The Spoils of Poynton by Henry James
published 1896/7
Fleda Vetch. How would you picture this character?
In a Patricia Wentworth book she would be one of
those minxy girls with dark hair, flashing eyes, bright red nails and a talent
for stealing other girls’ boyfriends.
In an Angela Brazil school story she would be the
Sneak of the Fourth Form.
In Henry James she is a splendid heroine. Where DID
he get that name from? I once wrote a whole article for the Guardian about what
I considered to be poor name choices for fictional characters,
Guardian
Books Blog: Complaints about Characters' Names
and I am sorry I did not include her. (Even Veda Fletch
would be better)
Wherever it cam from: in The Spoils of Poynton she is a great friend of the much
older Mrs Gereth, who is recently widowed and has to give up her home to her
son.
We looked at Dower Houses recently,
Do you even know what a Dower House is?
and I mentioned this book, which contains an archetypal
version. I reported then that Mrs Gereth's son says this about her new home:
It wasn’t a place like Poynton — what dower-house ever was? — but it was an awfully jolly little place.
Yeah, right, trouble coming.
Mrs G and her husband spent their married lives collecting
wonderful works of art from all over Europe, and placing them perfectly in
their beautiful house. Everything there is the best of its kind, and
arranged in the correct places.
Now she has to leave, and she wants to take the goodies
with her: partly because her son Owen is going to marry a young woman called
Mona. Mrs G thinks Mona is awful, coarse, vulgar, has no taste, will have no
appreciation of the beauty of Poynton, and so does not deserve to live there.
[very slight spoilers to follow, about the progress of the
plot, though no final outcomes]
There is no element of compromise in all this. Mrs G does
not want to just choose a few things: she wants everything (the comparative
sizes of the two houses are hard to imagine – how would they fit?). Mona shows
appreciation of nothing but monetary value, and tells her fiancé that he must stand firm
and let nothing leave the house.
Fleda is used as a go-between in these entrenched
positions, with the highly predictable extra possibility that maybe she will
fall in love with Owen and he with her.
Mrs G would be delighted if Owen married Fleda, and would
be happy for the good things,The Spoils, to stay under Fleda’s guardianship.
Well! This is quite the setup, and I was riveted. I read
the book many years ago (and btw you will see it referred to as a novella, but
it is not, it is a full-scale book, on
the short side but still a novel: modern versions run to 166 pp, whereas my old
edition had more than 300pp). I had a vague memory of how it would go, but not
enough to spoiler it, and I was breathless with interest and excitement as the
events unfolded. I was reading it at the same time as a classic Golden Age
murder story, and Poynton was far more compelling and unputdownable. I cared
much less who did the murder than who was going to get the artworks.
Incidentally Mrs Gereth has a first name, Adela, but that
is revealed early in the book and never used again by anyone. (Same name as a
Dower House widow in a Charlotte M Yonge book, see earlier post)
The Spoils of Poynton was
very thought-provoking: Mrs Gereth is wholly unreasonable in one way, and there
is some idea that the house is a family property, everything must stay
together. But, she chose the items, did the research, went collecting with her
husband, does she really have no moral
or legal right to anything?
And what about the characters of the other players? Owen,
dismissed by his mother as stupid, is far from that. Mona is something of a
blank. Fleda you feel shouldn’t have been quite so Henry James-ian, she would
have got on better. It’s a book that for sure stays in the mind and gives you
to think.
And as ever, James can surprise you by being funny. When Mrs
G has taken precipitate and illicit action, there is a visitor, who turns out
to be her son to her surprise:
“I expected on the whole a
solicitor’s clerk.”
Fleda didn’t mention that she herself had expected on the whole a pair of constables.
And bizarre descriptions of falling in love, in this case what
in a lesser author would be seen as very mixed metaphors indeed:
With the click of a spring, he
saw. He had cleared the high wall at a bound; they were together without a
veil. She had not a shred of a secret left; it was as if a whirlwind had come
and gone, laying low the great false
front that she had built up stone by
stone.
*** see also below
Edith Wharton (a great friend of
Henry James) said in her memoir A Backward Glance that she had once, at
dinner, met an interesting man who had turned out to be Harry Cust, a
well-known man of letters and man about town of the day. They had a discussion
about:
the most famous kisses in
literature, and [I produced] as my crowning effect, and to my neighbour’s great
admiration, the kiss on the stairs in "The Spoils of Poynton” (which I
have always thought one of the most moving love-scenes in fiction)…
There are claims that Wharton got it wrong, because it
isn’t a kiss in the usual sense of the word. But please read this:
“You mustn't break faith.
Anything is better than that. You must at any rate be utterly sure. She must
love you — how can she help it ? I wouldn’t give you up ! ” said Fleda. She
spoke in broken bits, panting out her words.
“The great thing is to keep faith. Where is a man if he doesn’t? If he
doesn’t he may be so cruel. So cruel, so cruel, so cruel!” Fleda repeated. “I
couldn’t have a hand in that, you know : that’s my position— that’s mine. You
offered her marriage: it’s a tremendous thing for her.” Then looking at him
another moment, “I wouldn’t give you up!” she said again. He still
had hold of her arm; she took in his blank alarm.
With a quick dip of her face
she reached his hand with her lips, pressing them to the back of it with a
force that doubled the force of her words. ‘Never, never, never!” she cried; and before he could succeed in seizing her she had turned and,
scrambling up the stairs, got away from him…
Can anyone say that that is not the most wonderful romantic
scene, with its own style of kiss?
A truly enjoyable book, on many levels.
Fashions from the 1890s: they truly looked like James
women: you can assign them to Fleda, Mrs Gereth, Mona and her mother, as you
choose… Though I am clear which one I think is Mona.
American
fashion plates - NYPL Digital Collections
Pearls and Lace and Doves - "I see myself"
I said this:
here is a description of the first meeting of Kate Croy and
Merton Densher:
She had observed a ladder against a garden-wall and had
trusted herself so to climb it as to be able to see over into the probable
garden on the other side. On reaching the top she had found herself face to
face with a gentleman engaged in a like calculation at the same moment, and the
two enquirers had remained confronted on their ladders.
The couple have already been shown to be meeting in gardens
all the time, so this reader, at least, had to go over this several times to
check it was actually symbolic (and an arresting image all the same).




I don’t get on that well with late Henry James for the most part, but this is one of my favourites of his, full of tension and suspense as you suggest, though also exasperating - there clearly should be room for a compromise to be reached but neither side will budge an inch. Heads need to be banged together!
ReplyDeleteFleda Vetch – he must have had his reasons for choosing the names but it’s hard to imagine what they were. Fleda could be a shorter version of one of those Anglo-Saxon names that were revived in the 19th century - Ǽlfleda perhaps? It works much better as an Angela Brazil Mean Girl name.
The girl in blue with crimson trim is so elegant, with the exception of what appear at first glance to be fuzzy crimson Mickey Mouse ears.
Sovay
'A kiss is still a kiss ...' I certainly think this counts. And now, Moira, I am just going to have to reread this, especially as I can't remember how it finishes - or, no, I think I do have an inkling, so will have to see if I am right. If so it has something in common with a novel that couldn't be more different. Will let you know. As if I didn't have enough to do ... Chrissie. Oh and isn't it a good title? Spoils is the perfect word.
ReplyDeleteI bought a copy years ago in a second hand bookshop in St Davids but never read it. Clearly I should. I'm no gardener but I remember that vetch is a plant and AI tells me it had 'long, twining stems with delicate tendrils and small pink, purple, or blue-violet pea-like flowers'. There is Common Vetch and Tufted Vetch. And the Latin for vetch is Vicia, which sounds like a perfect name for a character in a novel.
ReplyDeleteThis post has brightened my day, and the clothes are great. Fleda has always been Gemma Jones for me, because I saw the BBC dramatisation before reading the novel (it's on the Internet Archive). But yes, such a curious name.
ReplyDeleteFleda - what a name, Moira! On to the book, though... it does sound like a great story, and as you say, the setup is terrific. Mrs. Gereth sounds like a wonderfully strong-but-unlikeable character, too. All the elements here of a great story!
ReplyDelete