The China Governess by Margery Allingham

 

The China Governess by Margery Allingham

published 1962

 

 


She looked cool in a grey tailored cotton dress with a terracotta scarf and shoes and her hair a black silk helmet.


Vivat Vintage (tumblr.com)

& Pierre Cardin 1960

 

I read this one recently – for the first time in many many years – because of the Jane Stevenson book London Bridges, blogpost earlier this week here – but read the next para before you click through, SPOILER WARNING. Jane S says she was inspired to write her book by wondering what happened to a child from The China Governess – one who only appears very briefly. Hattie is the child of Allingham’s series character Inspector Charlie Luke, and the blessed Prunella, a very endearing character (‘a sweeter woman never drew breath’) - see this long-ago blog entry on Allingham’s The Beckoning Lady.

Now, if an event occurs off-stage in a series of books, between books, and you are just told about it later, is it a spoiler to mention it? If you want to know another key fact about Hatty Luke’s background, look at that blogpost now (it’s #SpoilerNotSpoiler time).

It is mentioned very early in China Governess (hinted at on p7), which we will now move on to. This is the synopsis on The Margery Allingham Archive

Young Timothy Kinnit appears to have everything: he is heir to the great family fortune of his adoptive guardians, and he is to marry his beautiful fiancée Julia Laurell. All seems to be perfect...until Timothy decides that it is time to trace his real parentage. Abandoned as a baby at the beginning of the Blitz, it appears that the environs of his parentage, the rough and unhealthy Turk Street in Ebbfield, held a number of secrets, including the key to his identity. However, as he begins to search for clues in a twenty years old mystery, he finds that there are some secrets which the past would prefer not to yield. With the aid of Mr Albert Campion, Timothy Kinnit probes not only his beginnings, but the truth behind a century-old mystery, which could have terrible implications for both he and his adoptive family.

Very fair summing up. Having mentioned this book a couple of times online (in relation to London Bridges), I know from the responses that I am not the only one who read it years ago and  has absolutely no memory of a single thing about it. (Apart from the cover: and I can't find online the one I had on my library copy...) But, it was well worth a reread. 

**And you can find a review of it here from regular blog reader callmemadam

She was such a good writer. I liked this passing comment:

‘Poor Campion,’ he said. ‘Eustace has frozen on to him as if he was the only spar in an angry sea'

But where Allingham really excelled was in describing corners of London such as the sinister Turk St Mile, mentioned above. This is Luke:




Superintendent Charles Luke was… very tall but his back and shoulder muscles were so heavy that he appeared shorter and there was a hint of the traditional gangster in his appearance, especially now as he stood with his hands in his trousers pockets, the skirts of his light tweed overcoat bunched behind him and his soft hat pulled down over his dark face.

And now Luke’s description of the area:

When you turned into The Mile from this end the first thing you saw was the biggest pawnshop you ever clapped eyes on and opposite, all convenient, was the Scimitar. That was a huge gin palace, built on what you might call oriental lines. The street stalls ran down both sides of the way to the hill and every other one of them sported a strictly illegal crown-and-anchor board. The locals played all day. Early in the morning and late at night by naptha flares. Farther on, round the dip, was the residential quarter. I don’t know if that’s the term. People lived in caves. There’s no other word for them.

To me this is great writing, wonderful descriptions.

(Crown-and-anchor is a simple dice game, used for gambling, very popular amongst sailors)

A weird family house plays a key role, and the strangeness of the house and one of the rooms in particular – and they do rather make your blood run cold – are worthy of a horror film, or a Gladys Mitchell book. Not helped by the presence of Timothy’s old Nanny, Nanny Broome. She is one of Allingham’s parade of grotesques, an awful woman but very real, very complete, telling her interminable stories ‘Well, this lady – I always call people that because it’s more polite –‘ and on and on.



The book is full of considerations of what exactly would make the potential marriage of the two young people a mistake, what secrets or uncovered problems there are.  Frankly none of that matters, but the thought of Nanny Broome bringing up Timothy is what should make Julia run a mile.

I used this picture for her, because I first used it for an entry on Tiger in the Smoke in the very early days of the blog. It actually shows a Swedish lady in the 1930s, and is from the Swedish Heritage Board. (The full picture, which shows a couple, is very charming and well worth a look. One of my Swedish readers may be able to tell us more… )

To be honest, I probably won’t remember much about the plot of this in another 10 years, it’s not the best of Allingham’s books in that regard. But I will remember her glorious descriptions of London. The picture is obviously much later, see the Gherkin, but I liked it.


A Thames sunset panorama from Wikimedia Commons, "Photo by DAVID ILIFF. License: CC BY-SA 3.0"

And this is more of what I liked in this book – Luke again:

He stepped out to be confronted by a prospect of his beloved city which he had never seen before. He stood transfixed before the unaccustomed view of London at night time, a vast panorama which reminded him not so much of the aerial photographs of today but rather of some wood engravings far off and magical, in a printshop in his childhood. They dated from the previous century and were coarsely printed on tinted paper, with tinsel outlining the design. They had been intended as backcloths for toy theatres and were wildly ambitious…

Now to Luke’s amazed delight he saw the same glorious jumble of grandeur and mystery spread out below him. He saw the chains and whorls of the street lamps, the ragged silver sash of the river and all the spires and domes and chimney-pots, outlined with a sorcerer’s red fire, smudging against the misty sky. It made his heart move in his side.

Me too.

Comments

  1. My view every day! Love the book, esp the way it opens, with the visit to the pioneering tower blocks, the architecture that is going to expunge the past and turn the people of the abyss into model citizens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's great description, and as you say, what an interesting viewpoint to open the book with.

      Delete
  2. I'm a big fan of Margery Allingham. I see from my blog that I re-read The China Governess in 2016 but I find I still don't remember it very well so I think you're right and it can't be one of her best books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me again, callmemadam. So annoying; 2016 was supposed to be a link to what I wrote about the book but it didn't work.

      Delete
    2. I have put a link to your review in the body of the post. https://callmemadam.livejournal.com/555860.html
      You make a very good point about its being more like 1953 than 1963.

      Delete
  3. I think I'm having a faint stirring of memory - does the book involve a historical murder which gave rise to a Staffordshire figurine of a famous murderous Victorian governess? Hence The China Governess?
    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Note the Kinnits, who seem like three little figures cast from the same mould.

      Delete
    2. Yes indeed, Allingham very good at details like that, with a real creepy feel

      Delete
  4. You know, Moira, Allingham doesn't always get the credit I think she deserves for her writing style and descriptions. I'm glad you mentioned that here. And that's such an interesting premise for a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, I think her writing style was unique, quite unlike the other queens of crime. I love her picture of London, as must be obvious from the post!

      Delete
  5. "This estate is called a phoenix.... It's a social rebirth, its a statement of a sincere belief that decent conditions make a decent community, and I'm not having failure." Luke calls the building a "prehistoric whatasaurus".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Councillor Cornish was a great character.

      Delete
  6. I reread recently too. Not the best, but she is always worth reading. Just in terms of the quality of her writing, I really think she is the best of the GA writers. Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her writing about London and her characters seem to deepen as the books go on. For me, Charlie Luke is a much more rounded character than Stanislaus Oates who always seems a bit too standard issue GAD police detective for Allingham.

      Delete
  7. Chrissie: yes, I agree about the quality of the writing, and without the affectation of DLS in my view.

    Jan W: Me too, I love Charlie Luke, he is a much more interesting character than Oates

    ReplyDelete
  8. For years I have been working on rereading the Campion books by Allingham. I think I read all of them at some time, but the ones before 1990 don't really count since I have no memory of them. So I have the first 4 to read, and the 5 books after The Tiger in the Smoke (I don't count the Youngman Carter books) and The Case of the Late Pig. So I think the next one I will read will be The Case of the Late Pig or The Beckoning Lady.

    I had cataract surgery on one eye Tuesday, so I am in the midst of getting used to changes in vision. I seem to be doing all right with reading books but working on the computer is unpredictable so blogging is off and on and mostly off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you recover well Tracy, and that your eyesight improves..

      Some Allingham books I remember very clearly while others slide from my memory. I would like to reread some of them: Dancers in Mourning I read a long time ago, but still have clear memories, and Police at the Funeral always a great favourite. Sometimes I just think I should reread books I liked instead of new ones...

      Delete
  9. I was trying to work out why my memory of this one was so poor at first. In the end, it may have been because the subplots and the atmospheric bits were far more interesting than the murders. I dipped into it today to jog my memory, and as soon as Councillor Cornish appeared, I remembered both the book and enjoying it.
    It also reminded me that Allingham had an interest in writing about sociopathic young men. This, Tiger In the Smoke and Hide My Eyes (the Museum of Curiosities one) all had (at least to me) interesting attempts at writing, if not with sympathy, an attempt at understanding such men.
    It is very tempting to blame the fate of the Prune on her husband, who I understand worked quite a bit on the plots with her. Even the Allingham Society page on him, which strives to find good things to say about things, seems to suggest that although charming, he could be quite selfish (and that doesn't even mention Nancy Spain).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know what you mean about the difficult young men, and yes I think she was fascinated by them. The conversations between the boy and the canon in Tiger in the Smoke are remarkable, and chilling, and have a lot to say about the nature of good and evil.
      Yes: the husband. YOu have to keep telling yourself that she does seem to have loved him. Te biography by Julia Jones I thought was very good, a model in how to write sympathetically, and not pruriently, but honestly about some quite difficult aspects of her later life particularly.

      Delete
    2. While I admire her writing, there are some uncomfortable elements in her books. I think it’s implied that Prunella’s fate was her own fault to some extent. Also the marriage proposal in the Fashion in Shrouds is the worst ever. I don’t know anything about her husband, whether or not he influenced her attitude towards women. I can’t remember which book it was, but I seem to recall Campion telling his son to mind his own business about a case of domestic abuse, but not sure if that’s recalled correctly.

      Delete
    3. Campion's attitude to Prunella's death in this one is uconsciable, it is really strange and you think must reflect something in Allingham's own life. (Apart from the meta-ness of a writer creating a character who acts in a certain way - not particularly, I would say, how Prunella has been before - then piling in on the character...)
      I think Campion's son witnesses a husband spanking his wife, and as you say, AC tells him it is their own business. (It might be in Beckoning Lady). Although it comes over strangely to modern eyes, I think to be fair it is meant to be within acceptable or even playful bounds: AC says something like 'you never know what goes on in others' relationships.'
      Hoewever - there is no defence for the marriage proposal in Shrouds! Though I wondered - wasn't she breadwinner in the relationship? I wondered if she just wished she had a man who would say 'you don't have to work or earn money, I will do all that...'

      Delete
    4. Perhaps that’s how MA felt - like Valentine in Shrouds she was successful in a creative field. I hope her husband didn’t have an affair with a ghastly actress and then almost immediately propose to her in that manner! (And yes, Charlie Luke is wonderful.)

      Delete
    5. Her husband had a child by someone else (the writer Nancy Spain). It's not entirely clear, I think, who knew what and when. The child was raised by Spain and her partner. it's all very murky, and I try not to judge ('who knows what goes on...' as Albert and I say in previous comment), but he does not come over as a nice man.

      Delete

Post a Comment