The Concubine by Norah Lofts
published 1963
Following on from this post earlier in the week:
Anne
Boleyn's Imaginary Stepmother (low class and scandalous)
- This is the book that set me off in pursuit of Anne Boleyn’s lost stepmother.
I read it because of a post I did on childhood reading, and
whether children should read whatever they like.
Childhood reading and intellectual freedom
Here is part of a
comment by blogfriend CLM/Constance:
A nun, who was the librarian
at my school when I was 12, was pleased to hear I liked historical fiction and
found me The Concubine by Norah Lofts. I
liked this very much but was afraid concubine was a bad word so hid it
successfully at home (I guess it didn't occur to me that a nun was unlikely to
give me something I'd be forbidden to read).
Several of us were intrigued by all of this: a nun giving out a book with that title? would our mothers have approved?- and in my case, why had I never heard of this one? I loved historical novels, and read shedloads of them, but perhaps my school library did not like the title either. It was quite a daring choice by Lofts, I’m going to say, and it could have had many other titles.
It is a fictionalized version of Anne Boleyn’s story from
the age of 16 to her death (Spoiler!) in 1536. Boleyn was the second wife of
Henry VIII.
Norah Lofts was a seasoned and prolific writer, and has
actually appeared on the blog before,
The
Importance of Christmas Presents
- With a
crime story, a different name and gender, and the story of my uncovering all
this to make sense of the book. She obviously sets me off into investigative mode.
I ordered it immediately, and The Concubine was an
interesting and easy read. She uses different POVs throughout: Anne, the King,
members of her family. She gives Anne a servant who becomes devoted to her, and
we see some of the story through her eyes: this was one of the tropes I
disliked most in traditional historical novels, but it is not quite so annoying
here.
My claim is that Phliippa Gregory changed the whole
style of historical fiction, particularly with The Other Boleyn Girl, so
relevant here. No more twinkly-eyed devoted servants, and no loss, and a more
realistic view of people’s motives and sexuality. (there are other writers who
still continue with the old ways I’m sorry to say).
Immersed as many of us are in the The Other Boleyn Girl,
or the Wolf Hall trilogy, or both (that would be me) it is easy to
forget how lacking in facts we are about Anne Boleyn, and how any version of
her life is full of speculation – and Norah Lofts is just as entitled to go for
it as anyone else. For example, I say above that she follows Anne from the age
of 16, but nobody knows for certain when she was born, her age is always a
guess. We don’t even know for sure where she came in the family – older or
younger than brother George and sister Mary? (Mary’s children said she, Mary, was
the older, but as this was stated in order to claim a title, I think we can
view their views with care)
It’s such a compelling and strange story, it would be hard
to fail with a novel, and Lofts I think does very well, though it is a book of
it’s time. Henry and Anne speak as if they are undergoing 1960s couples
counselling. ‘Their whole relationship was wrong, and was she much to blame?’
Lofts imagines herself into Henry’s head, giving him a
disappointing first sexual experience with Anne, and she has Catherine of
Aragon worrying about her own role in what happened. Mary Boleyn is an
interesting figure – very different from Gregory’s version, but very much her
own character, well-drawn and memorable, trying to understand Henry and warn
Anne, while at the same time sometimes being annoying. George scarcely appears.
Lofts does assign thoughts and feelings to her characters –
and fair enough in a novel. Late on we have this about Henry:
Deep inside the bulky body
with its ulcerating leg, inside the mind hard-shelled with egoism and corrupted
by power, the young Henry Tudor, gay and just and high-hearted stirred once,
perhaps for the last time.
‘I never wanted this,’ he
said.
At the head of each chapter there is a quotation from
contemporaneous sources, or from biographies of the main players.
The exception is chapter 33, where the epigraph is:
I do not say that this is how
it happened; I only say that this is how it could have happened,
Your Author
In this chapter she outlines how she thinks Anne B may have
got pregnant the final time: that last desperate throw – if she had managed to
bring a boy to full-term, history would surely have been very different. There
have been various theories about it: this one is strange and fanciful, but – we
don’t know. Could be true.
Lofts take a lot of her tale, and many of the chapter headings, from Agnes Strickland’s The Lives of the Queens of England (as explained in the previous entry), including of course the stepmother – who is actually a great character and adds to the story as fiction. She also includes the malformation of the little finger of Anne’s left hand from Strickland. Modern historians seem not so sure about this. And then at the end of both books there is a strange fate for Anne’s body, which was buried in the chapel of St Peter ad Vincula at the Tower of London. Lofts and Strickland say there is a strong local history suggests it was secretly moved to Norfolk. It certainly rounds off the story in an intriguing way.
If a person is writing fiction then they can give their own
version, they are not tied to facts and they don’t have to prove anything. I
think this book stands up well, I found it an easy and compelling read. Well
done CLM’s nun…
The style of the two paintings seemed in keeping with the
style of the book.
By Daniel Maclise - Sotheby's, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=24563100
By William Powell Frith - bridgeman.co.uk, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=9084813


I always find Anne Boleyn especially fascinating, Moira, and I think it's possibly because we know so few actual incontrovertible facts about her and her life. So there's a lot of room for speculation. Little wonder her story gets people so curious, and it does make for quality fiction when it's done well...
ReplyDelete