A Kiss Before Dying by Ira Levin

 

A Kiss Before Dying by Ira Levin

published 1953




 

She was beautiful. Her suit was dark green , with a cluster of white silk sparkling at the throat. Her shoes and purse were brown alligator, and there was a froth of dark green veil floating in her feathery golden hair.

 

Many of us are tired of the endless emphasis on ‘twists’ in modern crime fiction: it’s a selling point, and every book must have one. If you have read a lot of books, not many twists will truly surprise you, and if you know you are expecting one, then you are ready for it, it loses the capacity to surprise, and is ultimately disappointing.

Perhaps we need another term for the good ones – Stephen King (below) describes the key moment in this book, A Kiss Before Dying, as a bombshell, so maybe that… It is certainly not to be compared with modern twist-thrillers: it is truly in a class of its own.

It is a book and a half, it really is. I have read it several times over the past 30 years, and it still works its magic, even though I know its tricks, and it is even more impressive that it was Levin’s first novel.

A Kiss Before Dying has featured on the blog before as having one of the best twists in crime fiction. That moment, the one that makes your mouth fall open, is less than two-thirds of the way through – but separately the book has a memorable final couple of pages, and final line. It is an extraordinary book – cold and clear and maybe heartless, but incredibly clever. It is short, and fits a lot in, and has a driving force through its three parts, each called after one of a family of sisters.

That’s why it’s still a great read when you know what’s going on.

It also has a great piece of cluing and detection in it, where a young woman works out what was going on in her sister’s life.

As trailed earlier, Stephen King has described very well what is so clever about the book, according to Wikipedia: ‘[The] bombshell is neatly tucked away about one hundred pages * into the story. If you should happen upon this moment while thumbing randomly through the book, it means nothing to you. If you have read everything faithfully up to that point, it means ... everything.’

*(More than 100 pages in my edition.)

Very good classification.

Ira Levin wrote some very successful mid-20th-century fiction – Rosemary’s Baby, Boys from Brazil, and The Stepford Wives – which actually has made a major and useful addition to the language. (who knew that what 1970s women needed was a phrase to describe being worryingly compliant? Though of course the phrase is only used as a negative or an insult – ‘she’s a Stepford Wife, I’m not’). He also wrote the play Deathtrap, much loved among crime fiction aficionados.

But if I had to bet, I would say it is A Kiss Before Dying that will live on.

Picture from the Clover Vintage Tumbler.

Comments

  1. Brilliant choice of book here, Moira! And it goes to show that there is a difference between a real paradigm shift of a twist - one that really impacts - and the sort of twists that a lot of authors include in their stories. It's not easy to do that well, and especially not in the first novel. I give authors a lot of credit for being able to pull it off! I'm glad you shared that bit about the outfit, too. It reminds me that Levin created some effective descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot, and that's a really good perception about twists...

      Delete
  2. I agree, Moira, it is a very memorable book with a great twist. I think it probably the only book by this author that I would enjoy reading, the others would be much to tense for me. But I am glad I read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read several of his others, but a long time ago: this is the only one that is truly memorable. Though I was the right agegroup to be terrified out of my mind by Rosemary's Baby, book and film. It was quite the thing back then.

      Delete
  3. Do you know, Moira, I don't think I have read this. But I do have a battered old green Penguin copy and it's going to the top of my TBR pile. Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  4. And now I have read it. Could not put it down and blimey! In spite of all the many, many crime novels I have read and in spite of knowing that there is a famous twist, I did not see that coming! Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you Chrissie, what a great pair of comments! So glad you did like it - I didn't want to be didactic, but I think it's a great book for crime fans. I know you'd know what I mean about the endless emphasis on twists these days. This was so much better... one for us

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Yes, this is the real thing, alight. And I was impressed by chilling ruthlessness with which Levin followed through on the immediate consequence of that twist - perhaps unusual for this date. Can't say any more in case it spoils it for others.

      Delete
    3. I know! It would be great to be able to talk freely.... we will get our chance

      Delete

Post a Comment