Hunt the Tortoise by Elizabeth Ferrars

 

Hunt the Tortoise by Elizabeth Ferrars

published 1950

 

 


Elizabeth Ferrars (known as EX Ferrars in the USA) – where would you put her on your list of crime authors? I don’t think she’s very well-known or widely-read these days, and I don’t suppose many people would put her at the top of their lists, but she consistently – 70+ novels over 50 years – produced solid entertaining crime books. She did several different series, and many standalones, and the tone and style varied a lot. I have done posts on eight of them – a substantial presence, though not shaking the surface of her oeuvre.

I preferred her straightforward crime stories, particularly the 30s and 40s ones, and have said before now that some of her later books resembled romantic thrillers - adventures of a feisty young woman who is going to find love as well as uncover a crime, probably in a semi-exotic location – see for example this one, Alibi for a Witch. They are rather like Mary Stewart books, though in my opinion not as good.

 Whereas – the 1946 Murder Among Friends couldn’t be more different, and is a truly excellent murder story both for creating convincing characters and giving a haunting picture of the Home Front of WW2 in London.



Hunt the Tortoise is very much in the romantic thriller mode: a few years after the war ends, a young woman goes back to a French seaside village in the South of France – a place, a hotel and people that she knew well. She is seeking some kind of closure, though we don’t immediately know what, and it is obvious that the war is not forgotten, and changed things a lot.

Incidentally, she is called Celia Kent. There is no reason why that name should be keyed to a time – Celia is a Roman martyr’s name and turns up in Shakespeare (as You Like it) and George Eliot (Middlemarch). Yet somehow I feel ‘Celia Kent’ would always be the young attractive heroine of a 1950s thriller. (could easily be a Mary Stewart name).

Anyway, she turns up at her hotel and it is full of strange people and it is extremely difficult to keep track of who is who: too many characters, all introduced initially by appearance, So there is ‘a black-haired sunburnt man… an unknown middle-aged woman… a big burly blond man.’ Their names come later  - a few pages maybe – something that drives me mad in books.

There is a lot of weird staccato dialogue, people walking away in mid-conversation, nothing really explained. There is a lot going on, with the owners and staff of the hotel, and with the guests.

“What’s wrong?” she asked. “What’s wrong with everybody? What’s in the air? Canadian divers and treasure ships, ungrateful sons and anxious parents, voices that talk in the night about mortal terror, Frenchwomen who think that England and Frace should be one nation, lucky tortoises, husbands who are afraid of their wives talking to me in case they should say what they shouldn’t. Is that what one expects to find when one comes on a holiday?”

Well yes indeed.

Now, the tortoise  of the title: it IS a lucky tortoise, and it gets lost – or did someone hide it? -  and everyone looks for it, and that is when something bad happens. It felt a bit glued on, though I like the oddity of the title.



There was some clothes description: I was surprised at how informal people were – ‘a woman of 45… wearing shorts and a linen jumper and a gaudy cotton handkerchief round her head’. This is at lunch in the hotel.

One man comes to lunch in his swimming-shorts and beachrobe. I think none of this would’ve been likely in a British hotel of the era, even a holiday resort.


There is a fete over several days which is very nicely and vividly described:

‘The evening’s so beautiful now, the lights are pretty, the music’s so silly and so cheerful, the air’s so soft, and the young people in their charming dresses look so happy and free.’

The hotel had become very noisy. They saw a large crowd gathered round the bar. There was singing and laughter, and one or two couples were dancing in and out among the tables.



 

I found this an entertaining read, and although the style was odd (and there seemed various loose ends), I got used to that, and it made for an unchallenging Sunday afternoon read. I very much liked that she created a fascinating and complex atmosphere: the leftover suspicions and difficulties of the war, the determination to try to recover a good life, the charm of the fete, and the happy warmth of the South of France – not yet the tourist magnet it would become.

It was interesting to compare it with Eric Ambler’s Epitaph for a Spy, which I read a couple of years ago: that was written and set in the runup to the War, but has a very similar setting in a small hotel with attention turning on all the guests in turn (and I would say Ambler was the better writer).

Kate at Cross-Examining Crime also likes to read a Ferrars – she reviewed this one a couple of years ago, and reading it after I’d written this, I found we had both chosen the exact same quote to summarise the plot.

-- and Bev at My Reader's Block also has a very helpful review - and also chose that exact same quote!

Tracy at Bitter Tea and Mystery has also reviewed several Ferrars books, though not actually this one.

The two b/w pics of, exactly, young people dancing at a French fete are from a book of old photos that I wrote about in this blogpost.

 

 

Comments

  1. I'm now trying to remember how Monsieur Hulot and his fellow holiday-makers dressed at their little resort around the same time (Brittany, however, not the Riviera). I think they were pretty informal. I've not read many books by Elizabeth Ferrars - "Murder Among Friends" is excellent as you say, but on the whole I wouldn't go out of my way to find others though happy to pick them up if they come my way at a reasonable price. This one sounds interesting though - I shall put it on my list.
    Sovay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm similar - I have picked up quite a few of her books over the years, and I look at them on the shelf and think I don't remember much about them but happy to have one to pick up now and again.
      I am - of course! - always fascinated by these questions of how formal and informal people could be. I think you're right - films would be a good resource. I'd be peering at the extras in the background rather than following the main action.
      In snapshots of beaches in Britian in the 50s and 60s, you can see that most of the men are in suits - loosened up, perhaps no tie, jacket draped on the deckchair. Some are in shorts and so on, but a suit was obviously de rigeur.

      Delete
    2. Monsieur Hulot and his fellow holiday-makers were pretty informal, but they never descended to "shorts and a linen jumper and a gaudy cotton handkerchief round her head" or "swimming-shorts and beachrobe" as far as I can recall.

      Delete
    3. Thanks - it does sound quite unlikely doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. Ferrars was more prolific than a lot of people may think, Moira, and it's interesting that she hasn't gotten more notice. I've liked the work of hers that I've read, although I've not read this one. To me, it's interesting how she tries out different sorts of novels and plots. I give authors credit who do that, even if one form or another doesn't come well to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Margot, you put it very well. There is always another of her books to try, and there is always something to like...

      Delete
  3. Christine Kendell4 June 2024 at 12:47

    I was vaguely aware of the name and now will seek her out.
    On the subject of informality, I recently read of hotel guests coming down to breakfast in pajamas! (Not beach pajamas either). Very hard to believe. A 1930s 'housecoat' would be a different matter, I suppose, but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting article on pajamas, beach and otherwise. It says they were later called slacks (or "slex"?):. https://thevintagewomanmagazine.com/pajama-fashion/

      Delete
    2. Christine Kendell4 June 2024 at 15:54

      That's interesting, and they're a bit like today's lounge wear. I'm sure you're right about "slex"!

      Delete
    3. Slex! As featured in Elizabeth Daly's 'Nothing can Rescue Me' https://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2021/05/nothing-can-rescue-me-by-elizabeth-daly.html

      that's a great article, Marty, with fabulous pictures

      Delete
    4. Christine, yes, very modern-looking...

      Delete
    5. And Christine (sorry, the threading of comments gets involved) the idea of hotel breakfast in pyjamas is shocking - but you feel that may be the way the world is going.
      I think you might enjoy Ferrars, worth a try

      Delete
  4. I reviewed this one a few years ago as well. I thought it one of her best stand alones. https://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/search?q=hunt+the+tortoise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bev - very good review, and I see that you, Kate and I all chose the same quote!
      I have added a link to your post above.

      Delete
  5. Ferrars has been a favorite of mine for a long time. I like he series with the Freers, probably because of the career woman lead, and their unusual relationship. Is there such a thing as a dysfunctional divorce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is always a lot to enjoy, even in the weaker books, and many of them are very good. And yes, that is an unusual relationship, but strangely believable

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the link to my blog. I have not read nearly as many books by Ferrars as I would like to, and you were the one who got me started reading Ferrars, when you sent me the copy of Skeleton in Search of a Cupboard.

    It is hard to find easy to read copies of her books. I have a few in hard copy and several as eBooks, but those are mostly her series books. I will look more seriously for some more of them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment