DOWER HOUSES IN LITERATURE
Sometimes when I do a theme post, I think 'will anyone else care?' But - I can’t be the only person who is intrigued by the idea of Dower Houses, and the role they play in fiction. There’s something about the name that implies off-beat glamour, louche poshos, beautiful architecture, mysteries & secrets.
Roughly speaking, the Dower House is where the widow of a
titled gent goes, when her son takes over the title and the big house. She will
have brought her dowry (the two words are related) to the marriage, and there
will have been a settlement at the time of her wedding. Her father’s lawyers and her husband’s (or her
father-in-law’s) lawyers will have reached an agreement as to how she will live
if widowed: an income, and a place to live, which would normally be the Dower
House – a separate much smaller house on the edge of the estate is the ideal. If
there is no widow, the house can be used for other purposes (smuggling, crime –
we’ll be coming to that) until a claimant pops up. A grown-up son waiting to
inherit might live a semi-independent life there, later to swap with his
mother.
The widow will then be the Dowager Duchess as it might be –
though, interesting obscure fact**, only when her son is married and there is a
new duchess. The widow remains a duchess until automatically pushed out by her
daughter-in-law.
** interesting to me, anyway – I wrote a book on etiquette
and like to know the detailed lives of the posh people that I, on the whole,
despise.
If you watched the TV series Downton Abbey, Maggie Smith’s
character is the Dowager Countess of Grantham, and lives in a Dower House on
the edge of the estate.
No doubt some widows did not want to move out, and felt
they’d lost their place in life, but you might also expect that moving to a
small elegant house, easy-to-run, with a handful of servants and plenty of time
to go round interfering in local matters and giving unwanted advice – well, it must
have been nice and restful? It seems to have been obligatory to make your
daughter-in-law’s life a misery of course, one way or another.
There is also an idea that you could choose some of the
‘nice things’ from the big house to furnish your new home – without the trouble
of having the huge hideous heirloom pieces the new owners are stuck with.
A version of this is
key to the plot of Henry James’ The Spoils of Poynton – which in turn
plays a small but important role in Elizabeth
Taylor’s In a A Summer Season. (Kate’s former husband loved
the book: her new husband clangingly doesn’t recognize a reference to it.) In
Poynton, the dower house seems to be some distance from the Big house, a
maternal aunt’s bequest, not part of the main property, and her son thinks
this:
It wasn’t a place like Poynton
— what dower-house ever was? — but it was an awfully jolly little place.
Yeah, right, trouble coming. I will do a separate post on
this book.
Meanwhile in Lissa Evans’ most recent book for adults (yes watch out - there's a children's book coming from her soon...)
The
Divine Lissa Evans and her Small Bomb at Dimperley
--there is a Dower Wing (‘originally somewhat severe in aspect until the addition of a lavish High Victorian Gothic façade’) to the Tudor manor house and a tunnel between that and the kitchen. The family moves there when the building is commandeered during WW2. The tunnel is haunted (possibly explicably…) but not otherwise crime-related.
I was reminded of all this when I did a post earlier this
year on
The
Unknown Ajax by Georgette Heyer
Which features an excellent Dower House – an ancestor
imprisoned his wife there, and then murdered her by throwing her out of the
window. Her ghost still walks nearby. But that’s just the start of it – it
seems clear that certain people are hoping that the ghosts will keep people
from looking too closely at the Dower House, because….
… the Heyer book sowed the seeds for this particular (and
very popular) post. The Dower House is being used by smugglers to hide their
cargoes, and there is even a secret underground tunnel.
Heyer was not the only author to see the possibilities.
The
Dower House Mystery by Patricia Wentworth is
nicely upfront about it. This is a non-Miss-Silver book, and involves a
woman who can live in a Dower House for nothing, but only if she stays there for
six monhs and not a moment less. It is reported to be haunted…and off we go. Someone
or some thing, real or supernatural, is set on making life uncomfortable in the
house. (and credit of course to the Dean St Press for reprinting this one)
Annabel Davis-Goff wrote
three wonderful books about impoverished Irish aristocracy through the 20th
century
This
Cold Country by Annabel Davis-Goff
And one is called The Dower House – that just
happens to be a key setting in the book – ADG tells a great story that doesn’t
involve smuggling and crime.
Another Irish Dower House features in A Brush with Death,
one of Sheila Pim’s wonderful 1950s-ish
murder stories – Pim being one of my best found authors of recent years (thank
you Chrissie)
More
Irish murder, More Sheila Pim
In Enid Blyton’s Rockingdown Mystery
Enid
Blyton, mystery vs adventure, Rock and Rill
the usual busybody children are actually staying in a Dower
House for a holiday, and it is the now deserted big house where there are
sinister goings on.
This from my post: the children are told
‘there’s rooms there still full of furniture, left by the
last owner – my they’ll be full of moths and spiders. A strange, creepy place I
wouldn’t go into, not if you paid me a thousand pounds.’
The reaction is: ‘This sounded pleasantly eerie. The three children at once made up their minds to do a bit of snooping that very day.’ I love it that the children have zero qualms about breaking into the weird old house and making free of it – neither moral qualms nor a sense of self-preservation.
The oddly-named That Stick by Charlotte M Yonge is
one of her lesser-known works. There is a complicated family, where an outsider
unexpectedly inherits title and House (similar to the plot of Unknown Ajax,
which it does not otherwise resemble – except for the lesson that people should
not judge the heir before they meet him). The widow of the previous heir lives
in the Dower House - she is one of those
characters that CMY seems to admire, but not that appealing to a modern reader.
Her name is Adela, which is also the first name of the widow in Spoils of Poynton,
above.
There are no dower houses in Jane Austen – but I did
uncover a quite unexpected, and I think relatively unknown, short story by Margaret
Drabble, produced originally for a Jane Austen magazine:
The Dower House at Kellynch: a Somerset Romance
– by Margaret Drabble
(in Persuasions Issue
15 1993)
It has a contemporary setting, with familiar names:
Bill Elliot has let out the big house, Kellynch, and is
‘now camping out in the Dower House’. Narrator Emma Watson - who gets out the
baronetage to find out about the Elliots of Kellynch Hall - says:
‘I had never seen anything so
beautiful in my life. Pink peeling walls, grey-yellow lichen-encrusted stone,
single white roses, white doves.’
[published in collection called A day in the life of a smiling woman 1993]
There’s a GA detective story featuring a Dower House – The Ghost Party by Henrietta Clandon, which will have its own post soon, as will the Henry James book. Has anyone got any Dower Houses to add, or thoughts on the whole scenario?
Pictures of some rather attractive-looking real-life Dower Houses:
The
17th century Dower House in Tintinhull, Somerset | Flickr
Courtesy of photographer Angus Kirk
Byfleet Manor House (geograph 3492825) (cropped and squared up) - Dower house - Wikipedia photo by Mark Percy
Dean
Dower House - Dower house - Wikipedia By Rosser1954 Roger Griffith - Own work,
Public Domain,


_(cropped_and_squared_up).jpg)
Great topic! I too like a dower house and the tension between the present Duchess and the Dowager Duchess is such a great set-up for a novel. Can't at the moment think of anything to add to your comprehensive list. Chrissie
ReplyDeleteYes it's a prospect full of possibilities for any self-respecting writer about the upper classes
DeleteThis is a really interesting aspect of architecture, construction, and social structure as well, Moira! I've read about dower houses in several books (but you've mentioned far more than I could think of!), and I've always had a similar question to the one you bring up. How did the dowager duchess (or countess, etc.) feel about moving to the dower house when it was her time to do so? Of course, at the time, in a lot of ways it didn't really matter what she thought, but I still wonder about that. Trust you to come up with such a fascinating topic.
ReplyDeleteI suppose the dowager's reactions would depend a lot on her personality. If she disliked running a Big House it could be a relief to move to a smaller place with only a few servants. On the other hand, if she had enjoyed being in control of the Big House, as an ego boost or just a stimulating challenge, she'd probably not like being shunted off to the side. And of course the relationship with the DIL would have been important. It wouldn't necessarily be adversarial although the Big Bad MIL trope will probably never die--The Force is strong in that one.
DeleteThe two different possible reactions ( delighted to go, hate losing position) mean it is an endlessly fascinating guessing game
DeleteThe nature of the individual Dower House may also be relevant to the dowager’s reactions: a well-maintained Inigo Jones gem is one thing; a dank medieval manor house, barely updated since the family moved out to their shiny new Palladian mansion c. 1760, may be quite another …
DeleteSovay
Yes indeed. I have been much enjoying Spoils of Poynton in this regard...
DeleteAnd of course DLS gave Wimsey's family the best one
Even a fine architectural specimen might be an uncomfortable place to live. It probably didn't come with "mod cons" and there might be some resistance to remodeling the work of Inigo Jones, especially with a conservative owner like Gerald--who might have reacted to renovations in the same way as Lord Pomfret did!
DeleteIf the Dowager Duchess wanted mod cons, I think I'd back her to win that battle!
DeleteSovay
Yes, I think she would get her way. Probably easier to get improvements through on a smaller house, you could claim it was a small charge on the estate....
DeleteJust curious, do we ever read about dowagers of other ranks beside duchess? The definition doesn't specify duchesses, although Google AI has Dame Maggie as the illustration for the term! (Incidentally the word also has the meaning of a proud and haughty older woman. A libel against the DD of Denver!) I've seen other dowager ranks mentioned but don't remember any of them figuring in a story.
ReplyDeleteGood question. Definitely Dukes and Counts have them. I don't think it arises in other ranks of life.
DeleteQueen dowagers and empress dowagers were mentioned on the page where I looked up the word. (Apparently the late Queen Mother was a dowager, as was Queen Mary after King George died. But I haven't seen them written about, perhaps because they're a little too rarified for mysteries?
DeleteEmpress dowagers are a Chinese thing I believe. Widowed queens are technically dowagers, but most recently known as The Queen Mother, which sounds so much more matey, doesn't it?
DeleteNow, here's a question: if Camilla outlives Charles, she surely won't be Queen Mother, because she isn't William's mother. Maybe dowager will be revived for her.
You'd think there would be Dowager Marchionesses as that rank comes between Duke and Count. You can have Dowager Viscountesses. Basically, it can be applied to anyone who derived a title or property from their deceased spouse.
DeleteI went down a rabbit hole and in some older monarchies king-consorts could be dowagers if their reigning queen died before them, like Ferdinand II of Aragon who was the Dowager King-Consort of Castille after Queen Isabella I died
Yes, you'd think everyone could be one technically, but some are well to the fore...
DeleteThat is fascinating about the male dowagers, last thing I was expecting.
Interesting! So if Victoria had died before Albert, would Albert have been a Dowager ?
DeleteSovay
Oh this is a solid gold idea! you should write an alt-hist version, just to use this notion
DeleteI checked out Ferdinand II's Wikipedia page (for some reason I hadn't imagined him looking like he did) to see if he was still exercising power in Castile as Dowager - answer is that he shouldn't have been, but was - I found myself getting quite indignant on behalf of his unfortunate daughter, the nominal Queen of Castile, who has gone down in history as Juana la Loca alias Joan the Mad but may well not have been mad at all, just isolated, bullied and manipulated by the men around her.
DeleteWhich is a bit of a side issue. There's definitely a novel waiting to be written about the relationship between Albert, Dowager Prince Consort, and Bertie/Edward VII after Victoria's death.
Sovay
Yes, I've always been fascinated by that tranche of the Spanish Royal family, and as ever the absence of real info about the thoughts and inner life of the women. Joan the Mad - what a way to go down in history.
DeleteAlt-history aside, titled widowers haven't been called dowagers in Britain at least, apparently because men didn't have to bring a dowry to a marriage. In Prince Albert's case, there wasn't a new Prince Consort so he would have kept that title. If one of the daughters had become queen and had a Prince Consort of her own, maybe the rules would've been changed? Or a new designation would have been created? Dowager is definitely associated with females, and Prince Albert probably would've been insulted by that name, as if he were being called "an old woman"!
DeleteYep, Albert was not King but the Prince Consort (much like Philip). If either had become King and ruled alongside Victoria or Elizabeth in their own right as a co-ruler, and had then survived their wives, they would probably technically have become Dowager Kings.
DeleteWilliam and Mary is an interesting one as I think they both had a claim to the British throne (Mary's the stronger claim as evidenced by her sister succeeding William III), so neither would have become Dowager King/Queen after the others death.
I was just wondering about William and Mary. Apart from them there are so few real reigning queens in UK history that I suppose it's not surprising that the problem of a surviving widower hasn't come up much!
DeleteThe settlement negotiated by the marriage parties had to provide both for the (eventual) widow and the heir. Or not. "On the following day, next to everyone's relief, Mrs Grant left the Cow and Sickle to go and stay with her dull friend Lady Norton, for the last two years a widow whose jointure was the despair of the nephew who inherited the title." Lady Norton has a face like a well-bred horse and a passion for gardening that bores even her fellow aristocrats and gentry, not easy to do in Barsetshire. (Angela Thirkell, "The Brandons") -- your blogfriend, Trollopian
ReplyDeleteJointure! Another great word relating to upmarket widows.
DeletePresumably the relationship isn''t helped when it isn't even her own son who has inherited but, as in this case, a nephew
I’ve read somewhere about an aristocratic widow having taken steps to compound for her jointure, with the implication that this is a good and sensible thing to do, but I can’t find out what the phrase means! A jointure seems to be a set income for life from the estate, so maybe compounding for it means she would give up that right in return for a single lump sum to invest as she chose, rather than relying on the estate remaining viable and profitable in uncertain times. But I don’t know – does anyone else have any ideas?
DeleteSovay
Compounding your jointure is not something I am familiar with, but I think it sounds as though it must be as you describe. Anyone?
DeleteI finally remembered who it was that compounded for her jointure – Molly Jeavons, Dowager Marchioness of Sleaford (though I’m pretty sure she’s never referred to as such) in Anthony Powell’s Dance to the Music of Time. No Dower House on the estate for her – she lives a highly disorganised life in London. The comment about her finances comes after her death so I think my conjecture is right – jointure payments from the Sleaford estate would presumably have stopped with her death but a lump sum in lieu could be passed down to her husband.
DeleteSovay
The support of a dowager could be a real drain on an estate if the lady lived to a ripe old age. I suppose that is why Lady Norton's nephew felt the way he did about her jointure. BTW was Lady Norton called the Bane of Barsetshire in Thirkell's books, or did I read the term elsewhere. The old gal was certainly dreaded by one and all!
DeleteLady Norton rings a bell but I can't remember whether she was the Bane of Barsetshire - I think there were probably many contenders for that title!
DeleteI guess deciding what to do about one's jointure was a bit like deciding whether to buy an annuity - does one assume one will live long enough to get the best value from the annual payments? Lady Molly lives such a chaotic, hand-to-mouth existence that everyone's surprised to find she's given serious thought to the matter, but she's married to a man who hasn't a hope of making a living for himself so to secure his future it would make sense to take the lump sum, even though she's relatively young and in good health and in theory should outlive him (but she's killed in the Blitz).
Back to Dower Houses - if a Dowager re-marries, does she have to vacate the Dower House? Or can she move her new husband in?
Sovay
When I first read the Powell books I wouldn't have been alert at all to the gradations of the titles and details of jointures! Lost innocence now. I always thought At Lady Molly's was such an excellent name for a book, and her chaotic life made for great drama. It's the classic question about the money isn't it, always a gamble, with (quite non-aristocratic!) people in the UK wondering when to draw down their pension, take a payout....
DeleteAnnuities always a favourite feature in books.
I had never wondered about the re-marriage question until this week Sovay, and now, just like you, I am pondering it. I don't know the answer....
Was Lady Norton the Dreadful Dowager?
Where does Lord Peter Wimsey's mother live?
ReplyDeleteDid Sayers ever mention where the DD lives? I know she turns up at Gerald's home in Clouds of Witness
Delete...and some of the other books, but I don't remember if she was there permanently or not. Seems as though there must have been a Dower House at Duke's Denver, whether she lived there or not. My own opinion is that she did, only because living with Gerald's wife didn't sound like a real option! I have a vague impression that she had a London house of her own as well?
DeleteAnother excellent question! You'd think there must be a dower house at Duke's Denver - but she obviously does have a London house. At the beginning of Busman's Honeymoon she is very London-centred.
DeleteI don’t remember which book, but isn’t there a bit where Lord Peter says Duke’s Denver isn’t that impressive architecturally, apart from the Dower House, which is “faultless Inigo Jones”? That phrase stuck, though I’ve forgotten everything else! I also wondered if Miss Marple’s friend Dolly Bantry had moved into a Dower House after her husband’s death, but no - it was the East Lodge (it’s in The Mirror Crack’d). Zoe
DeleteImpressed by your memory! It sounds about right.
DeleteWell East Lodge must have been a form of Dower House - though am I right in saying they had no children and sold off the house, so not quite the same. Now trying to remember about the similarly placed woman in Dead Man's Folly...
The Dower House seems to be an aristocratic preserve so I don’t think the Bantrys would ever have been grand enough for one – they’re gentry rather than aristos. I don’t think a lodge would generally have been regarded as a dower house equivalent either – traditionally lodges provided basic and often very cramped and inconvenient accommodation for a working-class family (perhaps the family of one of the gardeners) who lived there rent-free in return for being permanently on call to open and close the gates to the drive for the poshos. Dolly Bantry’s lodge probably needed quite a bit of extension and re-modelling before it was fit for her to move into.
DeleteSovay
Was the Small House at Allington a Dower House? I'd think that Trollope would have had some Dower Houses scattered throughout his books.
Delete@Sovay You’re exactly right about the Bantrys and their lodge, on every point! After the Colonel’s death, Mrs sells the Hall and “retained for herself what had been the East Lodge, a charming porticoed little building replete with inconvenience, where even a gardener had refused to live. Mrs. Bantry had added to it the essentials of modern life, a built-on kitchen of the latest type, a new water supply from the main, electricity, and a bathroom. This had all cost her a great deal, but not nearly so much as an attempt to live at Gossington Hall would have done.” If all those are new additions, gardeners were clearly right to refuse to live in it. Zoë
DeleteMarty: The Small House is never described as a dower house, but I'm sure you are right and there must be others in Trollope - I will be keeping an eye out.
DeleteSovay and Zoe: it obviously wasn't a dower house originally, but I think it becomes one when it is used as such.... You don't have to be titled...
Busman's Honeymoon.
Delete"I suppose it's a mile from your gate to the front door?"
"Just about."
"And do you keep deer in the park?"
"We do."
"And peacocks on the terrace?"
"I'm afraid so. All the story-book things."
At the far end of the avenue, the great house loomed grey against the sunlight--a long Palladian front, its windows still asleep, and behind it the chimneys and turrets of rambling wings and odd, fantastic sprouts of architectural fancy.
"It's not very old," said Peter, apologetically, as they turned away, leaving the house on their left. "Nothing before Queen Elizabeth. No donjon keep. No moat. The castle fell down a good many years ago, I'm thankful to say. But we've got specimens of all the bad periods since then and one or two of the good ones. And the Dower House is impeccable Inigo Jones."
Oh thank you, perfect. And exactly what you expect DLS to give the Denvers....
DeleteA bas les aristos!
I looked up the Small House at Allington and found that Trollope did say that the squire's widowed mother had lived there until her death, when the squire had offered it to Mrs Dale.
DeleteThat makes it a dower house in my view, even if he never uses the words. We will keep looking out for it....
DeleteThe definition seems to be getting a bit fuzzy though, and I am in nit-picky mode – what distinguishes a Dower House from a house that the landowner makes available to random relatives (sometimes the relict of his predecessor, sometimes not) as and when he feels like it? The latter seems to be what’s happening in The Small House at Allington, and in eg Patricia Wentworth’s The Watersplash (where the previous landowner has let his sister-in-law move into a spare cottage, and his heir now wants her and her multitude of cats out).
DeleteSo how does a Dower House differ from this – is there any kind of legal definition? Or is it a Dower House because it's set down in the marriage settlement that the landowner’s widow is entitled to this specific property when her husband dies? Or can she choose (or be offered) any available property, which then becomes a Dower House?
Sovay
Don't know for sure, but with the Dower House being tied up with the dowry, I'd suspect that it's in the marriage settlement in order to make sure the bride won't be thrown out in the cold when her husband dies. If there's no longer a dowager, as in Allington, I'd assume it's still part of the estate and the landowner can do as he wants with it. The Squire of Allington was unmarried, so there wouldn't be another dowager coming along very soon (barring accidents to squires). I suppose a widow could turn down the house if she wanted, but she'd need some way of supporting herself, elsewhere. I think she would lose the house if she remarried, too.
DeleteI think there's two things, the legal settlement and what you call the house where she tips up. And then some will be called The Dower House, even when they are not (or not always).
DeleteI think the modern version is the Granny Flat: you might build or adapt your house to have an extra apartment. when Granny lives there it's a granny flat, when your returning student 20-something lives there it isn't. Though of course that would usually NOT be in any way connected with granny's original marital home.
Not a granny flat in the US presumably, though I'm sure you have them. Annexe?
There's a concept called (I think) Elderhome, almost like a tiny house in the backyard, where an elderly person can keep her independence but still be close to relatives. Of course it's only for well-to-do folks with backyards!
DeleteWell that sounds nice - if, as you sa,y, you can afford it
DeleteI'm going to be pedantic about the difference between dowry and dower, though they do both have to do with a wife's money. Dowry is what the bride brings to the marriage from her own family, and dower is what the husband has to provide for his widow. If it was not otherwise specified at the time of marriage ("at the church door," in the Wife of Bath's phrase), it was 1/3 of his lands/worldly goods, for her lifetime only, not to be alienated. A widow's second husband might live there with her, and even take on the administration of the land, but could not claim in his own right. Estates of short-lived men married to long-lived women could become terribly encumbered by multiple generations of widows living on one-third or more of their dead husbands' estates, while their oldest sons twiddled their thumbs or had to find jobs because they couldn't become landowners while Grandmamma was alive. Dowries often went toward providing dowries for daughters, in their turn, or sometimes providing lands for younger sons (in the absence of daughters).
DeleteThanks for the useful info Dame E.. Very interesting.
DeleteOh, and in the US the granny flat is a mother-in-law apartment.
DeleteI knew there must be a phrase for it! Thanks
DeleteWell. Yes. I do know. I've read many and many an English novel of every stamp through many years, and am familiar with The Dower House. And I'm with you, Moira. It sounds like the ideal life to retire to after a long marriage (perhaps to some god-awful duke or earl who indulged in racing, gambling and womanizing), where the rent is free and the staff is faithful and the duties are only as one chooses.
ReplyDeleteNow, my favourite encounter with a literary dower house? A true tale, from Daphne du Maurier's memoirs.
In her youth (adolescence perhaps?) on a visit to Cornwall, she happens to come across an intriguing estate called Menabilly. The owners being absent, she admits to trespassing and peeking in the windows, and then buying a picture postcard of the house at the local shop.
Scene 2: Then she writes Rebecca. Yes, Menabilly becomes Manderley.
Scene 3: Years later, she writes to the absent owner, and arranges to live there herself, with her family, on a 25 year lease.
Scene 4: 25 years later. The lease is up, the owner returns, and the widowed Daphne then buys (or leases?) the Dower House, where she lives out the rest of her life.
I find that all so satisfying. (I think I have all the details right; my library is in the city, and I am not. I'm at the cottage on the dock with laptop and books and notepads and drawing supplies and coffee. Oh, the hardship....)
Oh yes, I wouldn't have remembered it was the dower house she moved to, though the outlines would be familiar to me. I am just as fascinated as you are by her life...
DeleteIn D E Stevenson's book Kate Hardy, the writer-heroine buys a Dower House near a country village in order to have some peace and quiet, which of course isn't exactly what she finds there!
ReplyDeleteThat is SO Stevenson, I should have thought to look in her works!
DeleteOh yes, of course I should have remembered that too. Thanks, Marty.
DeleteMight have to add that one to the list....
DeleteHere Lies Gloria Mundy by Gladys Mitchell has a burnt-down Dower House as a crime scene, or at least the resting place of a corpse.
ReplyDeleteGreat addition - I haven't got to that one yet, I will look out for it.
DeleteI agree with Christine, what a great topic!
ReplyDeleteMy first answer is yes, I know what a dower house, although I appreciated your description. But I have often had questions over the years when dower houses are featured in a mystery, so all of this is very helpful.
However the only example I could find was the dower house used in Barbara Pym's A Brush with Death, which you have already noted in your post. There are still two of the books in that series that I have not read.
Yes, isn't it funny the corners of life you uncover when you read a lot of mysteries?
DeleteI am glad you are enjoying Sheila Pim (Barbara Pym is a different writer! Speaking as someone who last week described my post as being about the book 'Vera by Laura Caspary', aargh)
AARGH!! I confuse names like that all the time. Well, I should be reading more Barbara Pym books too. I have only read Some Tame Gazelle and I have two others on my shelves.
DeleteNo judgement round here! I'm definitely getting worse, both getting names wrong, and also being unable to summon a name from my mind.
DeleteThere's also Miss Pym Disposes just to confuse things
There’s a Dower House in Angela Thirkell’s Pomfret Towers - on a long lease to the architect father of one of the main characters, Alice Barton. Mr Barton has made a lot of improvements to the house and grounds at his own expense, and clearly doesn’t expect to be ousted for the benefit of any future Dowager Countess (and in fact he’s probably fairly safe for now as the current Countess prefers to live in Italy). One of his major improvements is central heating, which Lord Pomfret strongly disapproves of on principle (Lord P secretly hopes that the heating will develop a fault and burn the house to the ground along with its occupants, thus serving them right for being so un-English as to want to live in a warm house).
ReplyDeleteThe house doesn’t seem to be on the Pomfret Towers estate – it’s on the outskirts of the local small town and is called Mellings, which is presumably the name of Lord Pomfret’s secondary estate, since Lord Mellings is also the courtesy title of the oldest son of the family.
Sovay
Thanks for that addition! Yes, they don't have to be on the estate, the arrangements would be whatever suited - or whatever suited some long-gone ancestor
DeleteI always liked the central heating at Alconleigh in the Mitford books - installed at enormous expense and trouble, and all the heat concentrated in the Hons/Linen Cupboard
I remember reading an article about / interview with Deborah, Duchess of Devonshire (née Mitford) when she had been widowed and moved to the Dower house at Chatsworth. She said it was such a relief, not least because of the dogs. Apparently it's virtually impossible to housetrain dogs in a palatial home. It's so big that they never get the hang of what is inside and outside and consequently do what they need to do whenever and wherever they feel like it. This is a detail from the lives of posh people that I have never been able to forget.
ReplyDeleteYes, what an interesting anecdote. I was thinking of her: I have heard before that she liked moving to the dower house. Also waiting for a tell-all biography of her...
Delete..
That remark about the dogs lets me feel a kind of kinship with the Duchess!
DeleteVery Mitford. I am not a dog-lover so it doesn't work for me...
DeleteMarty: Because you too live in a palatial home? :-) I don't, but I have had dogs and her remark immediately made perfect sense to me. And made me decide on the spot that if I ever came to live in a house like that, I would NOT have dogs. Large rooms that are icy cold in winter is one thing, but ditto plus dog poo - not to mention the terrible black stains that dog pee makes on hardwood floors - is just too much.
DeleteI don't have hardwood floors, and my chances of ever having a palatial home are nil! But I have had dogs that sometimes pee in the house without the excuse of not knowing the difference between indoors and out....I think I'd personally opt for the Dower House over the Big House just because I prefer coziness to lots-of-space. I suppose Dower Houses can have lots of space too, depending on how much money could be spent!
DeleteYou're not encouraging a non-dog-lover to think they are a good thing 😀😀😀
DeleteI'm with you Marty - a nice Dower House could easily be the perfect home
One thing about living in a palatial home though - you probably have staff to deal with the dog waste!
DeleteSovay
Not all dogs are naughty that way, I don't want to give them a bad name! I had one dog who would've died rather than do her business in the house. One day she had some worm medicine that physicked her while I was away, and when I got home she greeted me with the most ashamed, hang-dog look. She was a good girl.
DeleteStill not convincing me! And not only because I don't have staff 😀😀😀
DeleteI was watching an old Mary Berry series in which she visited stately homes One of them was Highclere Castle, AKA Downton Abbey, and the countess and her SEVEN dogs greeted Mary! And my first thought was, Are those doggies housebroken?
DeleteI visited Highclere Castle before it was famous for being Downton - then it was famous for being the ancestral home of the Lord Carnarvon who uncovered Tutenkhamen's tomb. They had a pleasingly amateurish display of Egyptian artefacts, well away from the main house and quite hard to find. I'm sure it all changed when it became a location curiosity, but I can tell you that back then it was all very spick and span!
DeleteGeorgette Heyer also seems a likely source for Dower Houses , and dowagers, in her Regency books. Maybe even in her mysteries, I remember a priory in one book but otherwise coming up blank.
ReplyDeleteWell Unknown Ajax has such a very good one, as above and in the earlier posts!
DeleteBut I'm sure you are right and there are some others tucked away....
Oops, my memory is very short....
DeleteThe Quiet Gentleman has an entire subplot about moving the hero's mother to the Dower House along with a particularly hideous sounding household object that everyone except the Dowager intensely dislikes.
DeleteNasty but beautiful Beau Lavenham lives in the Dower House in The Talisman Ring (which stars probably my favourite Heyer heroine Sarah Thane)
DeleteI came across a dower house reference yesterday in The Secret Pilgrim by John Le Carré (it was the radio dramatisation with Simon Russell Beale, but I presume in the book as well). A young agent who has catastrophically messed up in East Berlin flees to Scotland to stay with his cousin Stephanie who lives in a dower house. I'd associated dower houses with England but evidently they exist in Scotland too.
DeleteWell done everyone! Lots for me to look at. I have read all these books in the past but obviously not on the alert for dower houses then!
DeleteAnother Wentworth Dower House – the eponymous house in Ladies’ Bane is the dower house of the local Falconer family, but the sole survivor of the family (an elderly Miss Falconer) prefers a cottage in the village and is selling up.
DeleteThere’s a deep well in the gloomy cellars of Ladies’ Bane, which is brought to the attention of the heroine early on, and with Chekov’s Revolver in mind I took it for granted that sooner or later someone would try to throw her down it, but no-one did …
Sovay
I'm always so impressed for your memory for these details. I just looked up my blogpost on it, and though I don't mention the cellar, I do call attnetion to other items which are introduced and then come to nothing. Maybe she wasn't concentrating.
DeleteI've just been reading a non-Silver Wentworth in which the cellars are very important!
I've tried a couple of the stand-alone Wentworths, but so far I prefer Miss Silver.
DeleteSovay
I like Miss Silver better, too, but will always try one of the standalones...
DeleteTotally off-topic but I have to say RIP Dolly Parton. I don't know if she was legendary in the rest of the world, but she sure was a legend here. I don't have the figures on the number of books her program gave to children, but it was A LOT. And of course she was talented, but her generosity made her special.
ReplyDeleteYes, RIP Dolly - we need many more like her.
DeleteSovay
She was wonderful, and will be much missed. I did a post on her a while back
Deletehttps://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2024/11/dolly-parton-queen-of-everything.html
I read this online: 'Imagine being talented and beautiful and rich and famous and still the most noteworthy thing about you is how good a person you are.' Which sums it up, doesn't it?
So much information. Fantastic.
ReplyDeleteWhen I read your title, my first thought was, since Downton Abbey most people probably know. And you mentioned that, of course. But if, like me, you like classic novels, you've known it before. But, as I said, great post. Thank you.
Glad you enjoyed it! There's a wide range of readers, some will know exactly, others not - and some will have really useful info to add!
DeleteLike you. It's always interesting to read your posts.
Deletethank you!
Delete♥
Delete