Reviewing for the i newspaper: Richard Osman and still no word of complaint

 We Solve Murders by Richard Osman

published 2024





I reviewed this book for the i newspaper, as I have the previous two (and I looked at the first two on the blog as a civilian, as you might say. The Richard Osman tag below would take you to all of them).  

They may stop asking me - surely it's time for someone to start criticizing the books, would that make for better entertainment value? But it won't be me - I love the books, think they are very well-written and good-hearted. I can get as narky as the next person over celebrities getting their crime/children's books published on the back of their fame - when so many great writers can't get a deal, or earn very little. They certainly don't get the fame and interviews that the celebrities get, the chances to push their books. It IS a topic I feel strongly about, but I cannot include Richard Osman in that category, I think he's a very good writer indeed.

You can read the review here on the i paper website:


We Solve Murders by Richard Osman review: His skills are miraculous (inews.co.uk)


There is a limit to how many articles you can access on the newspaper's website each month, but you may be able to read it in this photo:



Comments

  1. Lovely review, Moira. And you know, I give credit where it's due. Osman tells a good story, and that's what matters. Perhaps he was first noticed because of his TV presenter fame. But he really does what it says on the tin and more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - he is an exception, there was bound to be one somewhere!

      Delete
  2. I am eager to read this and as I had never heard of him until someone recommended the first book, it is hard to consider him a celebrity. I do hope The Thursday Murder Club movie justifies its outstanding cast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give him a go, he is worth a try, and very entertaining.
      I just hope they don't make the movie too twee and quirky British...

      Delete
  3. I keep hearing this business about Osman the Celebrity, who decided he could write. Well. Here in Canada, we can just say, Oh, that wonderful writer who apparently is known for something-or-other in Britain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read this one but his first books were all fantastic. I have always loved him in his various TV jobs, he is smart, funny, nice ... But he is definitely also a great author, not surprisingly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment