A Glass of Blessings by Barbara Pym

A Glass of Blessings by Barbara Pym

published 1958


 


[Excerpt Preparing for a drinks party] ‘I’m longing to see what you’ve brought to wear,’ said Rowena later, when we were cutting up things to go on bits of toast and little biscuits. ‘Your clothes are always so elegant.’

‘It’s a sort of mole-coloured velvet dress,’ I said, ‘and I shall wear my Victorian garnet necklace and earrings with it.’

‘How lovely it will be to see somebody not in black! We all wear it here for parties – like a kind of uniform, just with different jewellery and little touches, you know. I suppose it’s because we get so few opportunities to wear it, and women always think black suits them, don’t they? Or they heard some man once say that it did.’


comments: I don’t suppose the party dress was nearly as fanciful as this one (& it's not velvet),  but I did want to show Wilmet distinguishing herself from the other women…

A Glass of Blessings came up in the mourning series of posts recently (a lilac coat), but there is more to Wilmet than that… I have read it several times, and always love it.

She is a very unusual Pym heroine: she does not resemble any of the others, not Dulcie or Mildred or Catherine, all different in their ways. Perhaps because she is least like one’s idea of Pym herself, where the other women seem to express some part of her character.

Wilmet is married and comfortably off and really only has herself to consider: she is a nice person, but she is quite self-centred, and lazy, but in a tremendously attractive way. She narrates the story in an honest-seeming manner, recording her casual thoughts and perceptions quite unabashedly. It is difficult to explain what is so splendid about her, but splendid is what she is.

It’s also a picture of middle-class suburban life in London, full of fascinating details. Wilmet enjoys church-going, and likes a bit of quiet flirting with Piers, her friend’s brother, while not paying much attention to her husband Roddy, and fighting off Harry, her friend’s husband.

She lives with her husband and her mother-in-law Sybil in a very satisfactory manner: you assume this arrangement will be the problem, but Pym does a very good job of showing them all very happy together. Life is extremely comfortable, but perhaps not very exciting, not how Wilmet might have hoped in the past.

‘…his manner more pompous than in the days when I had stood on his shoulders to write my name on the ceiling of an officers’ mess somewhere near Naples.’

And this is the item that Wilmet does have in common with Pym: both were in the Wrens in Italy during WW2, and perhaps suburban life is dull after that. I think the writing on the ceiling is from Pym’s own life. And Wilmet and her friend Rowena reminisce about Rocky Napier from those days – Rocky who is a character in Excellent Women.  

She goes to stay with Rowena and her room ‘seemed so very comfortable, somehow even more than my room at home – perhaps because I could be alone in it.’ When everyone goes in to town on Saturday morning, Rowena has this bizarre suggestion for Wilmet:

‘Would you like to go in and have a gin with Harry, while I wait in the car with the children?’ - taking self-abegnation too far.

There are descriptions of a Portuguese language evening class, and of a trip to a blood donors’ clinic, and a shopping expedition to buy a dress: the kind of scenes that don’t feature in novels much, a valuable resource.

And Wilmet is very good on her clothes.



I always take trouble with my clothes, and being tall and dark I usually manage to achieve some kind of distinction. Today I was in pale coffee brown with touches of black and coral jewellery.

 

Then there’s this, as she decides what to wear for a flirty lunch:

In my mind I went over all my clothes, allowing for every possible kind of weather – though if it were wet I should of course take a taxi, so that rain did not really matter. In the end I decided on a new dark grey suit with my marten stole and a little turquoise velvet hat.



The key detail is surely the taxi – most women in Pym novels wouldn’t dream of wasting money that way.

She has strong feelings about others’ clothes: on this very date:

I saw that he was wearing a duffle coat, a garment I do not approve of for grown men’s London wear.

She helps her sad friend choose clothes:

‘A sort of wool dress suitable for parish evening occasions’ – I turned the depressing description over in my mind. Poor Mary, was that really all the social life she had? I supposed that it must be….

‘And you could always dress up the neckline with pearls,’ I said enthusiastically, like a fashion magazine.

‘Yes, I have the string Father gave me on my twenty-first birthday,’ said Mary.

‘Oh, not English gentlewoman real pearls,’ I said. ‘I mean artificial ones like we saw downstairs – two or three strings at least – perhaps pink ones, they would give you a kind of glow.’

Wilmet discusses this same friend with a curate:

‘Ah yes, Mary is a fine person,’ he said thoughtfully.

I did not quite know what to make of this. I should not myself have felt particularly flattered at being so described, but then it was inconceivable that anyone should describe me in this way.

Alan Bennett is someone you might link with Pym, that gimlet eye for detail.

Wilmet mentions

A tall bearded young man, whose string bag revealed a loaf of bread (the wrapped sliced kind), a tin of Nescafé and two books from a public library, filled me with a kind of sadness, as if his whole life had been revealed

-Though it would be a very Pym-heroine set of things to be carried. But not Wilmet of course. A wonderful heroine who stands up to many re-readings.

And I like the book so much there will be another post...

Dress with black touches from Clover Vintage.

Fancy evening frock, same source.

Dark grey suit, Clover again.

 

 

 

Comments

  1. This is the one where a downmarket character says something like "He's over there, talking to the lady in the lemon jumper", breaking two genteel rules in one sentence. He turns out to be sympathetic, and have a lot of variegated trailing ivy in white plastic lattice pot-holders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy: look out for tomorrow's entry, on this book again. In it I say that anyone who knows the book well will be wondering why I haven't mentioned Keith yet... so you take the prize! He serves up 'a pink and white gateau arranged on plastic doilies'.

      Delete
  2. A treasure trove of clothes descriptions, Moira! I can see why you think she's so good on that score. And what an interesting look at the times. I'm especially interested in what you say about Wilmet. She has some of those characteristics we wouldn't normally always like, but she's a splendid character. I've known people like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Margot, a very good description, I think we warm to her. And I love all the detail of daily life.

      Delete
  3. Wilmet is great, but I also like Piers and (especially) Keith, with his meticulous housekeeping, boiling the tea towels in Tide, and his astonishment that Piers didn't own a tea pot.
    But Wilmet's wardrobe is fascinating, and is perhaps a consolation of sorts for the mild dullness of her life, though she was no doubt always very well-turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, see my response to Lucy above! Keith needed his own entry...
      You do get that feeling, that Wilmet didn't have anything else to worry about, so concentrated on her clothes.

      Delete
  4. Christine Harding7 July 2024 at 13:26

    When you think about it, it is odd that generally speaking party clothes and mourning outfits should both be black. Presumably garments worn for one event would not be suitable for the other…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS interesting. There must have been some crossover, but it would be a narrow slice of clothes that work for both...

      Delete
  5. PS: Could you please find us a short, fat heroine who never achieves any degree of distinction or elegance? I’ve always rather liked Jane in Muriel Spark’s Girls of Slender Means, who believes her work requires brain power, and that requires food,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a wonderful heroine in Margery Sharp's Eye of Love: https://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2012/02/not-romantic-not-makeover-but-still.html
      I love this book because Dolores is plain with terrible clothes (can't remember if she is fat or not) and much despised by some, but she provokes love in a key character, AND Sharp wholly resists the idea of giving her a makeover - I say in this post that few writers would've been able to resist. It is a lovely book.

      Delete
    2. Christine Harding8 July 2024 at 12:45

      How could I have forgotten Dolores! She has terrible taste in clothes, and her hair is lank and lustreless but she is such a lovely person. It is one of my favourite books.

      Delete
    3. Dolores' niece Martha might also meet the request for a dumpy heroine. In The Eye of Love she is a child, but Sharp has a trilogy involving Martha, who becomes an artist who paints with distinction but refuses utterly to do anything at all with her appearance, dressing for comfort and practicality.

      I'm so glad you mentioned this book b/c I was trying for other reasons to remember who wrote the series about Martha (Anita Brookner came to mind, and Muriel Spark, both wrongly), and here you've handed me their author on a silver platter!

      Also I love Wilmet.

      Delete
    4. From Martha in Paris: "Besides warning Martha against red wine, Dolores had also made her three very nice smocks.

      "They were of blue denim, for hard wear, and at Martha’s insistence all did up down the front, but otherwise, in cut and ornamentation (red feather-stitching) completely traditional. On a more slender figure they might have suggested, quite attractively, traditional milkmaid or shepherdess. (Sally the pretty American was actually to borrow one, and slay her compatriots in it, at Hallowe’en.) On Martha they looked partly like pup-tents and partly like maternity garments: and successfully quenched in four Frenchmen and two Dutch any notion of making a pass at her."

      Delete
    5. Christine - I think I have to read it again. I love the way Sharp tells the story so much, so very unusual.

      Dame Eleanor - oh yes wonderful Martha, I can see I am going to have to read all the books again. What a wonderful quote about the smocks.

      Delete
  6. My favourite of her novels. I particularly like Sybil and her late flowering romance. But is full of wonderful things. Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it was you who made me get it out again. Such great characters, and we get so invested. I loved Sybil doing a fanciful arty table centrepiece with twigs, and the cleaning lady throwing it out as dead...

      Delete
  7. I can't help suspecting that Rowena is not averse to Harry taking an interest in Wilmet - perhaps she herself has other fish to fry ...

    Wilmet's not my favourite Pym heroine but she does have some admirable qualities - particularly her ability to put disappointed hopes to one side, readjust her perspective and genuinely like and appreciate Keith. Though it seems oddly naive in her not to have at least considered the possibility that Piers is unmarried because he's "not the marrying kind".
    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely idea about Rowena, I hope you are right.
      So who is your favourite?
      So difficult to imagine what a lady of her era and background would know or guess about that situation...

      Delete
    2. Mildred Lathbury I think is my favourite - her life clearly hasn't turned out as she thought it would but she doesn't repine (well, not often) and finds interest and a degree of satisfaction in what she does. I'm rather annoyed that she ends up with Everard Bone though, and fear she'll spend the rest of her life typing his indices and coping with his slightly mad mother.
      Sovay

      Delete
    3. Yes I like her very much, but I am perhaps foolishly hopeful that her marriage to Everard was a success - he was at least a bit different...

      Delete
    4. I was prompted to re-read "Excellent Women" and found I liked Everard slightly more than I remembered, though I still deprecate his assumption that emotional complications are for others to sort out on his behalf!
      Sovay

      Delete
    5. Now I think I am going to have to read it again....

      Delete

Post a Comment