Childhood reading and intellectual freedom

 


In the recent sunny weather in the UK I was reminded of a favourite quotation from revered author Peter Dickinson:

“Nobody who has not spent a whole sunny afternoon under his bed rereading a pile of comics left over from the previous holidays has any real idea of the meaning of intellectual freedom.”

I have mentioned it before, in a piece that explains various aspects of Dickinson and my reading

Some Deaths Before Dying by Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson was a posh boy, the same age as my mother, and he was on holiday from Eton: and still his words would have resonated wholly with a townie girl reading comics in a small house in a big city, on holiday from her state day school.  



I have kept up a staunch interest in children’s books since my own days as what was then known as a bookish child. I did quite like playing out, and some sports and games, but my favourite thing always was reading, and one of my favourite places in the world was the local library. I have written about these matters on the blog many times, eg here

National Libraries Day: A List

I have strong views that, on the whole, children should be left to get on with reading whatever they want, and that it is better that they read something rather than nothing, even if some items are seen as downmarket or trash-y.

A long time ago I did write an article about some aspects of children’s literature that I didn’t like, an item than in its day went viral

The new Gothicism of children's books.

---but on the whole, I’m all for Peter Dickinson’s idea of intellectual freedom, as shown in my love for Enid Blyton, school stories, and even grown-up tosh. As I said in a blogpost once:

Dress Down Sunday: The Clue in the Castle by Joyce Bevins Webb

“I’m always ready to mock JD Salinger/Buddy Glass for the line ‘The Great Gatsby… was my Tom Sawyer.’ Probably because [obscure school story] The Clue in the Castle was my Middlemarch when I was a young thing. Someone gave me the book when I was maybe 8 or 9, and I read and re-read it over and over, and can remember every detail of the plot. (Well inasmuch as anyone can, it is very complex.)”

This sums up my reading, because I have also read, several times over, The Great Gatsby, Tom Sawyer and Middlemarch, as well as all of Salinger.

People will often say ‘Oh I wasn’t ALLOWED to read Enid Blyton’ in a smug way as if it was a special privilege, but I can be very straight-faced about that. I don't usually boast about my widespread reading, but see here:

That Guardian list, and my best books

Enid Blyton didn’t stop me…



I took out whatever I wanted from the library, a kindly librarian encouraging me to experiment with adult books from an early age.

Not everyone is as lucky as I was. Here are some stories:

 

1)  Molly Keane’s Good Behaviour is her masterpiece: a novel about the lives of the Anglo-Irish, looking back a the early 20th Century. There is a plot strand that is sad, absurd and only too believable, about a boy who is discovered

alone in the boys’ tree house… with what could only be a book – a book, and at 3 o’clock on a perfect afternoon.

As if that is not enough, he lies and says it is Robinson Crusoe, when actually it is poetry. There is an endless aftermath to this event, and the subsequent sacking of the governess. (I featured this reference also in my post on Robinson Crusoe in popular culture )

 

2)  We recently looked at the Count of Monte Cristo and learned that all Dumas’ books were under threat of censorship at one time. In Charlotte M Yonge’s The Young Stepmother (1861), it’s another of his books that is subject to disapproval: The Three Musketeers from 1844, which pretty much would be seen as a solid children’s book now.

The stepmother of the title, Albinia, is smoothing young Gilbert’s pillow:

The corner of a book peeped out. It was a translation of The Three Musqueteers, one of the worst and most fascinating of Dumas’ romances.  ‘You wont tell papa!’ cried Gilbert, raising himself, in far more real and present terror than he had previously shown. 

‘How did you get it? Whose is it?’ 

‘It is my own. I bought it at Richardson’s. It is very funny. But you wont tell papa? I never was told not; indeed I was not.’

Albinia suggests a compromise:

‘Will this satisfy you, Gilbert? You know there are some exciting pleasures that we must turn our backs on resolutely. I think this book is one of them. Now you will let me take it? I will tell your father about it in private, and he cannot blame you. Then, if he will give his consent, whenever you can come home early, come to my dressing-room, out of your sisters’ way, and I will read to you the innocent part, so as to get the story out of your brain.’

Which seems a strange compromise, but the young stepmother is certainly trying… she is familiar with the book because her own brother ‘got it by some mistake among some French books. He read some of the droll unobjectionable parts to my sister and me, but the rest was so bad, that he threw it into the fire.’

It’s hard work keeping up with the rules in a Yonge book.

 


3)  Meanwhile, in a book I just featured, 

The Late Mrs Prioleau by Monica Tindall there is a book that no child would want to read:

He had heard far too much about being made worthy, and his faith in prayer had been badly damaged some time previously when he was given Southey’s Life of Wesley for Christmas instead of a bicycle.

4)  In Antonia Forest’s Cricket Term, young Nicola Marlow gets into trouble at her boarding school for bring back in her suitcase a book that is banned for pupils her age: Mary Renault’s Mask of Apollo – as featured in this post on Ancient Greek theatre, sorry if it shocks you. (She smuggles it in between pyjamas and gym shorts, thus reflecting as it happens two recent blog interests.)  

I think Nicola should be allowed to read what she wants, but Miss Cromwell says rules must be obeyed. Her punishment is that Nicola must read all the books from a list provided by the teacher, before reading anything else. Oh how we wish Forest had shared the full list. We hear about a few of them. I love Nicola being sucked into Dombey and Son:

It was slushy, it was yuk, she couldn’t care less if that wetter-than-wet lad died, but all the same it was sad…

And then asking Matron: ‘when people die do they go on talking up to the very last minute?’

When she finishes the list, she is going to celebrate by reading Hornblower from beginning to end – ‘well perhaps not to end: she wasn’t actually mad keen on Bush being blown to bits and Hornblower growing old.’

Very different books for me, but I am in tune with Nicola’s style of reading, it is very familiar to me. (I feel just the same about Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall trilogy as she does about Hornblower: I’ve read the first two countless times, and the first half of the third one, but I find the end of the story too sad. And really it was Antonia Forest who gave me permission to stop)




This is a niche topic, but I’m sure some readers will have stories either of their own childhood reading, or of children in books loving, defending or hiding their choices.

Bring them on in the comments please....


A young girl reading | This is a glass slide showing a tradi… | Flickr Tyne and Wear Archives

A Pupil in Pleasant Green School - Pocahontas Co. (See Pho… | Flickr

Child reading - NYPL Digital Collections

Anne Waldron reading a book - intermediary roll film | Library of Congress

New York, N.Y. Children's Colony, a school for refugee children administered by a Viennese. German refugee child, a devotee of Superman | Library of Congress

Round, Mrs. George C. [child] (LOC) | C.M. Bell (Firm : Wash… | Flickr

Comments

  1. Oh my--as you've no doubt heard, intellectual freedom for children is under attack over here (and may not survive unless the "underground" reading such as shown in your examples defeats the purpose of the Book Police). I think I can understand if not agree with the earlier attitudes toward Dumas. Considering the adultery and other intrigues involved (and treated as fairly normal), a Victorian parent might well object to letting children read his novels. I know my own mother didn't approve of my buying a set of Dumas novels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title of that last photo makes me laugh. Kind of odd seeing a little girl referred to as "Mrs"--and then "(child)" tacked on! Did "child" not have a name of her own at that time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked up the little girl's name, it was Emily Caroline Bennett.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if the last title really belongs to the last photo? (It's odd no matter which.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I changed the order of the photos in the post, so the list isn't the same order.
      I think we're lucky to have these photos, and it's hardly surprising if a caption/title isn't completely clear or complete! It says that the name is the person who asked for or ordered the photo. In the olden days if I had pysical photos developed from a film then they would be listed under my name at the shop whoever was in them....

      Delete
  5. I couldn't possibly agree more about the importance of children choosing what to read and exploring the world of the books they choose. There's a great deal of evidence to suggest that children who are encouraged to read what they want are more likely to read more and with more skill. This in turn boosts them cognitively, linguistically, and in other ways, too. I was always a reader, and have a lot of memories of Frances Hodgson Burnett, Santha Rama Rau, and plenty of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew this would resonate with you Margot! As long as I've known you, you have stood up for intellectual freedom and against censorship.
      Now Santha Rama Rau was actually a new name to me, so I have looked her up and will be pursuing her books.

      Delete
  6. This post could not have come at a better time for me as I've spent the summer oscillating between despair at my 9yo spending all his time under the bed reading The Beano rather than 'proper books', and concern over my 11yo devouring Bill Bryson which included a whole host of swear words and sex references that I'd hoped to avoid for a couple more years...

    BUT you have reassured me that all is fine and I should let them be :-)

    Great godmotherly advice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, amazing timing and happy chance. I think I would definitely say dont worry, and I love the picture of your two boys....
      Ahem. I sent a Bridget Jones book to someone in your family (a long time ago) and then worried afterwards that it might be (or be seen to be) inappropriate....

      Delete
  7. I had free run of my father's library, which is why I read "Rifleman Dodd" at age about eleven. I re-read it in my twenties and was thankful that eleven year old me was too young to understand half of what happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was published under another name in the UK ('Death to the French') but I still haven't read it. perhaps Nicola (above) did, though not Hornblower.
      Do you think it set you off on a life in the forces?
      It sounds.... full of action of a grim and violent sort?

      Delete
    2. Guerilla warfare, rape, torture, hand to hand combat. Forester pulled no punches. The book was on the Commandant of the Marine Corps reading list (seriously. We were expected to read x number of books per year broken down by rank. It went in our annual evaluations).

      I doubt I gave it even a thought, career-wise; IIRC at eleven I wanted to be a cowboy.

      Delete
    3. They should use your opening sentence to advertise the book.
      I am so charmed by your wanting to be a cowboy

      Delete
  8. I've spent a large part of my life reading, both as a child and as an adult, but never under the bed with the dust bunnies. Lying on top of your bed is far more comfortable. The light is better too.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the implication is that you are hiding, or at least making yourself less obvious, so no-one can chase you out into that lovely sunshine, or see what you are reading...

      Delete
    2. My parents were big readers themselves, so they would never stop me from reading. Before I could read I used to hate Sunday afternoons, because they would both sit in their chairs with their books and the papers and tell me to go play outside. And there was never anyone outside to play with on Sundays.
      In the Netherlands primary school starts at six, and because I was born 3 weeks after the cut-off point, I was nearly 7 before I learned to read. The relief!
      Clare

      Delete
    3. Gosh yes - reading such a gateway, like coming out of a tunnel when you realize you can do it.
      No possibility of learning to read at home? I think children vary (and, I shouldn't need to say this) unrelated to their theoretical smartness: of my two children one learned early apparently by osmosis, the other had to be pushed, though was then a very keen reader afterwrds.

      Delete
  9. A nun, who was the librarian at my school when I was 12, was pleased to hear I liked historical fiction and found me The Concubine by Norah Lofts. I liked this very much but was afraid concubine was a bad word so hid it successfully at home (I guess it didn't occur to me that a nun was unlikely to give me something I'd be forbidden to read). Then she gave me Katherine by Anya Seton, and while I was completely engrossed in the story the cover was so lurid I hid it under my pillow. Not a good hiding place or maybe I'd forgotten to make my bed - I came home and found my mother reading it! She said it had been one of her favorites when she was 17 and it was serialized in the Ladies Home Journal. After that I didn't bother to hide any of my books. Her only concern was that she doesn't approve of binge-reading a new author because she likes to make things last. And she preferred we not read books that would cause us to wake up screaming in the middle of the night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up The Concubine - it sounds splendid. Perhaps similar to one of Jean Plaidy's books, I think she did one on each of H8's queens.
      I love Katherine, even though I came to it later in life than most people. When I re-read I wonder if it will have lost its magic, but never.
      I don't think anything in a book has given me nightmares, and my older child was the same. So I wasnt prepared for my second child, who had to be gently discouraged from reading anything too exciting close to bedtime. there had been a helpful episode of Friends, from which we learned to put a book in the fridge if it was bothering you....

      Delete
    2. The Concubine recommended by a nun, I didn't see that coming! Mind you, when I was 10 or 11 my mother was organizing a jumble sale and presented me with a box of donated Barbara Cartland books. She told me to read them all and get romantic nonsense out of the way quickly. So I did, admittedly a bit stunned some of the time. I've not read a purely romantic novel since. I realise I have made my mother and grandmother sound almost harsh and commonsensical but they loved books and clothes and encouraged my enthusiasm for both. Within sensible budgetary limits, of course...

      Delete
    3. And all my thanks to the Librarians who allowed me to borrow art and history books from the adult library.
      Christopher Fowler, in his autobiography Paperboy praises the Librarian he knew for quietly encouraging him in his passion for ramdom reading. Plus she sagely reminded him that you don't have to be good at everything or to know everything.

      Delete
    4. I have ordered a copy of the Concubine.
      I love hearing all these family stories - I think different approaches, same results as we are all such keen readers ever since and now.
      I always felt sad that I didn't have a wonderful English teacher as so many people did - but I was lucky in the librarians.
      And Jan your story reminds me that once I was in my aunt's house, and heard her talking to my cousin in the next room. she said 'You can't give THAT to a Catholic jumble sale!' I spent a happy minute trying to work out what this could possibly be, before going to find out. The answer of coures was a box of romance books of varying kinds (from MIlls& Boon via Barbara C to some more spicy versions). I think my aunt was being a bit over-cautious really.

      Delete
  10. You must know that I agree with every word, Moira. At about 7 or 8 I was getting books on Norse legend out of the local library, I was absolutely fascinated. I was only too happy if any of my children read anything and enjoyed finding books that I thought would engage them. Having said that, are not books that you would rather they did not get their hands on too young? And is it always right not to censor books? What about Mein Kampf? I think it was banned in Germany? Was that justified? Not sure. Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good philosophical question. I THINK - perhaps if you want children to be able to find Norse legends, & in my case topology and weird maths books, you have to accept that they will find some other things a parent might be less happy about.
      I don't think reading Mein Kampf is going to do any harm: an adult who has those views will hold them anyway. Not banned in the UK. In Germany it can only be sold in an annotated edition, which seems a reasonable compromise? Shows respect to the victims without censorship. Banned in some other countries.
      But in all of this there aren't easy answers to some of the questions

      Delete
  11. My only failure to get hold of a book as a child was when I reserved 1984 at the library and a librarian refused to let me take it out. It turned out later that that librarian was an ardent Communist and kept 1984 and similar books hidden unless someone reserved them when she resorted to more drastic measures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know what the drastic measures were or was it a nameless threat held over keen readers?

      Delete
    2. The drastic measure in this case was to announce that I was too young to be allowed to read the book. A few years later I took great pleasure in reserving Robert Conquest's The Great Terror from the same library - though not from the same librarian, I think.

      Delete
    3. That's quite the story. Surely librarians should swear an oath of objectivity 😀😀😀
      I read The Great Terror when I was in my early 20s (working at World Service and educating myself) and I've just had a sad realisation: then I thought it was one of the worst stories I'd ever read or would read (ie content not the book), and now I think I've learned worse things in the years since then.

      Delete
  12. Christine Harding29 July 2026 at 18:07

    My brother and i

    ReplyDelete
  13. Start again! My brother and i

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bother!! My brother and I have always considered ourselves to be fortunate to come from a bookish family. Our Norwegian grandmother ran away to England with nothing but a trunk full of books, and our mother read us children’s stories, but also read aloud whatever she happened to be reading at the time - novels, poetry and plays. Apparently this kept us happy! Our father read excerpts

      Delete
    2. I give up

      Delete
    3. I like 'My bother and I' - there's a title for a book by someone
      Christine please don't give up! Your family sounds lovely

      Delete
  14. When I was in my early teens there was a craze in school for bringing in sexually explicit books, and reading the 'naughty' sections out loud to each other, with much giggling. Think Lace, Princess Daisy, etc. One of them was Petals On The Wind. After hearing all the sexy bits, I wanted to read the actual story - the whole Flowers In The Attic thing was huge back then. So I brought the first one home from the library. My mother used to quite often read my library books too, because by then I was reading adult novels such as Mary Stewart or Joyce Stranger - no Young Adult in those days. We both read FITA and all was well. Then I got POTW out - and thinking about it now, it must have come out on my mother's library ticket. Unfortunately she read it first, and then told me it was unsuitable and wouldn't let me read it. Cue teenage tantrums and lifelong resentment (I mean, it was only forty four years ago and I'm still dwelling on it!) The funny thing looking back is that I don't think any of those sexually explicit books did much harm - far more damaging in the long term were the Mills and Boons that I also read in my teens with their dated descriptions of alpha men overpowering women with their dark, brooding charm. At least I knew the sexy stuff was sensational nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's a great story, what a grudge. I associate Joyce Stranger with animal-based stories? but I don't think I ever read her.
      As a parent it is always hard and uncomfortable to imagine your young children encountering lurid sexual descriptions. NO! we think. But actually, as you say, I don't think it does them any harm and it would be good to try to be relaxed about it.
      And (I am just developing this theory as I write) maybe if they are going to read sexy bits, better that they read a wide range, so they know of the huge variation of sex, love and attitudes that exist in the world. If you read one book of S&M that's surely worse than recognizing more possibilities....

      Delete
    2. Joyce Stranger did write animal stories, both fiction and non-fiction about her dogs. Books about animals were my gateway to adult fiction. And as far as sex in books goes, I think the ideal is probably to let your teenage child read it if they want to, but then be able to have a chat about it. Of course now lots of YA books write about it in a more sensible and less sensational way, which is all to the good.

      Delete
    3. Perhaps sex in books via animal stories is the solution!

      Delete
    4. Why does that make me feel uneasy?
      But obv I have examples.
      There's a very weird Peter Dickinson (as mentioned above) book for children in which SPOILER ALERT a young woman turns into an ape, and there is some *uneasy* description of what leads to her having offspring. I cannot forget this book, but also could not read it again.
      One of my favourite books about Alexander the Great (& I have read many) is a YA book narrated by his horse Bucephalus. It is called I Am the Great Horse by Katherine Roberts, and I love it beyond words
      https://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2013/05/i-am-great-horse-by-katherine-roberts.html
      The horse clearly tells us when he is with a mare, 'foal-season again' but using some euphemistic phrases.

      Delete
    5. Don't know the Dickinson - it's one of his virtues/vices: you never know what you'll encounter! Putting human brains in animals' or aliens' bodies was an old SF trope but I don't think many - if any - of the authors went in for the full details.
      With animal stories, I was thinking that much animal sexual behaviour is genetically triggered and so could be described in "mechanical" terms, with no moral involvement. It's a different approach, but it wouldn't excude moral aspects..

      Delete
    6. My mind is boggling a bit. I always found it a bit weird that cats have no incest barrier, is that right? Do people have trouble explaining that to their children?
      Also I am remembering an interviewer saying to Jeff Goldblum, many many years ago, 'You've never played a romantic lead have you?'
      And his saying 'Yes I have, I was the man who turned into a fly in The Fly.'

      Delete
  15. My maternal grandmother took the view that reading was synonymous with idleness and that anyone who had time to waste with a book ought to be running errands, turning out kitchen cupboards, weeding the garden … which made life difficult for Mum who was a keen reader. Fortunately she passed the eleven-plus exam the first year it came in, which got her to a school with a library where she spent a great deal of time. I don’t think she would have tried hiding under the bed with a book at home, though if she did there would have been no dust bunnies, as one of her earliest memories is of sliding down into the headboard as Grandma lifted up the foot of her bed to sweep underneath, around 5.30 every morning.

    Pic 2 – I thought “Surely those girls are too old for dummies?”, but then the penny dropped (or the bubble-gum popped).

    The little girl in white frills for some reason brought to mind many PG Wodehouse young men who are forced to earn a living editing Wee Tots and other magazines for infants. One of them IIRC gets bored with churning out articles on “What Tiny Hands Can Do For Nanny” and inserts an editorial advising his readers to make a bit on the side by betting their nearest and dearest that they can get more than a pint of whisky into a pint bottle.

    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Are you busy?'
      'I'm reading'
      'Oh not busy then'
      -- is an exchange many people will have suffered...
      Love that bit of PGW!
      I like the girl in the third picture down - that looks like a very modern and excellent quilted jacket

      Delete

Post a Comment