Framley Parsonage by Anthony Trollope: not many dragons

Framley Parsonage by Anthony Trollope

 

published as a magazine serial 1860 and in book form in 1861




 

[excerpt] Griselda displayed no lack of a becoming interest. She went to work steadily, slowly, and almost with solemnity, as though the business in hand were one which it would be wicked to treat with impatience. She even struck her mother with awe by the grandeur of her ideas and the depth of her theories. Nor let it be supposed that she rushed away at once to the consideration of the great fabric which was to be the ultimate sign and mark of her status, the quintessence of her briding, the outer veil, as it were, of the tabernacle—namely, her wedding-dress. As a great poet works himself up by degrees to that inspiration which is necessary for the grand turning-point of his epic, so did she slowly approach the hallowed ground on which she would sit, with her ministers around her, when about to discuss the nature, the extent, the design, the colouring, the structure, and the ornamentation of that momentous piece of apparel.

…As far as silks and satins went—in the matter of French bonnets, muslims, velvets, hats, riding-habits, artificial flowers, head-gilding, curious nettings, enamelled buckles, golden tagged bobbins, and mechanical petticoats—as regarded shoes, and gloves, and corsets, and stockings, and linen, and flannel, and calico … Griselda Grantly went to work with a solemn industry and a steady perseverance that was beyond all praise.

 

 


comments: I am happily reading my way through Trollope as and when they come to me, in the confident assurance that I am not going to run out soon. Blogfriend Marty always has a recommendation, along with ideas for my next Mrs Oliphant book – but in this case it was the author Jo Walton who sent me off to read this one, and for a most unlikely reason.

In 2004, she wrote a marvellous novel about dragons: called Tooth and Clawread my blogpost here – and she explained that she wanted to write a Victorian novel with a different, dragon-based, set of rules, and picked Framley Parsonage. Well that was as good a reason as any to embark on this one, and indeed it is clear that Walton has used the original plot as a basis for her book, while going off in her own directions and inventing a wonderful dragon world.

[ADDED LATER: and Jo Walton came in to comment on this post and her use of Trollope, see below]

Framley Parsonage, meanwhile, is very much in Trollope-world. The vicar, Mark Robarts, lives there, on the estate of his childhood friend Lord Lufton. He is married with children, and is trying to balance spiritual and worldly interests – he wants to go hunting, and does so rather too much for a cleric. (I wrote in this post about how Trollope was over-keen on hunting, and so rather forgiving of this.)

Robarts gets pulled into all kinds of troubled matters, in particular standing as guarantor for someone he scarcely knows – you don’t have to have read many books to see how that is going to end up.

Meanwhile his sister Lucy comes to stay – she is single, so maybe will find a husband?

Lord Lufton’s mother wants her eligible son to marry the beautiful but cold Griselda. Lord Lufton is looking elsewhere.

The details of clergy income and money are dealt with carefully as ever, and there is a sad subplot concerning the curate:

Mr. Crawley had married almost as soon as he was ordained, and children had been born to him in that chill, comfortless Cornish cottage. He had married a lady well educated and softly nurtured, but not dowered with worldly wealth. They two had gone forth determined to fight bravely together; to disregard the world and the world's ways, looking only to God and to each other for their comfort. They would give up ideas of gentle living, of soft raiment, and delicate feeding.

It does not go well for them – his determination not to do anything to improve their lives reminded me of the 20th century Welsh clergyman and poet RS Thomas, who features in this blogpost.

We are glad that Crawley gets at least one good meal.

Lady Lufton insisted that he should go with her to luncheon. He hummed and ha'd and would fain have refused, but on this subject she was peremptory. It might be that she was unfit to advise a clergyman as to his duties, but in a matter of hospitality she did know what she was about. Mr. Crawley should not leave the house without refreshment. As to this, she carried her point.

The greedy Lord Dumbello has a quite different view of food:

"A man who can really give a good dinner has learned a great deal," said Lord Dumbello, with unusual animation.

"An immense deal. It is quite an art in itself: and one which I, at any rate, by no means despise. But we cannot always be eating—can we?"

"No," said Lord Dumbello, "not always." And he looked as though he lamented that his powers should be so circumscribed.

We looked at the possibilities for 19th century women (in novels and in real life) in this entry on The Small House at Allingham – there is a marvellous discussion on the marriage plot in fiction among readers in the comments – and it is always an issue in Trollope. He is sympathetic to women, though not always sympathetic enough. These are the thoughts of Mrs Grantly, Griselda’s mother:

Griselda's chance of a first- rate establishment would be better if she were a little more impulsive. A man does not wish to marry a statue, let the statue be ever so statuesque. She could not teach her daughter to be impulsive, any more than she could teach her to be six feet high; but might it not be possible to teach her to seem so? The task was a very delicate one, even for a mother's hand…

[Griselda and one of her young men like dancing together] Some point of interest more serious in its nature than that of a waltz might have been found on which to connect her daughter's sympathies with those of her future husband. But any point of interest was better than none; and it is so difficult to find points of interest in persons who by their nature are not impulsive.

Poor Griselda.




There are two ‘dragons’ in the Trollope: several mentions of an inn called The Dragon of Wantly—(‘meet me there at two to-morrow’). And a young man thinking about his mother’s hopes for his marriage: “She'd like me to bring a dragon home, I suppose. It would serve her right if I did—some creature that would make the house intolerable to her."

Piano music, 1861, Library of Congress

Bride and groom in church from NYPL, 1859.

In a room, also NYPL

Comments

  1. Poor Griselda, indeed, Moira. I like this look at the social structure, and the way you had to make it work for you best as possible, if that makes any sense. But...but...why no dragons? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't waste any pity, or even sympathy, on Griselda! Later books in the series make it clear that she is quite shallow, and Lord Lufton is right to keep shy of her. (Not that he's a big enough prize in her eyes to be in any danger!) And the Crawley family plays a big part in the final Barsetshire book. Speaking of Barsetshire, I've been re-reading some Thirkell books now that I've sampled Trollope, and realizing that almost every name she used was taken from his books. In one book she is so bold as to mention old Miss Lily Dale from Allington who has "spinster" written on her heart and dislikes the DeCourcy family very much for some reason!

      Delete
    2. Something else I've noticed with Trollope and Thirkell is that even with Trollope's of-his-time views, his married folks are much more realistic than hers! Of course she wasn't aiming for realism, but still....

      Delete
    3. Well Margot - I think the answer is clear! Trollope didn't *understand* dragons. Poor man.

      Delete
    4. Marty, I know what you mean about the likes of Griselda - but I also think, these women had no opportunities, no choices, they weren't raised to be excited about life! Maybe she would have been happy as, I dunno, a gardener or a researcher... but she had no options. I always feel sorry for Rosamund Vincy in Middlemarch - yes she was no help to Lydgate, but he wasn't perfect either, and she did exactly what she had been raised for. I know this isn't a popular view!
      Very interesting points about Thirkell! I enjoy her books very much, but no, she isn't in the same class....

      Delete
    5. It just hit me that maybe your "poor griselda" is sarcastic...stuff takes a while to get to my brain sometimes.

      Delete
    6. No really it wasn't! I just think to be judged in that way is horrible, even if she isn't the best or brightest of girls.

      Delete
    7. I did once check to see whether Thirkell and Trollope were related (as I knew she was related to Burne Jones, Kipling and Stanley Baldwin; it wouldn't have surprised me) to see if that justified her homage. She wasn't, but what did take me by surprise was that she seemed to have used Trollope's mother as a role model as both wrote to keep their families financially afloat. They also seem to have both experienced a complicated/unhappy married life.
      Perhaps being conscious of the implications of not having enough money helped make Trollope such an empathetic writer. I do remember enjoying The Three Clerks because it seemed to be drawing on his own experience.

      Delete
    8. I think I vaguely wondered that too, that family had tentacles everywhere. I looked at Monica Baldwin's memoir of leaving a nunnery, and she was one of them, and I think Angela Thirkell helped her out.
      It does seem that the early financial troubles had a tremendous effect on Anthony - wasn't there mortification because the school fees weren't paid. Interesting that Angela Thirkell was another - Mrs Oliphant was similar I think, in terms of having to support her family urgently.

      Delete
    9. I've read nearly all of Thirkell, but not enough Trollope yet to identify the character who is the model for the Bishop she so loathed.

      Delete
    10. It's not just the names Thirkell borrows---her characters are definitely descendents of Trollope's families, and she alludes to old scandals and financial skullduggery! That's one of the things that makes it possible for me to put up with her classism ("very much of its time," thank you for that phrase, Moira!), because it's so delightful to see the Huge Plot Problem reduced to vaguely remembered gossip about a great-aunt, or was it another generation back? All the same in a hundred years!

      Delete
    11. Shay, I love Trollope, but (most unlike me) I am fine with the idea that I read them out of order, and as they come, and I don't follow the connections, and I probably won't read them all in my lifetime. I'm just glad there will always be another one.

      Delete
    12. Dame Eleanor, that is a really excellent description of the intricacies and issues, thank you!

      Delete
  2. Am hoping to downsize, and I’m currently culling books, especially classics where I can get free Kindle editions, so Trollope is in the charity pile, replaced by modern technology, and I’m ready to be distracted… Books are meant to be read, not boxed and bagged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many Trollope books are free on fadedpage.com and openlibrary.org too.

      Delete
    2. I *never* thought I would get rid of books, but it has been immensely liberating and I haven't regretted my donation to Oxfam of 3000 books. I know some people don't like Kindle, but to me it as an absolute life-saver. And if you find the text of a classic online, you can usually send it to your Kindle.
      For blogging it is wonderful because I can easily make notes as I go along and mark up quotations, then just copy and paste the into the entry.
      I will never have no paper books, but am surprised by how many I can do without!

      Delete
  3. The thing I had to completely change to make the (dragon) characters sympathetic to a modern reader was the loan plot. It's funny, at the time it felt as if I was just doing Framley Parsonage, but now I look at it and see all the places I had to do different things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so gratified that you have come to comment! Thank you. That's very interesting about the money. I am no financial wizard, but I do get impatient with people in books who act like idiots about money. (And not just because 'you know how that turns out in books' - just straightforward idiocy too)
      Very much enjoyed both his book and yours, as I hope you can tell.

      Delete
  4. Love Framley Parsonage. Griselda inspired the character of Tanya in The Three Graces - two of whose three octogenarian heroines become friends because of their shared love of Trollope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda - Three Graces coming on the blog soon, so this will add an extra dimension.

      Delete
  5. Griselda didn't have a lot of options, and maybe she was a product of her environment. Still, the Grantly family had good hearts, which Griselda apparently didn't inherit. I got the impression that she had her sights set on the richest and highest-ranking man she could get. (I love that name Lord Dumbello!) I agree about Rosamund Vincy getting sort of a raw deal. If Lydgate thought she would be a sensible, thrifty helpmate then he needed his head examined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it shows what great characters he (& George Eliot) created that we can discuss them like people we know. I'm struck that someone is going to write novels from their points of view, like Wide Sargasso Sea...

      Delete
  6. ISTR that in his autobiography, Trollope was miffed that The Three Clerks wasn't that well received as he thought it one of his best.

    I first read Middlemarch when I was about eighteen and I absolutely hated Rosamund, thinking she'd ruined Lydgate's life. Like you, I've got far more sympathetic to her as I've got older. I've lost count of the number of times I've read the book, yet Trollope doubts that any 'young person' could enjoy it because it's more a philosophical work than a novel, according to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have to read The Three Clerks, my lovely readers don't think I have enough books on my TBR already!

      Yes, exactly, at 18 you think as the author instructs you: as you get older you start thinking abou it more I think.
      Trollope said that about Middlemarch? fascinating. I always like Virginia Woolf saying it was one of the rare books written for grownups.

      Delete
  7. I visited the RS Thomas link and have just finished the first book in Phil Rickman's Merrily Watkins series. Thanks for the introduction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, that's great! Fair's fair - you send a lot of titles my way...

      Delete
  8. I agree with Marty. No need to feel sorry for Griselda. Later books in the Barsetshire series make it clear that she is not to be pitied. Yes, she may be shallow and the marriage market may be deplorable, but that is how is: she plays her cards shrewdly, and gets what she wants out of life and marriage. Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Chrissie - see my comment above. I think there's room for a revisionist novel written from Griselda's POV!

      Delete
    2. Is Griselda going to be divisive here--the Fanny Price of Trollope World? I can't see her as an interesting anti-heroine. As Trollope wrote her she isn't very lively, and he remarked of her that "she gave but little to society beyond the beauty of her form and face." He compared her appearance to marble, and implied there wasn't a whole lot behind the facade. Not that her circumstances and "career" wouldn't make a good story, but not sure about her as the lead....

      Delete
    3. I love the idea of her as Fanny-Price-divisive! Brilliant.
      And it is always fascinating when readers feel differently about characters from how authors intended. I presume JA really liked Fanny Price, and she also believed that no-one would like Emma which is so far from the truth.

      Delete
  9. What are you talking about, Moira! I like Fanny Price! Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great controversy! I can see we will need to have tshirts made with #teamFannyPrice and #TeamMaryCrawford on them.
      There was a wonderful discussion here recently on whom you would marry if you had to, Mr Collins, or Wickham. Do you think Fanny Price would have been a good wife for Mr C?

      Delete
  10. Trollope's my favourite of the Victorian Big Male Novelists but that's not saying much - however I have enjoyed a couple of his books (The Eustace Diamonds and Barchester Towers) and I note that Jo Walton on her website recommends Phineas Finn. I think I may give Framley Parsonage a miss, though, and track down her dragon version instead.

    Angela Thirkell is a guilty pleasure for me - I seesaw between amusement (she can be so funny) and annoyance (she is so bigoted - I find I can't apply the "of her time" justification). After The Brandons annoyance outweighs amusement and I can't read any of her later novels without steam coming out of my ears at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon is Sovay - I keep forgetting to ID myself.

      Delete
    2. I'm a lot less torn by my enjoyment of Thirkell than many. Perhaps because I am a glass-half-full person, I can see Mrs Morland as more of a self-parodying Ariadne Oliver author insert (especially the remarks which make it clear she is happier without a husband) than a perfect woman and the various noble but tired middle-class women of a certain age beloved by all as being a tabula rasa for her readers of a certain age to identify with.
      Also, when comparing her characters with those in Georgette Heyer's detective stories and even Nancy Mitford's works, a lot of the wealthy or semi-wealthy characters do have a sense of responsibility to the wider community and actually work for a living. Whether this is what the community wants may be a different matter, but they do try. There are worse hypocrisies in the world than nobless oblige.
      There are then the unexpected details - i remember you writing about the clearly same-sex couple one of whose books had been banned and joking that there was some sort of rota. I rather liked the efficient young lady from the BBC who enters into a "companionate marriage" to help the careers of both her and her clearly gay husband-to-be and deals beautifully with a professional flirt and not quite eternal bachelor.
      I also like the fact that we get glimpses of the main characters of earlier books with the observer making slightly waspish comments which echo what I remember thinking about them at the time.
      It's also that she's a good enough author that even when writing characters she clearly expects you to dislike, she humanises them enough that you can see their point of view and feel annoyed on their behalf. Even then, I quite enjoyed the development of the self made industrialist from figure of fun to mainstay of the community is something I appreciated.
      Some of the above is a little over-stated, but I don't believe that she needs to be a guilty pleasure.

      Delete
    3. Sovay - I completely rely on other people to bring up my next Trollope, and that works fine! I always have a couple on my Kindle, and one is the Eustace Diamonds. I will report back! hope you enjoy the Jo Walton, I do think she is a marvellous writer.
      Angela Thirkelll I can only take in small doses, but I do enjoy bits of them. The later ones do give a very interesting picture of life on the home front.

      Delete
    4. Adrian - that is fascinating and perceptive, and I am thinking about what you say. A very convincing defence! It is true that sometimes she will really surprise me with an unexpected comment or sympathy. You can't always predict her ways, and that is all to the good.
      I'd love to find out more about what her own readers thought of her at the time.

      Delete
    5. Many good pro-Thirkell points, and there's a lot I enjoy about her books which is why I get annoyed with her - by contrast I can dismiss the works of Dornford Yates and Sapper from my life without a second thought. But she supports women only up to a certain point - disparages any aspiration to higher education for women in general, and any aspiration to a future other than domestic service or marriage and children for the daughters of the working class. Not that the sons of the working class should hope for better either - I seem to remember in one of the later novels the news spreading to the higher echelons of Barsetshire society that Jimmy Thatcher from the rural slum of Grumper's End has won a scholarship to University, and there is astonishment and indignation until it turns out that the educational establishment in question isn't a REAL university (ie neither Oxford nor Cambridge) and everyone calms down and unclutches their pearls ...

      If only she weren't so funny ... though I find myself wondering whether it's a coincidence that the upper-class woman who kicks off Jo Walton's "Farthing" by assuming that the Jewish son-in-law of the house is a badly-behaved servant is called Angela Thirkie.
      Sovay

      Sovay

      Delete
    6. thank you, a very reasoned look at her, and yes I feel the same way - can dismiss others completely, but do find something good in Thirkell. Very good catch on Farthing - I'm sure Jo Walton was intentional. She is amazingly widely-read: there is a collection of her reviews that I a intending to get hold of. I love (always) anyone who does highbrow, lowbrow, genre...

      Delete

Post a Comment