The Chalet School and the Second World War

The Chalet School in Exile by Elinor M Brent-Dyer

published 1940

The Chalet School Goes to It by Elinor M Brent-Dyer

published 1941

 

 


I’ve been renewing my fascination with the Chalet School book series – a key part of my own early years, and those of many of my friends, mostly women, of all ages.

You can read more about this in a post here, which also links to a podcast I did with Caroline Crampton (yes, Shedunnit Caroline). That in turn arose from Caroline’s marvellous new book on hypochondria, A Body Made of Glass. Caroline invited me to discuss the Chalet School books with her, in relation to health issues, though of course we looked at other aspects.

Megaphone

A BA Body Made of Glass

Conversations about hypochondria, health anxiety, wellness, medicine, scientific history and more. Hosted by Caroline Crampton

-this link takes you to a list of podcasts inspired by the book, including the one I was a guest on.

I haven’t really recovered from doing this: I’m still living in a world of the san, and Matey, and Joey and the triplets, and avalanches and milky coffee and rolls. A uniform of gentian blue with crimson touches, and different languages on different days.

Many many people turned out to share our fascination, and couldn’t wait to tell us so. I imagine there will be quite a bit more about the Chalet School coming, and I am starting with this – an unusual and important entry in the series, which we also discussed in some detail in the podcast.




The Chalet School in Exile is extraordinarily interesting, not least because of its publication date: it appeared in 1940, so it was finished less than a year after the UK entered WW2.

Elinor M Brent-Dyer had no idea what the future held.

The Chalet School series ran from 1925 to 1969, when the author died. Book after book deals with the everyday life of the school: lessons and homework and meals and naughty girls. There are illnesses and accidents and an obsession with health. The first tranche of the books are set in Austria – so there are walks in the mountains and the occasional avalanche. There is a sanatorium next door with many links with the school: TB is the 'white plague', the health scourge of those years.

So here they are in 1938: in the Austrian Tirol at the time of the Anschluss, when Germany took over. The British families who run the school and sanatorium know there are dangers, and realize they will probably have to leave – but then events move faster than expected.

A group of 8 girls and a teacher visiting the local town/village, Spartz, go to the defence of a Jewish shopkeeper who is being attacked by a Nazi mob. The  crowd turn on them, and the local priest helps them escape via the church and an underground tunnel. Miss Wilson’s hair turns white overnight….



They have to leave without ever returning home – camping in caves and walking over the mountains (prefiguring the end of The Sound of Music), accompanied by two doctors who are also in danger of being arrested.

This is not a comforting book: the girls find out that the shopkeeper they tried to help died, his wife is dying, and the mob also shot the priest. ‘He knows he is dying. But if he lived it would mean prison for helping you escape. He prefers death to a Nazi gaol.’ Other friends are being rounded up and the girls know about concentration camps.

‘There is no news from Friedel for nearly nine months. We can only hope that he is dead. One hears such dreadful stories about concentration camps.’

Once they escape, as many people from the school as possible regroup and re-open for business – though this is in the Channel Islands, which the reader knows will be captured by the Germans just as the book ends.

There is also the question of the German spy – a ‘new girl’ who fairly obviously to everyone is going to report back to the Nazis: it is faintly hilarious how blatant this is.

But in between times the schoolgirls have lessons and play pranks. There are very strange changes in tone. An outbreak of German measles. A couple of girls save the life of a German pilot who crashes nearby.

However it is a very affecting and moving book. EMBD insists that her sensible girls distinguish between Germans and Nazis, and they put themselves at risk by forming a Chalet School Peace League, which says that what these pupils, at their multi-national school, have in common is more important than what divides them. It is in one sense absurd – they sign a document, and hiding it leads them almost into the first level of trouble, and for some of them signing it could be disastrous – but I defy anyone to read this without being affected.



In a matter of fact way, the author tells us that German girls so recently at school (doing lines and worrying about uniform infringements and order marks) are now in a Women’s Labour Corps, ‘the Nazis having given orders that all girls between the ages of 17 and 25 who were unmarried were to join.’

It is worth noting that in earlier books, the author deals with the question of gypsies in a very sweet and friendly way – very much of its time, very much ‘othering’ them and treating them as fascinating entertainment – but she insists that they live their own life, and should be given respect.

I doubt there were many books (for adults, for children, literary fiction or genre) with so clear a view of what was happening and what was to come in Europe.

And it is such a kind peace-loving view, such excitement and danger - but also a determination to fight for what is right, and to look for the best in people. You could not doubt the good heart of the author. The book made a huge impression on me when I read it as a child, and I wasn’t sure how it would stand up: but I am even more surprised and impressed by it now. Very few authors (and who can blame them?) who wrote about current events at the time could look back later without wincing. But she could have stood by every word.

An abridged version was produced years later, omitting a couple of chapters with a  description of life in the Third Reich: Jews attacked, neighbours denounced. 'No-one is safe.' (and also giving the plot some unexplained jumps)




The next book in the series is The Chalet School goes to It (1941) aka The Chalet School at War, which similarly tries to deal with the war, though less dramatically. There are air raids, and the possibility of spies (lights shining at night), all mixed in with worrying about your homework and playing tricks on each other. The girls are growing vegetables, and allowed to wear corduroy breeches for gardening, but there is a scandal where some of them wear trousers not while gardening, put on lipstick and headscarves, to make the school seem more go-ahead apparently. But the grown-ups are clear: this is not ladylike.  The Chalet School is very much back in business. It will eventually return to the Alps, but to Switzerland rather than Austria.

Undated b/w photo shows a corner of the Alps/Tirol: from Flickr. 

B/w picture of Austrian soldiers in the Tirol, Library of Congress.

Comments

  1. There are some series like this one, that have been a part of a lot of people's lives, Moira, and it's interesting to take a look at them. I also find it fascinating when a novel or series looks at a larger event (in this case, the war) through the eyes of the ordinary people who live through it. That perspective helps people understand the event better, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot, yes I think you're right, and you can learn a lot even from books that aren't wholly realistic.

      Delete
  2. Very hard-hitting for a children's book of the time, when one suspects most British adults would think children should be protected from the realities of what was happening in Europe. I didn't read many of the Chalet School books as a child, and definitely not this one - I should try to track down a copy.
    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was very educational for me to read as a child - and useful to know that some people were aware of what was going in Germany in the 1930s.

      Delete
  3. Unlike you and most of the people I know who love the books, I think I only read one as a child. This is probably because our local library was too high-minded to stock school stories. So, I've read the whole series as an adult and the wartime ones are probably my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very good - but i do also like it when the school is in the mountains!

      Delete
  4. Going by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalet_School#tnote13 the Chalet School seems to have inspired admirers to fill in gaps or continue on a scale exceeded only by Sherlock Holmes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed - obsession is important! Caroline, with whom I did the podcast, has just lent me one of the follow-on books: The Chalet Girls Grow up by Merryn Williams. It is mentioned in that list as being 'unsuitable for younger readers' and indeed it is. I couldn't put it down - in her version the girls have eventful lives. I loved it and found it both hilarious and heart-breaking, but I think it caused considerable controversy in Chalet-School-World.

      Delete
    2. These do sound extraordinary! I have never read any. Your description reminds me a bit of The Silver Sword, also about children escaping across Europe and clear-eyed about some of the horrors of the war, but written much later in 1956. Chrissie

      Delete
    3. When a Chalet School book featuring Sherlock Holmes appears, I'll be interested.
      It's interesting how political attitudes varied in the 1930s: W.E. (Biggles) Johns was an ardent supporter of the Spanish Republic.

      Delete
    4. Chrissie: I never got on with The Silver Sword as a child (and there's a book that was always in the school and public libraries!), I should try reading it now.

      Delete
    5. Sherlock at the Chalet! He could find out which of the girls are playing tricks on each other.
      Biggles in Spain was one of my favourites of the Biggles books, I have written about it twice on the blog, though never as the primary book.
      This one https://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2022/05/death-of-airman-by-christopher-st-john.html also has a link to the other post.
      The endless chain of links of blogging! I have just read a book which led me back to Dennis Wheatley, who also set a book in Spain in the 1930s. A blogpost will follow soon...

      Delete
  5. It's good to know that the notorious "casual anti-Semitism" of the 1930's didn't contaminate every writer! People who would go to the aid of persecuted Jews were pretty scarce on the ground back then. If the author spent time in Austria she must have been all too aware of the crazies next door, even if she couldn't predict how horrific they would become. About the gypsies--I've had the impression that Romanies deliberately maintain their "otherness" as an important part of their culture, in spite of being bad-mouthed and persecuted, and they view the rest of us as definite Others. (Could be wrong of course, given that all my knowledge of them comes from books!) Around the same time, Margery Allingham had Campion be friendly with gypsies in "Look to the Lady." Have you ever done a post about gypsies in books? I'd bet the approaches to them vary quite a bit. But maybe there's not much to the clothing angle....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...but an opportunity to quote Aylwin again!

      Delete
    2. yes, I was just thinking that about Aylwin. When I was writing about it I thought Romany was a great topic, but difficult to get the tone right in the modern world, I would be nervous.
      As I said in that post, it is easy to find pictures of 'gypsies' but they all seem staged, or just someone dressed up. I did find some beautiful and authentic-seeming pictures of Irish travellers from the 1950s.
      I'd have to be feeling brave to tackle the subject.

      Delete
  6. Christine Kendell24 May 2024 at 16:33

    I've heard about Merryn Williams' book, which apparently, as you say, is full of events! I've read comments from some very displeased people. Haven't read it myself, but it sounds worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can understand some people saw it as an insult to their memories. But once I got over my initial shock, I enjoyed it. It was a really clever way of looking at women's lives over the years. But it does need a trigger warning, so those who won't enjoy it can avoid it!

      Delete
    2. Christine Kendell2 June 2024 at 16:37

      I've nearly finished it, and it's nothing like I was expecting from the disgruntled comments I've seen. It's very absorbing, but it is a weird thought that these characters in later life were around during my lifetime. I wonder what gave Merryn Williams the idea of doing it.
      I remember telling my parents when I was about eight, that I liked the name Margot; perhaps she was my favourite triplet.

      Delete
    3. I think some of my views of names are based on characters in the Chalet School books! I expect Margots to be a bit quirky...
      I'm glad you liked it, and I too was busy wondering which of the next generation were the same age as me.

      Delete
  7. Now to read a Chalet book and see what it's all about! Sounds wonderful! Meantime, a series of largely wartime books about the Melendy family of New York state in the US, written during the period by Elizabeth Enright, is my childhood touchstone and I can still quote from them. Example: The Four Story Mistake. Four children slowly grow up and their trials and triumphs.

    The photo of the mountainside village in Tirol brought back a disturbing memory. Around 1968, my family drove (and rode on an auto train) from Germany to the Mediterranean, through the Tirol. At one point, along a road following the curves of a stony river like that in the photo, you could see a village across the river. As we came closer, we noticed the shell holes in the walls, the dark, blank, glass-less windows, and the row of isolated, ruined stone bridge supports leading from our side to the village, the bridge deck bombed out. The village was deserted. I watched it until I could see it no more from the car window, and that memory has remained only too clear ever since.

    Very best,
    Natalie across the pond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved (still do) Enright's books, about the Melendys but also the Far-Away Lake stories. I don't remember ever reading any British school stories, they would probably not have been available to young readers in the States fifty years ago.

      Delete
    2. Natalie, thanks, it's difficult to be objective about something you enjoyed as a child, I don't know what an adult coming to the Chalet School for the first time would think! But worth a try.
      I think I have read a Melendy book, many years ago when my own children were young, I will try another.
      And what a disturbing story about the village. horrible.

      Delete
    3. Shay: I'm trying to think which Enright stories I have come across - Melendy sounds familiar but not the Far Away Lake. The Saturdays, I think - children pooling their allowance to give each one good day.
      It is far from posh boarding schools that I was raised, but I loved the stories. When my own chlidren were young and we lived in the USA, I made sure they read English boarding school stories, and we also introduced them to their friends. The Jennings books have 8 year old boys sent away to school and learning Latin and wearing blazers and caps, (about as different from life in millennial Seattle as you could imagine) but they are hilarious and charming and went down very well.

      Delete
  8. "lessons and homework and meals and naughty girls" Does not sound like books meant to appeal to rebellious youths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EM Brent-Dyer would not approve of rebellious youths. She had no children herself, and very strong ideas of how they should be raised: she believed that UK and US young people were much more likely to get ill because they did not obey their parents...

      Delete
    2. There is something interesting about her books being popular with so many children when she had that attitude.

      Delete
    3. Yes indeed, but didn't we expect to be lectured to by authors in those days? she was very popular with teachers apparently, also.

      Delete
  9. As you have often indicated, the books written between 1935 and 1942 are fascinating in both what the authors thought they could say and how they were influenced by real-world events. I am impressed by the fact that Brent-Dyer addressed issues head-on and was realistic about what happened to those who put their head above the parapet.
    It's one of the reasons the Eric Ambler 1930s books are so appealing to me (besides the fact that in two of his books, the KGB agents are portrayed as being a very light shade of grey)
    There is also the marvellous line in Thirkell's Summer Half where one of the characters (probably Lydia) muses on the fact that she has often met communists socially but has never met fascists wearing their leather boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, we are of one mind. And yes, Eric Ambler is very noticeable in this respect.
      Very Angela Thirkell and very Lydia - splendid.

      Delete
  10. Are you aware that these books are regularly still in print and that there’s an active Friends of the Chalet School? https://www.ggbp.co.uk/ http://www.chaletschool.org.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, which we did mention in the podcast, but I'm sure readers will be delighted to hear that, and thanks for the link.

      Delete
  11. I have to thank Zip Zip and Shay. Recently I've been trying to track down a book I read at the age of about ten, The Saturdays. It was about an American family with four children, and the idea was that each of them took it in turn to do something fun on Saturday. One of the girls had a manicure, which didn't go down too well with her parents! There was a janitor who looked after the furnace in the basement, I think. It probably seemed very exotic (I was in Birmingham) and I've always remembered it, and now I know who wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's great, I love it when the blog creates those connections. Hope you can find a copy to reread.

      Delete

Post a Comment