Small-Town Ireland & its Gardens & Crime

Common or Garden Crime by Sheila Pim

 published 1946

 

 


“To the seeing eye, a common dandelion is as beautiful as a chrysanthemum.”

“Somehow,” said Lucy Bex, “I don’t think you can be a gardener.”

 

It’s worse: the first speaker is an artist who paints pictures of gardens. The local posh family are relieved to hear she is not badly off, so there is no obligation to commission her – they have bought enough pictures from indigent connections. They ‘may have been dimly aware that there were other reasons for buying pictures, but they did not take them seriously’.

‘Give a good mulch’ says one of the ladies – straight out the (contemporary) Aisling books, where an upmarket lady pronounces ‘mulch’ in such an unusual way that Aisling and her mother have fits laughing. 

I have zero interest in gardening, but this book quite overcame my prejudice. It is a good solid crime story, but also very funny in a gentle way, Sheila Pim caustically observing the residents of a small Irish town outside Dublin, Clonmeen. Common or Garden Crime bears comparison with Angela Thirkell, and the Henrietta books and even –

There is a moment when the incomers to the Big House make a remark (about moving to the village to save money) which outrages the locals:

the Clonmeen people assimilated the idea that Annalee Hall appeared to its new inhabitants in the light of a country cottage.

 

- This is not something I throw around lightly: but that could have come from the pen of The Provincial Lady.

Everyone goes to church on Sunday, of course, and these characters are mostly (but not all) Protestants.




When the churchgoers came out of the Beechfield back avenue on to the gravel sweep, they found Wendy talking to Lord Barna. The young man and girl, both so good-looking, made a charming picture, at any rate by magazine cover standards.

Though, astonishingly, the eligible young Lord Barna turns out to be fascinated by ballet – not something you’d be finding much in this era in Ireland among the young men.

I am seriously pleased with this picture, which shows US ballet dancer Ted Shawn (from NYPL). Surely could easily be Lord Berna doing his dance which was “based on an old street ballad. All about a man who is on his way to be hanged.”



Excellent clothes detail: one of the local women, giving evidence at an inquest, has a disheveled look because of her hat. “It was a wastepaper basket hat, trimmed with raffia, and should have been worn straight, if at all.”

It turns out this was actually a thing, not just a dismissive way of referring to a hat someone (prob a man) didn’t like. On the left here is a modern day version. The other is from around 1960, so they were fashionable for a while. However this one is most certainly not straight  up and down…


 


There is a Hunt Ball, and while it is not described, we do get a couple who literally come home with the milk – they have missed the last bus but get a dawn ride with a dairy farmer. (This is seen as fair play for gossip, but not disgraceful, btw.)

There is a tennis party, and discussion of coupons and the black market. Oh and yes of course there is a murder, and quite an interesting and  complex plot to unravel. But mostly I enjoyed this for its splendid depiction of small-town life.

Top picture by Henry Irvine WilsonTea Party with the Artists Daughter Lois

The good-looking couple from the National Library of Ireland.

The book (and the hat drawing) from Chrissie, again. Thank you.

 

Comments

  1. I've read this one, A Brush with Death and A Hive of Suspects - I think the one I enjoyed the most was the latter, as I felt the plotting, pacing and characters/setting, worked together better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good - something to look forward to! I was definitely inspired to read all her crime stories, pity there's not more. I have just found your reviews! I think I am keener on the books than others are because they fit in with my non-crime reading so well - small towns, wartime and post-war settings....

      Delete
  2. Thought this would be right up your street, Moira. I'm glad I was right! Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The books sounds entertaining, but will have to wait until a copy becomes available this side of the Atlantic.

    I was sure I'd encountered a waste-paper-basket hat somewhere and the reference finally rose to the surface - E.F. Benson's "Paying Guests" - one of the lead characters, wiling away half an hour before lunch at her guest house '... sat down at the piano after removing her hat (shaped like an inverted waste-paper basket and trimmed with three sorts of grapes, pink, blue and orange)'. Earlier than the Irish example though (1929).
    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your memory never fails to amaze me!
      I hope you can get hold of a copy, of this or one of the others, I think you would enjoy.

      Delete
    2. Three ofbPim's books, including this one, on line at the Open Library. https://openlibrary.org/authors/OL1132229A/Sheila_Pim

      Delete
    3. Oh well done as ever - I have still to read the Hive of Suspects one...

      Delete
    4. Shay - thanks for the suggestion - very tempting but unfortunately reading on screen does terrible things to my right eye so I have to stick to hard copy as far as possible.
      Sovay

      Delete
    5. Memory is not quite as good as it sounds - I was convinced that the hat in question was in Benson's "Secret Lives" and that I knew who wore it and on what occasion, but no. At least I got the author right.

      A point of hat etiquette - Miss Howard, wearer of the hat, lives all year round at the guest house so it is essentially her home - however when called in to lunch she puts the hat back on and must be wearing it throughout the meal. I'm trying to get straight in my head why that would be - would the guest house dining room count as a public place?
      Sovay

      Delete
    6. I think it might, I can actually sort of imagine it, or at least imagine a person who would think that way!
      Hat etiquette is always fascinating of course. And ladies did leave their hat on for lunch. I take your point it was her home, but I can see it might be step too far to go bare-headed!

      Delete
  4. I had to rush right over to OpenLibrary and read this one, and it didn't disappoint. I was definitely hooked when it said Lucy liked Austen and Trollope! And it was funny that the folks in Ireland called WW2 "the Emergency" (which of course it was). They apparently felt some of the privations even if they were neutral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The Emergency" was the official Irish term for WWII. Censorship was stricter than in Britain. It's said that The Irish Times had to say that someone had died in a boating accident when his ship was sunk.
      This was a period when wealthy British people bought up Irish "big houses" to avoid Labour's income tax, so much so, that the Irish government introduced their own tax measures to discourage them.
      Do we get any details of the "old street ballad. All about a man who is on his way to be hanged"? There were a lot of them, but the pinnacle is probably "The Night Before Larry was Stretched".

      Delete
    2. Marty - so glad you enjoyed it! There were certainly big knock-on effects in the Republic, though not on the scale of the UK. My own family (in Liverpool) used to get parcels of food from the family in Ireland - who did have a farm so were able to be lavish.

      Delete
    3. Roger - there are quite a few references in Pim's books to the position of Irish young men - in some circles there was obviously a feeling that they should be going over to the UK to volunteer. And there is some complication over one who is/was a british officer - he can't wear his uniform in a neutral country, but doesn't have the coupons for new clothes.
      There is also a reference in one of the books to young women who are suffering because so few young men around - but because of the war they can't either chase after the ones they know or travel elsewhere to look for eligibles.
      No further info on the ballad of the hanged man! I assumed the reference was because there would be lots to choose from. and of course there were plenty of rebels being executed over the years. 'As young Roddy McCorley goes to die on the Bridge of Toone today...' will be in my head all day now.
      Chesterton said of the Irish 'all their wars are merry and all their songs are sad'.

      Delete
    4. I remember someone telling Ivor that he had a "terrible English accent" after being in the RAF for a while! It must have been a dilemma for many men in the Republic. On the other hand, if Hitler had ever managed to take England, Ireland would have been in grave danger too. "Creeping Venom" begins with a flower show to celebrate war's end, but it couldn't be called a Victory Flower Show! Also in that book, a Dubliner enjoys the "Irish accent" of people from the western counties.

      Delete
    5. I think native residents can always see a lot more differences in accents than visitors can!
      I found the local attitudes to the war very interesting in the books.

      Delete
    6. As well as men, a lot of Irishwomen moved to England during and just after the war. Archbishop McQuaid (who probably regarded Torquemada as a wishy-washy liberal) wanted laws passed to stop them going.
      There was genuine class/"race" hatred for the Anglo-Irish among some people - see Hubert Butler's experiences - and Noël Browne, the Minister of Health who brought in the Mother and Child Scheme in 1948, was ostracised by many practises because he qualified at Trinity.

      Delete
    7. It was possible for a young Irishman to volunteer without going over to the UK - another Irish Times humorist, Patrick Campbell, wrote two or three very funny pieces about his experience in the wartime Irish Navy.
      Sovay

      Delete
    8. Yes relations could be very troubled, and there was a lot of sneering about the Irish - not just the Irish workers but the poshos. And of course Irish titles always seen as a bit dubious, not up to the rigour of English ones.

      The mind boggles at the thought of the Irish Navy!

      Delete
    9. It was certainly less Dad's Army than he makes it sound - in order to keep its neutral status Ireland had to have full control over who was using their ports and what for, which was where their navy came in.
      Sovay

      Delete
    10. That's interesting - it's definitely not a well-known aspect in the UK, nor with me and my Irish family.

      Delete
  5. The Irish Times humorous columnist Myles na gCopaleen (aka novelist Flann O'Brien) had a lot to say about The Emergency in a roundabout way. Evidently there was an Irish equivalent of the British National Loaf (hated by all) - one of his characters was desperate for peace simply because this would herald the return of white bread.
    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flann O'Brien always good for a comment on what was going on in Ireland. I had a collection of the Myles na Gopaleen columns but I think gave it away...

      Delete
    2. The Best of Myles - I had that one too. Some of his surreal ideas have stayed with me. (Real name Brian O'Nolan.)

      Delete
    3. Yes, they do stick. And now after reading people's comments I'm thinking I should have kept the book.

      Delete
  6. " I had a collection of the Myles na Gopaleen columns but I think gave it away..."

    Philistine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no - generously spreading the word! Though I have to admit I would never do that unless I had a second copy in reserve.
      Sovay

      Delete
    2. Tee hee. I have got rid of so many books in the past few years - more than 3000!
      In fact I am surprised at how infrequently I think 'Oh no! that's one that went...'

      Delete
    3. They do have to come and go - sometimes I spot a book in my nearest Oxfam shop, think "Ooh, that looks interesting", pick it up and find my own name on the flyleaf.
      Sovay

      Delete
    4. Yes indeed. A friend once kept offering to lend me a book, but then was never able to find it. Eventually I gave up and sneaked off to a 2nd hand book shop. Where I found the book - with her name inside. She'd sold it on and forgotten.
      AT the same time, I can sometimes find I have obtained two copies of the same book without realizing...

      Delete
  7. My favourite Benson is The Freaks of Mayfair. The boarding house one - everyone is so horrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an... unusual title. I've just been looking at the list of his novels, it is astonishing! I think a couple were republished by Hogarth Press when there was one of the waves of interest in Mapp and Lucia, and I read those, but that's a drop in the ocean.

      Delete
    2. Lucy R. Fisher - you're right about Paying Guests (the boarding house one)!

      I still enjoy it, but prefer Secret Lives - both were re-published by Hogarth (along with Freaks of Mayfair and another which I think was Mrs Ames, about which I remember nothing).
      Sovay

      Delete
    3. I think I read Mrs Ames too, but like you have no memory of it at all.

      Delete

Post a Comment