Destination Unknown by Agatha Christie

 

Destination Unknown by Agatha Christie

published 1954

 

 


‘We’re going native for the next lap,’ she explained, ‘we leave our other clothes here.’ So the smart little American woman’s neat suiting and Hilary’s tweed coat and skirt and the nun’s habit were all laid aside and three native Moroccan women sat on the roof of the house and chatted together. The whole thing had a curiously unreal feeling.



 

comments:  Yes, a ‘curiously unreal feeling’ is right – this was another of Christie’s ventures back into thriller territory. I always linked it in my mind with Passenger to Frankfurt (blogpost here, wondering if it is the worst Christie) but it is actually much better, I enjoyed reading it. Though had to suspend disbelief a lot.

This is the one where a woman contemplating suicide is invited to undertake an undercover mission: it will almost certainly result in her death, but she will have helped out along the way. A good, memorable setup -  I was surprised to find there were two chapters and 24 pages before we get to this, I’d remembered it as the very beginning.

Hilary, the red-headed heroine, has to step into a classic impersonation – I’m sorry I’d forgotten this, also, when I did a series of posts on impersonation a while back.

In order to say anything more on the plot, I need to give some SLIGHT SPOILERS, but this IS from the cover of the book:

When a number of leading scientists disappear without trace, concern grows within the international intelligence community. Are they being kidnapped? Blackmailed? Brainwashed?

One woman appears to have the key to the mystery. Unfortunately, she now lies in a hospital bed, dying from injuries sustained in a Moroccan plane crash.

Hilary steps in, and is taken off to a secret location where the missing scientists are hidden. But what happens when she meets her supposed ‘husband’ you might say? This is the scene beloved in all impersonation stories – you will have to read the book to find out.

There are some splendidly creepy scenes, such as the one where some huge boxes appear, and Hilary is wondering…

‘I know what it is. The pilot told me. It’s not very pretty perhaps, but I guess it’s necessary.’ He added quietly, ‘There are bodies in there.

‘Bodies!’ She stared at him.

‘Oh, they haven’t been murdered or anything,’ he grinned reassuringly. ‘They were obtained in a perfectly legitimate way for research—medical research, you know.’

And the scene ends with this:

It was Dr Barron now who spoke to her. ‘But surely you know where we are going?’

Mrs Baker, drawing near, said cheerfully: ‘Of course she knows. But maybe she didn’t expect it quite so soon.’

Hilary said, after a short bewildered pause: ‘But you mean—all of us?’ She looked round.

‘We’re fellow-travellers,’ said Peters gently.

The young Norwegian, nodding his head, said with an almost fanatical enthusiasm: ‘Yes, we are all fellow-travellers.’

And there is someone with their own mad ideas:

She smiled contemptuously. ‘Christianity has made fools of women,’ she said. ‘Such a worship of weakness, such snivelling humiliation! Pagan women had strength. They rejoiced and conquered! And in order to conquer, no discomfort is unbearable. Nothing is too much to suffer.’



The home in the desert is completely absurd and ridiculous. I kept wondering about the lives of the ballet dancers. Don’t believe me? – this was one of my favourite sentences, and about as un-Christie-like as you could wish to find:

The audience did not include what might be called the technical staff: the laboratory assistants, the Corps de Ballet, the various service personnel, and the small assembly of handsome prostitutes who also served the Unit as purveyors of sex to those men who had no wives with them and had formed no particular attachments with the female workers.

But this wholly unbelievable world made for good reading, I enjoyed the book. I mean, it’s not a patch on a proper Christie murder story, but it’s not bad.



This is Hilary being kitted out:

‘I would suggest, if you agree, just a set of underclothing, a dinner dress, and perhaps a tailleur.’

Mademoiselle La Roche…took a few rapid measures and led Hilary into a big apartment with built-in cupboards. There were clothes here of every description, made of good material and excellent cut and in a large variety of sizes. When Hilary had selected the essentials of la toilette, they passed on to the cosmetics department where Hilary made a selection of powders, creams and various other toilet accessories.

Later she gets ready for dinner:

Hilary had changed into the dress she had selected. A soft shade of grey-green that made a good background for her red hair. She clasped a necklace of rather attractive costume jewellery round her neck and said she was ready.

 


I am now making a list of the thriller-esque Christies, from best to worst (and yes, it is entirely up to me which books I put into this category):

1.    Man in the Brown suit

2.    Seven Dials Mystery

3.    The Secret Adversary

4.    Destination Unknown

5.    They Came to Baghdad

6.    The Big Four

7.    Anything featuring Tommy and Tuppence

8.    Passenger to Frankfurt

Top photo shows a lot of Moroccan women on a roof – it’s from a travel book by Edith Wharton, and for a magical moment I thought she might have taken it. But I think it is just an illustration.  The other picture shows Women’s Day at a mosque in Morocco..

Woman in green dress from Clover Vintage Tumbler.

Woman with microscope is Barbara McLintock a noted geneticist – I have said before that I love to look at the Smithsonian Institute’s collection of photos of women scientists, which I use without any implication to link the subject of the photo with the book…

Comments

  1. I like this book, especially the early chapters where she assesses her fellow-travellers and wonders which is her contact. The plain woman who has "made the most of herself". The bossy Englishwoman Abroad. And Christie does Sinister Utopia better than John Le Carré.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought it dived in and out of being quite compelling and enjoyable, and then stretches that were less so. Very taken with your last sentence!

      Delete
  2. I have to admit, Moira, I always liked her mysteries more than her thrillers. I like the way she weaves in some commentary with this plot, though. As you mentioned, I think the key to get to the good stuff in this one is to let go of disbelief and go along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Margot. I feel the same way, but that means that I don't have high expectations from the thrillers 😊 and can be pleasantly surprised - that's what happened with this one.

      Delete
  3. I had to look up "tailleur" which M-W describes as a woman's tailored suit, especially one for city wear. I wondered why she would need a tailored suit in the desert--although of course her destination was unknown, right?! Did she wear native clothing all the time, when not dressing for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the most weird things about the setup - they have to travel in disguise (Moroccan clothes) but then it seems that in the secret location everyone dresses like an episode of Mad Men. The mind boggles.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed this one too. With a second reading years after the first time, I was surprised and delighted with some of the twists and turns. Oh yes, disbelief must be suspended, but then, that's what sometimes makes a book worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we had very similar reactions. And you have to give Christie credit for a complex plot and the ability to surprise the reader and do something different.

      Delete
  5. It’s Brad, Moira! I love the idea of a mad super-villain providing a shopping mall for his victims/puppets. And the final twist is pure Christie. Hilary starts out interesting and then turns into a drip. (I’m kind of with the pagan woman here!) The rest is utter silliness but much more fun than They Came to Baghdad or the awful (I almost spelled it offal) Passenger to Frankfurt.

    It’s interesting to me that you don’t place The Pale Horse in this category. To me, it’s far and away Christie’s best thriller!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you've got me thinking about Pale Horse - I have not put it in the thriller category in my head, but you may well be right. I will give it consideration.
      I have a soft spot for Baghdad, but agree totally about Frankfurt. Have you done a ranking of the thrillers?

      Delete
  6. Yes, it's quite bonkers! I seem to remember loving it as a teenager, and it is still fun. I enjoy an impersonation - both as a reader and a writer. Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Chrissie - the process of impersonation can't NOT be interesting and intriguing...

      Delete
  7. I reread this one over the summer and it's still a winner for me. Hilary is quite different from your average run of pretty young thing heroines, which is why she's so compelling to me. The whole setup in the desert is kind of fascinating, like a huge and sinister library where the rich could go to borrow their scientist of choice. And I think the clothing touches even add to that- they may be in the middle of nowhere, but by golly they're going to dress like proper ladies and gentlemen- no blue jeaned wildness here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first time I had reread this since starting the blog, and it was the clothes that struck me a lot. Someone could make a very aesthetic film of this - hallucinatory scenes of everyone dressing for dinner in super-saturated colours, with the sand colours in the background. Watching the ballet in the middle of the desert. You'd need a surrealist to really do it justice.

      Delete
  8. It is a weird book but extremely readable and one roots for Hilary to have a happy ending. I had forgotten or never noticed the ballet but I remember the moment when she realizes they're all going to the desert together. I also recall the people who sent her finally finding the beads she dropped and being relieved the group hasn't completely vanished.

    I would have ranked They Came to Baghdad higher than you did but my last reread made me impatient with it. I think I liked it and Brown Suit a lot as a teen because the heroines were close to me in age; Bundles too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that if I read it under a different author name I would a) not guess it was Christie and b) be quite impressed by it! It has some really interesting aspects to it, and 'moments' such as those you mention.
      I am exactly the same - I very much liked her young women when I identified with them, particularly Anne Bedingfeld. I don't think I'd fully realized that till you said it, and now it seems very obvious to me!

      Delete

Post a Comment