Death of a Doll by Hilda Lawrence

 

Death of a Doll by Hilda Lawrence

published 1947




It’s a shame Hilda Lawrence didn’t write more crime books – they appeared over a short period of time in the 1940s, and then stopped. I have re-read all of them over the past couple of years, and this one was the best.

Death of a Doll is set in a hostel for young working women in Manhattan, Hope House: an inspired choice. (though afterwards I wondered just how many women lived there – there are at least eight floors of rooms, while only a handful of guests are ever mentioned). We start to follow Ruth Miller, who works in an upmarket department store - another favourite setting of mine – and who is looking forward to a happier life in the hostel: she will be much more comfortable and better off when living there (‘all the hot water you want’…). But when she walks into the busy reception area on her first evening, something happens, and her attitude changes completely. She has obviously seen someone who frightens her.

She dithers around, trying to decide what to do next, how to get out of this situation. A day or two later there is an absolutely extraordinary social event at the Hope House, where every young woman is dressed as a rag doll with a mask on, all the costumes close to identical. By the end of the evening someone is dead. All alibis, timings, last sightings etc worthless because everyone looks the same. In all my experience of reading crime novels, few setups have been quite so ridiculous yet somehow disturbing and memorable and very very creepy.

At the sight of the smiling mask she dropped the bag. “Is that what they wore?”

“It’s ugly isn’t it? Pretty, but ugly. Think of a whole houseful, running up and downstairs, peeping at you out of doors…”

The girls dance together in their costumes: one of them has her mask on backwards:

‘I think I scared her… Cut new eyes and a place for my nose. Nobody thinks of things like that but me. I clowned for the crowd… then I ran into X and we did a two-woman conga.’

(HOW has nobody ever made a film of this most disconcerting scene? The image of unrecognizable women dancing, one with her head on backwards, one maybe a murderer, someone maybe impersonating another, victims, culprits, innocents … If your blood doesn’t run cold at this description, you are dead inside.)

Enter Mark East, series detectives in several of Lawrence’s books, and his associates Miss Bessy and Miss Beulah – not as annoying and tiresome as in A Time to Die, I actually found them amusing here. They have been called in by Roberta, a wealthy young society matron who was a character in A Time to Die, and is now married with a child. The investigation – who was the dead girl, where did she come from, what happened that night? – is quite slow-moving to be honest, I thought, could’ve been tightened up a bit. But I enjoyed the look a life in the era, the details of the running of the hostel, the (assumed) gay relationship between the two women running it, and the search for the motive for the crime. 

Muriel Spark’s The Girls of Slender Means looks at a similar hostel in post-War London – interesting to compare details (windows are important in both books) although I am always surprised all over again to remember that, unlike Lawrence, Spark was not writing contemporaneously: the 1940s May of Teck Hostel appeared in print in 1963. The shared Schiaparelli evening dress, such a feature of top floor life there, was on my original list of inspirations for the blog – the owner lends it out for small bribes – but there is nothing like that among the NY girls.




But there is a blue suit:

The blue was a suit that every woman in New York was trying to wear that fall. It was a bright, electric blue that dulled the eyes and hair of all but the very young, and consequently drew the middle-aged and sallow like a magnet.

Seventy five dollars in stores like Blackman’s, sixteen fifty on Fourteenth Street.

Discovering its fate is important, though it is sad that it turns out not to be well-made… From Vivat.

Some years ago I wrote an article for the Guardian about girls in shared accommodation in literature, but unaccountably failed to mention this book.

You can find more Hilda Lawrence by clicking on the label below. 

Top picture is a costume design for rag dolls in a musical, probably more attractive and more indivicual than the book version, costumes for a musical called Happy Days. The Gay Rag Dolls-4 - NYPL Digital Collections


 

Comments

  1. I prefer Blood in the Snow to this one, but I agree with how the dance scene makes for a wonderfully creepy run up to a murder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ages since I read Blood Upon the Snow, I may need to read it again. She had a lot of good ideas I thought, shame she wrote so little.

      Delete
  2. I would love to see that dance scene filmed, Moira! I can just see how it might play out. And the whole setup does sound creepy underneath the ridiculous - perhaps because of it? At any rate, I find it interesting how some authors, like Lawrence, write just a few books (or even one), and others are so prolific...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed Margot. And she was very good at visuals, which is why I'm surprised no-one has snapped her works up for TV or film. Her time might yet come!

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of this author but am intrigued. I agree that the women in the masks (almost reminds me of the Ugglie Wuglies in The Enchanted Castle) are very creepy. I am reminded of a Fred and Ginger movie (Shall We Dance, I think) in which Fred is pursuing Ginger and suddenly there are dozens of women holding Ginger masks blocking their faces. But no murderers!

    When I lived in NYC I often walked by what had been the legendary Barbizon Hotel for Women. A book came about about it several years ago that I have meant to read and which you would likely enjoy too: https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/money-and-power/a35620210/grace-kelly-barbizon-hotel-history-book-excerpt/

    The apartment that my friend Jean and I moved into in New York had been shared by three guys. Jim shared an office with my sister and when he moved to Alabama, he bought my car (too expensive to keep one in NYC) and we moved into the bedroom that had been his. The apartment originally had been inhabited by University of Michigan alumni who came and went. By the time we got there, only one was left, who also worked with my sister. The fourth roommate was a young doctor we called America's Guest because he helped himself to everything - shampoo, soap, food. He once left the window open and we got burglarized, although a Good Samaritan saw the thief climbing in the window and called the police so he was caught. But Jean married his best friend so it all worked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be writing your own book, I bet you have a lot more stories! I love anything about shared flats, and about young women in their 20s starting to make their way in the world. I will read almost anything with those themes.
      I have heard of the Barbizon, and probably should read that book, thanks for the link.

      Delete
  4. I love this book! So many people have never heard of Hilda Lawrence and it's a shame. The scene where the receptionist is doing beading for extra money and worrying about what will happen when she can no longer see well enough. And someone is wafting around the lobby. Her tired eyes can't quite make out who.......Very scary stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great book, lovely to find another fan: the creation of atmosphere is brilliant. And it sticks in the mind for a long time.

      Delete

Post a Comment