The Red House Mystery by AA Milne

The Red House Mystery by AA Milne

published 1921

 

 

examining a plan of the Red House! 

The Red House Mystery can be seen as one of the early pillars of Golden Age detection – I’d put it in a category with EC Bentley’s Trent’s Last Case (1913), Agatha Christie’s Mysterious Affair at Styles (1920), AEW Mason’s At the Villa Rose (1910).

 

Caroline Crampton has recently done an episode of her Shedunnit podcast on the book (you can find it here), and revealed that she rereads it around once a year. That impressed me, and she did a great job on the book in the podcast, so it was clearly time for a reread: I checked my records and I had't looked at it since 1986.

I enjoyed it very much in a very specific way. I remembered almost nothing about it, and guessed a fair amount of the plot. I noted that although there were some promising women characters in the opening pages, they were all sent away from the Red House as soon as the murder occurs: ‘no doubt you would prefer to leave as soon as possible’.

From then on it becomes a very male book, more so than others of the era. I welcomed the presence of Elsie the housemaid, with this splendid bit of a witness statement:

Elsie knew perfectly well that she had no business to come down the front stairs, and it was no excuse to say that she happened to come out of Miss Norris’s room just at the head of the stairs, and didn’t think it would matter, as there was nobody in the hall, and what was she doing anyhow in Miss Norris’s at that time? Returning a magazine? Lent by Miss Norris, might she ask? Well, not exactly lent. Really, Elsie! – and this in a respectable house. In vain for poor Elsie to plead that a story by her favourite author was advertised on the cover, with a picture of the villain falling over the cliff. ‘That’s where you’ll go to my girl, if you aren’t careful,’ said Mrs Stevens firmly.

This is the cook-housekeeper doing the cross-examining, and honestly I wish there’d been more of this. Milne does excellent characters when he puts his mind to it – the parlourmaid Audrey was good fun too, in her brief scenes. (there are also, disappointingly, no clothes to speak of at all.)

The owner of the Red House, Mark, is an awful man – ‘vain, pompous and absurd’ – and a very recognizable type, all too easily imagined.

The detection is quite fun and funny, led by Antony, the worst kind of gleeful amateur, helped by his much-less-clever friend Bill. They charge around following up leads. (One of them - concerning a letter from a lost brother, that may have arrived a day earlier than claimed – just disappears from the story). The story that finally emerges is surprisingly sad, a change in tone. There is a heart-chilling moment at the end when someone says ‘I am lonely tonight… that’s funny, isn’t it?’



Caroline’s Shedunnit podcast contains a lot more about the book, and about Milne and his life, and about why he didn’t go on to write other books. She also looks at Raymond Chandler’s takedown of the book in his The Simple Art of Murder – and having read the essay concerned, I’m with Caroline: Chandler’s criticisms are just strange, and seem to miss the point.

It's not a perfect book, but there’s a lot to enjoy. I did start to wonder if Milne was one of those people with an immense facility for successful writing, who finds it too easy to move from genre to genre – he did so much in his life apart from the Winnie the Pooh books, and everything seemed to come easily to him. I felt that with the character-creation, the very funny moments, and an ability to create depth of feeling – well he could have done something really remarkable. Not that he did badly…

I have also written about Milne's book Four Days’ Wonder on the blog – which I described as tremendously silly, and also magnificently enjoyable, a spoof of detective fiction, with a delightful but completely unreal heroine.


Comments

  1. I always enjoy finding the sources of your illustrations at the bottom of your posts. Have you given up quoting them?
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not at all. If there is no link, it usually means that the picture comes from my own collection of magazines and adverts (and sometimes I will say that). Sometimes it just means that I collected the images a while back and stashed it away in my computer files without properly recording the source!
      In this particular case, both pictures were from a collection of fashion adverts. But in one of those weird coincidences, I was looking through the NYPL collection (which, if you follow my links you will know that I haunt) today and actually came across the top picture there as I scrolled through. It is here https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47e1-202b-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99 As it was an advert presumably it appeared in many places - that particular style is very easy to find around 1920.

      It is very encouraging for me to know that you are interested and follow the links - I often wonder if i am only putting them in for me. I do re-use pictures, so it is very helpful for me (if I can remember which book I was illustrating) that I can find them again in this way.

      Delete
    2. Sometimes I'm familiar with your illustrations, but when I'm not it's always nice to be able to see where they're from. So thanks! Clare

      Delete
    3. Thank *you*, I am delighted that someone is interested and following the links!
      I forgot to say one more thing: For many of my blogging years there was a Flickr photostream which had the most wonderful collection of fashion pictures, a truly amazing resource,there was something like 10,000 of them with a Creative Commons licence. Unfortunately it has disappeared now: but I had saved many many pictures to files, so I still use them, but can't give a source. This was Kristine's photostream, mentioned countless times in the past, but sadly now you get a 404 with the links.

      Delete
  2. I read this book first when I was 13 or 14, and one thing that made a deep impression on me was the main character's wish to see more of life - meaning not just similar people in similar settings in different geographical locations, but other kinds of people in other kinds of settings. That resonated with me and has stayed with me always. In fact, I think that was one of the reasons that, when I retired from my university job two years ago, I applied for a job in the foyer bar of the Malmö Opera House. Some people find that a bit surprising (to say the least - it is amazing that in this day and age some people seem to consider it an embarrassment to encounter a former colleague from a high status job behind a bar serving drinks) but I have enjoyed my new job immensely. And I have always felt that Milne was unusually perceptive for his time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fascinating detail from your own life, thank you for sharing! Do you get to see the operas? I imagine it is a great job, you must collect good stories.
      How interesting that you shared that feeling with the hero. I presume you didn't offer to work for a month for nothing and see how they judged you, as he did...?

      Delete
    2. Haha, no I didn't offer to work for free. Instead I made the argument that a person who has been a teacher in all sorts of educational institutions all of her life, and loved it and been good at it, is a professional at handling people and so the perfect person to handle demanding patrons with ease and grace and good humour. And they bought that. :-)

      As for seeing the operas, we were far too busy clearing the tables (the bar also serves sandwiches, cakes and cold platters at all in all 120 tables, so many people come for a light meal before the performance, particularly if it's a weekday and they come directly from work) and during the first act also preparing the pre-orders for the interval. But I got two free tickets to every dress rehearsal, which was great. And after each first night, there was a great party, which everyone who had contributed to the performance attended; not just the singers and the musicians, but the make-up people and the back stage workers and so on. Those parties were great and I got to pour champagne for some world famous guest singers. All in all a wonderful experience.

      Delete
    3. It sounds terrific, and really interesting. I am a big opera fan, I go a lot, so good to hear glimpses of front-of-house life!

      Delete
  3. You make a good point about the female characters, Moira; I noticed that, too. And I did like the friendship (and the wit) between the two sleuths. That added a lot to the story. I though Milne did a solid job building the tension, too, and of course, there's the house itself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot, yes there are certainly good things about it, even if I am nitpicking about the women!

      Delete
  4. Oo thanks for highlighting the podcast episode - I'll go and listen. I've read this a couple times and, like you, don't remember masses - mostly the tone, and the fact that the mystery isn't the slickest. But I love anything Milne wrote, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! And yes I do agree - I think I surprised myself by the extent to which I wished he had made better use of his extraordinary talents. It's not something I often think.

      Delete
  5. You should do a blog post on "The Corpse Steps Out," by Craig Rice. Lots of women, and lots of lovely clothes. I have just reached the page where one of the characters appears in a pair of lounging pajamas "the color of the center of a very pale rose."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not been a particular fan of Craig Rice, but obviously you are interesting me strangely now! I do love a lounging pajama/pyjama...

      Delete

Post a Comment