Christmas Day: Going to Church



Christmas Day

Christmas Day – The Family Sitting

by J Meade Falkner

(born 1858, died 1932)


 
In the days of Caesar Augustus
There went forth this decree:
Si quis rectus et justus
Liveth in Galilee,
Let him go up to Jerusalem
And pay his scot to me.


There are passed one after the other
Christmases fifty-three,
Since I sat here with my mother
And heard the great decree:
How they went up to Jerusalem
Out of Galilee.


They have passed one after the other;
Father and mother died,
Brother and sister and brother
Taken and sanctified.
I am left alone in the sitting,
With none to sit beside.


On the fly-leaves of these old prayer-books
The childish writings fade,
Which show that once they were their books
In the days when prayer was made
For other kings and princesses,
William and Adelaide.


The pillars are twisted with holly,
And the font is wreathed with yew,
Christ forgive me for folly,
Youth’s lapses — not a few,
For the hardness of my middle life,
For age’s fretful view.


Cotton-wool letters on scarlet,
All the ancient lore,
Tell how the chieftains starlit
To Bethlehem came to adore;
To hail Him King in the manger,
Wonderful, Counsellor.


The bells ring out in the steeple
The gladness of erstwhile,
And the children of other people
Are walking up the aisle;
They brush my elbow in passing,
Some turn to give me a smile.


Is the almond-blossom bitter?
Is the grasshopper heavy to bear?
Christ make me happier, fitter
To go to my own over there:
Jerusalem the Golden,
What bliss beyond compare!


My Lord, where I have offended
Do Thou forgive it me.
That so when, all being ended,
I hear Thy last decree,
I may go up to Jerusalem
Out of Galilee.






A HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL BLOG READERS

 
J Meade Falkner is better known for his novels, but this poem was chosen by Philip Larkin for his anthology, The Oxford Book of 20th Century Verse.


The picture is from the Geograph Project, and is by Mike Pennington. The caption is: 'Watchnight service, Christmas Eve, Old Rattray. Fog wreathes the church; inside the watchnight service has begun. Listen carefully - you may be able to hear the sleigh bells above the chorus of Silent Night.'

















Comments

  1. Moira, a very Merry Christmas to you and your family! I hope you have a wonderful holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you and yours Prashant, have a great holiday.

      Delete
  2. Oh, that's a lovely poem, Moira, and really evokes the feeling of looking back on youth, all woven into the Christmas story. Best wishes to you and yours for a wonderful Christmas, and may 2016 bring you all that is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you Margot, and looking forward to another happy year of reading and blogging.

      Delete
  3. That's lovely, Moira. Happy Christmas to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Christmas to you and yours, Chrissie, and here's to a great 2016 for all of us.

      Delete
  4. I was going to make this comment on your previous post, but I will make it here... I have only gone to churches for funerals and weddings in recent years. But Christmas time is when I would visit a church, if I had someone to share it with. Christmas brings out my love of mankind and I love Christmas music, any kind.

    A happy Christmas to you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Church really does the trick at Christmas. Hope you and yours have a great celebration Tracy.

      Delete
  5. Moira: Merry Christmas! Our family went to 10:00 Mass last night at Pius X church in Calgary. It was about -15C with a light dusting of fresh snow so there was a winter crunch to walking from the van to church. Christmas Eve is my favourite church service of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Christmas to you and Sharon, Bill. It sounds like you have the picture-perfect Christmas over there. We went to Midnight Mass, but it was very dull weather, nothing special.

      Delete
  6. Merry Christmas, Moira -- you put me on to J. Meade Falkner's Nebuly Coat, which I read back in January: delightful (and also full of rather promising church imagery). I hope that your Christmas Day was filled with delights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very happy Christmas to you and yours Vicki, have a great celebration. Yes, Nebuly Coat an all-round good thing.

      Delete

Post a Comment