Those celebrity crime authors: a name from the past

Epitaph for an Actor by Dulcie Gray

published 1960





[excerpts] The bedroom was one of the most sumptuous rooms John had ever seen… Mrs Strang was propped up on her pillows looking very pale She wore no makeup and seemed considerably older than John had expected but fragile and rather charming.

She was wearing an attractive quilted bed jacket. She smiled at him with great sweetness, and shook hands formally. ‘How good of you to come,’ she said in a small, exhausted voice.



[later] Ann Strang [was] sitting in her lovely drawing-room in Hamstead drinking a martini. She was looking fragile and pretty in a black, very simple dress. She was extremely pale.


comments: I don’t blame crime writers for getting annoyed about famous people jumping in and writing murder stories – the celebrities, who sometimes seem to think that it is easy to write a good detective story, get endless publicity and interviews and perhaps unwarranted sales. I have been slightly rude about a few of them, while standing firm that Richard Osman really can write good crime books. But I was surprised to find recent evidence of how long this has been going on – it is not the recent phenomenon you might suspect… bear with me while I explain.

A character called Dulcie turned up in a book/post recently – Patricia Wentworth’s The Gazebo, here - and there was some discussion of the name: one of my readers mentioned Dulcie Gray and soon I was off down the rabbit hole finding out about her. She was a very successful and well-known British actress from the 1940s onwards. Picking just a few of her achievements:

- She created the role of the waitress Rose in the first stage adaptation of Graham Greene’s Brighton Rock, and made a huge success of it.

- She starred in the film adaptation of Josephine Tey’s The Franchise Affair - a great favourite of crime fans. Though Tey has featured a lot, I have never actually blogged on Franchise, though it is mentioned in this post.

- She played Miss Marple in a stage version of  A Murder is Announced in the 1970s.

- And she was a mainstay of the drama serial Howards' Way in the 1980s – a BBC fixture on Sunday nights. She played Kate Harvey, a sensible mother figure. This blogpost is not about Howards' Way, but I cannot not reproduce this random line from the Wikipedia plot description - spoiler alert - in case you want to get an idea of what kind of programme it was:  'Gerald and Polly's marriage is a sham—an arrangement to cover the fact that Gerald is bisexual, to give him respectability in the business world and give a name to Abby, Polly's illegitimate daughter after an affair at university. Abby herself is pregnant, after a brief relationship in Switzerland.'

When Adrian reminded me of all this in the comments on the Wentworth, I said ‘

Howards' Way! there was a programme. All those men in blue blazers & women in cocktail dresses going over to the drinks tray in their over-decorated sitting rooms.
I just looked up Dulcie Gray and it says 'actress, mystery writer and lepidopterist'. And people think the Kardashians invented that kind of multi-tasking.
I am going to have to try to find a Dulcie Gray murder story now I think - your fault!

And so I did, and here it is. 

She wrote a lot of crime novels, including one with the entrancing title Deadly Lampshade (available copies all too expensive, no matter how tempting the idea), and I picked on Epitaph for an Actor as I do always enjoy a theatrical connection, and it was relatively cheap.

It’s  a very mixed bag. The setup is a group of luvvies rehearsing for a future BBC TV drama, in a squalid rehearsal venue in Paddington. There are the usual connections among the actors, and tensions and undercurrents. Eventually a rather unpleasant man is found shot dead in the gents’ cloakroom. At this point I think the story rather loses it – until then it was at least a convincing setting, with interesting details of the rehearsal process. But Gray doesn’t seem to have much idea about structure, and we are taken off in many different directions with different characters. She keeps introducing new plotlines, new ways in which the dead man was horrible, new connections among the characters. There is an abduction scene that rather beggars belief. None of it convinces, and it is hard to care who sent him to his well-deserved fate. 

There are moments of interest, an attempt to look at the psychology of the victim. He was a divil with the women, and had no conscience, and there is a lot of discussion of what women will put up with, and whose fault is that, eh? Unfortunately I don’t think Gray succeeded in showing what was attractive about him – we all know there are men like that, who can seduce and persuade, and writers can make you believe in that.  But here he just sounded awful.

I have read a lot worse crime novels, but this didn’t tempt me to carry on with the author. She needed a rigorous editor, or to go on a creative writing course. It does not seem as though she had a ghost writer, though she thanks a (very senior) policeman friend for help with procedure. I think the couple of sentences at the top of the post sum it up - they are competent but not brilliant, and rather cliched. But then -  I'm always happy to illustrate a bed jacket and a plain black dress.

And: fair play to her, Dulcie Gray obviously lived a long, successful, and by the sound of things happy life, doing what she liked and enjoyed. She was married to another actor, Michael Dennison – they were a famous theatrical couple, and their marriage lasted and seems to have been a good one. In some ways a perfect career.

Comments

  1. This is really interesting, Moira. You're right that there are a lot of examples of celebrities who've written (or co-written) crime fiction, but like you, I didn't know how long it had been going on. I'll admit I'm not familiar with Dulcie Gray, but I am familiar with the phenomenon. Sometimes it can work, but doesn't sound as though it came off brilliantly here. I'll have to think about that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she was a very British actress Margot, without much American presence. She was very familiar to people of my mother's generation, as was her husband...

      Delete
  2. And what about the lepidoptery angle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was too much to follow up without the butterflies! She became fascinated by them apparently, and wrote a book about them, too. You do wonder whether any of these would have been published without the name...

      Delete
  3. Plus - must watch Howard's Way! Wonder if it's on Youtube? Britbox? That drinks tray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say that reading about it on Wikipedia made it very enticing. Location filming was done not that far from where I live, and they are still very aware of that in local pubs etc. And just pull up the theme tune on YouTube! Astonishing dive into nostalgia.

      Delete
  4. I thought it odd recently that Noel Streatfeild had two bad Dulcie characters (Wintle's Wonders and Babbacombe's) when I had only come across the name one other time (also fictional), Dulcie Lungarde, a carhop with a heart of gold, in the Beany Malone books. However, perhaps this actress was the inspiration for all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My theory is that Noel S had a childhood enemy called Dulcie! Someone who was mean to her at school. As you say, it's quite surprising otherwise.

      Delete
    2. I was looking at the Susan Scarlett's I haven't read yet and found another Dulcie in Poppies for England! "The Corners' daughter Dulcie is attractive and talented, but a bit of a diva, and when she sets her sights on the show's pianist and composer, Tom Pollard, gets not a flicker of response, then discovers that his focus is on Nella Binns, a dancer with real talent but no ability to "put herself over", danger signs flash." Fond though I am of her, I think Noel should have bought herself a Baby Name book to use for inspiration.

      Delete
    3. Oh good catch! I've read a lot of the Susan Scarletts, but don't recall seeing that one at all, it sounds well up to standard. Yes, given that she did use some unusual names sometimes, it's odd that she re-used others...

      Delete
  5. Man, I was once taken to hospital suddenly from my workplace and remained there for a week or so, the first few days wholly dependent on hospital gowns and those awful institutional slippers and no makeup. And concerned people from my office came in droves to visit me once the emergency was past. What I would've given for a nice bed jacket, or heck, even a not-so-nice bed jacket. (Those examples in the illustration? Well, functional.) Cheer up, a kind neighbor eventually brought me a few toiletries and changes of underwear. "Knickers" to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your heart-wrenching story! In my family, the generation above me, the womenfolk had a 'good' nightdress and bedjacket set aside so they were ready if they had to go to hospital. Presumably as they were being carried off in an ambulance with a siren, they were shouting 'third drawer down by the wardrobe'.
      Bed jacket definitely for sitting up in bed in: dressing gown much more useful for heading out to the bathroom.

      Delete
  6. A pity that this was not better as the set-up sounds potentially very interesting (especially as it has the chance of having details from the past, which would be fascinating now). I have always had sympathy with the idea that popular culture of the past can tell us more about how different it was than academic theses.
    I was wondering who you thought were the best of the celebrity authors. I was going to suggest Nancy Spain, but she seems to have been a reverse example of someone who used her writing to become a celebrity. I find her novels great fun, but there again I do like Gladys Mitchell so some of the plot problems don't upset me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for setting me off on this journey!
      Yes, I hard agree on the sociological detail, and Christie in particular - with roughly a book a year for 50 years from 1920 - tells the story of so many aspects of life.
      I will have to think about celebrity authors. I have had varied experiences with Nancy Spain - very much enjoyed one set at a provincial pantomime, which I blogged on a while back.
      I am not a huge fan of Dick Francis books, but he was a celebrity jockey who turned to books, and they were very popular and successful. (though there are now claims that his input was less than advertised...) So much so that I think most people now would think of him as writer rather than jockey.
      Gypsy Rose Lee! Again, a question over whether she wrote the books.
      I will think of some more.

      Delete
  7. I had never heard of Richard Osman before he started writing mysteries but I am really enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! He is very much a British thing, but he is very successful and popular here as a TV presenter - quiz programmes are his thing. But he also had a long career making and producing TV programmes. A clever man!

      Delete
  8. I have a feeling I read a ghost story by Dulcie Gray. Unfortunately I no longer have the anthology, so can't give a title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, interesting! Any memory of whether it was any good? She certainly was accomplished, and wrote a lot.

      Delete

Post a Comment