be
endlessly interviewed by people who weren’t taking her seriously. She dictated
her books to a secretary, while lying on a chaise longue, swathed in pink.
She nicely spanned the 20th century – 1901-2000,
and while everything you have heard about her is true, there was more to her
than seems at first glance, and by the end of the book I was full of admiration
and warm feelings for her. She was not wholly reliable in reporting her own life,
Sweet takes apart some of her fabrications – she was forever changing, for
example, the number of men who had proposed to her, and making wild claims for
things he had invented and done first and introduced.
But still – what a woman. She had endless interests, she
knew everyone she was apparently tireless. She had some mad views (eugenics,
space aliens), and some very Right wing views, but she also had a warmth, a
kind heart, and a belief in doing what was right. I was astonished to read how
she took the cause of some local gypsies to heart, and worked hard – and
successfully - over a long period of time to get them a place to camp and a
chance for education for children.
One of the men who proposed to her was in Young and
Innocent, an early Hitchcock film we have covered
here on the blog… Another is described thus by her: “Pilot in
the Meopham Air Disaster which is still suspected of being caused by creatures
from outer space”. She even – talking of Royals – was almost kissed by Ernest
Simpson before he married Wallis who later became Duchess of Windsor.
Her own family life was peculiar, and not much resembling
those of her heroines. She was very close with her mother Polly, and
exceptionally so with her brother Ronald, who was gay and died in WW2. She
married twice, and had three children. Sweet says this
Perhaps it would be best to
think of the relationship between Barbara and her daughter as a finishing
school in which the classes went on for ever and the work was never done, and
neither pupil nor teacher could escape from Switzerland.
--this was Raine, who married Diana Spencer’s divorced
father Johnnie, to the disdain of his children.
The number of books Barbara Cartland produced is truly startling, even
if she hadn’t had whole other lives in voluntary work, local government,
welfare work, agony aunt. The woman never stopped.
Sweet, always good with a phrase, says this:
Her successors in the field –
talented professionals who write passionate stories that sometimes involve
lovers in buccaneer boots or whalebone corsets – have become accustomed to
people asking if they work from bed with a lapdog and a box of violet creams.
They know that Barbara represents romantic fiction as Dracula represents
vampires, and that she has proved equally impossible to kill.
She wrote more than 700 books – the exact number is hard to
pin down – and did sell a lot of them: financial details equally hard to pin
down.
It is a great regret for me that I never interviewed her in
my young days as a journalist – too busy talking to important politicians and
others in public life, long forgotten and no-one is writing books about them
now. Interviews with Cartland turned up in magazines and newspapers on a very
regular basis, all much the same but all enjoyable. As Sweet describes:
Journalists came to Camfield
to see a fabulous beast in her natural habitat. A day with Barbara, however,
was more like being a mouse in a Skinner box than David Attenborough on the
trail of the Komodo dragon. By 1970, she had perfected the process – the
compendious briefing document, tied in pink ribbon and sent out in advance,
detailing Barbara’s greatest achievements; the chauffeur despatched in the
white Rolls-Royce (registration bc 29) to St Albans or Hatfield station; the
audience itself, during which the visitor, if sufficiently skilful, would get a
word in edgeways; the afternoon tea with the Pekingese beneath the table,
poised to receive a choux bun; the parting present of a bundle of paperbacks
and a gold-painted acorn from the Elizabethan oak.
Oh but Matthew Sweet is the man for the brilliant detail:
She confessed that she no
longer threw up her arms and declared “Look at me!” when people asked her about
the benefits of vitamins, because on her most recent trip to India she had done
this and fallen down the steps of the Taj Mahal.
He says he was allowed unprecedented access to her files
and archives and correspondence in her own home: which had been virtually
untouched since her death. He says sadly that no-one writing a biography is
ever likely to have records and letters, notebook and manuscripts in quite that
way again.
But still the credit goes to him for writing such an
entertaining, clear-eyed and fair-minded biography. It is a joy to read.
Her books, and the thorny question of comparisons with
Georgette Heyer, will need another entry…




I have to confess that I've never read anything by Barbara Cartland (I'm not a big reader of romance novels), so I wouldn't instinctively have picked this up, but I love the quotes you included! Now I am tempted to give this a go despite the fact that I'm not very familiar with the subject. Sweet can certainly turn a phrase.
ReplyDeleteI have had a soft spot for her since I read The Glamour Boys, by a gay Labour MP, whose name I can't recall off hand, about the gay MPs who among other things opposed appeasement in the !930s. She was a devoted sister to Ronald and supported him financially with her writing. I am a fan of Matthew Sweet, too. Think I will put this on my Christmas list. My children might be rather surprised ... Chrissie
ReplyDeleteI read a shedload of Barbara Cartland in my early teens – the village library had dozens of BC paperbacks, as did the book exchange market stall in the local town. I don’t remember anything much about them, except the covers (invariably depicting the teenage heroine with flouncy dress and enormous eyes) and the fact that said teenage heroines all had very fancy names – Florinda and Gardenia and Viridia and so on.
ReplyDeleteWhat a shame that you missed out on the interview, the afternoon tea and the goody bag! It sounds like quite an experience. Adding the book to the library list – she was clearly far more interesting than I gave her credit for, though I’m not sure that almost being kissed, or even actually being kissed, by Ernest Simpson is anything to write home about.
Sovay