Kipling – slight mourning and mitigated affliction

 Three and – an Extra by Rudyard Kipling

short story, magazine publication 1886, in Plain Tales from the Hills 1888

 

 


[excerpt] About half-past five in the evening a large leather-covered basket came in from Phelps’s for Mrs. Bremmil. She was a woman who knew how to dress; and she had not spent a week on designing that dress and having it gored, and hemmed, and herring-boned, and tucked and rucked (or whatever the terms are), for nothing. It. was a gorgeous dress - slight mourning. I can’t describe it, but it was what The Queen calls ‘a creation ’—a thing that hit you straight between the eyes and made you gasp. She had not much heart for what she was going to do; but as she glanced at the long mirror she had the satisfaction of knowing that she had never looked so well in her life. She was a large blonde and, when she chose, carried herself superbly.

 

 


comments: A kind reader pointed this story out to me, when I recently wrote about mourning clothes. It is one of Rudyard Kipling’s Plain Tales from the Hills, and tells of a young couple, out in India, who have lost a child. The wife grieves so whole-heartedly that her husband becomes restless, and is drawn into the orbit of Mrs Hauksbee, an adventuress who appears in several Kipling stories.  Our heroine, Mrs Bremmil, realizes what is happening, and digs herself out of her bereavement to fight back. In the previous posts we have had semi-bereavement wear, and I have seen references to a ‘famous London shop’ with a Mitigated Affliction Department: though this even at the time was seen as either a good joke or a step too far in euphemism. I haven’t seen any proof that such a department actually existed, and it may be an urban myth. The phrase ‘mitigated affliction’ was widely used ironically.

Here it is slight mourning. (I found a book that distinguished among ordinary, secondary and deep mourning, along with slight mourning, half-mourning and complimentary mourning. But my research suggests that such a variety was not widespread, and a simpler structure was normal.)


It is a short straightforward story, very much Kipling in his bluff gent mode, where woman are mysterious and men cannot deal with them. The final lines of the story include this: ‘Take my word for it, the silliest woman can manage a clever man; but it needs a very clever woman to manage a fool’ – the kind of superficially appealing conclusion that makes less sense the more you think about it.

But – Kipling is always a good easy read, and obviously I wasn’t going to pass up the chance to try to imagine exactly what Mrs Bremmil wore.



You can read the story on the website of The Kipling Society, which is a great, generous resource, and they always have background – such as that this is the first appearance of Mrs Hauksbee. I asked the society if they could tell me what the title meant, and I got a reply from Michael Kipling, (he shares a common ancestor with Rudyard…) who says that it is thought to be the number of dances that Mr Bremmil is going to give, eventually, to his wife. The dash is in an odd place, to my eyes: I would expect it to be Three – and an Extra.

Kipling featured on the blog recently because I was considering (as I often do) his mysterious short story Mrs Bathurst blogpost here – which also discussed Kim, and the Just So Stories have also had a post. Mrs B was written nearly 20 years later than this one, and is a lot more complex. A lot. No quick conclusions about foolish men.

And in the comments on this post (one of this series on mourning, though this is just coincidence…), there is a discussion of both Kipling and George Orwell’s take on him. (I have the smartest readers)

Very happy to find the top picture for the post. It’s from the NY MetropolitanMuseum fashion collection  and has the caption 'Mr Waddles arrives late and finds her card filled’, which is very much in the spirit of this story.

At Christmas I used another in the same series

A Boring Christmas from Trollope (clothesinbooks.blogspot.com)

They are both from a collection illustrating mourning practices

There’s a surprisingly modern and disrespectful feel about the pictures, by Charles Dana Gibson, which show a widow rather longing to get back to a normal life.   Gibson was a very well-known illustrator in his day, famed for creating the iconic Gibson Girl.

In both cases it is later than the original story, but seemed right…and a widow can stand in for a bereaved mother.

The other pictures are fashion plates from the correct era.

Comments

  1. I honestly have a hard time getting past Kipling's views about women and non-whites, Moira. But he did have an easy writing style. I'd actually never heard of 'slight mourning' before; that's an interesting term, and I can imagine it from what you've shared here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all make our judgements at a different point, don't we Margot? And that's fine in my view and makes for interesting discussion.
      When I saw 'slight mourning' I had to re-check in a different version in case it was a typo - I'd never seen it before either!

      Delete
  2. Oh lordy. "Mr. Waddles arrives late.... " I wonder if the lady, seeing the elderly swain waddling her way, quickly filled in the last few blanks on her card herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee. She's not really hiding much with that facial expression is she?
      presumably there was a whole way of dealing with the dance cards - getting out of ones you didn't want, but never being left alone, and being ready when Mr Right came along. A skill young women had to learn.

      Delete
    2. I suspect the best policy was to fill up one's card early, then be ruthless about cutting the less attractive if a more appealing prospect turned up!

      Extras were also helpful as they weren't on the card, so once an extra or two had been slotted in by the band you could plausibly claim that you had lost track of your intended sequence of partners. See Barbara Goring in Anthony Powell's "A Buyer's Market".
      Sovay

      Delete
    3. I can see you would have handled this with aplomb, Sovay! I think I would have been very bad at managing this, honestly when I come across it in books I think 'thank goodness I didnt have to navigate that.' I would've accidentally ended up married to Mr Waddles.

      Delete
    4. On reflection, the ruthless cutting would probably only work in the longer term if you were a very pretty and popular deb - if not, potential partners might stop asking! I always have the impression that even in London at the height of the social season, the debs significantly outnumbered the dancing men - who apparently didn't get dance cards but were expected to remember whom they'd asked to dance and in what order. I suppose they could always scribble a list surreptitiously on their shirt cuff...
      Sovay

      Delete
    5. Yes exactly, it would have worried me terribly that I would turn down dances and then be left wallflowering it. there are sad stories of debs sitting in the powder room so as not to be too blatantly unpartnered.

      Delete
  3. It is frightening that Kipling first published the 29 stories in Plain Tales of The Hills in seven months when he was aged 20/21 for the Civil and Military Gazette (at least according to the introduction in my Penguin Classic edition).
    On rereading it today, I am prepared to give some leeway for the final line, which is given to the defeated Mrs Hauksbee immediately after she has been snubbed by Mr Bremmil in favour of his wife. Seeing it as a facesaving, rueful witticism that acknowledges her defeat but says that the wife was a worthy enemy makes it easier to see it as a character point rather than the authorial voice.
    Two quick points- in my edition, the immediately preceding story is Lispeth, which is remarkably sympathetic to the title character, whose emotions aren't treated as serious because she was born a native. I have a recollection of someone making the point in the Guardian years ago that whatever his views on India as a whole, he liked and knew individual Indians. A debating point is whether, in that regard, he comes over better now than either Orwell or EM Forster.
    Second, I will always have a soft spot for him because of reading Puck of Pook's Hill and the Just So Stories as a child. I understand that the former helped inspire Rosemary Sutcliffe to write Eagle of the Nonth and her other historical stories (which, if true, is another weight in the balance for him).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was saying to another commenter that I will have to reread Plain Tales. And a fair defence of that line.
      And, as above, we all come down slightly differently re: Kipling. I have a very mellow view of him on the whole.
      That is fascinating about Eagle of the Ninth - I didn't know that, and yes that would get him a long way!

      Delete
  4. I liked that the narrator went in with Mrs Hauksbee to the dinner at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kipling had the trait I like most in writers - a good heart even for the theoretical 'villains'. It is astonishing, as pointed out by Adrian above, that he was so young when he wrote this - that kindly man-of-the-world air of the narrator is most impressive.

      Delete
  5. I used to read a lot of Kipling - he's an entertaining writer and not quite the mindless imperialist he tends to be painted as. I was surprised a few years back to find that Billy Bragg had set his "Pict Song" to music, but on closer examination it's a poem with quite an ambiguous point of view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that poem and whoah! it's an interesting read. Exactly as you say, he is not a 'mindless imperialist'. And I always say - he asked questions and he changed his mind. Too many people just assume he was a colonialist exploiter.

      Delete
  6. I think I've finally worked out how to sign in and comment and get notifications again - after years of struggling and having to remember which posts I commented on in order to go back and see what replies i got! Anyway.....

    I suspect the store being referenced is Peter Robinson, who had a Mourning Warehouse - if you look in my book Edwardian Fashion, you'll find an advertisement for them in the intro. Interesting bit of trivia - Peter Robinson ultimately became Top Shop! Jay's was another department store that was known for its mourning department, but Peter Robinson was THE go-to in London for everything death and mourning related, even down to finding someone to conduct the funeral for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you've been having such trouble commenting, and I miss you! I have the same issue with commenting on others' blogs, and it is absolutely infuriating, you get lost in a circle of doom, but I suppose blogger is a free service, they don't seem able to fix that. Anyway, always lovely to hear from you...
      And thanks for the extra info - I will look in your book. And I just about remember Peter Robinson, that building on Oxford Circus. Was it that TopShop was originally a department in the basement, and gradually moved up to take over the whole building?
      I can still remember the excitement as a provincial visiting London for the day, and going down the flashy shiny escalators to Top Shop and the palace of dreams for a teenager...
      Very different, I'm guessing, from the sedate mourning department!

      Delete
    2. Top Shop was basically Peter Robinson's "young and hip" section in the 70s (competing with all the other department stores and their "trendy youngster" sections, like Miss Selfridge), and Top Shop ultimately ended up absorbing Peter Robinson altogether, or at least that is how it seems!

      Delete
    3. That's what it felt like, spreading out into the more staid sections. I also remember taking my daughter to the giant Top Shop 30 years after I used to go, and it just seemed exactly the same...

      Delete

Post a Comment