The Deadly Truth by Helen McCloy

 The Deadly Truth by Helen McCloy

published 1941

 







[excerpt]

A butterfly in a beehive could not have looked more out of place than Claudia Bethune in the vestibule of the Southerland Foundation. The piratical rake of her black straw hat and the sly cut of her black crêpe dress came from the world of fashion and frivolity. The brilliants that winked from the rim of her onyx watch would have kept one of the Foundation’s research chemists in comfort for a year. The staccato click of her three-inch heels wakened echoes unfamiliar in a hall where ears were tuned to the rubber-shod tread of laboratory assistants, and the delicate spice of Angèle’s Nuit de Mai bemused nostrils that had savoured nothing more subtle than carbolic for years.

 


comments: I never don’t enjoy a Helen McCloy book and this one sums up why – great clothes descriptions, fancy black dresses, and a dysfunctional family. And then the slightly unexpected trope of a truth drug. Semi-scientific mumbo-jumbo, but who can resist a scene where a dinnertable-ful of people is going to be given the truth drug, then left to talk their way out of the resulting trouble...

‘It’s a derivative of scopolamin that I’ve just succeeded in isolating’ says the boffin. ‘‘Truth serum’ is just the popular name. Actually, it’s an anaesthetic which dulls pain without obliterating consciousness. It was called ‘twilight sleep’ when used in childbirth because it creates a twilit state between sleeping and waking.’

These drugs feature in novels of the era, and used to puzzle me. In one of the Mapp and Lucia books, a character is ‘seen with’ some twilight sleep, giving rise to a rumour that she is pregnant. I didn’t really understand it till I read Jessica Mitford’s book on the history of maternity care in the US, The American Way of Birth – very helpful and informative.

And as for the same drug under the name scopolamine (in general it seems to have the e at the end) – at a young and impressionable age I went through an Alastair MacLean books phase. In The Guns of Navarone, there is a piece of dialogue about a character who might be captured:

‘They’ll make him talk. Scopolamine will make anyone talk.’

‘Scopolamine! On a dying man?’ Miller was openly incredulous.

Well! I was filled with curiosity, I didn’t understand any aspect of this, and in those days you couldn’t just Google the answers.

So I have form with these drugs….well, fictional form.

 And I have form with dressing-gowns:

“Peg! How often have I told you not to come down to breakfast in a dressing gown! If you can’t get dressed by nine o’clock I’ll have a tray sent to your room.”

“This isn’t a dressing gown — it’s a hostess gown! Some people wear them for dinner.”



The whole dressing gown, hostess gown, teagown, housecoat has had a good going-over on the blog over the years (for example in housecoat mode in an entry on another McCloy book here, and in Margery Sharp here) – I think the key definition in older times was that you didn’t wear the constricting foundation garments – corset, stays, later girdles – under them, so it was more comfortable. The pattern here is a gown which was considered suitable as a negligee or as an evening gown. It doesn’t look quite as loose and comfortable as you might expect… that’s quite a small waist…

There is surprisingly dangerous jewellery, and there is ‘violent magenta lipstick’ – always a warning sign in books see Patricia Wentworth’s The Dower House Mystery  where the heroine is asked why she dislikes (mistrusts) someone: “Well, I expect it was her magenta lips.” 

A character is compared to a painting by John Singer Sargent, Astarte.

 


The plot involves all kinds of weird things. Series detective Dr Basil Willing is a psychiatrist, and although he makes a reasonable sleuth, he’s not someone you would lightly invite to dinner – a pompous judgemental knowall. Also, views on psychology have changed a lot over the years, making his certainties less attractive. But, he catches murderers…

Black outfit from Glamour magazine, via the Clover vintage tumbler – some years later than the date of the book.

Comments

  1. This does sound like an interesting story, Moira! And the clothes descriptions sound right up your street. I like the premise, too.. Your comment about scopolamine triggered a memory of some of Agatha Christie's work. It's used under its other name - hyoscine - in the play Black Coffee. There's also an adaptation of Appointment With Death, although not the actual novel, that uses it. Sorry for going off-piste, but it just made me think of where I'd read about it before. At any rate, this does seem, as you say, a bit weird, but good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, thanks so much for the extra info Margot! I did not know that, not knowing about the other names for it. Your knowledge is awesome!

      Delete
    2. I used to have to take scopolamine whenever I went to sea (mal de mer runs in my family; my father and one of my sisters could get sick in a canoe), but nobody ever warned me it was a truth drug.

      And me at the time with a TS clearance.

      Delete
    3. This could be a really good plot device - an unexpected way of getting the secrets...

      Delete
  2. Scopolamine shows up in a fair number of thrillers too. There's a Michael Gilbert story set much later than this where they give it to the IRA double agent to get him to talk. House gowns show up a fair bit in post WW2 stories as something the lady of the house could wear at home in the evening - more informal and often warmer than a dress. The heroine of Wentworths Eternity Ring has one the colour of rowan berries which sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for a great range of input here - teagowns to drugs is exactly what we like here. You have come up as anonymous but feel you are a regular?

      Delete
  3. I remember enjoying this one, although I might have enjoyed Dance of Death more.
    However, I was something of a nincompoop. When making notes whilst reading the story, after I reached the point of Claudia’s death, I wrote down a very salient point. To be honest it is the most crucial thing to consider, even if you do not pick up on the other pieces of evidence that Basil does. This one piece nails the killer’s guilt. So what did I do? I wrote the idea down, thought to myself oh if it was that then it had to be so and so, and then promptly forgot about the point and carried on reading, only to then be surprised by the killer. I think Poirot would probably despair of me lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry this comment is from Kate at crossexaminingcrime - for some reason it didn't log me with my usual details when I published my above comment.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kate - I don't think I had it with this one, but I recognize the feeling exactly: you think 'surely it can't be that obvious, this can't be the giveaway it seems?' So maybe forgetting made you able to enjoy it more tee hee. We won't make you Captain Hastings yet - Ariadne Oliver maybe?

      Delete
  4. I haven't read the book, so I don't know, but in a Father Brown story Chesterton shows that the truth disclosed by a truth drug may not be entirely what was expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm trying to remember which story that was?
      Someone recently started a funny Twitter thread about things that you thought as a child would be dangerous scarey aspects of being an adult, but turned out not to impinge much. (THis is quite hard to explain but easily apparent when you start seeing lists). They started with 'quicksands, piranhas & the Bermuda Triangle', which I totally empathised with. Quicksands resonated with everyone. Anyway, I think 'truth drugs' could go on that list. As a child the prospect is terrifying ('How much time did you spend on that homework?') but a) they don't seem to have developed much and b) as an adult it's mostly not a worry...

      Delete
    2. It's a lie detector, not a truth drug - The Mistake of the Machine in The Wisdom of Father Brown.

      Delete
    3. I found it and read it and enjoyed it very much! I must have read it before but didn't remember. It was clever and did indeed express one's doubts about such apparatus. And another of my non-anachronisms: the story was published in a collection in 1914. Early days for a lie detector...

      Delete
  5. Marjorie Hillis (in "Live Alone And Like It" claims there are four kinds of pajamas, two of which may with propriety be worn for visitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Live Alone and Like It is surprisingly funny and upbeat, and is full of good tips. Not least that you can transform yourself from a dull pupa into a fashionable butterfly aged 35 if you're only tall and thin enough with anonymous features.

      Delete
    2. I have a soft spot for Marjorie Hillis and regularly re-read Live Alone and Like It as well as its successor Orchids on Your Budget. There is a strong proto-feminist streak in both books, and the advice she hands out is quite useful still, I think. (And I would so much like to be friends with Marjorie!)

      Delete
    3. Shay, Lucy and Birgitta: I enjoyed that book very much https://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2017/08/dress-down-sunday-live-alone-and-like.html - I think Birgitta gets the credit for actually making me read it.
      And yes, much of the advice still holds.
      But I can't remember what the four kinds of pyjamas are.
      She does sound like a lovely woman

      Delete
  6. In the 19th century a loose gown worn without a corset was called a wrapping-gown or a wrapper. It was generally worn at home in the morning and you could see family and intimate women friends in it but not gentleman callers. The very fact that the wrapping-gown was soft and comfortable meant that it was regarded with some suspicion, though. A French conduct book from 1868 warns that it induces ‘harmful habits: one no longer laces oneself, decides that simple cleanliness suffices, neglects elegance, and avoids discomfort.’ The Brontës certainly seem to have disapproved. About Madame Beck in Villette, Lucy Snowe remarks: ‘Till noon, she haunted the house in her wrapping-gown, shawl, and soundless slippers. How would the lady-chief of an English school approve this custom?’ This fits with Lucy's final accusation: "You are a sensualist, Madame Beck!" Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the term puzzling me in childhood reading. I think there were wrappers in What Katy Did - a book I read many times.
      It has to be said, women have quite an ability to make life hard for other women, by being so judgey. Charlotte B is hilariously so - sometimes put into her characters. She is a smug little soandso when she's in the mood. Villette is such a strange book....

      Delete
  7. You mean hyoscine, as in travel sickness tablets, is (or was) regarded as a truth drug or lie detector? I must have taken thousands and thousands of them over years. Now I shall be deeply suspicious of them - but I shall continue to use them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a surprising and splendid notion - surely ripe for being used in a novel. 😉 We need a chemist to come and explain more.

      Delete
  8. PS: How about finding me a heroine who gets travel sick? I had high hopes of Georgette Heyer - all those stuffy carriages rattling along the bumpy roads! But I haven’t found anything yet. Guess it is not an attractive ailment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is notable in Brideshead Revisited that the 'wonderful' Julia is not seasick, where Charles' hated wife is. In Philippa Gregory's Other Boleyn Girl, the only nice man pretends to be seasick to get the heroine to be nice to him on a sea voyage. Is it OK for men to be travel sick? I hve just been re-reading Mary Stewart's Arthurian books, and Merlin gets hopelessly seasick, but that's because he's a wizard, and they don't like crossing water.

      Delete

Post a Comment