Answer in the Negative by Henrietta Hamilton

 

Answer in the Negative  by Henrietta Hamilton


published 1959

 


searching for secrets in the files....


The publishers Penguin Michael Joseph are producing a new series called the Mermaid Collection: neglected works by 20th Century women authors, each introduced by a present-day writer. Excellent! What a great idea. Several of the books have featured on the blog in the past – Margaret Kennedy’s Lucy Carmichael, Helen McCloy’s Through a Glass Darkly, Clemence Dane’s A Regiment of Women. (you can use search box to find the posts)

This one looked interesting – a husband-and-wife sleuth team solving a murder in Fleet St in the 1950s. Sally and John Heldar run a bookshop, and live in a nice flat in Bloomsbury, with their child and Nanny. They are called in to help out in a picture agency: an organization providing photographs for newspapers, magazines and authors. There has been an outbreak of poison pen letters and childish tricks at the office. The trouble is directed at one particular man, Morningside, and the Heldars are set up to (initially) be embedded in the office without saying why – they are just customers looking for pictures. They watch out to see who goes into the relevant office (everybody, is the answer) and to discuss all the workers in excruciating detail. 


office staff, 1957 

As ever with poison pen, the paper used is ‘obtainable at almost any stationers’. Side note about the success of marketing: when I was much younger,  there was a very proper brand of stationery called Basildon Bond. What a superb name choice! It sounds so reliable, so upmarket, so classy. We thought it was as good as it gets. But it wasn’t really, it would be seen as quite cheap by the kind of people making judgements in this book. There was a layer below (block of unnamed paper from Woolworth’s) but any likely poison pen writer would have used it – Basildon Bond would be untraceable. I had no idea of that as a young teenager first reading detective fiction...

It is very important who went to public school and who didn’t, which we might have hoped was not current in 1959, but far from it.

I had issues with the snobbery, and Sally’s complete subjection to any male, but there was a much worse moment in the book, one I may never get over. This picture agency has been recently formed and has taken over various archives, which they are trying to combine, properly filed and searchable: these are negatives, as in the title, generally called ‘negs’. But then we are told there is a problem with one of the employees who can’t be trusted with the sorting out:

She'd never have rejected anything, and we haven’t room for anything like all of them. Most of them are so much lumber, anyway – the local grammar school hockey team in 1924, and so on.

I nearly fainted when I read this.

In a post in recent weeks:

Back from the brink, and choosing a career....

I used a picture of a High School hockey team from 1938. I was forced to choose among several pictures of hockey teams, freely available to me, creative commons licence on Flickr, difficult to choose the best. Where would I be if there had been too much of this destructive tendency? Tut.

Anyway. Soon there is some much less serious crime: a few murders. A lot of going on about the shift patterns of the staff, and who came in and out and when and why. I have a favourite crime story trope, which I call ‘How many people were in the graveyard at the time of the murder?’  In part of this case, everyone left the building to go home at the end of the working day. Then they all came back, slipping in and out, self-operating the lift, avoiding the nightwatchman. It’s hard quite to believe in it all.

The book is very much of its time: there is a story of a man working in a school who has ‘a passionate and ill-timed affair with the matron, a very young and half-trained girl’. A colleague finds out and reports this: but in the book’s terms he (the one who does the reporting) is very much in the wrong. ‘He hadn’t been to a public school, poor chap, and he was by nature a prig and a talebearer.’  I don’t think it’s only modern views that make this jaw-dropping and quite horrible.

But on the other hand, being in with the IRA is youthful high spirits, not to be taken seriously – which is indeed how things were in the 50s. Rather like having an affair with a very young girl you work with.



Sally is going undercover:

Sally removed her wedding ring, put on an old tweed coat, flat-heeled shoes, and no hat, and tried to look like a graduate type. Then she borrowed a blue notebook in which Peter [her son] had been drawing pictures, caught a bus to Fleet Street, and walked down the busy pavement to the enormous Echo building.

There is also a teddy boy, who as well as his long coat and lurid tie is wearing drainpipe trousers of pepper-and-salt tweed.

A little bit hard to imagine, but here are some to choose from:



The book was enjoyable enough, and well done to Penguin for giving it another chance. Apparently Hamilton wrote several books about Johnny and Sally, and I probably wouldn’t bother with another one, but I’m glad to have read this one.

 

Graduate School Office Staff, 1957 | Joan Richards, Mary Han… | Flickr

Student pictured during fieldwork for a social survey in S… | Flickr

Collecting books for readers in the reserve stacks, 1964 | Flickr

Comments

  1. I have this one on my kindle waiting for the right moment, so I'm glad to have some pictures to go along with it in my mind when I get there! Yes, that snobbery is quite jaw-dropping - when DL Sayers (hardly known for her red-hot socialism) put it in Murder Must Advertise in 1933, it was clear that it's meant to be an archaism that only very sensitive or old-fashioned people were still buying into...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good point - I was trying to work out when I would expect it to have been at least mocked or seen as anachronistic, and Sayers is a great counter-example. As you say, hardly a socialist, and full of her own snobberies...

      Delete
  2. I'm not knowledgeable about English social history, but was that era (late 1950's) a time when the snobbery was being challenged seriously by lower-class authors and playwrights (the "angry young men" and all that)? The presence of teddy boys seems to be an indicator (I think)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well as always (& in most places) there was a move in the other direction, plenty of fightback. But I'm interested in what was seen as acceptable.

      Delete
  3. That remark about "so much lumber" didn't come from an historian, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Efficiency! Space saving! And not a thought for someone trying to create a blogpost many years later 😀😀😀

      Delete
  4. Those comments you shared definitely made me want to cringe, Moira! The book definitely sounds as though it's of its time, no doubt about that. For me, I think it's the snobbery would keep me from really enjoying the book, although I like the premise and setup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - we're all faced with these problems when reading old-school Golden Age fiction. This one, while quite late on, is definitely in GA mode...

      Delete
  5. That top picture looks just like my new home from home, the basement of The Leeds Library.

    The book seems of its time with a vengeance! Which is interesting in itself but I'm not sure I can handle the snobbery. I note that louloureads makes a comparison withMurder Must Advertise, and what I always feel when reading that book is that it's all too easy for those in a position of superiority (including DLS herself) to dismiss the anxieties and insecurities of others that they claim to regard as equals but clearly don't.

    Didn't the "Edwardian" fashion start as a rather upper-class trend shortly after the war, before being taken over by the working classes? That might explain the tweed.

    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I looked up the Leeds Library when you mentioned it before and was duly fascinated.
      The character's other clothes, and in general pictures of Teddy boys, do not show much tweed....

      Delete
    2. I've had the impression that the Teddy "uniform" was a revolt against classism, that they wore the elegant clothes to contrast with their working-class culture. But I'm neither English nor an expert!

      Delete
    3. I think it was just a fashion - there were equally fashions for denim jeans and check shirts, very much workingmen's clothes

      Delete
    4. The Teddy Girls seem to have worn tweed - until today I hadn't thought about the young women in the culture, shame on me. This article has some pictures of girls:

      https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/jun/17/observer-archive-teddy-boys-and-teddy-girls-19-june-1955

      Nerys

      Delete
    5. Really interesting article and photos

      Delete
    6. I suspect that Sally's old tweed coat was shabby but of the best quality.

      Delete
    7. Yes, it's a much-loved trope isn't it?

      Delete
    8. I have been wondering lately if there is any modern equivalent to the "well-cut but shabby" garment, in these days of fast fashion. Designer clothing isn't really the same thing, though can be very well-made and recognizable as from X House. What do you think, how would you now convey the elements of characterization supplied by the good but shabby tweeds in GA fiction?

      Delete
    9. That's a dynamite question Dame E!
      Old leather jackets and ancient original band T-shirts are all I can think of as valued vintage. But from a different slice of society.

      Delete
    10. Perhaps a classic, expensive, but well-used handbag?
      Nerys

      Delete
    11. Oh yes, that's exactly right. 👏👏👏
      I just gave to a charity shop a Coach bag that I loved to death, but too big and heavy for me nowadays. I LOVED it - lots of straps and metal, and a beautiful striped lining. It was well-used, but stood up well, and I'm hoping someone will love it....

      Delete
    12. Over here, would an LL Bean garment be sufficiently upper-class?

      Delete
    13. Marty, I think so IF it were old enough--the sort of thing that just doesn't wear out, so a person is still wearing a parental garment.

      Come to think of it, my father had a Harris tweed jacket that got away in one of the moves or clear-outs--I absolutely would have taken that and worn it with everything if I could have got my paws on it, but I wasn't allowed to borrow it when I was still around, and after I moved across the country who knows where it went, alas. But there we are, the classic excellent tweeds, which could be worn by a younger generation! I think that aspect would be significant, that the garment would be inherited (or thrifted--but for maximum 'good but shabby' effect you'd want to suggest a family that appreciated and kept such things, rather than a socially-climbing thrifter, IMO).

      Delete
    14. Marty, yes I think you are right, those LL Bean items would show the right feeling.
      Dame E, what a shame, annoying to have missed out! I have a Ralph Laurn tweed jacket which I love very much, and it is now more than 25 years old, which makes it pretty vintage. I shall insist on leaving it to my daughter...

      Delete
  6. Haven't Persephone books beaten Penguin to this idea? Not that there isn't room for more neglected books to be reissued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I don't think Persephone have a monopoly, it seems a very reasonable business idea. And Dean St Press publish a lot of neglected female authors too. And Virago have been doing it for more than 50 years....

      Delete
  7. I love the phrase "self-operating the lift". It's rather jaw-dropping that there was a time when basically all lifts were staffed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the subject of lifts, a film I saw involved the inventor of the elevator (American film) traveling to the future (our time) so that the elevator didn't exist anymore. Not a very well-thought-out story in general, but the oddest thing was that although there were no longer any elevators, somehow there were elevator shafts!

      Delete
    2. I can still remember the era when lifts had operatives. I'm always interested in the history of lifts, I got all involved in researching the role of 'lift starters' a year or so ago, another job that no longer exists. Perhaps it was a useful way of providing jobs for plenty of people...
      Marty, that's a funny idea for a film. Was it Mr Otis? I always loved the idea that the man responsible for modern lifts had his name on most of them. Life isn't usually that easy

      Delete
    3. The movie was Kate & Leopold and was actually a romance fantasy with a time-travel gimmick. Sci-fi fans would no doubt find much to complain about! Leopold was a royal from somewhere and was supposedly the inventor, although I don't know where that idea came from. Mr Otis got no credit at all! It was a cute film but definitely a fantasy. In one scene the heroine's purse is stolen in a park and the hero grabs a cart-horse (in NYC) and rides to the rescue. I couldn't help but feel sorry for the horse, cart-horses not being used to that kind of activity.....

      Delete
    4. I remember that coming out and never quite getting round to seeing it.
      I am very pedantic about some things, and not a great one for sci-fi, but it doesn't usually bother me too much when the rules and arrangements haven't been fully worked out. I think it's all fake anyway, so....
      I very much enjoyed a film called Yesterday, which imagined a world where Beatles songs didn't exist: it made no sense whatsoever but was very good fun.

      Delete
    5. I remember a movie, The Invention of Lying, about a world in which there were no euphemisms and people always spoke the truth to one another. I never watched it, but apparently it included religion in the category of untruth/euphemism, and the hero sort of invented religion (AKA lying. It was a comedy, but the funniest thing about it IMO was that it would have taken all these millennia for humanity to discover lying! I can imagine cavemen making up stories about the big mammoth that got away, and so on....Oddly enough the hero was writing a script about the "13th century" which bore a strong resemblance to the real-life 13th century Anno Domini--did the filmmakers not know how the western world's centuries are dated?

      Delete
    6. A world without the Beatles?! Unthinkable for some folks, desirable for others.

      Delete
    7. There are plenty of opporunities for imaginative writers

      Delete
  8. Sounds fun, but price they set is silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kindle edition was 4.99, the paperback a bit more than twice that. Were you offered the same prices where you are?

      Delete
    2. No, they want to charge 18 dollars for the Kindle edition for me.

      Delete
    3. Can't find it at all in the US.

      Delete
    4. Penguin such a big publisher, you'd think it will turn up? Though sometimes there's an issue with long-ago rights which have never been reclaimeed.

      Delete
  9. All you say is true, Moira, and yet I did quite enjoy it. I always like a setting that is new to me like this. Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the author knew her stuff! Did you read the new edition or had you read it in the past?

      Delete
  10. I just happened to see it, I think in the bookshop at St Pancras, and bought it quite recently. And yes, I remember thinking that Basildon Bond was classy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any of the actual paper copies of the series, I just came across it online. We'll have to see what else they decide to bring out.
      I love those strange realizations as you get older - sometimes a lot older - that your assumptions weren't always correct. But I do think the name Basildon Bond was genius,

      Delete
  11. Googling a bit on the author's name, it seems she is not just being republished, but unpublished manuscripts of hers are also being published. To keep writing when you don't get published anymore shows some discipline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh interesting. I had never heard of her but perhaps we'll hear more of her. I suppose I would read another book by her if someone strongly recommended it...

      Delete
    2. I know somebody who does just that. Because writing is what she does, she couldn't not do it (even though she would obviously prefer to be published). And remember Barbara Pym...

      Delete
    3. Yes, I can see that. And there are various writers like that as well as Pym - including some who didnt have any success at all. At least Pym had an earlier success before her long period in the wasteland

      Delete
  12. Lifts and their operatives...there was a big department store in Birmingham, Lewis's, that had them, but I probably just missed them. Answer In The Negative sounds interesting, but very much of its time. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I enjoyed finding the pictures.
      Big department stores very much the places for lift operatives - along with skyscrapers in the US.
      Sometimes they had fancy uniforms.

      Delete
  13. I am writing my lists on pages from an old Woolworth's Writing Pad 120 ruled sheets-blue, 97p.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee. I was going to say, you could get away with anonymous letters - but presumably this will become less tenable as fewer and fewer of these pads exist!
      I still have some own brand notepads I bought for my children in Costco in around 2000 - we got through lots of them, but once they'd moved on there were some left, and I hate to waste paper...

      Delete
  14. A final note from me on lifts before I go and check out the Dower House.

    Have you ever come across the Paternoster Lift? An intriguing bit of vintage vertical motion in old buildings, which I won’t even try to describe here. Worth looking up, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Lodge, Changing Places, at the University of Rummidge! There's a chase scene, of sorts, involving a Paternoster.

      Delete
    2. They are HORRIBLE! A friend told me about going for an interview at a university where they had one in the main building, and it literally decided me against applying there. It must have been the university of Rummidge.... 😀😀😀
      Since this discussion launched I got a ton of spam from someone offering hydralics operations!

      Delete
    3. They had a paternoster lift at my college . I eventually plucked up the courage to stay in it when it went over top. Invented by Peter Ellis the forward thinking architect from Liverpool.

      Delete
    4. Well! You have surprised me. I grew up in Liverpool and so know about Peter Ellis and his Oriel Chambers, but I did NOT realize that he installed a paternoster lift in it - the first? I'd have imagined it was developed much later on.
      A lot of them seem to have been in university buildings, I wonder why? I loved reading the urban myth that if you stayed on over the top you would come down upside down! Was it very smooth going over the top? Presumably students were daring each other.
      I'm not making sense of the name - online it says 'The name was given because the lift’s looping compartments resembled rosary beads moving through chains of prayers.' It says this everywhere But rosaries consist mainly of Hail Marys/Ave Maria - there are Pater Noster, but only one for every 10 Hail Marys! I'd always assumed it was Pater Noster because of going up to heaven...

      Delete
    5. It was a very long time ago, but I think it was just a bit bumpy when the lift went over the top. I only did it once. There is a nice diagram on the Wikipedia page showing how the lift works. Before I knew it was safe, I had the idea that the cabin folded flat as it went over the top and opened upside-down. Apparently paternoster and rosary beads are different types of prayer beads.

      Delete
    6. Yes, I saw the Wikipedia page, very nicely explained. Definitely a scarey thing to do. There are enough stories about other mechanical matters where young people on a dare get caught out by something unexpected...
      I am happy with the idea of paternoster beads, but such an item is not a rosary!

      Delete
  15. Just one more thing ... the picture library reminded me of a BBC drama from years ago, Shooting the Past, about a similar picture archive that is taken over by corporate types, and about the determination of the staff to protect the collection and to explain to the new owners why ALL of it, not just the obviously rare and valuable images, should be saved.

    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just finished. The Fleet Street picture library setting is very good and she knew her London geography but there is little atmosphere no-one has any real inner life. The children are just props, pointless, silent and looked after by a faceless almost silent nanny. We don't need to know every emotion but I kept feeling 'what is the point of this person except to widen the pool of suspects/victims'. As you say, how many people in the graveyard? The Penguin Mermaid series generally seems a bit uninspired Also mermaids? Shame not to have another sea bird imprint. Gulls? (joke).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take all your points, but let it off some for nostalgic reasons - it was so much a certain kind of crime story.
      I hadn't thought of that about the Penguins. How about Red Kites?

      Delete
  17. Laurie Colwin's 'A big storm knocked it over' is set in a New York picture library in the '90s and is a much livelier and more engaging book . Not a crime novel...good title though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She always has great titles. I don't think I've read that one, I will search it out.
      There is a Peter Lovesey murder story where one of the main female characters has an agency supplying fahsion illos and photos to all kinds of clients. My perfect job!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the Peter Lovesey suggestion, I like his work and will track it down What a great job! I am bit obsessed by Fleet St and publishing books at the.moment...

      Delete
    3. It's called the Secret Hangman, I did a post on it years ago
      https://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-secret-hangman-by-peter-lovesey.html
      Me too - if I see a fiction book in one of those settings, I am instantly intrigued

      Delete

Post a Comment