The Wife of Ronald Sheldon by Patrick Quentin

The Wife of Ronald Sheldon by Patrick Quentin

 

published 1954

 

 


 

Sylvia Rymer was wearing slacks and a sweater and harlequin shell-rimmed glasses – more or less like any other girl in the Village who was clever and had written a novel in verse…

 

Whenever I mention Patrick Quentin I end up saying something like this:

The whole Quentin/Patrick pot-pourri is beyond explanation: I touched on it in this entry, but you really need to look it up on Wikipedia to get the full lowdown on these authors

That’s to do with authors, co-authors and pen names. This time there is another complication in that there are different versions of this book with different titles and some changes in character names. There is some explanation of all this in a post by my friend Curt Evans over at The Passing Tramp: he is looking at it under its US publication title My Son the Murderer.

My copy came from my good friend Chrissie Poulson, who rightly guessed I would enjoy it, and she was particularly keen on the idea of looking at the young woman in it who wears ‘harlequin glasses’ – what you would probably think of as cat’s-eye-shaped frames.

Luckily I was able to find a splendid website, Ed and Sarna’s Vintage Eyewear which gives a history of these (among other) designs, and is the source of the splendid picture below: THAT, my dear friends, is Altina Schinasi, the woman who invented them…  'Vogue and Life magazines credited Schinasi with revolutionizing the eyewear industry and aesthetic.'



And Schinasi was obviously a fascinating person with a most interesting life – do look at the webpage.

‘Inspired by the lack of interesting frames for women available in opticians in New York, Altina designed the first prototypes of a more glamorous silhouette. Her original shape designs were cut away from the romantic and whimsical harlequin masks worn at ballroom dances at the time and it is from this mask that the cat eye shape got its first name "Harlequin".’ 

By happy chance another friend, Wendy, mentioned to me separately that she had a glamorous aunt whose cat’s-eye glasses had interchangeable wings in different colours, including diamante ones for evening wear.

Now to the book itself, which has a complicated plot and is splendidly overwrought. It is set in 1950s New York, and narrated by publisher Jake Duluth (brother of Quentin series character Peter), whose family has been torn apart by the suicide of his wife Felicia a few years earlier.

His business partner, Ronald Sheldon, comes back from a trip with a new wife: very young, and the daughter of an author Sheldon feels is a genius. The whole family have come along, difficult people living in an adjoining apartment. Jake’s estranged Bohemian son Bill falls instantly in love with the young girl Jean. Someone ends up dead, and (see US title so not really a spoiler) it looks obvious that Bill must have done it.

Everyone is very passionate and shouts a lot, and meanwhile alibis are checked.

It’s a claustrophobic setting, and Jake is finding out more than he really wants to know about people he trusted – it is not at all one of those NY crime books where everyone trades wisecracks over martinis, not taking anything too seriously (see eg the Lockridges), but I found it very readable, even compulsive.



And – it has almost a complete Royal Flush of clothes-in-books of the era: the young girl who starts off dressed as a schoolgirl (tweeds and pudding bowl hat, Clover Vintage) and moves through a pink chiffon ballgown to a smart black dress. The Greenwich Village Bohemian girl mentioned above.



 Iris Duluth, who wears slacks but doesn’t go out in them. A young man in a sports jacket when everyone else has ‘dressed’. Even a bedjacket.




Chrissie sent me the book with the picture card above – it could be the New Yorkers in the book out on the razz  - or it could be Chrissie and me in a roadhouse…

Bohemian woman in black is the artist Helen Frankenthaler, from NYPL.

Martin Edwards reviewed this book here.

*** when this blog was very new, I managed to link up WG Sebald and Miss Read (author of the Fairacre Village series) – via a film about herrings. See this startling juxtaposition here.

And now I prove that I can link Miss Read with almost anything  - in her late entry, Summer at Fairacre (1984) we find this – the village teacher is contemplating getting spectacles:



Several ladies in the village favour upswept shapes, and Mrs Finch-Edwards, a somewhat flamboyant lady who acted as a supply teacher here, actually had a pair shaped rather like butterflies, with a flashing jewel in the upper wing tip. Frankly, I could not imagine myself in such dashing numbers.

(I don’t think the 30  years between publication dates really represents how long it takes fashions to spread to a village in Oxfordshire – Miss Read’s books take place in an alternate time scheme, where some things move on, and others stay the same, and the series started in 1955, so spot on for the Quentin book)

 Incidentally, the Miss Read book has a splendid scene set at a jumble sale, a feature of UK life that I should be collecting instances of. Such a regular, all-pervading item, surely there  must be more book descriptions?

Comments

  1. My mother-in-law wore what we used to call 'cat glasses.' Your photo reminded me of what a delight she was as a person... Anyway, on to the book... I'm glad you enjoyed it. It sounds like an interesting mystery as well as a solid look at the times and culture. And now I'm thinking about jumble sales and their close kin, yard sales/garage sales/...... I'll have to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you for sharing that, Margot, I'm glad you have such fond memories. They go in and out of fashion, but they always look stylish.
      the book was very enjoyable, I'm sure you would like it. And can we hope for a post from you on yard sales and suchlike? If anyone can pull up some memories of those events in books, it is you...

      Delete
  2. I'd forgotten that I'd sent you this, Moira, so was mildly surprised to come across my name, but very glad that it's inspired such a splendid post! The harlequin glasses - after being so fashionable, didn't they then become deeply unfashionable, hence their adoption by Dame Edna Everage? Ah yes, you and me in that roadhouse, though it is rather a long time since I could get away with wearing a dress like that ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was absolutely ages ago to be fair Chrissie! I read it when you first sent it, but didn't get round to doing a post: so I actually read it again to remind myself. Always interesting to do that when you can see more clearly how the author achieved his effects...
      As I said to Margot above, I think they go in and out of fashion, but are having a moment right now.
      Those dresses - I'd spend the whole time yanking them up, worried about slippage.

      Delete
    2. Some years ago I came across a 1950s paperback edition of Dorothy L Sayers' "Strong Poison" with a cover depicting a woman very like the blonde on the picture card, curled up seductively on a sofa offering a cup of coffee to a man - so she can only have been Harriet Vane. I think the dress was a little less precarious, but bosom just as pneumatic and pointy, and hair just as platinum, as on the card. I'd probably have bought it just for amusement if it hadn't been priced at well over £100.
      Sovay

      Delete
    3. And the immortal Mrs. Slocombe (from "Are You Being Served") also wore harlequin glasses. On a chain. I haven't studied them closely enough to notice whether they varied with her hair colo(u)r du jour...lime, cantaloupe, pomegranate, whatever.

      Delete
    4. You always wonder about those covers - did people buy them and suffer great disappointment at the very different content, with bluestocking Harriet swapping literary quotes in a prison cell, rather than lounging on the sofa. It does sound splendid though.

      Very good catch on Mrs Slocombe - the image jumped to my mind very clearly as soon as I saw the name!

      Delete
    5. It was in a locked cabinet so I couldn't see the blurb - I longed to know whether it matched the cover.

      And I'm not the Anon who remembered Mrs Slocombe, though I do now!
      Sovay

      Delete
    6. Right thank you - blogger does not make it easy for commenters to use their names, I know, and there will be mistakes.

      I love the idea of the book in the locked glass cabinet, it sounds like the beginning of a different crime drama.

      Delete
  3. Also known as "flicked up" glasses. Went with "flicked up" hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely we can work up a bogus theory about eras when hair and accessories flick up, and when they point down? Reflecting the economy, opposite to the economy?

      Delete
    2. Isn't there a theory about skirts - short in good times, long in bad?
      Sovay

      Delete
    3. Yes indeed, and also something about lipsticks?

      Delete
    4. The Lipstick Index! When times are tough, women are more likely to splurge on lipstick because they can't afford big ticket items. I think Estee Lauder first came up with the idea.

      Delete
    5. yes, that's it! Presumably Estee Lauder benefited hugely...

      Delete
  4. What's the significance of the two different versions of the book? Is it just to make it more comprehensible to British readers or are there significant differences? The story of the various Patrick Quentins and their transformations over time have always seemed more interesting than their books, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't find any explanation online, and though I think there is a biography of them, I am not about to read it. I like reading Quentin books now and again, I do usually enjoy them. There was once a line in one of them that made me laugh every time I thought of it, it was somehow so typical of a certain era of his writing (1947)

      'Salud.' I said, ‘Why have you come? Things didn’t go too well between us at the bullfight.’'

      I had forgotten about it till just now, and managed to locate it to Puzzle for Pilgrims, which is a strange very noirish book (as that line would suggest).

      Delete
    2. I knew I'd read something by Patrick Quentin! Puzzle for Pilgrims was it - as far as I remember I enjoyed it, mainly for the Mexican setting, but I didn't feel any urgent need to track down more of his/her/their work.
      Sovay

      Delete
    3. I think that's me too. The bullfight featured a lot - set in Mexico.

      Delete
    4. Not an "author" where you can say "Read one. read them all!" The Passing Tramp's account is very interesting, though.

      Delete
    5. "Read one. read them all!" isn't an order but a comment: "If you've read one. you've read them all!"
      There are times when brevity is the enemy of meaning.

      Delete
    6. Excellent ambiguity.
      (As a young person I was fascinated by the sentence 'You can't have too many friends' as having a balanced ambiguity)
      I think I'm resisting being pulled in to Patrick Quentin, I'd have to start understanding the order of the books and why they are so differnet and taking in the biography and and and...

      Delete
  5. I'm sure there are lots of jumble sales in books I've read. I just need my brain to retrieve them while I'm doing something else.
    The first example that came to mind is in Monica Edwards' Wish for a Pony (1947), a children's book. The heroine, Tamzin, takes some items to a jumble sale for her mother and sees a pair of jodhpurs in her size. They are 5/-, quite a lot then for a jumble sale. Her mother says, absolutely not, until she finds that they've come from 'a good home' and they must be dry cleaned before Tam wears them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's a splendid example, am making a note.
      They've been spinning round in my mind too - now I think the murder weapon in Mrs McGinty's Dead gets sold in a jumble sale? And does Miss Marple go round knocking on doors pretending to be collecting jumble in one of the books?

      Delete
    2. Barbara Pym is the queen of jumble sales - every novel with a vicar in it, I think.

      Delete
    3. There's definitely a jumble sale in Excellent Women - contrasted with the bazaar that's being planned at the end of the book. The bazaar is clearly going to be a calm, genteel affair; the jumble sale is a battleground, with bouncers needed to ensure that the less robust customers aren't trampled underfoot.
      Sovay

      Delete
    4. Yes indeed - going on the list!

      Delete
    5. Also, "Mapp and Lucia". The prominent citizens of Tilling are all holidaying in each other's houses (like an early version of Air BnB) while Lucia rents Mallards from Miss Mapp, and Lucia decides to give a charitable garden fete at Mallards, much to Miss Mapp's resentment. So she in turn plans a jumble sale in Diva's house and gets back at Lucia via Georgie by including a painting he gave her among the jumble - she puts it in the sixpenny odds-and-ends box, and he spots it there and buys it back, and the repercussions go on for months.
      Sovay

      Delete
    6. Oh yes, wonderful Mapp and Lucia, I actually reread that quite recently without remembering to put it on the list

      Delete
    7. Barbara Pym's last novel "A Few Green Leaves" also has a jumble sale in it, so something of a constant theme.

      Delete
    8. That's one of hers that I may have only read once, so thanks for the tipoff!

      Delete

Post a Comment