Reprint of the Year: The Drowning Pool by Ross MacDonald

The big event of the year is back! It’s the Reprint of the Year contest, as run by our own Golden Age Queen & Social Secretary Kate Jackson. ‘In a nutshell, participating bloggers have to nominate two classic crime/mystery titles which have been reprinted this year as an ebook, physical book or audio book.’ Then everybody votes, and Kate announces the results.

 For more on all this see her blog at

Cross-Examining Crime

 

I blogged on At the Sign of the Clove and Hoof last time – this is my second choice:


The Drowning Pool by Ross MacDonald

published 1950

I tried to pick two very different books – one set in an English village, the other southern California, and indeed the two tales do not have much in common.


(I chose this picture to represent a classic MacDonald female, and you can't really see her in last week's Devon fishing village can you?)

The Drowning Pool was the second of Ross MacDonald’s Lew Archer books, featuring his Californian private eye. A couple of the books have featured on the blog.

Most recently I said this: These days I am surprised to find that if I want to read about a Southern Californian private eye (and, of course, I do) then it will be Macdonald and Archer rather than old favourites Chandler and Marlowe. To me these books have stood the test of time more convincingly than Raymond Chandler – and I never thought I’d be saying that.

(I should also have said then that Sue Grafton’s Kinsey MIlhone is another great Californian PI)

I don’t think I’d read this one before and my feeling would be that MacDonald got better later on:  you can see a lot of his continuing themes here, but  I found it a touch uneven, with some undigested chunks of violence in it. But still – imperfect Ross MacDonald is better than many other writers…

The initial setup is of a woman visiting Lew Archer in his office and asking for help:

 

 


If you didn’t look at her face she was less than thirty, quick-bodied and slim as a girl. Her clothing drew attention to the fact: a tailored sharkskin suit and high heels that tensed her nylon-shadowed calves. But there was a pull of worry around her eyes and drawing at her mouth. The eyes were deep blue, with a sort of double vision. They saw you clearly, took you in completely, and at the same time looked beyond you. They had years to look back on, and more things to see in the years than a girl’s eyes had. About thirty-five, I thought, and still in the running.

 

 a cliché, yes, but so well done and promising great things. She has received a poison pen letter threatening to tell her husband what she is up to. She lives a claustrophobic life with her mother-in-law (who holds the purse strings) husband and daughter in a small town. She is plainly scared of any upset, and imposes absurd rules on Archer.

When he starts to investigate, a local amateur dramatic company takes (and how else can I put it?) centre stage. Splendid: I thought we might be in similar territory to Janice Hallett’s highly enjoyable The Appeal (a crime bestseller from a few years ago, with follow-on book The Christmas Appeal out now), and there is one busy and action-filled scene in the theatre.  Next there is a drinks party at his client’s home, set up for the amdram group.



She was dressed to attract attention in a black-and-white-striped linen dress with a plunging neckline and a very close waist. I gave her attention.

And there is a great line from the playwright:

I’ve sought a rather difficult beauty, you know.

This event is also one of difficult beauty, one might say, full of action, and death, and complex scenes, and home truths. It would be climax of any other book, but this is just to get us started... though disappointingly this is more or less the end of any consideration of the amateur dramatic group.

From  now on Archer is mooching around tracking people down with some beautiful and not-so-beautiful blondes, women at the edges of society.  There are many scenes in nightclubs or late-night bars. There is a young chauffeur to contend with. You don’t feel you are expected to solve the crimes.

Archer is the same person he is in all the other books. He is asked:

‘Don’t you ever weary of the soul-destroying monotony of the weather?’

Only of phonies, I thought. Of the soul-destroying monotony of phonies I wearied something awful.

And nothing in the eventual explanation of the plot will surprise a regular reader.

MacDonald was starting as he meant to go on. I find the Archer books mesmerizing and irresistible, and even though this isn’t the very best one, it is still a great book. I would recommend it for your votes for reprint of the year…

Striped dress from Clover Vintage.

Woman in the white blouse – whom, as I say above, I felt very much had the look of any MacDonald  woman of the time – is from the Library of Congress Toni Frissell collection.

[Greenbrier Tennis Festival- portrait of woman] - digital file from original | Library of Congress (loc.gov)

Comments

  1. Macdonald had a unique style, Moira, and his work really does depict Southern California realistically for the times in which he wrote. I like his stories, too, in terms of plot, but honestly, it's the sociocultural setting and the characters that keep me reading his work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree with you more, and I think you know Southern California yourself so your opinion matters even more!

      Delete
  2. You can see what Hollywood thought everyone in the novel looked like, for there is a movie of it, with Paul Newman playing Lew Archer and Melanie Griffith playing somebody's unsatisfactory daughter.

    For what it's worth, the Library of America has brought all or most of MacDonald's novels back into print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first decided to write about this book I fully intended to watch the film too, but time ran away with me, and I failed even to mention the film. Thanks for the reminder, I will try to find it...

      Delete
  3. I haven't read a book by this author yet. It is interesting how you chose contrasting reads, yet interestingly poison pen letters are linked to the village mystery. Poison pen letters as a trope can be surprisingly versatile when it comes to the settings of mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh very good point Kate, I hadn't been alert to that! I did a week's worth of entries on poison pen in crime books a few years ago (well if you insist - this is the roundup post with links https://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2014/09/thursday-list-books-about-poison-pen.html ), but feel I could do another week's worth with subsequent reading, they keep coming. Do you think the incidence of poison pen is in fact much higher in crime books than in real life....?

      Delete

Post a Comment