Dress Down Sunday: Knock, Murderer, Knock! By Harriet Rutland

published 1938

LOOKING AT WHAT GOES ON UNDER THE CLOTHES


Knock Murderer Knock 1


Mrs. Marston was thinking how disheartening it was to try and arrange an outing which would please them all. Charles always contrived to be more than usually irritable on such days. He tried to make out that it was because she nagged him about taking medicine and exercise. But if she didn’t take the trouble to remind him he simply made no attempt to take either, and she had to sit up with him all night if he had one of his attacks….
Knock Murderer Knock 2
She was growing tired of his temper. The real reason for it this morning was that she had asked him whether he had remembered to wear his thermogene. Perhaps it had been rather tactless of her, in front of other people, but still, standing about in the draughty front porch was enough to give him a severe chill, and he should have had the sense to know it. If it were not for the girls, she might...

Knock Murderer Knock 3


commentary: Never has ‘what goes on under the clothes’ been more accurate. 

Thermogene was medicated wadding worn as an extra layer between underwear and skin. (And, btw, isn’t the French advert for it so much more delightful than the boring British jar? – though this is a rub version, as opposed to the textile version)

It was much used to try to deal with conditions such as rheumatism and lumbago - it ‘warms away the pain’. According to their advertising, it can be ‘worn beneath one’s clothes without showing. When its healing work is done, it can be removed little by little, thus avoiding the sudden exposure which so often causes chills and starts a fresh attack.’ Mmm, sounds lovely doesn’t it?

Interestingly (well, I thought it was) one of the characters in the book scandalizes several of the others by reading aloud from Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World, and thermogene is mentioned in that book: ‘Rams wrapped in thermogene beget no lambs’, a reference to the incubation process which is a key part of life in the future dystopia.

Knock is set in a Hydro (supposedly in Devon, though it seems likely Rutland took details from a Hydro in Cork in Eire, where she lived for a time). Hydros probably equate to contemporary health farms or spa hotels, and always provide a great setting for a novel – Miss Marple spent a Christmas at one once, and Catriona McPherson’s formidable Dandy Gilver found murder and mayhem at a Scottish one.

The characters and staff are introduced quickly and expertly, and murder follows: rather gruesome, with the victim being stabbed in the back of the head with a knitting needle. Soon afterwards, an arrest is made, but there are more murders to come, and another detective is needed to solve the case.

The book races along, and is very funny: the characters are well-rounded and distinct, and the author has a light-hearted and modern attitude to various sexual matters – she has much more open discussions than, say Agatha Christie. In this respect she reminded me of another blog favourite, Ethel Lina White. One character says:
They say that when a man gives a woman a fur coat he gives her something to put under it.
Which I’m guessing is rather a risqué remark…. And there is this from the doctor [added later: it is actually the police inspector who has this thought, see comments below]
[Both] were young, good-looking, unmarried girls. In his profession accuracy was a habit, and he had learned to be careful in his usage of the old-fashioned word “virgin” in these enlightened days.
And I liked this idea:
you don’t really expect a low-born adventuress to know how to play the piano, do you?
There are excellent clothes descriptions throughout – such as


She wore a brilliant cerise-and-white ensemble, evidently not
Knock Murderer Knock 4
intended for church-going


And
glancing at the lace bertha with which Miss Astill had decorated her black taffeta dress, and at the insignificant blue silk dresses worn by the Marston girls…
And just before the Brave New World scene, we get this excellent passage – the book referred to is by Kate O’Brien, and is an unexceptionable family saga:
“The last book I saw you with was the one with the rude title,” said Mrs. Marston. “In All My Nakedness, I think it was called.”

“Without My Cloak,” corrected Miss Blake. “You wouldn’t call me naked just because I took off my coat, would you?” 

“Yes, I should,” came a booming whisper from Mrs. Napier, who had apparently been asleep through the rest of the conversation. “Some of the frocks she wears under that thing she calls a house-coat are no bigger than vests.”

(Kate O'Brien took the phrase Without My Cloak  from Sonnet 34 by Shakespeare – the blog is an expert right now, after attending Sonnet Sunday at The Globe last week.)

Knock, Murderer, Knock is a quite splendid book, a real Golden Age crime story: the wit, details and scene-setting don’t preclude a good mystery. My friend Curtis Evans has written a fascinating and informative introduction to the new edition published by my favourite publishers, Dean St Press.

And John Norris, at Pretty Sinister Books, and Kate at Cross-Examining Crime have both done helpful reviews of the book.

Cerise-and-white from the NYPL, a collection of 1930s fashion illustrations.
























Comments

  1. Oh, this does sound like a great Golden Age novel Moira. The setting is terrific, and I like the writing style. I see what you mean, too, about Ethel Lina White - interesting comparison. It sounds like a good read, and it's another of those authors you don't hear about as much. I always wonder about that....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact the wrote only three books has probably contributed to her relative obscurity. I liked this one quite as as well, and more than Bleeding Hooks, but have not read Blue Murder which is supposedly her best.

      Delete
    2. Thanks both for your comments. I think she died young didn't she? I have Blue Murder lined up but haven't read it yet. I find the name Bleeding Hooks very offputting, I don't know why, given the basic gruesomeness of reading any murder stories.

      Delete
    3. Her last book was published in 1942, twenty years before she died in 1962 (according to Goodreads). The hooks are for fishing rather than hanging meat, thankfully. I trust you prefer the alternative title used for the US edition, "The Poison Fly Murder".

      Delete
    4. Oh I think I got her confused with Elizabeth Gill, who only wrote three books also, but in her case because she died young! Thanks for clearing that up. And yes, the US title much more to my liking.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the kind mention as ever. The French advert is great! I feel like you must have vault of weird and wonderful fashion images you just dip into for all your reviews. Annoyingly with this one I did identify the culprit half way through the book, with an intuitive light bulb moment, but I liked how you pulled out other points of interest with this book. I certainly hadn't considered comparing it with ELW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually really enjoyed finding out about thermogene, and especially with the Huxley connection.
      There was a kind of freedom about the writing - and about the attitudes of the young women - that reminded me of ELW.
      Have you read all Rutland's books?

      Delete
    2. Yes I've read all 3. Blue murder is my favourite and definitely interesting from gender point of view.

      Delete
    3. I have Blue Murder and will read that next - out of order!!!

      Delete
  3. Thermogene sounds rather wonderful. I wonder when people stopped using it. On another tack one day I hope you will do a post on the liberty bodice. I had to wear one as a child and never was a garment more inappropriately named.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "never was a garment more inappropriately named."

      But wasn't it intended to replace a set of stays? In which case, it's a question of degree (kind of like the sign I saw the other day outside a coffee shop with "Donuts - Better for You than Chrystal Meth!")

      Delete
    2. I love the byways such as thermogene: the Imperial War Museum has various references to it, and I think it went on till later than you would expect. It does sound repellent to modern minds though.
      Liberty bodices absolutely should be done, but they do not crop up much in books - perhaps you can both look out for references for me. And then I can say 'Liberty bodices - better than crystal meth'. Which is, y'know, true. (not better than donuts though)

      Delete
    3. What is amusing (given their fictional reputation, at least in 20th century literature) is that the French stuck their little girls in liberty bodices as well, and as late as the 40's/50's. There are a number of patterns on the Benes-Addict blog in her "Vintagerie" section.

      Delete
    4. I'm still not sure what the point was - just another layer, or a blocker in case your blouse was too light? Will go and look up.

      Delete
    5. … and failed at the first attempt because I don't know the French for liberty bodice, and so the search didn't find it. And liberte didn't work. Further research needed.

      Delete
  4. I definitely should try this book or another by Rutland. Maybe even break down and read it on the Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was marked down to 71 cents this afternoon. For less than a dollar, how could I go wrong?

      Delete
    2. Oh well, I gave in and got all three in the Kindle version. We will see how I do with that format.

      Delete
    3. Kindle cannot be beaten for bargains. Hope you both enjoy her.

      Delete
  5. One I can safely dodge thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite funny, in a very dark way. Not too difficult to guess the murderar and motive though.

    And a small correction: The comment on these enlightened days is made by the inspector.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and about the following line: "They say that when a man gives a woman a fur coat he gives her something to put under it." I agree it sounds risqué but I don't get it. Does it mean that the man also gives the woman lingerie? Or does it mean something else?

      Delete
    2. Thanks Johan, I have corrected the reference to the doctor!
      The risque remark - my assumption was that it was something cruder - that a man expects to have sex with the recipient of the fur coat. But I don't know, and I don't know if the character would say something quite so blatant...

      Delete

Post a Comment